PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing Turn-out

BisonFan
11-16-2003, 12:30 AM
Does anyone else think it was a dissapointing turn-out of fans for the Bison game today? They still had a shot at the play-offs, they were playing what is considered to be a quality D2 oponent, yet so few fans show up. Its very disappointing to think so many people give up on a team after one or two losses to quality oponents no less.

somebison
11-16-2003, 01:19 AM
I agree, did the PA say something like 7,000... weak

also, is it just me or did the band get smaller this week?

Bisonguy
11-16-2003, 05:44 AM
Crowds at the Fargodome are typically smaller at the end of the season. Hunting puts a huge damper on the turnout. The Dakota Bowl doesn't help a lot either. I could watch football all day, but some families don't want or don't have the time to sit at the Fargodome all day. Some people have messed up priorities ::)

Herd_Mentality
11-17-2003, 05:46 PM
I concur. It's a shame when a guy in row CC can be heard on the field by the punter. ;D

Herdsman
11-17-2003, 06:09 PM
HA! Good one.

It was indeed a pretty sad scene. I understand that it is hunting season but come on. The game started at noon, over by 3 - plenty of time to go a-hunting.

I hope the turnout was not another instance of 'since the Bison aren't going to make the playoffs, I'm going to pack it in for the season.'
Don't forget the turnouts we had last year.

Things had better change starting next season. These "fans" better wake up and start behaving properly - this transitional phase is going to need everyone's full support.

WYOBISONMAN
11-17-2003, 06:35 PM
Let's get some tailgating and great pregame stuff to draw more people in. This should be a huge event on Saturday.....more than just the game.

Bison_Kent
11-17-2003, 06:42 PM
For any of you that went out to Missoula, we need to copy some of their atmospere for the Montana Grizzly games. WYOBISONMAN is right. I think some of the Montana fans wouldn't go aside from the tailgating. I am sure everyone on this board would go just for the game but there are many others in the Fargo-Moorhead area that would come if it was a party astmosphere.

I thought it was getting that way until the stupid Fargo officials had to stop the fun. I was at the UC-Davis game and tailgated for three hours before the game. It is just something that would make people want to come out and it just might make the FargoDome a lot noiser then it has been.

BisonMav
11-17-2003, 06:49 PM
I saw a few people around Fargo after the game. They didn't go because the Bison lost to St Cloud and the game didn't mean anything. The game did mean something. It was Senior day, and the Seniors should recognized for their hard work. I realize everyone can't go to every game. I think this weekend had a lower attendence than what should have been.

somebison
11-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Crowds at the Fargodome are typically smaller at the end of the season. Hunting puts a huge damper on the turnout. The Dakota Bowl doesn't help a lot either. I could watch football all day, but some families don't want or don't have the time to sit at the Fargodome all day. Some people have messed up priorities ::)

Would night games at the end of the year help turnout, I know with the Dakota Bowl that was not possible, but night games would allow hunters to go out and hunt to about 4 and then come to the game (if they were hunting in Eastern ND)

bisonjay
11-17-2003, 08:11 PM
night games suck. college football is meant to be played on saturday afternoons. also, even though there weren't any students at the last game, i still think more students would go to games in the afternoon then on a saturday night. and where were all the teammakers (doesn't really matter though, they just sit on there hands)

Bison_Kent
11-17-2003, 08:18 PM
I might like a late afternoon game better then a early afternoon. If the game could start at 3:00, this would allow a little tailgate time before and after the game. Plus, it might get a few of the local hunters to stop hunting at noon and come to the game.

Just a thought.

Bisonfan1234
11-17-2003, 09:12 PM
Like i've said before, some people enjoy a quieter relaxed envirenment at the games. You have no right to yell excessivly if someone feels that that you're too loud. Sure they could always move...but so could you.

Former_Hitman
11-17-2003, 09:17 PM
To be honest with you, Fargo Doesn't seem like a College Football Town. Now, please don't be upset it's just how I feel.

It's more like business people who attend, especially at the night games.

We need to change that whole atmosphere/persona.

This maybe far fetch, however my brother attended the Iowa State and Oklahoma game in Iowa. He's discription of the tailgating and the fans inside the stadium was unbelievable. They had sooooo many things going on for tailgating it was like a Carnival/We Fest around the whole parking lot.

Somehow, we need get a small percentage of that atmosphere for tailgating and inside the FargoDome.

This is probably easier said than done.

IowaBison
11-17-2003, 09:17 PM
While I agree that rowdy fans can ruin the games for everyone, there is something wrong with a large number of Bison supporters.

During the last game I attended, I stood up and clapped during an impressive score, and was asked to sit down by an elderly group behind me.

This surprised me greatly because I know that I am a reserved, relatively boring person. Having been raised properly, I respected the request, but I didn't feel into the game from that point on.

Maybe there should be a special section where people can actively support their team, by cheering and expressing enthusiasm and another for those who prefer otherwise.

