PDA

View Full Version : 5 Way MIAA Tie

iamabison
11-15-2003, 10:51 PM
I'll say it now for the record...a 5 way tie in your conference is a sign of mediocrity, not dominance. It's 5 average teams, not 5 great teams...

Bison_Kent
11-15-2003, 10:55 PM
I think only one team gets in from the MIAA. I would guess that is Emporia as they were ranked the highest. I might guess it will be this next week:

Emporia at UND

NDSU at Winona

Bisonfan1234
11-15-2003, 10:55 PM
I want the Bison in the playoffs too!

But to say that is to say that the Mighty Bison are just mediocore. And we all know that isn't true.

The MIAA is loaded this year! 5 teams win the conference!

Does this help us get in? I doubt it. Both ESU, PSU, and now CMSU have better records than us. And since they are from a league that is as good as the NCC...it is the same as having an NCC team with a better record than us...which means they'll all go over us.

The only thing this might mean is will CMSU go over ESU or PSU or perhaps all 3 go and Winona gets bumped.

IowaBison
11-15-2003, 11:00 PM
There is no way Winono doesn't make the playoffs.

somebison
11-15-2003, 11:03 PM
The 5-co champs non conference performances

Missouri Western beat NAIA Benedectine, Lost to Winona 46-3

Emporia beat Fort Hayes (RMAC), and East Central (Lone Star)

Northwest Missouri loses to SDSU 20-0, beats Mankato State 23-16

Pitt State beats SCSU big, also beats Lincoln (NAIA) big

Central Missouri beats two NAIA schools Lincoln, and Langston

MIAA 2-1 against NCC teams (SCSU, SDSU -both tied for fourth in NCC, and MSUM 0-season last in NCC)

MIAA 0-1 NSIC
MIAA 1-0 RMAC
MIAA 1-0 LSC
MIAA 4-0 NAIA

So out of the five conference winners, the biggest non-conf win would be Pitt State over SCSU. *The MIAA is normally a top conference, I just don't think they are the top conference this year

iamabison
11-15-2003, 11:04 PM
Don't you think that wins over Tusculum, Montana, & CSP (like or not they are NSIC co-champs) will count for something?

If UCD was D-II this year, I would agree that the better records will go, but NDSU only has 2 DII losses this year, no better or worse than any MIAA school. I think the * rule might apply here.
8-3 *1 loss to DIAA UC Davis

Maybe it's just wishful thinking....but either way I'm guessing ESPNews will set ratings records in the region tommorrow at 11 AM.

iamabison
11-15-2003, 11:05 PM
For the record...I think CMSU's pandsy ass schedule comes back to get them in the ass.....they're staying home.

IowaBison
11-15-2003, 11:06 PM
I disagree, I think that parity has hit the ranks of D2. Few great teams, many good ones, (even more horribly bad ones). This is a good thing.

iamabison
11-15-2003, 11:09 PM
Playing two NAIA teams out of conference is not indicative of parity, it's the old K-State, Va Tech scheduling plan...

We shouldn't really be arguing about this since we're on the same side....I just think you'll see the committee say "you all lost 2 conference games, what did you do outside of conference play"

iamabison
11-15-2003, 11:12 PM
On some level, don't you find it encouraging that the committee kept NDSU at 5 and CMSU at 6 even though the Bison lost at St. Cloud?

That tells me that there may be more to these rankings that straight out Wins & Losses.

IL_Bison
11-15-2003, 11:13 PM
iamabison:

I really hope you are right. Maybe our win at Montana would propel us to #4 (or #3 to avoid a NDSU/UND first round matchup).

somebison
11-15-2003, 11:15 PM
On some level, don't you find it encouraging that the committee kept NDSU at 5 and CMSU at 6 even though the Bison lost at St. Cloud?

That tells me that there may be more to these rankings that straight out Wins & Losses.

