PDA

View Full Version : Alumni satellite game meetings

Hammerhead
10-14-2003, 10:24 PM
Anyone outside of N.D. attending the alumni satellite games (http://www.ndsualumni.com/COE/Satgame/Satgame.htm)? I'll be at the one in Beaverton, Oregon.

It's usually a fun time even if we have to sit in the same room with the UND alumni. It's always funny watching people come in expecting to watch their favorite D-I team play and the room with the big screen is full of people cheering for teams they've never heard of. :)

Bison_Kent
10-14-2003, 10:41 PM
Yes, I am going to Wichita, KS. Wichita is about 25 miles from where I live. I wish I could make up for the game in Grand Forks. However, I am going to be in the Minneapolis area for work Nov. 6-7 so I am staying the weekend to go to the St. Cloud State game.

BisonInTexas
10-14-2003, 10:57 PM
I will be at the one in the Dallas-Fort Worth Area. It is just down the road from me in Lewisville. Like you said - it is always fun even if the UND alumni are there.

It is going to be 75 degrees on Saturday here in TX and I guarantee you I will see at least one Sioux fan dressed in a grey UND sweatshirt with a white turtleneck on underneath. ;D

Craig

Hammerhead
10-14-2003, 11:53 PM
Fortunately for me, mine is only about 6 miles from my house and a mile from where I work. The 1st year I was out here I had to go to downtown Portland in the "industrial" district and it was kind of scary for someone who just moved from N.D.

WYOBISONMAN
10-15-2003, 05:33 PM
I am going to be elk hunting in the Wind River Mountains, however, for Bison/Sioux day I am going to ride my horse out and drive back to Rock Springs and watch it at Bombers Sports Bar. Hopefully I won't get too drunk to ride back to elk camp...... ;D

Bisonfan1
10-16-2003, 04:17 PM
My buddy in the Air Force in Germany who planned his vacation and attended the first Bison home game wants to know how he could possibly tune in the game to watch? is there satellete coordinates, is the game broadcast over the internet?? anyone with any info you can give me to pass on to him would be appreciated. Thanx

Bison49
10-16-2003, 04:37 PM
He has to watch via the internet. The coordinates cannot reach outside of the US.

Bisonfan1
10-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Do you know if that would be broadcast on the WDAY site, the Bison Media site, or somewhere else, thought it would be easier to ask here, ive e-mailed places before and usually get an answear after the fact. Thanx

Bison49
10-16-2003, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure but I know UND has an internet broadcast. I know..it will probably suck.

BisonMav
10-16-2003, 10:29 PM
Bison49
I'm not sure but I know UND has an internet broadcast. I know..it will probably suck.

I wouldn't doubt that you will have to pay for UND's feed.

pwbnd
10-16-2003, 10:36 PM
Does anybody know if there's anyplace in Duluth carrying the game?

JBB
10-16-2003, 10:38 PM
Oh yea, you have to pay. Prceeds go to the nazi gambling empire. for the first game they claimed the first 300 visitors were free, as a try out of course. What a joke. Nobody was free. How do I know? 300 people wouldnt watch and I tuned in at least an hour before game time.

IL_Bison
10-16-2003, 10:57 PM
I believe the UND Alumni site has a bar lined up in Duluth. I don't remember the name but you can find it at www.undalumni.org. You'll just have to put up with a larger contigent of Sue fans.

pwbnd
10-16-2003, 11:06 PM
I believe the UND Alumni site has a bar lined up in Duluth. I don't remember the name but you can find it at www.undalumni.org. You'll just have to put up with a larger contigent of Sue fans.

Thanks, yea, I found it. It's at a bar called Goodsports in Superior, Wis.

Guess that's where I'll be spending my Saturday afternoon. If there are any other Bison fans in Duluth this weekend, come on over. Don't let me and my wife be the only ones there!! :'( :)

Hammerhead
10-20-2003, 08:31 PM
Even though the channel 8 guy probably did the play-by-play, It really sucked not having sound on the satellite feeds at the alumni sites. I didn't think it would be as hard to keep track of the down and distance as it was.

Bisonguy
10-20-2003, 09:05 PM
Even though the channel 8 guy probably did the play-by-play, It really sucked not having sound on the satellite feeds at the alumni sites. *I didn't think it would be as hard to keep track of the down and distance as it was.

It would have been just as difficult. Pat Sweeney did a horrid job on the play-by play. He rarely mentioned what down it, where the ball was, or how much for a first down. I would have much rather had Ed Schultz doing the play-by-play. ::) The WDAZ camera crew was pretty bad also.

JBB
10-20-2003, 09:34 PM
WDAY didnt do a very good job, I agree. Even with sound you never knew where the ball was. They would flash down and distance a lot of times right before the snap. I guess I cant complain too much about the camera work, but the BISON TD disputed late in the game didnt have a conclusive replay to say it was in or out. I am dubious about the OT TD catch. That didnt look like a TD to me. But the anouncers didnt talk about that one much either.

BisonInTexas
10-21-2003, 03:25 AM
Here in the Dallas area, we would have killed for live video. For what seems to be the umpteenth year in a row, we couldn't get the feed down here. The bar we were at resorted to... get this... having thirty or so people huddle around an internet feed (yes, a webcam) of the game! It must have been the Sioux internet feed that you have to pay for. I said screw it, finished my burger and my beer and went home and listened to the second half on the internet. I spoke to the NDSU Alumni coordinator (who works his ass off trying to get someone that can get the game in the Metroplex) and he stated he was going to complain to the Alumni association that they need to upgrade the satellite feed. Evidently very few bars here in Dallas have the equipment to receive analog C-band satellite games. The ones that do have very little luck in getting the game. Last year (at a different bar) they couldn't get the game in, despite getting it with no problems the previous two years. One year, we lost the feed at halftime and missed the whole second half. I have about given up attending these anymore. I would rather sit at home and listen on the internet than go to a bar and watch a guy fiddling with television equipment for an hour.

I take it everywhere else in the country gets the game no problem?

Craig

Bisonguy
10-21-2003, 03:41 AM
JBB,

It was WDAZ camera crew and their own Pat Sweeney doing the pay-by-play. If WDAY had their camera crew there, the camera work would have been markedly better. The Montana TV station had pretty bad camera work for the NDSU/Montana game as well. It's pretty bad when they miss a reception or get faked out on play action. Pat Sweeney was the worst play-by-play guy I have heard doing the Bison/Sioux game. It's much better with Scott Miller or Steve Halstrom from WDAY.