PDA

View Full Version : USD Fires Head Football Coach

89rabbit
11-18-2003, 01:12 AM
USD's coach has been let go.

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/football/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=1551

USD Football Coach John Austin's Contract Not To Be Renewed

11/17/2003

The contract of South Dakota Head Football Coach John Austin will not be renewed, according to an announcement today.

VERMILLION, S.D. – The University of South Dakota interim director of athletics Greg Redlin announced today that head football coach John Austin has been relieved of his coaching duties, effective immediately.

According to Redlin, the remainder of Austin’s and his assistant coaches’ contracts will be honored through June 30, 2004, but will not be renewed. A national search for Austin’s replacement will begin immediately. The search process will move quickly, Redlin added.

“After closely reviewing the football program, I have concluded that it is time for new leadership,” Redlin said. “John Austin has worked tremendously hard over the last five years, running a well-organized and disciplined program. However, at The University of South Dakota, we have high expectations. Those expectations were not being met in our football program.”

Coach Austin, who was appointed in January 1999, just completed his fifth year as head coach. While Austin was at USD, the Coyotes compiled a 22-32 record while at USD, including a 14-27 mark in the North Central Conference. This season, South Dakota recorded a 5-6 mark and a 2-5 record in the NCC (sixth place). A year ago, USD finished 3-8 overall and 2-6 (eighth) in league play. In his first three seasons, Austin had records of 4-7 (3-6, sixth) in 1999; 8-3 (6-3, third) in 2000; and 2-8 (1-7, ninth) in 2001.

Before coming to USD, Austin spent nine years at Iowa, serving as the Hawkeyes’ defensive line coach, recruiting coordinator and assistant offensive line coach. During his playing days at South Dakota, he was an honorable mention All-NCC selection in 1979 and served as USD’s team captain. Austin, a native of Watertown S.D., is a 1980 graduate of USD

“I am very appreciative of all the wonderful faculty and support staff that have been so helpful,” Austin said. “I’d like to give special thanks to our admissions, financial aid and the faculty, who helped me in recruiting. I would also like to thank the many past players who have donated financially to help the football program. Finally, I would like to thank the players and their parents who I have had the opportunity to coach. Helping these young men grow individually, and as students, has been truly rewarding.

“This program has come a long way since I arrived in 1999,” Austin added. “In the past four players, I have had four players move on and contribute in the NFL (Jamel White, Josh Burr, Josh Stamer and Filip Filipovic). The football program is in excellent shape with the returning players. I believe this group will compete for a conference championship and a spot in the national playoffs in the near future.”

According to Redlin, the current assistant coaching staff will have the opportunity to apply and interview with the new football coach.

Bisonfan1234
11-18-2003, 02:57 AM
Perhaps the new coach (and probably the new staff as well) will push a d1 move.

BisonMav
11-18-2003, 03:13 AM
One of my concerns is that other schools will start looking at Bison assistants for Head Coaching openings. Hopefully we will have the staff intact thru the transition period.