PDA

View Full Version : Update on Frank Irby...

TRUTH_HURTS
10-30-2003, 03:41 PM
Irby was brought into NDSU to play CB. He was told he would be on "FULL SCHOLARSHIP". ;) Frank was under the impression that room, board, books and tuition were to be paid by the Athletic (football) Department. As it turns out, HE WAS NOT ON FULL SCHOLARSHIP. ??? Irby did not find this out until he went to pick up his PELL GRANT check. To his dismay, he learned that he did not have a Pell Refund, in fact, he owed the school money. :( I am glad to report that Irby being "dismissed" from the team did not involve any CHARACTER FLAWS on his behalf. ;D NO WONDER THERE WAS NO OFFICIAL STATEMENT MADE REGARDING HIS DISMISSAL!! :o

Catamount23
10-30-2003, 04:04 PM
Nice. What's that old thing about truth in advertising? sounds like Frank got a royal screwing. too bad. I saw some tape on that kid. No official statement on his dismissal, huh? Sounds like a coach wrote check his a$$ couldn't cover. Bad business right there. Hope other kids are watching. NDSU needs to fire the dude that recruited Irby or take some responsibility and be accountable for what they tell an 18 year old kid. No wonder we've started getting sideways glances from kids we're trying to recruit when that sort of thing is going on amongst our own ranks.

Bisonfan1234
10-30-2003, 04:15 PM
What about Willie Byrd?

Is Irby back in FL by now or what happened to him?

BisonBizzo
10-30-2003, 04:27 PM
I don't think there is enough detailed facts to put a blame on anyone yet. I would only hope there was no definite promise to Irby by a NDSU official that said he would to get a full ride the minute he started classes. I am only stating that because I think that yes, that is wrong by NDSU if that is the case. Irby and Byrd came from a juco school in Kansas right before 2-a-days summer practice started. Did they play 2 years there?

TRUTH_HURTS
10-30-2003, 04:40 PM
Not sure on Willie Byrd...

I think it is the same story though...

My understanding is that Irby is still in school at NDSU...

This will count as Irby's redshirt year and he will have two to play two...

Catamount23
10-30-2003, 04:54 PM
I don't think there is enough detailed facts to put a blame on anyone yet. *I would only hope there was no definite promise to Irby by a NDSU official that said he would to get a full ride the minute he started classes. *I am only stating that because I think that yes, that is wrong by NDSU if that is the case. *Irby and Byrd came from a juco school in Kansas right before 2-a-days summer practice started. *Did they play 2 years there?

You would only hope that no definite promise was made by an official of NDSU? What do they do, say "Hey kid, enroll at NDSU, come on out for practice and we'll see what we can do."? Don't know how it's done over there, but our kids know where they stand before they pack their bags to leave home.

And if Truth Hurts didn't give enough details about it, then I you're picking pellets out of horse $#it. Be accountable for your actions. This is why parents and players give me so much grief in the recruiting process because jerks like this have said one thing and then presented a different contract on signing day. Too many kids get screwed and don't trust us anymore.

Catamount23
10-30-2003, 04:55 PM
and they tell their underclassmen friends.

tony
10-30-2003, 05:59 PM
Uh, they never said that Irby was dismissed from the team. They did say that he and Byrd were suspended indefinitely for violating team rules. Byrd is still on the roster, Irby isn't.

If Irby was promised something and didn't get it, then that's on NDSU. If Irby is still in school, to me that says he's a serious guy.

Obviously TRUTH_HURTS and Catamount32 have some accurate inside information, but what you're asking us to do is believe that NDSU is screwing people over when we don't know you at all. Hell, if your spelling weren't so good, we might think you were UND professors looking to stir up trouble.

Anyway, Irby was a JUCO transfer so there is no way that NDSU sprung a new deal on him on signing day.

Bisonfan1234
10-30-2003, 07:22 PM
Not sure on Willie Byrd...

I think it is the same story though...

My understanding is that Irby is still in school at NDSU...

This will count as Irby's redshirt year and he will have two to play two...
Irby has already played in Montana...so i don't see how this could be a redshirt year.

Bisonfan1234
10-30-2003, 07:22 PM
Uh, they never said that Irby was dismissed from the team. They did say that he and Byrd were suspended indefinitely for violating team rules. Byrd is still on the roster, Irby isn't.

If Irby was promised something and didn't get it, then that's on NDSU. If Irby is still in school, to me that says he's a serious guy.

Obviously TRUTH_HURTS and Catamount32 have some accurate inside information, but what you're asking us to do is believe that NDSU is screwing people over when we don't know you at all. Hell, if your spelling weren't so good, we might think you were UND professors looking to stir up trouble.

