PDA

View Full Version : Pressure to win the nickel..?

KTF
10-13-2003, 06:32 PM
Who has more pressure to win the Nickel Trophy?

I had this conversation with an alumni (Late 1950's) of SU, he thought that the sioux have more pressure to win this game than SU. When asked why he responded, "The Herd has already proved their season with the win over Montana. But the sioux have to prove that are just as equal by beating SU. It's their season on the line."

I probed a little further and asked if he thought that UND would go D-1? He replied, "No one of his neighbors is a million dollar contributer to UND and said that UND can't afford to move. The hockey program sucks up too much money." I guess the contributer was a former UND foundation member that still has connections to the current members.

Back to the Nickel Trophy,

Sure will be fun to have bragging rights to both this year!!!! :)

BisonMav
10-13-2003, 06:40 PM
I agree, UND needs the game more. Two losses to Division II teams may knock them out of the playoff picture. The Bison could run the table after a loss and still make the playoffs. The Concordia-St Paul game could be the playin game before the playoffs.

airmail
10-13-2003, 06:47 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, KTF, I think you're on to something. The Bison have the new Division I thing, and the Sioux don't. Like you said, they are going to have to prove themselves equal. Besides, its a home game... and they're following two very emotional victories. The pressure is on the Sioux, in these cases.

Just thinking, though, doesn't NDSU have to make a statement too? After all, if they're going on to the next level you would think anything short complete D-II domination would be considered a failure. Especially this weekend's game.

I guess looking at both sides, its the same as always. This is one game that nobody likes to lose.

mojobison
10-13-2003, 07:11 PM
NDSU is on the same footing as UND right now. Once NDSU has a 30-40 scholarship advantage, there's going to be tremendous pressure on NDSU to beat UND.

After a 2-8 season last year, NDSU has already proven that they're going in the right direction, but everybody at NDSU wants this win big time. For one thing, if NDSU wins, UND will definitely play NDSU next year. If NDSU loses, they need help to make the playoffs as a road team, but if they win, they can potentially get home field in the first two rounds.

Up in GF, hockey season has started at UND so football is already getting moved to the back burner.

KTF
10-13-2003, 09:57 PM
Airmail wrote,
Just thinking, though, doesn't NDSU have to make a statement too? After all, if they're going on to the next level you would think anything short complete D-II domination would be considered a failure. Especially this weekend's game.

Your right airmail, NDSU has to make a statement but hasn't enough been said by beating Montana and playing hard againist UC-Davis?

I like the argument that NDSU should really win it all but is that going to be a predictor of future success or failure? Will NDSU look back and say we shouldn't have moved up becasue we lost to the Sioux, probably not? I don't really know who has more pressure to win just a huge thought provoking question that I wanted to throw out to see what the concsensus was...

It is going to be a great game!!

JBB
10-14-2003, 02:23 AM
NDSU is a D2 team with the same scholarships as anyone else. In fact they are the classic darkhorse coming off a cellar finish at 2-8. Theres no pressure here.

the sue sox on the other hand are also a cinderella team. Nobody is going to brag about Dale Lennons great 2002 team are they?

NDSU has a chance to go a long way this year. The suck stand in their way. A win here will help NDSU a lot. The suck on the other had are a midline team. A win here would help them a lot more. With the crowd stacked at $27.50/BISON fan and about an average of $12/suck fan its a loaded deck. Sue suck and thats all there is to it. Win or lose the suck are inferior.

Bisonfan1234
10-14-2003, 03:46 AM
I don't think the problem for UND is hockey. Hockey makes the most money for them out of all their sports. The problem is title 9, they have to have an equal amount of scholorships for women as men. So if they are going to add 33 scholorships they need to add 33 women scholorships or take away 33 men scholorships from other sports.

To be honest, i would just get rid of money wasting sports like baseball, swiming, x-country/track, etc.

Bisonguy
10-14-2003, 03:55 AM
I don't think the problem for UND is hockey. Hockey makes the most money for them out of all their sports. The problem is title 9, they have to have an equal amount of scholorships for women as men. So if they are going to add 33 scholorships they need to add 33 women scholorships or take away 33 men scholorships from other sports.

To be honest, i would just get rid of money wasting sports like baseball, swiming, x-country/track, etc.

There is a minimum number of sports a DI school can have (14 or 16), and may also have additional requirements put on them by a conference (i.e. Big Sky and tennis).

Hammerhead
10-14-2003, 08:46 PM
I'd say the pressure is just about equal on both teams. The Bison haven't beaten the Sioux very often recently and many fans won't be happy if we lose again and are desparately hoping for another national championship for our swan song in D-II

siouxmenow
10-19-2003, 07:17 AM
EEEEEEEHHHHH!!! wrong!

Guess the nickel will have a nice cozy home in GF for who knows how long! The Bisexuals had a nice win in Montana but they haven't really followed up with much...call me when Stauss figures out how to hold onto the ball....