PDA

View Full Version : Bison vs Jackrabbits

BisonMav
09-25-2003, 05:33 PM
I am ready for some football again. Getting ready for the weekend pilgrimage to the House of Thunder, the Fargodome. I smell a Bison victory this week.

Bison 32 - Jacks 21
Attendance 14,000

GFBisonFan
09-25-2003, 05:42 PM
I agree, Jacks look tough but the Herd have looked the best they have in years.

We'll find out if the first three games have propelled us toward a great season and a NCC title.

This is a game we should win.

Bison 31
Jacks 14

bisononce
09-25-2003, 06:09 PM
We have great coaches, with two weeks, not the usual one, to get ready for the opposition - at home. Jacks a worthy opponent, but they will look manageable after the speed we've faced. And SDSU is road weary... The Turk's crystal ball show: Bison 40 Jacks 10

mojobison
09-25-2003, 07:52 PM
Jackrabbits are good and their offense is explosive.

I'll go with the Bison 31, Jacks 24.

Bisonmav, how did you come up with 32 as a score? :)

BisonMav
09-25-2003, 08:09 PM
10 Field Goals and a Safety. ::)

Seriously it was just a number I pulled out of the hat without thinking too much about it.

JACKGUY
09-25-2003, 10:47 PM
40-10 sound likes a projected blowout. I'm not going to predict an SDSU win in at your house but I am confident the Jacks will score more than 10 points. We may not be Montana, but were not Tusculum either!

WYOBISONMAN
09-25-2003, 10:50 PM
Bison by 17.

JACKGUY
09-25-2003, 11:02 PM
I know this question will get savaged, but what the heck. Would the Bison Fans be so optimistic about their chances of returning to glory in the NCC if you had not played such a great second half in Montana and won the game? Did you see enough against UCD to believe that the Bison are for real and will challenge for an NCC Championship and beyond?

KTF
09-25-2003, 11:40 PM
I think this team has just as much (if not more though yet to be determined) potential as the top teams (St. Cloud, SDSU, UNO) of the NCC right now. The thing that makes this Bison fan excited was not the outright talent but the fact that the team is playing as a "team".

The Montana game to me is a prime example of playing as a "team". Yah they could have hung it up at halftime but instead they worked as a team to win the game. In the second half the Bison used all three phases of the game to win. Not just one big player (play). The Davis game was the same except the offense was unable to turn a turnover into points. Had they done that, it would have been a completely different game (won or lost).

I do think that the Bison players have experienced teams that are by far quicker and more talented then some of the teams in the NCC.

With that being said, yes the Bison have a chance to claim one last NCC title or even a national championship for that matter but it won't be a push over. I also think the Bison fans have been depressed for a while. With the team playing as they did in Montana we know that anything is possible with this team.

One last thing, how is it any different then the Jack fans thinking that the Jackrabbits are going to win on saturday night?

GFBisonFan
09-26-2003, 02:02 AM
I think if the bison kept it within two touchdowns of Montana and played the way they did against UCD, I would still be optimistic. I thought we would be 1-2 at this point anyway, so a loss at Montana would not have changed that. However, as KTF so nicely puts it, we are playing as a team and have looked as smooth as we have in several years. I think this team can play with and beat anyone in DII on any given day. We now have to see if the can play consistently, against great teams and those percieved as having lesser talent. Final scores and record have little to do with this, it is how we look as a team!!! I do think we will challenge for the NCC and beyond.

Tatanka
09-26-2003, 02:46 AM
I think the Bison have already seen the best teams they'll see this year in Montana and UCD. They hung with Montana and certainly deserved the win. They were at least on the same field as UCD. Tusculum was no Crookston, either. Bottom line, though, is that the Bison have excellent coaching, passable talent, and (I definitely agree) a good TEAM.

PS> Bison by 14 on Saturday. First half close, second half ALL BISON.

