PDA

View Full Version : How did they miss the playoffs?

Jav_Fan
11-17-2003, 07:58 PM
Take solace, they were other teams that got much more of a raw deal.

East - Indiana (Pa) 10-1 ranked in top 10 in almost every poll. Made the mistake of losing to 9-2 Edinboro.

South - Delta State, Tusculum, Catawba (all 9-2). Look who they lost to. Delta State - Valdosta St & So. Arkansas. Tusculum - NDSU & Catawba. Catawba - Wofford (10-1 D1-AA) & Carson Newman. Throw their names in a hat along with Southern Arkansas, and only one spot to fill.

Midwest - Central Missouri - 9-2 with losses to 8-3 Missouri Western & 9-2 Pittsburg State.

West - Chadron State - 8-2 with losses to 6-5 Fort Hayes and 10-1 Mesa State.

And explain this to me, how does Mesa State rate a number one seed. They got beaten badly by Central Oklahoma in the first game of the year, while the A&M-Kingsville Javelinas lost to a DI-AA school, also in the first week, and have run the table against a tougher schedule.

Bisonfan1234
11-17-2003, 08:07 PM
I think in the south they have a somewhat solid logic for picking S Ark. S Ark only lost to North Alabama and Valdosta...who are the 1 and 2 seeds in the south region. However, the other 3 have at least one loss to teams that are not ranked 1 or 2 in the south region.

I think there is some explaining to do in the East. More than liekly it is the same deal of trying to get someone from each league in...no matter how competitive that league is with respect to the region.

Central played a weak NC schedule.

In the west i think it was simply a matter if there being 4 better teams. Chadron no doubt is good enough for the tournament, however.

Jav_Fan
11-17-2003, 08:18 PM
The only point I might disagree with you is Southern Arkansas. I think that Catawba should be in there. They lost to Carson Newman (D2 playoffs) and Wofford (in all likelihood DI-AA playoffs).

The real point I was trying to make was that although the Bison didn't quite get in, there were other deserving teams that are done also.

BisonBizzo
11-17-2003, 08:20 PM
Who is Bently?

I was scanning through all the d2 conference standings on the espn web-site and did not see them there. Also, there was a number of conferences not represented in the playoffs. Maybe that explains the south region. - the Gulf South Conf gets 3 teams in the playoffs?

You have to love the midwest region in d2 football.

Northern sun is viewed as strong as the NCC, each having one team from their conference in the playoffs for the last 3 years and now the Northern Sun gets a home game first round. The NCC has won the region the last 3 years. So why does the MIAA including this year gets 2 teams from their conference in the playoffs for the last 3 years?

BisonBizzo
11-17-2003, 08:23 PM
I was just comparing the South and the Midwest regions. I also, agree with Jav_Fan... Catawba might have been hosed like us.

Bisonfan1234
11-17-2003, 09:17 PM
No...Catawba didn't rate as high as S Ark if you had read what i said.

S Ark - 2 losses - they lost the 1st seed (UNA) and the 2nd seed (VSU).

Catawba - 2 losses - they lost to the 3rd seed (CN) and to a non-d2 opponent

To be consistant with the D2 criteria...it doesn't matter what division the non-d2 opponent is from...a loss to them is worth less than a loss to the 2nd seed.

Common sense, however, IMO would be to say that a loss to D1AA Wofford and 3rd seed CN is worth more than losses to the 1st and 2nd seed...but even then it's still close.

Also i think people are mad that 3 teams from the Gulf south got in and only one team from the SAC got in. I think they wanted it to be 2-2. Their certainly are plenty of good D2 programs in the south region.

NDSU was different however because we had 3 losses...one to a non seeded opponent.

somebison
11-17-2003, 10:18 PM
Here is an article about IUP getting snubbed, and a quote from the chairman of the National Committee

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1078&dept_id=151024&newsid=10526319&P AG=461&rfi=9

"We're becoming a much more inclusive tournament," Murray said, "and I think that's the desire of the championships committee and all of Division II, to become more inclusive."

