PDA

View Full Version : Trophy game with SDSU

MN_BISONS
07-31-2003, 05:13 PM
I think NDSU and SDSU should add a little twist to their new DIAA rivalry and make it a trophy game. The Nickel will lose its meaning in a few years and Roger and Co. will probably run and hide, so we need something new with the Jacks. Any ideas out there?? When we win the Nickel this year, I guess we could just melt it down and make a new one with a Rabbit and a Bison. Not quite the same, but it's a thought.....

89rabbit
07-31-2003, 05:18 PM
That sounds like an excellent idea. I will give it some thought.

BisonMav
07-31-2003, 06:29 PM
Could play for Teddy Roosevelt's Big Stick. From his famous quote "Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick". Roosevelt lived in North Dakota, and has a National Park in his name, and in South Dakota he is one of the Presidents carved into Mt Rushmore.

JBB
07-31-2003, 06:37 PM
excellent!

SDSUFAN
07-31-2003, 07:17 PM
Since both institutions were products of the Morrill Act of 1862, and Morrill was the honorable senator from New Hampshire, I believe. Maybe a Morrill Bust could be made from photos and that could be the trophy. Then the game each year could be called the Morrill Act game. Sounds kind of corny but what heck we both got an agronomy dept that finds better ways to grow corn.

NDSU_grad
07-31-2003, 07:44 PM
I think Morrill was from Vermont, not that it really matters. I like the idea of the Teddy Roosevelt game, though.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
07-31-2003, 09:10 PM
Sorry SDSU Fan, I'm with Teddy, At least until I can think of something better

89rabbit
07-31-2003, 09:48 PM
Put me down for *Teddy Roosevelt's Big Stick. ;D

BisonInTexas
08-01-2003, 01:43 PM
I like the Teddy Roosevelt idea, but my only problem is the very loose association of Teddy with SD. With our joint territorial heritage, we could have some sort of Dakota Territory symbol to play for (although I can't think of one offhand).

Another idea that I thought of, with the bicentennial of the Lewis and Clark expedition, would be some trophy related to them, as they spent considerable time in both states as they traversed up the Missouri.

Craig

SDSUFAN
08-01-2003, 02:47 PM
I agree with Craig. Teddy had more contact and visits with North Dakota. In fact I can not recall ever reading about a visit to SD by Teddy. Lets not forget he loved Medora.

The president who spent time in SD the most was Silent Calvin Coolidge who spent a summer in the Black Hills fishing and dedicated and on his back to Washington, the Sylvan Theater that is on the SDSU Campus and he may have been part of the Campanile dedication too, both happening during his term I believe.

Other than Coolidge, the only US Pres that is made more than one visit to SD is the current sitting president who made about 6 trips campaigning for John Thune for Sentator. Thune *lost to Tim Johnson by 526 votes. But George will be back again as Dashle a SDSU alum, is up for re-election in 2004.

Something relating to Land Grant Universities still seems most appropriate in my mind. Admittly the Morrill idea is not too good as its one that requires educating the public on who Morrill was and maybe his name was put on the bill because of seniority in the US Senate. Those things often happen and the true person who did the work never gets recognized.

NDSU Grad:
Thanks for correcting me, I knew I was close and should have looked that one up. *I guess its like someone from Boston saying "Pierre, North Dakota" .

Thanks for correcting me about *about Morrill's home state of Vermont. *

SDSUFAN
08-01-2003, 02:55 PM
One horrible and poltically incorrect idea is to borrow the Sitting Bull Trophy from Grand Forks. I recall the AD at USD made a press release that they were no longer going to play for this trophy when they played UND, because of insensitivty to Native Americans.

I think UND has had that bust for most of the series that started in the late 1950's between USD-UND when there was a big battle between ND and SD over the location of the grave site of Chief Sitting Bull. Can you believe that? Tourist attraction was the motivation.

I dont think we want to go down that road again.
Plus maybe the Sitting Bull bust will be needed if both stay D2 and need some interest in their future games.

BisonMav
08-01-2003, 03:37 PM
If a famous person or event is behind the naming of the trophy, there will be more national exposure. Roosevelt was a very famous President. Can you imagine the press on ESPN, Bison or Jacks carry the Big Stick this year.

Lewis & Clark sounds good also, could play for a Sacajawea Dollar.

Custer is another famous person with ties to both Dakota's.

89rabbit
08-01-2003, 04:07 PM
Custer is intriguing. We could play for a sword or some other cavalry iteam. Perhaps a bugle. Anyway there is no denying Custer's connection to both states. Good ideas everyone. Keep them coming.

swandawg
08-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Everyone knows an important part of a good rivalry are those who tailgate and party the whole weekend of the game. So, I think a good idea for a trophy would be an empty keg. Everyone loves kegs, right?

bisononce
08-01-2003, 06:35 PM
How about direct simplicity - Bison on one side, a jackrabbit on the other. (How a rabbit is presented, or dressed up, is another story. Big teeth and a sinister leer??)

SDSUFAN
08-01-2003, 08:50 PM
Everyone knows an important part of a good rivalry are those who tailgate and party the whole weekend of the game. *So, I think a good idea for a trophy would be an empty keg. *Everyone loves kegs, right?

Your point is well taken as far as I am concerned. Once UND makes up their mind to move up to D1AA, your Nickle trophy will be back in the limelight. That' seems to be where the real rivalry has been and I just dont think SDSU can replace UND as a rival. We love to beat the Bison though. No matter what sport, a win over NDSU is a quality win. Baseball has been a tough one to swallow for the Jacks the past two years.