89rabbit
09-26-2003, 06:59 PM
So what do you boys think, does this week feel like a rivalry game, or just another NDSU vs SDSU game? *Just wondering how the I AA thing is playing up North. *Speaking for myself, I feel a different energy around this years game. My prediction is the same as I put on the SDSU board. The rabbits end the drought in Fargo, SDSU 30 NDSU 28.*

Go SDSU, Go NDSU except this Saturday!

Good Luck to both programs!

JACKGUY
09-26-2003, 07:07 PM
I spoke to Fargo Dome ticket office to order my tickets and they are predicting around 13,000 with a lot of Jack Fans coming to the game.

WYOBISONMAN
09-26-2003, 07:07 PM
89rabbit.....since I am not in Fargo......it feels like elk season..... ;D

Seriously, I think that SDSU has been a very good partner through this whole D1 fight. We have a lot of respect for SDSU and SDSU's fans. I don't think this will every have the feel of a huge rivary because of that. If you compare this with the rivalry against UND you will quickly see that the hostility and gut level hatered of the opponent is not there.

This is a game against a team we respect a great deal. It is not a rivalry. (at least for me).

JACKGUY
09-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Speaking of hostility Jack Fans should check out the bashing of the Jacks administration for the move to D1 on the UND site on D1aa thread. Envy and Jealousy

bisononce
09-26-2003, 07:32 PM
89 Jack. Agree it is hard to "get mad" at the Jacks to the point of a heated rivalry. We respect your players and program and wish you well, except of course, against the Bison. Perhaps we'll have to agree to "spirited contests."

Bisonguy
09-26-2003, 07:58 PM
Who could honestly get real mad at a cute, little, fuzzy bunny? ;) ;D

Texas_Jacks_Fan
09-26-2003, 08:11 PM
Watch out Bisonguy, or we may bite you with our long pointy teeth.
Jacks 27
Bison 24

Go SDSU
Go NDSU-Just not this week!

BisonMav
09-26-2003, 08:29 PM
Jacks, don't trip over or into the Bison Pies.

JACKGUY
09-26-2003, 08:32 PM
So where can we get a drink in dry Fargo? Anybody have suggestions for a hotel in the vicinity of the Dome?

Bison_Kent
09-26-2003, 08:52 PM
There is a Days Inn right across from the Dome on 19th Ave. That is the closest hotel. Here is a link to this hotel:

http://www.travelhero.com/prophome.cfm/id/84985/hotels/reservations/index.html

JACKGUY
09-26-2003, 08:56 PM
Thanks

NDSU_grad
09-26-2003, 09:19 PM
I agree about the whole rivalry thing. SDSU has never tried to strip NDSU of it's accredidation, blocked a name change, or made stupid comments about DI athletics. Unless the administration in Brookings steps it up and starts really pissing us off, I think it will always be a pretty friendly rivalry. There is a fellow grad student here at ISU that is from SDSU that I don't like very much, so I guess that's something. :)

89rabbit
09-26-2003, 09:20 PM
I agree, with everyone. I don't hate the Bison either. Far from it, respect is a term I too would use. Perhaps this stems from the fact that for the most part you have been Football and we have been Basketball. So the word rivalry may have been to strong. I like "spirited contest" that bisononce used.

I for one am glad that our DI/I AA partner dosen't hate us. Looking forward to a great game.

Go Jacks!

P.S. On another thread Monte Paython and the Holy Grail was brought up. Remember what happened to the knights when they came up against the "terrible monster". Beware of the angry bunnies they have pointy teeth and they can jump!

89rabbit
09-26-2003, 09:31 PM
Speaking of hostility Jack Fans should check out the bashing of the Jacks administration for the move to D1 on the UND site on D1aa thread. Envy and Jealousy

I have lurked over there before and you are right. *Poor SDSUFAN gets hammered everyday and he is banned from the board. *I would join in and point out where they are wrong, but they are just plain nuts. *They never let the facts interfere with a good old fashioned NDSU/SDSU/D I bashing, so I don't waste my time.