Bisonguy
11-17-2003, 10:29 PM
More inclusive? I sure am glad NDSU is leaving DII. We won't have to put up with the "No School Left Behind" BS. This is far worse than the BCS. ::)

I can see the DII football championship in ten years..... Everyone is invited, don't play a down of football because it's not fair to the weak schools, they all get a national championship trophy, and then celebrate with iced cappucinos and watercress and avocado sandwiches..... ::) ::) ::)

Good bye to inclusive DII!!!!!!

Bisonfan1234
11-17-2003, 10:58 PM
I think the BCS is a pretty fair system and the bowls make a TON of money.

The top teams make it...and it's as simple as that.

Run like a business...just like sports should be.

Enough of this Micky Mouse crap.

Bisonguy
11-17-2003, 11:11 PM
Bisonfan1234,

I dont' mind the BCS, I just think I-AA has the best way of crowning a champion. The decision is made on the field. With the BCS there's a possibility for debate if there are three or more undefeated teams. DII is way down on the list.

airmail
11-17-2003, 11:16 PM

While I understand the frustration of some of the Bison fans about the playoff selection, the criteria was made clear last summer, and was followed in exactly that manner. I don't believe any outside political interest took precident over the discussed criteria... (at least in the midwest)

IowaBison
11-17-2003, 11:34 PM
Doesn't the Nickel Trophy belongs to the Blue Key Fraternity at NDSU?

Bisonguy
11-17-2003, 11:34 PM
It's just that the criteria is in place because of political interest. That's what I don't like about the DII playoffs. It is rather ironic that CMSU got left out because of the SSI changes that they were pushing.

IowaBison
11-17-2003, 11:59 PM
I think it's nice that the D2 playoff committee is trying to be inclusive. I remember being one of the last kids getting picked for kickball in elemantary school and it haunts me to this day.

airmail
11-18-2003, 02:15 PM
Doesn't the Nickel Trophy belongs to the Blue Key Fraternity at NDSU?

This is all I know...

The late Robert Kunkel, a UND alumnus and Chicago advertising executive, was the originator of the trophy. Blue Key, an honorary service fraternity on each campus, awards the nickel trophy.

BisonInTexas
11-18-2003, 06:02 PM

Sorry, but the BCS is not and never was designed to be a "fair system". It is simply the other extreme of the DII system - the big conferences get together and determine which of their members gets to play for the Mythical National Championship. It is the biggest crock I have ever seen. Every year I root for 3 or more teams at the top to expose what a fraud the BCS is.

Can you tell that I prefer the DI-AA playoff system? ;)

Craig

somebison
11-18-2003, 06:11 PM
Can you tell that I prefer the DI-AA playoff system? *;)

Craig

from the DIAA playoff handbook
http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2003/2003_d1aa_football.pdf

Championship Selection
[Reference: Bylaws 31.01.2, 31.01.3 and 31.3 in the NCAA Manual.]
At-large teams shall be selected by the Division I-AA Football Committee, assisted by four regional advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.
The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to complete the bracket;
2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select
from one conference;
3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, more than three losses will place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;
4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all Division I opponents; and
5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.

Wow, no "inclusiveness", no formulas penalizing teams for playing up a division, and the best teams nationwide make it? ..... interesting concept ;D

GFBison
11-18-2003, 07:44 PM
Yes, it looks great, although it looks like when we become playoff eligible we better not play the Sioux. :o

somebison
11-18-2003, 07:56 PM
Yes, it looks great, although it looks like when we become playoff eligible we better not play the Sioux. :o

Playing us hasn't seemed to hurt Montana, I think they were 5th in the last nationwide poll. I think common sense enters the equation in IAA as opposed to D2

Bisonfan1234
11-19-2003, 05:06 AM
Sorry, but the BCS is not and never was designed to be a "fair system". *It is simply the other extreme of the DII system - the big conferences get together and determine which of their members gets to play for the Mythical National Championship. *It is the biggest crock I have ever seen. *Every year I root for 3 or more teams at the top to expose what a fraud the BCS is.

Can you tell that I prefer the DI-AA playoff system? *;)

Craig

The top 25 teams in the nation are all from BCS conferences anyway with the exception of a couple. The top 16 for sure are BCS.

