PDA

View Full Version : Nickel Trophy

KTF
10-12-2003, 03:54 AM
Now that we know that both NDSU and UND are undefeated, who has the better advantage next week. I say SU has the defensive advantage but UND has the home advantage... It's going to be good!!! I still think a win by NDSU is easily achievable!

89rabbit
10-12-2003, 03:56 AM
I think you will win. Just like last week, bad coaching and turnovers killed us. We should have won them both. Good Luck Bison!

Bisonguy
10-12-2003, 03:58 AM
It should be a battle. NDSU's D is outstanding. Remember, NDSU kept SDSU to 0 points. UND gave up 24.

I think NDSU will be able to score on UND's defense. It's a question of whether or not UND's offense can score more against the NDSU defense. I don't think they will.

KTF
10-12-2003, 04:05 AM
I didn't see the game today, wish I did. How did the D look? If I saw the stats right, the D gave up more rushing yards today than any other game this year. Doesn't anybody feel that the home field advantage will be a major factor?

KTF
10-12-2003, 04:07 AM
I also don't think that UND will gain more points than the herd. They lost Wilson to an injury tonight. He was the ace in the hole againist SCSU in the second half. If the Herd shows up ready to go, could the UNO game all over!

iamabison
10-12-2003, 04:10 AM
I like NDSU to win, but I'm a bit concerned about UND's blitzing defense & Stauss's throwing. If SU doesn't give UND points from turnovers, I think this is a game they probably win by 10 points. If they make a lot of mental mistakes though, it's going down to the wire.

I really think UND's offense will struggle, but TO's and easy field position make a shitty offense much better. UND almost always seems to make one big INT or kick return every year. Cut that out, and the Nickel's coming home.

NDSU_grad
10-12-2003, 04:27 AM
I don't think the sue will be able to do anything on offense next week. If Stauss makes the right reads against the sue pressure, the west coast offense should be effective. I think it will be like '97, the last time the Bison played well in the series. I predicted a 38-0 score on the DII site, and I'll do the same here.

KTF
10-12-2003, 04:31 AM
I was just thinking about the trophy, when SU wins the Nickel Trophy back does anybody see Roger Thomas saying that we can't have it since we are going D-1 next year? I am sure he will spew his nonsense about how playing NDSU will wreck their chances at playoffs, etc...

Bisonguy
10-12-2003, 04:35 AM
I didn't see the game today, wish I did. *How did the D look? *If I saw the stats right, the D gave up more rushing yards today than any other game this year. *Doesn't anybody feel that the home field advantage will be a major factor?

UNO was averaging over 240 yards rushing per game. Once again the Bison D had a bend but don't break plan. They gave up nearly 300 yards of total offense, but I believe that UNO was only in the red zone twice. The +3 TO ratio helped out as well.

BisonMav
10-12-2003, 02:27 PM
When the Bison get a lead on the Fighting Susans, the game is over, PERIOD. The Bison coaches have done a great job getting the team ready each week. UND knew what to expect against the Bison the past few years. I think the UND coaches are scrambling this year, they don't know what to expect. NDSU should have a sweet victory, and the nickel trophy by this time next week. As Bob Hope would say, Thanks for the Memories.

KTF
10-12-2003, 02:37 PM
Does anybody else feel that the outcome of this game will determine the future of the rivalry? I say if SU wins UND will keep it going so that they can get back the trophy (won't happen). If UND wins they will call the rivalry good and not schedule anymore games! Anybody know what is going to happen to the trophy after the rivalry has been ended by the sioux?

BisonMav
10-12-2003, 02:44 PM
Let's make a display, with a note stating UND refused to continue the rivalry. The display would be free to the general public, $27.50 for UND alum.

Tatanka
10-12-2003, 06:08 PM
If I saw the stats right, the D gave up more rushing yards today than any other game this year.

I think the stats that matter are that UNO didn't score until it was already over at 27-0. Yes, the Bison gave up yardage, but they also stiffened up when necessary and stopped a darn good offense (statistically speaking) every time but once.

Tatanka
10-12-2003, 06:12 PM
...when SU wins the Nickel Trophy back does anybody see Roger Thomas saying that we can't have it since we are going D-1 next year? I am sure he will spew his nonsense about how playing NDSU will wreck their chances at playoffs, etc... *

I say when we win the Nickel, we keep it. If they want to get it back, they can schedule SU and try and beat our football team. Period. Meanwhile, the Bison can put the Nickel on a cart and parade it down University every year at homecoming.

airmail
10-13-2003, 04:03 PM
The Sioux defense is good... but they need to start playing sooner. In the last two weeks, they've given up 3 points in both second halves, but have stunk it up in the first half. If the SU offense can exploit this early, it will be another tough comeback for the Sioux, as the Bison defense likely will not roll over so easy. It will be another great nickel battle.

Kind of sad that you SU bastards had to wreck probably the single best rivalry in college sports by leaving the division. But that's another thread...

BisonMav
10-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Posted by: airmail Posted on: Today at 10:03am
Kind of sad that you SU bastards had to wreck probably the single best rivalry in college sports by leaving the division. But that's another thread...

It has been taken to the smack thread.

Bisonguy
10-13-2003, 11:56 PM
It sounds like Dale Lennon is leaning towards keeping the rivalry going. He will be on Prime Time Sports on WDAY-AM tonight(starts at 6:30 on 970).

BisonBizzo
10-15-2003, 03:33 AM
I still would be suprised if Roger and UND did not sign the 4 year contract to play NDSU in football. My 3 reasons 1) is the rivalry 2) is the dollar value 3) is the extra playoff teams that would make the playoffs in D2.

UND's chances will be greater to make the playoffs in the upcoming years because of more teams allowed in the playoffs and that some great programs (NDSU, UNC, UCD, SDSU) will not be competing for those spots. Hopefully that could outweigh a decision to not play NDSU in order to get more points in that absurd playoff point system.

I just hope either way the Nickel stays in Fargo! specially if Roger and UND makes that horrific mistake. It is not NDSU's fault. Both schools should not be in D2. Like the way Newberry's coach stated it was a joke that UND is not a D1 school after the game. He is just lucky he didn't play the Bison!