WYOBISONMAN
11-17-2003, 09:19 PM
I would have told them to stick it.....I guess I am a rude Bison fan....LOL

IowaBison
11-17-2003, 09:20 PM
Hitman, I'm a grad student at Iowa State and haven't missed a game yet, despite the fact that we are 2-8. I agree completely with your assessment of tailgating and atmosphere even at a school that doesn't have a tenth of the tradition of SU.

I honestly believe that a little social lubricant and a few organized activities for children and adults would not only increase the number in attendance, but the enjoyment had by all.

IowaBison
11-17-2003, 09:21 PM
WYOBISON,

I was sitting with my wife and mother-in-law. And by elderly, I mean elderly. Even a Sioux fan would think twice before telling that Methusala and his wife to stick it.

Bisonfan1234
11-17-2003, 09:22 PM
The problem with tailgating is alcohol. People want to drink and i see no problem with letting people do whatever they want as long as there are no problems.

But since it's on the NDSU campus, it would be hypocricy to let people drink on one part of campus and not another.

IowaBison
11-17-2003, 09:25 PM
Like they can drink in the President's residence or at the Alumni center for certain occasions, gimme a break.

I have nothing against enforcing the law- with underage drinking and disorderly conduct. But can't a guy or gal have a beer before or during the game.

I know we have a heckuva Scandhuvian/Prohibitionist background, but let us Germans Drink!

WYOBISONMAN
11-17-2003, 09:38 PM
Hell.....I am Norsk and drink heavily.... :o

NDSU_grad
11-17-2003, 09:46 PM
IowaBison,
I'm also a grad student at ISU (what department are you in?) and the tailgating is unbelievable. I haven't attended many games since my son was born, but driving by on Elwood Drive the atmosphere is unbelievable. And ISU is absolutely horrible.

Herd_Mentality
11-17-2003, 09:52 PM
I'm a TeamMaker. I'm under 30. I like booze. Therefore I am evil.

I was shocked and appalled to see:

1) Mayor Furness leave at the half
2) The empty student section
3) Not one single chant of "2's a faggot" when he got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty

I was pleased to see
1) A certain AD stopping to enjoy a beverage in the parking lot after the game.
2) The faithful that still showed up for the game
3) That guy in the "Sober Fan" t-shirt ;D
4) A few people getting a chuckle out of a fat guy screaming "High Snap" during a punt

Bisonguy
11-17-2003, 10:11 PM
I'm a Team Maker, am under 30, and like to drink while tailgating. I must be evil, as well.

I sit in front of an 80+ (I think she's 86) year old Team Maker, and she yells more than most fans at the games. She also has no problem standing for all the kickoffs.

Anybody else notice a lot of people dressed in Sioux apparrel at the game?

Former_Hitman
11-17-2003, 10:18 PM
IowaBison,
I'm also a grad student at ISU (what department are you in?) and the tailgating is unbelievable. *I haven't attended many games since my son was born, but driving by on Elwood Drive the atmosphere is unbelievable. *And ISU is absolutely horrible. *

Now, that's what we need as people drive by on University Avenue!

I am definitely in favor of the Fargo Police patroling for underage drinking and any potential problems.

Can you imagine? Everyone from young kids to older adults having a great time in the FargoDome parking lot on college gameday.

This is what college football needs and should be!!!!!!!!

Bisonguy
11-18-2003, 12:11 AM
There might be something on the WDAY 10 o'clock news about Tailgating at the Fargodome. They will probably just state that they are "considering" allowing alcohol, which has already been announced.

IowaBison
11-18-2003, 12:15 AM
I wonder if the open consumption of alcohol might be all that is needed to start a tailgating tradition at the Dome. A couple hundred people have an exceptionally good time the first game and the season and by the end of the year, despite the cold you could see a thousand or more.

I'm sure that students, if properly motivated, could begin showing up in droves, even when playing an easy win or a certain loss (don't know who we would be playing for the last part).

Bisonfan1234
11-18-2003, 12:35 AM
I'm all for having alcohol in the parking lot. Not because i want people to be extra loud, but because i believe in free choice as long as people are responsible for their actions.

bisonaudit
11-18-2003, 12:48 AM
Maybe there should be a special section where people can actively support their team, by cheering and expressing enthusiasm and another for those who prefer otherwise.

There is. It seats about 19,000.

bisonjay
11-18-2003, 02:54 AM
it must not be the fargodome your talking about, because there is only about 3500 that cheer during the game

Bisonfan1234
11-18-2003, 02:59 AM
it must not be the fargodome your talking about, because there is only about 3500 that cheer during the game

i disagree. Every fan cheers when a big play is made or in key situations.

However, your definition of "cheer" is very extreme...thus, not many people "cheer" during the games.

bisonjay
11-18-2003, 03:03 AM
all's i'm saying is we don't really have a home field advantage. what i would like to see, maybe this isn't everybody, is to have the dome rockin when the other team has the ball instead of it being so quiet. the students are the only one's ever making noise.