They need to get over it, and worry about their own program because we (NDSU and SDSU) are not coming back. *The funny part is, it is the only topic that ever gets anyone to post. *They can go days without anyone having anything to say besides "Hockey is cool". *

Bisonguy
09-26-2003, 10:21 PM
Jackguy,

Buffalo Wild Wings is right across the street (north)from the Fargodome on 19th Ave. *Reeb's (I think they just have beer/wine) is on 19th. Ave to the east of the dome, close to the McDonald's on 19th. and University. There is also the Bison Turf, but that's a little further from the dome, on University near 12th Ave. north. Make sure you show up early if you want a seat. Buffalo Wild Wings was packed for the Davis game at 3:00.

Any Jack fans that want to know more, send me a message.

BisonInTexas
09-26-2003, 11:21 PM
I have lurked over there before and you are right. *Poor SDSUFAN gets hammered everyday and he is banned from the board. *I would join in and point out where they are wrong, but they are just plain nuts. *They never let the facts interfere with a good old fashioned NDSU/SDSU/D I bashing, so I don't waste my time.

They need to get over it, and worry about their own program because we (NDSU and SDSU) are not coming back. *The funny part is, it is the only topic that ever gets anyone to post. *They can go days without anyone having anything to say besides "Hockey is cool". *

I too have lurked on the board and sometimes I laugh out loud on their reasoning on why NDSU (and SDSU) will fail in DI and why UND is better positioned to go DI (despite having a president that bad-mouths DI and never having gone through the trouble of doing any independent studies). I agree - sometimes it seems appropriate to let them in on a few facts pertinent to the argument, but it is a pointless excercise (and I can't bear to bring myself to actually register on a UND site ;D).

Craig

wfduck
09-27-2003, 12:45 PM
About a year ago I put 3 posts on the UND site and was banned the next day. The worst post I had was that one of the new Sioux recruits would be a great addition to their scout team and would be a mainstay for the next 5 years. And that was enough to get banned.

Just goes to show how hard Sue really sucks :P

89rabbit
09-27-2003, 07:27 PM
Who could honestly get real mad at a cute, little, fuzzy bunny? *;) ;D

Here is a link to I-AA.org. *henfan has a post, about 3/4 of the way down, *that I thought you might get a kick out of.

http://www.anygivensaturday.org/cgi-bin/board/cutecast.pl?session=Q9GfRuFxqPpYNQdanN0J3TibWe&for um=1&thread=97&page=8

Go SDSU, FEAR us!

89rabbit
09-28-2003, 05:19 AM
Congrats Bison, your D played a hell of a game. :( You sounded like the Bison of old. Good Luck with the rest of the season.

If you listen very closely you will hear the annual cry of the North American Jackrabbit. . ."Basketball season is coming"! ;)

Bisonguy
09-28-2003, 05:27 AM
89Rabbit,

Thanks. The Jacks need to pick up their heads and get ready to finish the season out strong.

The SDSU band was great. I sit a couple sections away from the section they were in. 370 members can make for one loud band!@!

wfduck
09-28-2003, 11:36 AM
Yeah the SDSU band is good. But that's no excuse for the NDSU teaming up with SDSU playing through the concourse. I'd have rather seen the NDSU band kick the snot out of their tuba players. That's a football band.

Tatanka
09-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Actually the Gold Star should have been teaming up with The Pride a bit more (with note-taking apparatus in hand). School was in session, folks. Big time.

You'll have to pardon my band envy. I'm done now. :-X

Texas_Jacks_Fan
09-28-2003, 04:38 PM
Congrats to the Bison... You played a great game. I didnt think we would get shut out all year. Hopefully we can regroup from this and still have a great season. At least it sounds like our band was good, (they don't keep score for that.... do they?)

Texas_Jacks_Fan
09-28-2003, 05:01 PM
What was the attendance last night? It sounded loud on the internet broadcast I was listening to.