Anyway, Irby was a JUCO transfer so there is no way that NDSU sprung a new deal on him on signing day.

It said in the Fargo Forum that Irby was dismissed.

tony
10-30-2003, 07:44 PM
Oops, you're right. My mistake. I did a search on In-forum and only saw the article about the suspension.

On this board, somebody quoted Bohl as saying that he and Irby had talked and decided that he'd be better off someplace else. That doesn't say much.

BisonBizzo
10-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Catamount23,
Sounds like you are or were part of the recruiting business. Maybe for Western Carolina? Anyhow, I agree it is crap if they had "promised" him a scholarship. The fact is, I or the public will probably never know. Now as far as the come here and we'll see approach, well, that is pretty staight forward to me, and with that you probably won't get a full ride right away. When I was recruited, which were all smaller schools, everyone was that approach. NDSU is not D1 yet, so they can't promise full rides for everyone. Maybe where you are from you are more familar with more scholarships, or you are more straight up to the kid before he signs, which I think is great. To be honest, I don't know how it should be. Business is business, and I think any school wouldn't want kids and parents to say this school does not give their word when recruiting... Sounds like you might have talked to Irby

Bisonfan1234
10-31-2003, 12:15 AM
Perhaps that promised him a full scholorship when they go up to 63 and he can't afford to wait that long.

IMO, i'd rather take out a loan and play on the team. If he's still going to school, why not still play? That's what makes me think he did something that violated team rules.

Bisonguy
10-31-2003, 02:46 AM
This whole thread smells fishy ::).

First, we have two new posters that signed up today and have their first posts on the same subject. All their posts are within about an hour. Don't they want to discuss it anymore, or was it a drive by trolling?

Second, why would NDSU give out a full ride scholarship to somebody that was brought in for a back-up role, especially when they only have 36 scholarships this year? I could see the coaching staff telling a recruit that he may earn a full ride next year, but I doubt NDSU is giving out more than two full rides this year. Travis Ware and Dwight Summerville were much heralded recruits that were needed more than CB's, and I doubt either one is on a full ride this year.

Third, how can this count as Irby's redshirt year? He already played in three games this year at NDSU. LINK (http://www.gobison.com/mens/football/stats/index.html#TEAM.IND) look under defensive statistics

I never was lucky enough to receive an athletic scholarship, but wouldn't there be something in writing? I received written confirmation that I had received academic scholarships, I would think athletic scholarships would have to have something in ink as well.

TRUTH_HURTS
10-31-2003, 12:41 PM
Let me just say this...

IT'S GOOD TO BE IN THE KNOW!

Many of you haven't a clue of what you are talking about!

Catamount23
10-31-2003, 01:06 PM
Catamount23,
Sounds like you are or were part of the recruiting business. *Maybe for Western Carolina? *Anyhow, I agree it is crap if they had "promised" him a scholarship. * The fact is, I or the public will probably never know. * Now as far as the come here and we'll see approach, well, that is pretty staight forward to me, and with that you probably won't get a full ride right away. *When I was recruited, which were all smaller schools, everyone was that approach. *NDSU is not D1 yet, so they can't promise full rides for everyone. *Maybe where you are from you are more familar with more scholarships, or you are more straight up to the kid before he signs, which I think is great. *To be honest, I don't know how it should be. *Business is business, and I think any school wouldn't want kids and parents to say this school does not give their word when recruiting... *Sounds like you might have talked to Irby

TRUTH HURTS, has the diet coke been blown from your nose yet?

And that's pretty deductive to say we are in the know on this... told you I had seen film on this kid, which means I know his high school coach. Trust me, it's a bum deal. Kid got screwed, but in the end, if you ask me, the Bison football program got the worst of the deal by screwing him over.

TRUTH_HURTS
10-31-2003, 01:35 PM
ASALAAM MILAKUM mty brothers... :o

GET_KRUNK
10-31-2003, 02:55 PM
What I can tell ya is dis. It's fa shezzie dat Head Coatches tell jits dey schollyed up - BUT got 10 tell 30. Try and weed'em out befo school starts. Hell my head Dawg did it (usually dough da kids left on dey on cuz Coach would Kill a brotha dem first 5 dizzays.)

It ain't funny, Who?!? Don't expect ta pick up any mo FLA nizzels up yo way. Wurd on da sckreet down here is yous sellin' out playaz. I'll stay at home and play a FIU, FAU, FAMU, BCC.

AND DAT'S FA SHEZZIE MY SNOWBIRD JITS!