Bisonguy
11-18-2003, 03:07 AM
People need to start cheering the D on third downs. That's when crowd noise is most critical. They barely make any noise after the defense stops a third down conversion.

Bisonfan1234
11-18-2003, 03:22 AM
I think the part of the reason for this is the fact that we have a dome but yet at the same time a small fan base.

With other domes (metrodome) the fan base is so large that the whole dome gets filled with hardcore fans who cheer all the time.

However, with NDSU's small fan base, our dome allows ALL fans (esp non hardcore ones) to come watch the game. In fact, i'd say the non- hardcore ones outnumber the hardcore ones.

wsuwarrior
11-18-2003, 03:36 AM
With other domes (metrodome) the fan base is so large that the whole dome gets filled with hardcore fans who cheer all the time.

When the heck have you been going?

I know they get a pretty good attendance and fan base for Vikings games, but the Gophers attendance isn't good at all. *Here were their home games:

Tulsa - 36,623
Troy State - 31,393
UL - Lafayette - 34,929
Michigan - 62,374 (Largely Gopher fans)
Michigan State - 38,778
Indiana - 45,398
Wisconsin - 59,543 (At least 30% Badgers fans...probably more like 40%)

The Gophers draw very poorly, but the fans are for the most part good fans.

BisonMav
11-18-2003, 03:47 AM
The last Viking game I was at, the fans were not that great. The piped in music made my clothes vibrate, like a rock concert. Prior to kickoffs the music was blaring, at the moment the kickers foot hit the ball, the dome was silent. They just have louder music, the fans are very fickle in the metrodome. The main reason the fans get loud is because they are drunk, they do get help from the video screen and PA announcer. There is a lot of the corporate suits that sit close to the field between the twenties. Most of them walk by with earplugs. There is a nice party area outside the dome prior to the game, with live music.

Bisonfan1234
11-18-2003, 04:34 AM
I was referring to the vikes when i said metrodome.

Tuk
11-18-2003, 07:26 AM
I think the mentality of Fargo and NDSU needs to be overhauled for any changes in the fan base to be a reality. Look at North Dakota and Minnesota (at least the western half) and you see a bunch of people who don't even get excited for concerts. Everyone here is polite, conservatively socially, and wants to respect everyone within a 50 foot radius.

If any changes are to be made, it comes next year with the new Bison class, and a new push by the athletic department to energize the fans. Get cowbells, horns, noisemakers, and make the stands a sea of green and gold. Get pre AND post game activities going, and make some compromise with the tailgating issue so the drinkers can have a beer or drink BEFORE and AFTER the game.

The problem doesn't lie with the old fans, the dome, or anything else. It lies within everyone who loves Bison football and this "respectable" society we call the Red River valley.

What NDSU needs to do is to start a new culture; a culture of Bison fans who live, breathe, and eat football every Saturday.

Bisonfan1
11-18-2003, 01:56 PM
well said, did anyone read the ESPN story on the Ohio State fans? SDBISON provided a link, if the atmosphere could be a fraction of that we would have one of the most hostile environments in D1AA. Money well spent would be to send or marketing director to a few of these games and others around the country for ideas. Everyone on this board has had some great ideas to better the atmosphere, maybe we should all get together to discuss some issues, might also help with the Bison football withdrawl I and everyone will be sufferring over the winter.

wsuwarrior
11-18-2003, 11:16 PM
well said, did anyone read the ESPN story on the Ohio State fans? SDBISON provided a link, if the atmosphere could be a fraction of that we would have one of the most hostile environments in D1AA. Money well spent would be to send or marketing director to a few of these games and others around the country for ideas. Everyone on this board has had some great ideas to better the atmosphere, maybe we should all get together to discuss some issues, might also help with the Bison football withdrawl I and everyone will be sufferring over the winter.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/neel/031106ohiostate.html

I'm guessing this was the article.

As a 4 year resident of Columbus, and Buckeye fan above any and all teams, I can tell you this is entirely true. My favorite quote:

It looks like the pilgrims come to Mecca; it looks like mass at St. Peter's. You get in closer and you're lost in a sea of scarlet-and-gray shirts, sweaters, ties, shoelaces, necklaces, hats, socks, and souls, making its way through the gates like Yeats' blood-dimmed tide.

I like your idea of sending the marketing director around the country.

NDSU has a great base going into D-IAA. Best of luck to you guys.

bisononce
11-19-2003, 12:46 AM
Can we start by getting these North Dakota peasants to at least dress more in a little green and yellow? Go to a Bison game and you won't see more maroon, orange, brown... Maybe we can start a tongue in cheek bit with kangaroo courts. Have Bison Ambassadors interview miscreants - fining fans that are "poorly dressed." Make them sing the school song in the corridor, hand out green beanies etc. But then we'd get sued and stuff, huh?

bisonjay
11-19-2003, 03:48 AM
90% of the students don't know the school song