PDA

View Full Version : 1st vs. 2nd half of season offense

KTF
11-25-2003, 03:09 AM
It is really nice having two great backs, would NDSU have been better with a single solid back (Just Malone or Steffes)? Look at the second half of the season (after UND game), it seems that the passing game was a little more efficient in the second half of the season.

GFBisonFan
11-25-2003, 03:17 AM
I feel it is nice to have two backs, sparing some of the grind for a long season on just one back. That way they don't get dinged up easy (especially in younger backs before they physically develop). Also, it seems that one back or the other seemed to get into the flow of the game better than the other.

I would personally like to see one back get about 75% of the carries and another 25%. That allows one back to get into the flow, but not take the punishment of 40 carries a game.

somebison
11-25-2003, 03:33 AM
It is really nice having two great backs, would NDSU have been better with a single solid back (Just Malone or Steffes)? *Look at the second half of the season (after UND game), *it seems that the passing game was a little more efficient in the second half of the season. * *

I liked having two backs, even though it appeared Rod Malone got better as the game went on (AUGIE, SCSU). also I think NDSU's O did better in the second half because they played weaker defenses

First "Half" schedule
Montana (IAA)- 9-3
Tusculum 9-2
SD State 7-4
Omaha 8-3
UND 10-1
and mankato 0-11
Davis 7-4 (IAA)

combined record (7.14-4) with 6/7 teams having a record of 7-4 or better

Second "half"
Augustana 3-8
South Dakota (5-6)
St. Cloud 7-4
C-SP 8-3 *** (NSIC team.... just waiting for mustangfan to attack me 8))

combined record (5.75-5.25) only two teams above .500... also if you look at the defensive stats on the second "half" teams you will find them rated far below those of the first half

bohl4pres
11-25-2003, 04:26 AM
I think it worked pretty well having a pair of backs. Combining their statistics, look at what Steffes and Malone did early in the year. When Kyle got hurt that was then all Rod. Malone is a HORSE (Augy) and I've heard a source say that Steffes was the best back in the NCC (Montana). I don't think anyone can say it didn't work well having both of them active.

Bisonfan1234
11-25-2003, 04:27 AM
Also i would say that Steffes gave us a jump start vs. Montana.