PDA

View Full Version : Rod Malone

BisonMav
11-13-2003, 12:31 PM
Nilles on Malone:
Rod Malone (http://www.centredaily.com/mld/grandforksherald/sports/7249048.htm)

It will be great to watch him play at least one more time this weekend.

fight_on_sioux
11-13-2003, 06:37 PM
I'm hoping that he shakes the other teams hands at the end of the game, unlike the UND game when he decided to forgo that part. ::)

tony
11-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Malone has had a great season. Too bad for us Bison fans that its his last. I'm not sure where his season yardage will end up but he should be in the top 5 for rushing yardage in a season.

BTW, it's not very classy of you to bring up the handshake thing, fight_on_sioux. Were you watching Malone in particular or are you engaging in UND's #1 sport, Gossipping Like Old Women? Man, you guys set the standard in that sport.

met1990
11-13-2003, 07:41 PM
It sounds like Rod may have learned a lesson from watching Gene Roebuck.

Former_Hitman
11-13-2003, 09:05 PM
Rod is a good back, however I am excited to see Kyle Steffes back next year.

We really missed him at the end of the season.

Hopefully, he'll recover fully from his injury.

If he does, he'll put up some serious numbers!!!!

green_lantern
11-13-2003, 11:21 PM
Yeah former hitman we really missed Steffes at the end of this season. We only got 225, 135, and 210 yds out of the halfback position and our offense only put up 42, 35 and 33 points in the last three games since Malone took over....
Not to say that Steffes isn't a good back, but from this vantage point Malone has done just fine manning the halfback position all by his lonesome. In fact it seems like the offense as whole has been performing better since he's been getting the majority of the reps at that position. I know Stauss has certainly been playing better overall (could it be he feels more secure in the pocket now that he's getting better pass protection from the backfield?). In any event its a shame that the Bison are losing Malone because he's a great back and really fun to watch. He's been underrated his whole time at NDSU and that was a nice article by Nilles to recognize some of his accomplishments. Hopefully he'll finish up strong this weekend against Concordia.

fight_on_sioux
11-14-2003, 12:28 AM
[quote author=tony link=board=news;num=1068726715;start=0#2 date=11/13/03 at 13:40:33].

BTW, it's not very classy of you to bring up the handshake thing, fight_on_sioux.quote]

It wasn't a very classy thing of Rod to miss the hand shake. ;)

mojobison
11-14-2003, 01:41 AM
Having to choose between two Bison players is like having to choose which of your kids you like better.

Did NDSU miss Steffes? Yeah, they did. Does that mean Malone isn't a great back? Nobody said that.

green_lantern
11-14-2003, 06:28 AM
I understand that nobody said Malone isn't a great back, but the implication is there. This thread is about Rod Malone and a nice article about him in the gf herald, and then some yahoo starts spouting off about about how the bison really missed Steffes and how he'll put up some serious numbers when he gets back? Well that very well may be true and everyone's entitled to their opinion, but why rain on Rod's parade, or thread in this instance? If they want to talk about Steffes and how good he is then start a Steffes thread for goshsakes! I may be misreading the intent of the post, but it rubbed me the wrong way so I figured I'd say something about it.

tony
11-14-2003, 02:04 PM
I'm probably to blame for Steffes being brought up because I mentioned that it was too bad that Malone doesn't have more eligibility left.

Former_Hitman
11-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Sorry Greenie, you did misinterpret my statement.

However, if you get the ball 40 something a game you're going to put up some numbers. Do you agree?

Being the focus back always gives you an edge.

Also, please watch what you say about Rod Malone being a gr--t back!!!

Tony Satter is a gr--t back!! Chad Stark is a gr--t Back!! James Molstre is a gr--t back!! Marty Sieh is a gr--t back!!

If you were a true Bison you don't say that word unless your earned it. That statement rubbed me the wrong way.

BisonInTexas
11-14-2003, 03:12 PM
Also, please watch what you say about Rod Malone being a gr--t back!!!

Tony Satter is a gr--t back!! Chad Stark is a gr--t Back!! James Molstre is a gr--t back!! Marty Sieh is a gr--t back!!

If you were a true Bison you don't say that word unless your earned it. That statement rubbed me the wrong way.

Spoken like a true Bison!

Craig

JBB
11-14-2003, 03:25 PM
Malone has been here for 2 seasons. His numbers are about half Lamar Gordons (a great back) 4 year record. I think Malone makes the list.

BisonBizzo
11-14-2003, 03:34 PM
Woa Nelly! Why can't we talk about other running back's, specially Steffes, on this thread. I think it can go hand and hand.

I will throw in my 2 cents. Both backs are good backs, both have a different style of running. I think the last 3 defenses the Bison were against (Augustana, South Dakota, SDSU), don't even compare to some of the other's this year (Montana, Cal-Davis, Tusculum, North Dakota). Therefore some big offensive numbers. I tried to post this years final NCC defensive statistics for the conference games, but it didn't look that good, so I will leave this link:

http://www.northcentralconference.org/frameset.php?page=uploads/pdf/9370d62c6fdc7103f1b9905240dfe9a9.pdf

It is about page 9 or so where they detail the total defensive statistics for the 7 conference games. And of course, NDSU is way on top, with UND coming in second. Towards the bottom you will find St. Cloud and USD.

Former_Hitman
11-14-2003, 03:35 PM
Lamar Gordon is a very, very good back.

Please let me state this again, you must earn the word gr--t! Thank you

He almost did, but that doesn't make him a gr--t back.

Now, please don't categorize NDSU players into gr--t unless they earn it. Thank you

BisonBizzo
11-14-2003, 03:36 PM
Sorry, in my last reply I had SDSU and it was suppose to be SCSU or St. Cloud, for the last defenses we faced.

dnk
11-14-2003, 04:31 PM
I think at one point in fall practice Kyle was listed ahead
of Rod in the depth chart. Rod came back more
determined and ended up as the starting back. Both
backs had great games and both had great seasons.
The only regret I have is that Rod is not back next year.
Who knows, if Kyle would have finished the season,
Rod's numbers might have been 300-300-300 rather
than 225-135-210 ypg. Both appear to be great young
men.

BisonInTexas
11-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Lamar Gordon is a very, very good back.

Please let me state this again, you must earn the word gr--t! Thank you

He almost did, but that doesn't make him a gr--t back.

Now, please don't categorize NDSU players into gr--t unless they earn it. Thank you

Everyone, please note that Hitman is reserving the word gr--t for those backs that played on national championship teams. That is the tradition that "true Bison" follow.

Craig

Former_Hitman
11-14-2003, 05:41 PM
Everyone, please note that Hitman is reserving the word gr--t for those backs that played on national championship teams. *That is the tradition that "true Bison" follow.

Craig

Thank you, BisonInTexas (Craig)

It indicatives who are "True Bison" and follows gr--t tradition.

GO BISON, BABY!!

BisonBizzo
11-14-2003, 07:07 PM
Does 'gr--t' have the same meaning as 'great'?

So what if Gordon was 'gr--t' back on 'good' team and Stark was a 'good' back on 'gr--t' team?

JBB
11-15-2003, 01:00 AM
Everyone, please note that Hitman is reserving the word gr--t for those backs that played on national championship teams. *That is the tradition that "true Bison" follow.

Craig

Thank you BisonInTexas. Hitman is right.