PDA

View Full Version : scholarships

KTF
11-17-2003, 01:26 AM
How much can SU bump up there scholies for next year? (I know I have but can't recall the exact number right now) What position would go after the most if you were Bohl?

Bisonguy
11-17-2003, 01:29 AM
25 is the max for one year. The D line is what Bohl has stated he will go after first. I would also try to get a couple corners that can play man coverage.

somebison
11-17-2003, 01:33 AM
25 is the max for one year. The D line is what Bohl has stated he will go after first. I would also try to get a couple corners that can play man coverage.

I agree the D line was good, but thin this year. *I think the O-line was also pretty thin. *Also having some corners who could shutdown receivers in man coverage would be nice, although I think our defensive system plays a lot of cover 2

WYOBISONMAN
11-17-2003, 02:16 AM
I think it would be good to toughen up the O-line as well. Many times this year Stauss didn't have quite enough time.

Bisonguy
11-17-2003, 02:44 AM
somebison,

I know the D primarily plays a lot of cover 2. I guess I meant corners that are more athletic, i.e can play man. Depth at the corner was thin this year, and the coaching staff had to try to add depth with JUCO's. Gorman will be a SR. next year and Babich a JR., so some new blood will be needed. Some 6 foot plus corners would also be nice. ;D

Bisonfan1234
11-17-2003, 02:55 AM
Need a JUCO DE to replace Thomas. Other than that i think we're good (for starters at least) with that we have. The whole o line is coming back next year so that should be a problem.

Juco's for depth wouldn't hurt.

Bisonguy
11-17-2003, 03:08 AM
If they don't plan on using Roehl as a fullback, they will need someone. Simmers and O'Leary are both gone, and Frank will be a SR. next year.

Bisonguy
11-17-2003, 05:09 AM
Bohl just said he will need a TE (Wurzbacher?), FB(Roehl?), SS, MLB, and D line. It will be an interesting recruiting class.

thundar94
11-17-2003, 05:09 AM
D Line is a big issue, more depth is needed to spell the guys who are there and to replace those who are gone. taller corners for man coverage wouldnt hurt either, the 8 yard cushion from the snap is just irratating, especially against the sioux, they knew how we played off like that and exploit it. FB and RB, who is gonna replace Malone?? can Steffes do it himself??

Bisonguy
11-17-2003, 05:16 AM
Cinque Chapman-Pratt has supposedly shown a lot on the scout team. Flemming might also be used to fill in -he has shown a lot on kick returns this year- almost busted a few.

NDSU_grad
11-17-2003, 02:27 PM
I think it would be good to toughen up the O-line as well. *Many times this year Stauss didn't have quite enough time.

It seems like this was a typical Bison o-line. Fantastic run blockers, so-so pass blockers. But it's important to remember they were very young. Two freshmen and two sophomores saw alot of playing time. I think they'll be alright next year.

IL_Bison
11-17-2003, 03:41 PM
It seems to me that team speed will have to be addressed across the board in order to compete in I-AA. I do think the former coaching staff began to improve the overall speed in the last few years.

Can anyone remind me of how long the reclassification period lasts (when we are eligible for playoffs)?

Bisonfan1
11-17-2003, 04:06 PM
It is my understanding the Bison will be elgible for the playoffs in 2008. I still dont understand this long waiting period, I think its basketball that really takes it in the shorts. Maybe someone can explain the reasoning of this waiting period.

tony
11-17-2003, 04:24 PM
IL_Bison, NDSU faces four years of no playoffs before they are eligible. Slim chance that it'll get reduced.

Bisonfan1234
11-17-2003, 05:05 PM
The bison have 2 Freshman FB's that would get a shot before Roehl. I definately think that Roehl will play someday...but he isn't a kid who is going to step up and play his first year.

Hunt, Sanders, and Zilka will all be SR's on the oline next year with Monson and Popowski JR's. Also know that Buckwalkter is a solid back-up. Should be good on the oline.

I think our corners are good..not sure what you're talking about. We brought in Byrd @ C and he is tall and he didn't take either of their jobs. We have solid back-ups in Olson and Walter. I think we're set at corner. LB we lose Mock but have Erenberg to replace him, also Mamula, Kittleson, and Zimmerman. Saftey we have Dahl and Essler with Irhy backing up. Maybe bring a JUCO in there.

On runningback we have plenty. Chapman, Steffes, Moore, and Flemming are all going to get a shot.

Then QB is obviously set.

TE we have Delabarre and Arndt. Plus some freshman. So we are fine there.

So i think we're going to be pretty set up next year.

bisonaudit
11-18-2003, 12:29 AM
Resoning for the waiting period.

D-I schools don't want to share playoff dollars until you've been around and they're convinced you're going to stay.

This and other mechanisms exist to prevent teams from changing classifications every three years.

Bisonguy
11-18-2003, 12:32 AM
Newsflash from my Gene Taylor thread in the I-AA forum- (http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=d1;action=display;num=1069115337)
2004 -56 scholies
2005- 61 scholies
2006 -63 scholies

Looks like Goldy could be on the schedule in 2007

Bisonfan1234
11-18-2003, 12:36 AM
whoops....shoulda read a different post first.

IowaBison
11-18-2003, 12:40 AM
Those numbers look great. Doesn't look like we're going to have any trouble funding our football team. Now we need to fill the Dome with fans to watch 63! scholarship atheletes.

Bisonguy
11-18-2003, 12:45 AM
Bisonfan1234,

The numbers I posted are straight from Gene Taylor's mouth on how many will be fielded. Those numbers also qualify for the average of 60 over 3 years to schedule a I-A opponent (56+61+63=180/3=60 ;D)

Nevermind............................

tony
11-18-2003, 07:17 PM
Man, if NDSU is going after defensive linemen, how about Willie VanDeSteeg from Glencoe - Silver Lake - see him here:

KARE 11 all-metro teams (has video too) (http://www.kare11.com/sports/all-metro.asp)

Wish ND media outlets would put highlight tapes like these together.

Bison_Kent
11-18-2003, 07:26 PM
Didn't the Forum used to put out a F-M regional team years ago? Do they still do that?

somebison
11-18-2003, 07:53 PM
Didn't the Forum used to put out a F-M regional team years ago? *Do they still do that?

The Forum used to do an All-Forum Football team the day after Thanksgiving. Their were complaints however because they didn't have an equivalent team for female HS athletes. (i am assuming the UND law school was involved ;)

wfduck
11-19-2003, 02:26 AM
they also took heat for emphasizing athletics over academics

wow like that's ever happened before :P