FOUNDER OF DA SLAPNIZZELNATION!

Bisonguy
10-31-2003, 03:01 PM
If they have disciplinary issues, can't earn a starting spot, and think they're getting a full ride, I doubt that NDSU wants them.

GET_KRUNK
10-31-2003, 03:13 PM
Yo Bisonjit,

Yo sho is assumin' a lot. Unless yo is passin' out dem scholly or standin' by da coatch when he talkin' to playaz den I don't guess you would kno. Waht I do kno is dat ya say ya don't want him. but you don't know him obviously or you would kno betta.

I guess you just trust everythang dat leaks out da SID office

Answer what college did ya play at?

TRUTH_HURTS
10-31-2003, 03:21 PM
Yo nizzel, Irby weren't no discipline problem, and is betta than any dem whack corna's ya'll got jit! Short story is the kid don't like a liar.

i BET YA'LL WON'T GET KRUNK! GET KRUNK...

Catamount23
10-31-2003, 03:25 PM
If I didn't know Irby after we sat down and discussed schools, I would probably suggest a bit more investigation into this, but the kid was a straight shooter when I talked to him. I'm saying NDSU $#it the bed here. Sad thing is, the 19/20 yr. old pays for it. Wish we had a need for corners... I'd take him.

TRUTH_HURTS
10-31-2003, 03:30 PM
Hey Cat23, he's fixin to blow up fool...

He's already got his name in the mix at a couple of spots where they go "bowling"...

Bisonguy
10-31-2003, 03:30 PM
FACT- Nobody knows what the coach said to Irby, other than the coach and Irby. Teh floriduhnation doesn't know what the coach said to Irby. I don't know what the coach said to Irby. If you are getting second hand information, that's all it is. So, unless you were in the same room as Irby and the coach when he was recruiting Irby, you don't know anything.

FACT- If Irby was that good, why didn't he win a starting job? Ware and Summerville were able to come in as transfers and win starting roles.

Irby's former HS coach was on here earlier this year posting as Tampa_Legend, and claimed he would be an impact player. He did say Irby had some "issues", I guess he brought them with him.

TRUTH_HURTS
10-31-2003, 03:42 PM
Bisonguy

Would you please post a link to the thread you are talking about. I thought I remembered The Legend saying that he was close to Irby's family or something to that effect.

The answer to your question is called: PLAYAHATING...

Bisonguy
10-31-2003, 03:49 PM
Tampa_Legend was his HS coach. The old BisonInsider board has merged with this one, the posts are probably lost, unless one of the BI staff can recover them. At first he stated he was close to Irby's family, later he admitted he was his former coach.

TRUTH_HURTS
10-31-2003, 03:52 PM
I guess he knows what Irby's deal was...

Something just ain't right about this situation...

Bisonguy
10-31-2003, 04:15 PM
Hey, looks like I found the FloridaNation-Origins of the Florida Nation (http://www.lonewolfsports.net/phpBB-2.0.6/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=85)

My apologies to you guys for being a little rough. We get idiots from our biggest rival on here making up some stupid crap sometimes.

Here's a little info about NDSU if you guys don't know- NDSU is probably the greatest DII football school ever. 3 NC's in the college division (before DI,DII, etc.) and 5 NC's in DII, and a 78% winning percentage over the last 40 years. NDSU is still a DII school this year, but is moving to DIAA next year. This year NDSU has to follow DII scholarship limitations, which only allow 36, instead of the 63 allowed at DIAA. VERY rarely is there ever a full-ride scholarship offered in DII. I don't have numbers, but I doubt there have ever been more than two full rides on the team at one time, possibly none.

Who truly knows what happened to Irby. It's a shame he's not playing for NDSU, but for some reason things didn't work out. He and Willie Byrd, also from Florida, were suspended at the same time. Byrd, however, is still on the team. Players that have committed infractions must go before a player council that recommends to the coach what action should be taken.

GET_KRUNK
10-31-2003, 04:39 PM
Yo Bison,

'Preciate dat attitude alot betta den da one you came out wit. But I think what da point is dat people dat kno dis Kid sez it ain't so him actin' out and breakin' rules.

Ya could be right bout dem schollys BUT dat don't mean he ain't Tellin'em dere full rides den by SEPT, OCT, Hell even NOV. befo dat Pell Check cums in da kid is a Sem into school and COATCH maybe tryin' ta run him out (i.e., violations of Team Rules, etc) befo da check gits dere.

I think all we are sayin is it happens and If he screws enough playaz HS may start sendin' dem jits over to yo rivals!