BisonBizzo
11-19-2003, 05:18 AM
TCU is not from a BCS conference and they are in the top 10. I don't like the BCS format right now either. Although it doesn't seem like the NCAA is ready to drop this type of format, they might make changes in the future to accommadate the rest of the D1 conferences.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1663323

whatever
11-19-2003, 05:20 AM
you all need to quit crying about not making the playoffs. you lost to 2 dII schools one of which was just over 500. Just because you had one better game than montana doesnt mean you should be in the playoffs. Wisconsin beat Ohio state does that mean they should be ranked number 2 in the country. One big win doesnt mean anything. The fact remains you lost 2 games to division 2 opponents. Also I love how the bison fans think all of dII and the NCC is going to fall apart after you leave because God only knows that you guys kept it all together. Have fun the next five years crying about not making the playoffs no matter what your record and also playing a total of 6 games.

Tuk
11-19-2003, 10:53 AM
you all need to quit crying about not making the playoffs. *you lost to 2 dII schools one of which was just over 500. * Just because you had one better game than montana doesnt mean you should be in the playoffs. *Wisconsin beat Ohio state does that mean they should be ranked number 2 in the country. *One big win doesnt mean anything. *The fact remains you lost 2 games to division 2 opponents. *Also I love how the bison fans think all of dII and the NCC is going to fall apart after you leave because God only knows that you guys kept it all together. *Have fun the next five years crying about not making the playoffs no matter what your record and also playing a total of 6 games. *
Another UND fan coming onto the site to try to make a pointless statement about Bison football. I wonder if the roles were reversed if "whatever" would still be singing his/her song? Whining is something I don't see often on Bisonville, but instead civil discussion on the whys, hows, and wheres of Bison athletics. If you want to label us as whiners then fine, do so. No one here can stop you. Just stick to your position when you get stuck in the 'you-know-what' when DII championship choices are made.

Furthurmore, I think I can speak for most people here when I think your observation about Bison fans toward DII minus NDSU is quite overblown. We know it won't fall apart, it is just that the selection criteria, gameplay, and general athleticism of the division in general will continue to degrade with new teams moving into DII from DIII because of lower scholarship no.'s and standards.

I for one think Division II will have a large base of powerhouse institutions who will continually win every year, and take home the same titles every season. The gameplay will be marginal because of the cash-strapped institutions being used as stepping stones in the powerhouses march to another championship. This is my hypothetical situation Division II football will turn into.

I think your post portrays Bison fans as egocentrists who live in a fantasy world. I for one can say the same thing about many other fans, especially UND fans. Does that mean I go onto SiouxSports.com and label every Sioux fan as an egotistical moron? No. I have the decency to realize everyone from UND doesn't fall under that umbrella. Have the decency to act in kind to us.

As far as the next 5 years, we won't be whining about not making the playoffs. We knew this was a part of the package of moving to DI, and accept it with open arms. If anything, we will WISH we had a chance to go furthur but realize there are rules NDSU must obey.

Then again, I might be just whining.... :)

BisonInTexas
11-19-2003, 01:50 PM
The top 25 teams in the nation are all from BCS conferences anyway with the exception of a couple. The top 16 for sure are BCS.

And why do you think that is? Because they are rewarded for being in a BCS conference via strength of schedule, etc. The BCS is just a modern day Good Old Boys network that is designed to make sure that the top conferences keep the bowl money in house. If a couple of teams squeak in to a BCS game, they just tweak the formula the next year to make it harder. As much as I hated the old bowl system, sometimes I think that was better, as it was certainly less corrupt.

The BCS will never be an acceptable substitute for a playoff system, IMO.

Craig

Bisonfan1234
11-19-2003, 04:12 PM
The sun shines on a dog's ass sometimes...

NIU, Bowling Green, TCU, they all had great recruiting classes this year. Will they be right back in the thick of things next year? Nope.

Strength of schedule? Look at TCU! HAHAHA! THey shouldn't be in the top 25 with that schedule.

I wouldn't be suprised if the BCS split away from the NCAA D1 so they could run their own business and keep the billions of dollars they generate with TV contracts and bowl games to themselves. The BCS teams are worlds ahead of the other teams in money generated, fan bases, and overall talent.