PDA

View Full Version : Coaches

GFBisonFan
11-24-2003, 11:14 PM
I have been thinking of this since the season ended and dread the though, but...

Any thoughts of which of the assistant coaches will be snatched up?

I would love to see the staff kept intact, but I feel this is unrealistic.

Enos would be my first prediction, he helped turn a stagnant offense into an exciting playmaking bunch.

That being said, Coach Bohl has been able to put together a great bunch, here's to him being able to keep them together!!

C-Student
11-24-2003, 11:22 PM
My guess is that the group will be around another year or two. If similar success is seen in the next couple years, Bohl will be coaching D1A, and will bring some assistant with him. Maybe Bradley will stay?

Bisonguy
11-24-2003, 11:50 PM
Bohl has stated he will stay in Fargo as long as Bison fans want him to. He has a five year contract, and probably wants to try to make waves in the playoffs before he would think of leaving. Enos would be my guess as the first to go. He was a finalist for the Bison head coaching spot with Bradley and Bohl, and probably will get some offers. I hope Gus sticks around.

IowaBison
11-25-2003, 12:06 AM
Let's not get too excited. A Coach whose last name also starting the with the letter B had early success (on someone's coattails) and was expected to move up.

I think that NDSU will provide a challenge will take more than a few years to master and maybe longer for big time programs to take notice.

We've had some high class coaches, notably Ruley and Maughn, stick around when there were most likely other opportunities.

bisonjay
11-25-2003, 12:17 AM
i guarantee coach bradley will never leave ndsu, just my thougths

C-Student
11-25-2003, 01:53 AM
Bohl was in Lincoln, not Omaha! I don't think he has plans to be here very long. Nothing against the NDSU, but he has coached bigtime college football recently, and there is an ENORMOUS difference between Top 20 D1 and NDSU.

C-Student
11-25-2003, 02:03 AM
Don't get me wrong.....I would love to see Bohl stay for a long time. He restored the discipline, integrity, and character of the Bison. He is a class act, and as solid as any coach we have had, but I think he would love to get back to the D1 level.

KTF
11-25-2003, 03:03 AM
I would have to disagree with C-student. I feel that Bohl is going to stay for more than 5 years. I sense that Bohl REALLY likes NDSU enough so to commit to a long time. I say the only reason he leaves is because of pressure from fans and teammakers. I do expect that we will be looking for a new Offensive Coordinator soon though. Enos has a lot of talent which is a pro and con for NDSU. THey are going to have to shell out some money if they want to keep him.

GFBisonFan
11-25-2003, 03:11 AM
I think he would love to get back to the D1 level.

He is going to be next year ;D

I also think Bohl will be around for the duration of his contract and then possibly on to bigger things (unless the opportunity of a lifetime pops up).

Funny how Solich's name is now being torn apart in Lincoln (seen this on espn.com) and may be forced out. Can anyone say "SCAPEGOAT" i.e. Bohl fired last year.

SDSUFAN
11-28-2003, 02:38 PM
The Solich rumor about being ousted started last weekend, and a story appeared in the Lincoln Star Journal. *The Omaha World Herald checked further with the major donors, who give a million or more annually and they seem to know nothing about a purge of Solich.

Todays game with Colorado will either put this rumor to fact or fiction. I dont think Solich is going anywhere, but who knows.

Its really sad how some of the weird stuff called rumors circulate. *Last year down in Nebraska there where all kinds of rumors about Bohl being a womenizer and now the same rumors are flying about Solich. *Kind of sad. :-X

BisonMav
11-28-2003, 02:44 PM
I heard the Nebraska rumors too. A lot of Nebraska fans wanted Osborne's head prior to the Championship years too. Unfortunately in Nebraska it takes a Championship to quiet those people.

Former_Hitman
11-28-2003, 02:49 PM
I would like to see Coach Bradley stay at NDSU, however he deserves to be a head coach somewhere.

It might be a possibility Coach Bradley may leave to become a head coach for experience.

So he can be the Head Coach for the Bison someday.

airmail
11-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Not to turn this into a Cornhuskers thread, but lets say Solich gets the axe. Is there a chance that Bohl will throw his hat into the ring?

After all, it was Solich who wanted Bohl gone, not the administration, right?

BisonMav
11-28-2003, 03:12 PM
Not to turn this into a Cornhuskers thread, but lets say Solich gets the axe. *Is there a chance that Bohl will throw his hat into the ring? *

I doubt it.

As far as your little Gene Taylor quip. It doesn't take much brilliance for Roger Thomas to read instructions off of a Trust Fund document.

SDSUFAN
11-28-2003, 04:51 PM
Not to turn this into a Cornhuskers thread, but lets say Solich gets the axe. *Is there a chance that Bohl will throw his hat into the ring? *

Bohl throwing his hat into the ring in Lincoln? Never!!! Its been only a year since he left and the Husker fans wanted Bolh's scalp or bear head, before he was fired.
I look for Bohl to stay in Fargo for a few years. Being an assistant at D1A, he probably made very good money, but he was not running the show. Some will work for less if they can be the head man. That is what I sense as being Bohl's objective. Note that Rocky Hagar is looking to be the head guy at Missouri Southern after several years at Temple. I would think Rocky will be taking a cut in pay to get the Missouri Southern job, but he will only have report to a couple of deans and the president.

Former_Hitman
11-28-2003, 05:13 PM
I agree with SDSUFan,

Coach Bohl will stay in Fargo for sometime. I believe he'll like to help NDSU make the transition into a good quality D-IAA program.