CMSU did lose last week as well, however I don't think those NAIA games help them out much

also playoff representation
2001 2-NCC teams, 1 MIAA, 1 NSIC, *
2002 2 MIAA, 1 NCC, 1 NSIC,
2003 1 NSIC, ??

is it the NCC's turn for 2 teams??

IowaBison
11-15-2003, 11:16 PM
I would imagine we might get the third seed if we make the playoffs. There is some value in not having teams from the same region (and in this case state) play each other in the first round. Besides I need a game further south that I can travel to.

somebison
11-15-2003, 11:17 PM
iamabison:

I really hope you are right. *Maybe our win at Montana would propel us to #4 (or #3 to avoid a NDSU/UND first round matchup).

Wouldn't a game at Winona be fun, with all the NDSU fans in the twin cities, I think we would have a great representation

IowaBison
11-15-2003, 11:17 PM
I like your logic somebison. It doesn't make perfect sense, but there is some logic behind it, just like the decisions made by the selection committee. So you're probably right.

Bisonfan1234
11-15-2003, 11:46 PM
A few things:

1) Lincoln is Division 2...not NAIA.

2) I like the reasoning that since we all have 2 conference losses lets look at what they did out of conference.

We did beat tusculum...but we have 2 non-d2 teams also...including a loss to one. Will they see they they are D1AA teams...or will they simply look at them as non-d2 teams?

3) As i've said before...the 2001 field was originally 2 NCC 2 MIAA and the national committee over-uled them. Could the same thing happen here?

IowaBison
11-15-2003, 11:50 PM
I don't believe for a moment that Winona State will not make the playoffs. The have the record and a fairy Godmother in the national crew.

Bisonfan1234
11-15-2003, 11:57 PM
This is what i see:

1) UND
2) WSU
3 & 4) NDSU, CMSU, PSU, ESU all have a legitamate case to get one of these 2 spots.

I'm pretty sure that if we get in...no matter what spot we get we'll be @ Winona because they won't want 2 NCC teams playing the first round.

IowaBison
11-16-2003, 12:02 AM
Do you think we'll get any points at all because we travel well. I know this isn't the Sugar Bowl, but you would think people would like to make a little money.

somebison
11-16-2003, 12:09 AM
Do you think we'll get any points at all because we travel well. *I know this isn't the Sugar Bowl, but you would think people would like to make a little money.

I would refer you to NDSU versus Delta State in 2000, where a few thousand people showed up in Cleveland, MS, when they could have had 18,000 + plus in fargo, in DII playoffs, I don't think they care about money

IowaBison
11-16-2003, 12:31 AM
Most people don't know but, the real reason the game was played in Mississippi was due to a large financial contribution by Tidy Cat, unfortunately the large banners and television commercials weren't ready in time, while they did manage to create a field covered with kitty litter.

wfduck
11-16-2003, 01:21 AM
The regional rankings are crap for comparison. Tusculm is ranked toward the bottom of their region. But lost to NDSU and BEAT two 1AA teams. Some regions give heavy weight to strength of schedule while others like NE don't seem to care.

I liked the OLD OLD way. Top 16 in the nation are in.

roadwarrior
11-16-2003, 01:39 AM
If the BISON do get in the playoffs, we will NOT be playing the Sioux in the first round. They have a rule in the regional pairings to avoid 2 teams from the same conference playing each other in the first round. The only way it could happen if there were 3 teams from one conference get in.

iamabison
11-16-2003, 02:20 AM
You know, this really comes down to selecting the best 4 teams as opposed the teams with the 4 best records. I hope the committee sees it that way.

roadwarrior
11-16-2003, 02:23 AM
Amen.

dnk
11-16-2003, 05:25 AM
You know what I'm hoping? I'm hoping roadwarrior
makes it 263 in a row this year :D :)

Bisonfan1234
11-16-2003, 06:15 AM
You know, this really comes down to selecting the best 4 teams as opposed the teams with the 4 best records. *I hope the committee sees it that way.

That already won't happen. Winona is #2.