Bisonguy
09-28-2003, 05:07 PM
What was the attendance last night? It sounded loud on the internet broadcast I was listening to.

It was a little over 14,000.

Edit-14,108 to be exact.

Tatanka
09-28-2003, 05:08 PM
14000 or so. Sizeable showing from SDSU. Their band alone took up a whole section (top to bottom) of the dome.

The crowd would have been much louder had both teams provided something to cheer about. ;)

JBB
09-28-2003, 07:43 PM
It was a great crowd. SDSU Head Coach John Stiegelmeier called it a very intense arena. The SDSU band is big time for sure. So was their football team. Big, strong and talented. It was head to head for the first half with the BISON break coming on the D lines great play that caused the fumble by Nelson and Sheppards return for a TD. They were starting to break that great O line of SDSU down a bit. According to one of the players interviewed after the game its because Jimmy Burrow, assistant head coach and D Coordinator for NDSU, is a master mind.

Irby and Babbich were both suspended for this game for undisclosed rules violations. They took the time to note that Irby was still on the team. Doesnt sound good for him but Bobby Babbich was on the sidline in his jersey with a clipboard in hand.

BisonMav
09-28-2003, 10:48 PM
Jacks had the penalty bug, that helped the Bison on a few occasions.

I was surprised that the refs called that one pass by Stauss a bobble and out of bounds.

Tatanka
09-28-2003, 11:52 PM
The refs blew calls on both teams. The worst was the "bobbled" catch that you pointed out. I particularly enjoyed the explanation of offsetting penalties being "declined".

Hopefully D1-AA means better officiating.

Bisonguy
09-29-2003, 12:00 AM
I was suprised the side judge ruled Stauss' pass a reception on the 2 yard line, but then it was overruled. He had the best view of the play as it was only a couple yards from him. He didn't hesitate at all to rule it a completion, but another ref from 20 yards back obviously had a better view of the play. ::) Too bad his better view didn't show up on the videoboards.

BisonMav,

Nice call on the attendance number. You were only off by 108, that's only seven tenths of one percent error!!

SDSUFAN
09-29-2003, 03:42 AM
Congrads are in order to the NDSU Bison. I have seen three of the four SDSU games, too busy to go to Oregan, but there is no doubt in my mind that the NDSU Defense is the best we have faced this year. Bison D seemed to be well prepared in its game plan in particular. Stopping the pass and the run in one scheme has to be difficult to do and takes speed.

There are two things that kind of puzzle me about NDSU.
1. Craig Bohl was run out of Lincoln Nebraska because he was a horrible defensive co-ordinator. You have never known this fact last night. I am sure the D co-oridinator Burrow had a big role in the planning, but hats off to him and Coach Bohl for allowing Anthony Watson only 11 yards. Watson is a red shirt freshman with promise, but he had a very tough game last evening. I hope Anthony learned some thing last night.

2. After reading so much on this board about the new coaching staff purging the roster, it appears if the Babich roster had quickness, they stayed and played in last nights game.

There is no doubt in my mind that only SCSU can challenge NDSU for the NCC title. I think you will shut down the UNO backs and QB like you did last night. So who else is in your way for the march to the NCC championship? No one else that I can think of except maybe for that school that wears green and pink or is it white.

JACKGUY
09-29-2003, 02:02 PM
Great Defensive Game in the first half. Congrats Bison on the win you smothered our offense. I do differ on the catch on the sidelines as the SDSU section was right there and he did indeed bobble it. I was surprised the officials got it right. The replays did not show the angle we had.

BisonMav
10-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Kolpack's article made the South Carolina Homepage.
Newberry and Presbyterian are from Tusculum's conference.

The State.com (http://www.thestate.com/mld/state/sports/6878513.htm)

tony
10-03-2003, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that articles about NDSU have turned up in some odd places. I think it's because the GF Herald is part of a giant newspaper syndicate. They must have a central repository for their stories and sometimes they get associated with the wrong paper.