Being a coach for any football program is ever changing.

As a head coach, your assistants are coming and going, you must make the best of it while you have them.

BisonMav
11-28-2003, 10:21 PM
It would be great to have a football coach stick around after building a winning tradition like Bucky and Amy have done for their sports at NDSU.

IronSilver
11-30-2003, 04:00 AM
Word just in from ESPN. Frank Solich has been fired from Nebraska. I quess he didn't have anyone to put the blame on this year.

NDSU_grad
11-30-2003, 04:06 AM
Funny how things work out. If Bohl isn't fired last year, he obviously isn't the head coach of the Bison this year, and now would be out of a job anyways.

NDSU_grad
11-30-2003, 04:18 AM
You guys should see the Nebraska message board right now. About 410 users online. This will be a pretty neat story to follow for the next few days.

BisonMav
11-30-2003, 04:38 AM
It will be interesting to see who they replace Solich with. Hope his replacement doesn't go after NDSU for assistant coaches.

bisononce
11-30-2003, 05:11 AM
NDSU grad. Re: Frank Solich. Will you please provide name/ handle of Nebraska message board? I've been trying and get some bogus stuff; no real connection...

BisonMav
11-30-2003, 03:08 PM
NDSU grad. Re: Frank Solich. Will you please provide name/ handle of Nebraska message board? I've been trying and get some bogus stuff; no real connection...

Here is the ESPN messagboard:
Nebraska Cornhuskers ESPN (http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/ncaa/request.dll?LIST&room=col_158)

NDSU_grad
11-30-2003, 07:20 PM
Here is the rivals site. If you aren't a registered on a rivals site, you'll have to in order to view the messages (I think), but it's free. http://www.nebraska.rivals.com

mustangfan
11-30-2003, 09:15 PM
As an outsider. I would think Bohl would leave for a IA job for the right situation. NDSU is very good, but it is still IAA and he is a IA guy. He must have alot of connections

IowaBison
11-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Bohl still has to prove himself as a coach. He's done extremely well with the Bison. But his tenure at Nebraska was not as spectacular.

It will take at least 2-3 years before he generates the type of resume that would attract a DI team. Especially if the team has a trying time in its first few years in IAA.

SDSUFAN
12-01-2003, 01:03 AM
While returning to my home in Nebraska from Brookings, I was listening to the Press Conference where it was announced that Solich was being replaced.

I think after today, Bohl is not about to throw his hat in the ring in Lincoln.

What is clear today is that Solich may have had less to do with Bohl's firing from UNL than did the new AD Steve Peterson. Peterson said its about the quality of the program that he needed to make a change. Granted UNL was 9-3 this year, but based on where the direction of where the recuiting is going and has been going the past few years, the AD and Chancellor of UNL( President) felt a change was needed.

The big concern, for the powers is the possiblity of UNL becoming a mediocare football program. It could happen no matter who it the coach.

The UNL admin feelsl they have lost too many recruits to Texas, Iowa State, Okalhoma and others in the Big 12.

The interesting thing is that Bohl's replacement at UNL. Bo Pelini is the interim coach. Had not Solich and Peterson been long time friends, I think Solich would probably have left last year after being pressured to fire some of these old guys that started with Devany. Bohl and the Burrows were,I think, thrown in to please the Husker fandom. It was strange that Solich was allowed to stay with assistants that probably were not his choice in hiring. Peterson said he has known Pelani since he was 19. Thats kind of interesting.

Pelini probably has a good shot at the head coach, but as the call-in hosts from KFAB Omaha said, Pelini is not a good PR guy. I could not agree more on that comment as he sound like very uncomfortable at the press conference. Politicall I do not agree with Gerry Saddlemeir and Jim Rose KFAB morning show hosts and Rose is the voice of the Husker, but about Pelini's ineptness with PR, I could not agree more. By the way Saddlemeier is orginally from Moorhead MN.

One other exciting thing happen and that was a few players were at the Press Conference. One of the players Bernard Thomas started asking Peterson sarcastic questions which Peterson diplomatically answered. The other players ushered Bernard out of the room as he was becoming embarrassing.

Bohl probably is happy where he is today after all that has happened in Lincoln.

WYOBISONMAN
12-01-2003, 01:56 AM
I hope you are right SDSUfan, but, Mustangfan is right when he says it will be tough to retain a coach in D1AA. *We will always be the stepping stone to something bigger. *Even with the established program Montana has at the D1AA level, plus living in Western Montana...retention of a great coach has been a problem. *It seems they always leave for something bigger and better. *I wish that wasn't the pattern and I am not sure how you would stop it.

We give UND a lot of shit about Dale Lennon, but I'll bet he moves to bigger things if he notches another Title this year, and he may move up anyway given UND's performance this year.

Bisonfan1
12-01-2003, 03:23 AM
I think you are right on track on the Dale Lennon thing, he did very well at Mary and with the Sue, his coaching resume is set for a move up. I would think he wants to see the sue move up to 1AA, and if no comittment anywhere in the near future he will be saying so long to UND. As for the Bison coaches, I think this super group of coaches will be around a few years, im not sure how the contract things work with assistant coaches, year to year? multi year? maybe someone knows and can post for my information.

IowaBison
12-01-2003, 03:29 AM
Most assistant coaches have contracts similar those of the head coach, except for a lot less and usually shorter periods of time, with far weaker penalties for dismissal. Since they basically serve at the whims of the head coach, their tenures usually coincide.