AND DAT'S FA SHEZZIE!

BisonBizzo
10-31-2003, 05:29 PM
Fo Shizzle, Flizzle

Thanks for the exposure on your site down in the sunshine state... So you fellas have a particular team down there or not? It is possible you fellas won't even read this reply, because you passed through like a rapid virus.

Catamount23
10-31-2003, 05:59 PM
No. Once we invade, we return until we are blacklisted. You will see us back.

imported_admin
10-31-2003, 06:25 PM
Uh, yeah. The next topic any of our Florida guests posts that doesn't have anything to do with DII football will get you banned. I imagine that it's your goal.

Might as well move on now though, BisonGuy already figured you out.

Catamount23
10-31-2003, 06:39 PM
TONY, COMING HERE TO HARASS WAS NOT OUR PURPOSE. WE KNOW FRANK IRBY PERSONALLY AND I WAS DIRECTED HERE BY A FRIEND WHO ALSO KNEW FRANK AND KNEW THAT I GAVE A DAMN ABOUT THE KID, SOMETHING IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE THE COACHING STAFF AT NDSU DOES. YOU WANT TO BAN ME, GO AHEAD, BUT I CAME ON HERE TO DEFEND A FINE YOUNG MAN WHO IS A DAMN GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYER. BESIDES, DON'T NUSTLE ME UP WITH YOUR 4 POSTS A DAY. WE SINGLEHANDEDLY INCREASED THE HITS ON THIS BOARD TEN FOLD, DUDE.

Dakota_Stargell
10-31-2003, 06:49 PM
How about a post concerning Deez II? Would that be allowed?

imported_admin
10-31-2003, 06:53 PM
I have no problem with you sharing your views about Frank Irby. I'm sure he's a good guy, but we don't know what transpired between him and the coaching staff.

The guys you brought with you were cluttering up the board though. I'd rather have fewer posts than a whole bunch of off-topic ones, if you know what I mean. Rest assured, I won't ban you for being critical of NDSU.

TRUTH_HURTS
10-31-2003, 06:55 PM
WE ARE ON THE TOPIC OF NDSU FOOTBALL AND THEIR COACHES...

Dakota Stargell in da heezie...

What up Big Greezie...

imported_admin
10-31-2003, 07:04 PM
Sorry, T_H, I looked at your posting history and there wasn't anything remotely interesting.

URTWL, GB.

Dakota_Stargell
10-31-2003, 07:11 PM
just checkin' to see big Tony Bologna has 'listed me or not...Is Boise State in the Dakota's? Are the Dakota's in Quebec or Ontario?

Catamount23
10-31-2003, 07:12 PM
URTWL, GB to you too. whatever that means....

BisonMav
10-31-2003, 07:12 PM
Dakota's are where it's cool. 8)

BisonMav
10-31-2003, 07:19 PM
just checkin' to see big Tony Bologna has 'listed me or not...Is Boise State in the Dakota's? Are the Dakota's in Quebec or Ontario?
Pops would be embarrassed. *
He was great and always was proud that he played baseball in the Dakota's.
http://www.toptown.com/hp/66/staDAY.jpg

Division II football is what this thread is about.

Catamount23
10-31-2003, 07:21 PM
Sorry I'm not internet chat room geek boy, but could someone decipher this for me?

"URTWL, GB"

bisononce
10-31-2003, 07:52 PM
shizzle...Silly asses, in the finest classic sense of the words. Looks like we have just a little too much time on our hands????

tony
10-31-2003, 08:42 PM
Sorry I'm not internet chat room geek boy, but could someone decipher this for me?
"URTWL, GB"

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you. I just had some work to do. He was the weakest link.

NDSU_grad
10-31-2003, 10:22 PM
What I don't get is that nobody on here even once said anything negative about Frank Irby, so why does he need defending. Sometimes things just don't work out between a player and coaching staff. I think both sides did what was best for them in ending the relationship, no matter what caused the rift. You guys do bring some cool language to the board though. We don't hear stuff like that in the midwest very often.

Catamount23
11-03-2003, 12:46 PM
I suppose that Truth Hurts was close to Frank and that he wanted Frank to play ball and get an education. Trust me, sometimes when a coaching staff does that to a kid, it takes the drive out of him. They are youngsters, you know. There was another kid we recruited who had his heart set on going to the Air Force Academy. They took him into the prep school because, they told him, they were not concerned about his football skills, but they were concerned about his grades and if he could hack it at AFA... Grades were fine, but in the end they dismissed him anyway. Kid got his dreams crushed, and as far as I know, is not playing anywhere else...