PDA

View Full Version : This year v Last Year

tony
10-30-2003, 03:16 PM
BI (BisonInsider) has a good statistical comparision of this year and last year: See the comparison (http://bisonrule.tripod.com/bisoninsider/id11.html)

Actually, I look at the numbers from this year and last year's 10 game season and I don't see that much of a difference in the statistics except in the main one: scoring. The average margin went from -8 to +13 - that's a huge swing.

IMO, it just goes to show that in the highly-competitive NCC, the margin between winning and losing is very small.

Trainer
10-30-2003, 03:32 PM
Don't forget the positive turnover ratio and I believe most of the increased scoring has been derived from the increased turnovers forced by the defense. As for offensive average yardage, not that much difference..... Really not many suprises when I compared the respective year's stats. But you're right Tony, the margin between having a winning and losing season is very small and appears to be shrinking every year.

JBB
10-30-2003, 09:53 PM
There has been a lot of defensive improvement, like you say, but the offense has also been able to score more points with less total output. Its a more efficeint, higher scoring offense than our old one.

wfduck
10-30-2003, 10:30 PM
From the games I've seen. I'd say the D is a big reason why the O is more efficient. More turnovers=shorter playing field=less yds needed to score points

KTF
10-30-2003, 11:39 PM
I feel that the defense is the main reason that SU has been successful this year. I have been disappointed with the offense though. I thought that we would see a much more explosive offense. IMO, Enos is maybe keeping too much of a control and not letting it "explode" I would like to see 1st quarters with 21 points or more on the board. Maybe this is wishful thinking!?!

Bisonfan1234
10-31-2003, 12:17 AM
The defense is very good. But i don't understand how they are so much better this year than last year. All the basic parts of this year's d were here last year (and they had some good guys last year that we don't have this year). The only 2 i can think of are Ware and Summerville @ d-line...but can those 2 create that much impact? I have to think it's the coaching.

wfduck
10-31-2003, 02:56 AM
Ware and Summerville
another years experience
and YES the coaching is excellent

JBB
10-31-2003, 04:30 AM
I think its coaching

Tatanka
11-01-2003, 04:49 PM
99.9% coaching. 0.1% cowbell.