PDA

View Full Version : Long Shot Playoff Scenario??????

somebison
11-10-2003, 09:47 PM
First of all let me say I doubt this will happen but.... if NDSU stays fifth in the Regional Poll this week (possible as the number 6 team CMSU lost and UNO who we beat handily is at 7, unless of course Duluth is rewarded for spanking Moorhead state last week). The Winona loses to Duluth (i think doubtful, but duluth has been playing better lately). That would give Winona two NSIC losses while Duluth and Concordia St Paul each have one NSIC loss. I think the committee would find it difficult to put a team which finished third in the NSIC in the playoffs. The bison still would be a three loss team however, I can't remember the last time a three loss team has made the playoffs from the Midwest Region. Just something to think about......

somebison
11-10-2003, 09:57 PM
new poll is out still five....

Midwest

1.North Dakota (9-1)
2.Emporia State (9-1)
3.Winona State (9-1)
4.Pittsburg State (9-1)
5.North Dakota State (7-3)
6.Central Missouri State (8-2)
7.Nebraska-Omaha (8-3)
8.Minnesota Duluth (8-2)
9.Concordia-St. Paul (8-2)
10.Missouri Western State (7-3)

IL_Bison
11-10-2003, 10:10 PM
I'm quite surprised we're still #5. I think Winona and Pitt St have a reasonable chance to lose being big rivalries and all. Maybe the committee will reward us for playing UC Davis tough and beating Montana???? There is always hope.

Bison_Kent
11-10-2003, 10:16 PM
I am surprised NDSU stayed at #5. But I think the two teams above the Bison would have to lose. Pitt State's win over St. Cloud would give them the edge over NDSU even if they loose this week. Winona State is the only team that I might think would drop if they loose.

There is still some hope but everything will need to play out perfectly.

Bisonguy
11-10-2003, 10:21 PM
Stranger things have happened, but those things didn't include NDSU in it's last year of DII and a selection committee. Gene Taylor is a member of the selection committee, so who knows? ???

Bisonfan1234
11-10-2003, 10:30 PM
C'mon guys...

I wish we could be in play-offs too...i reall do! But they will never put a 3 loss team in there when their are other 2 loss teams. Just won't happen. If the NSIC was in a different reigon...then maybe we'd still be in it...but it's not.

Flintstone
11-10-2003, 10:39 PM
If the Bison have a good showing and put a major league A#$ Whooping on CSP and Winona Looses, the Bison should move up to #4. ;D UMD can put a lot of points on the board so who knows.

cbline
11-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Remember, strange this do happen. Recall that Coach Solomonson probably had packed all of the gear away (sorry, forget the year), and yet the playoff invitation came that fall. What year was that, anyway?

I second that two things MUST happen for even a whiff of post-season: Winona loss, and a major blowout in the Dome. Still won't get any home playoff games, but wouldn't a last-minute entry into the race be fun?

GFBisonFan
11-10-2003, 10:56 PM
You know, these exact thoughts were racing through my mind when I couldn't sleep on Saturday night (reminiscing at what could have been). I thought all was lost, but with us still being at five a lot could happen with some help this weekend. I am still hopeful.

If Winona loses to UMD and when we beat CSP, the committee would have an interesting decision:

1. NDSU with three losses-but look at the losses (Iaa uc davis, UND (top region seed), and St. Cloud (preseason favorite))-two inconference losses and very powerful preconference schedule (the Montana win could play very large, as Stauss said "the win at Montana should trump all criteria"

2. Winona State with two losses but in the NSIC with two conference losses and a relatively weak nonconference schedule and a loss to end the season

Head to head-n/a but in similar opponents-edge NDSU

That being said there are other factors, if Central Mo beats Emporia that leaves two of the MIAA teams with two losses also, possibly three if NWMS beats pitt state (five teams in conference at 7-2). That could muddy the waters quite a bit.

Either way we need to punish CSP and run it up a bit.

GFBisonFan
11-10-2003, 10:58 PM
Still won't get any home playoff games, but wouldn't a last-minute entry into the race be fun?

I think a rematch with UND in the hilarious would be fantastic if we could get in-best way to repay them. Any way to get in!!

fight_on_sioux
11-10-2003, 11:53 PM
Are Emporia and Pittsburgh State both done with games??

Note* I would love to see NDSU get in the playoffs, I'd have to eat some crow (I said they'd have no chance with a loss to SCSU), but two Nodak schools in the playoffs is always a positive.

Bisonguy
11-11-2003, 12:19 AM
The three teams ranked ahead of NDSU sans UND (Emporia, Winona, and Pitt St. ) have one game left. Winona plays UMD who has given them problems, Emporia plays Central Missouri(8-2), and Pitt State plays NWMSU (7-3). It's a very long shot for the Bison to get in, but it might be possible.

roadwarrior
11-11-2003, 12:36 AM
cbline, the year was 1985 !

roadwarrior
11-11-2003, 12:42 AM
I thought that I saw one of the criteria used for choosing teams for the playoffs was the team's D-2 record. In that case, if NDSU beats CSP, our record against D-2 opponents would be 7-2.

Kingsville got into the playoffs once I believe with 5 losses, because they had played many D-1AA teams that season.

In any case, we can still hope something may happen for our playoff chances. Therefore, get out to the FARGODOME at NOON saturday and cheer on the BISON to a big victory.

BisonMav
11-11-2003, 12:51 AM
1985 Revisited: Bison were 18th going into the final weekend. 8-2-1 record, and the top 8 teams made the playoffs.

Final week losers:
#2 Ft Valley State
#3 Indiana PA
#7 NE Missouri St
#8 Winston-Salem
#9 Towson St
#11 Santa Clara
#12 Mississippi College
#14 Sac St lost to #1 UC Davis

Bison jumped to #7.

The info and more is in the Bison Football, Three Decades of Excellence by Ed Kolpack.

somebison
11-11-2003, 01:11 AM
A little FYI

Here is the Midwest Playoff Selection Committee

Bob Boerigter, Northwest Missouri State University, chair
Kevin Buisman, Minnesota State University Mankato
Dave Herbster, Concordia University, St. Paul
Mike Lockrem, Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference
Gene Taylor, North Dakota State University
Jerry Wollmering, Truman State University

WYOBISONMAN
11-11-2003, 02:14 AM
I wanna see it as bad as anyone, but this is a long long long shot. It will be interesting to watch.

BisonMav
11-11-2003, 02:17 AM
The Montana win was suppose to be a long shot.