SDSU-USD used to play for a little Brown Jug, similar to the Iowa-Minnesota game, but what happen to the Jug is beyond me. I think the last time it was even mentioned would be in the mid 1950's.

89rabbit
08-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Come on SDSUFAN don't throw water on our parade. *I love the idea of SDSU and NDSU being the only D I/I AA Schools in our respective states. *Batteling each other for Dakota supremacy every year. *The idea of a rivalry with the Bison is fun. *Sure it might take a little time to hate them they way I hate USD but I am up for the challenge. *I am sure my Bison Brothers feel the same about UND. *Who knows (and who cares) if or when UND and USD see the errors of their ways. *In the meantime we will be the undisputed Kings of our Dakotas. * ;D

Go State!!!

Tuk
08-02-2003, 01:58 AM
Well, here I go again with my 2 cents:

I think the idea of a rivalry started with SDSU/NDSU is a wonderful idea, but I think it would not really take effect until the Bison/Sioux Rivalry is finally over (which will probably be 10 years from now when UND gives up trying to win a game against NDSU and isolates itself with the coveted "hockey" program).....

As far as what to play for, well....there are numerous ideas available. I think the idea of Custer and Teddy just will not be politically correct (Custer) or won't really be a mutually shared subject. Lewis and Clark would be a great example....as well as something to do with the Morrill Act of 1862 establishing the land-grant college. Here are my ideas:
perhaps a symbolic item that identifies the university in general--double sided plaquard of our institutions official seals.
a symbol of our mutual relationship as land grant universities--no clue on what this may be.....maybe a friggen rock if nothing else.
a banner, trophy, or bronzed football of our first rival game and the inscription of the winner and year from then onward.

In the end, we will still know who wins the game though: NDSU Bison! ;) (just kidding SDSU fans, for now!)

SDSUFAN
08-02-2003, 03:07 PM
Come on SDSUFAN don't throw water on our parade. *I love the idea of SDSU and NDSU being the only D I/I AA Schools in our respective states. *Batteling each other for Dakota supremacy every year. *The idea of a rivalry with the Bison is fun. *Sure it might take a little time to hate them they way I hate USD but I am up for the challenge. *I am sure my Bison Brothers feel the same about UND. *Who knows (and who cares) if or when UND and USD see the errors of their ways. *In the meantime we will be the undisputed Kings of our Dakotas. * ;D

Go State!!!

I am really not trying to rain on the parade, but I think the SDSU-NDSU series will be promoted one way or another. I guess I am just a little uncomfortable with Roosvelt and Custer both. *Neither had much to do with South Dakota. Custer who got wiped out in Montana is the kind of guy I would not want to glorify. *Lewis and Clark and exploring the upper midwest seems to be the best suggestion so far in my mind. I got a feeling though that this game will *be promoted in both Brookings and Fargo because of the closeness and yes more rivialry if we can put a good football team on the field. That is my big concern. We have not done a whole lot since 1963 in terms of football except to be little over 500.

89rabbit
08-02-2003, 03:54 PM
SDSUFAN,

I was just giving you a hard time. You do raise a valid point. To have a rivialry we will need to win a little more often then we have since '63. What do you think it will take? More $$$ for the program, better coaching, etc. (I felt like we where about to turn the corner when Mike Daly was here, other then '99 I have not felt that way with Stiegelmeier). What do you think? If we find a way to make our football program as competitive as Basketball the rivialry will take care of itself.

Go Rabbits!

JBB
08-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Maybe, when NDSU wins the Nickle this year we should simply state that next year the SDSU game will be for the Nickle, not the UND game? Assuming SDSU moves up, we could simply say that the Nickle is a DI trophy now and UND is no longer eligable to compete for it. Something like that just might happen with the Prestigious Golden Arm Award and it just might a suitable and very satisfying solution to the NDSU/SDSU trophy game.

SDSUFAN
08-02-2003, 07:09 PM
SDSUFAN,

I was just giving you a hard time. *You do raise a valid point. *To have a rivialry we will need to win a little more often then we have since '63. *What do you think it will take? *More $$$ for the program, better coaching, etc. (I felt like we where about to turn the corner when Mike Daly was here, other then '99 I have not felt that way with Stiegelmeier). *What do you think? If we find a way to make our football program as competitive as Basketball the rivialry will take care of itself.

Go Rabbits!

Definitely more money and I think that will happen. Stieg's last two assistants that he hired, Karl Ballard and Doug McFadden have impressed me. *Karl played at Colorado State and is a very passionate coach and recruits Nebraska. Karl made some head way into Omaha-Lincoln this year. *He pushes the guys. *Doug, to my surprise is African American and he brings a new network for recruiting. So both are going to be important part of future. This not to say the rest of the coaching crew will not contribute, they will. Eric Eidness seems to have a good offensive play book and if we got the talent then we can execute. *I guess we need to keep these guys happy salary-wises. The assistants are not over paid by any means. If they contribute, then each year of experience is valuable. *I feel that some programs never get out of the basement because they continue to change coaches and staff.

Yes Mike Daly turned the corner. I hated to see him go but apparently he had other things he wanted to do with his life. Wayne Haensel, now there was a players coach. A super guy who I remember as a awesome player.

89rabbit
08-02-2003, 10:19 PM
Wayne is a nice guy. *I played with Wayne's son in high school (he was a Soph. they brought up come playoff time) my Sr. Year.

BisonMav
08-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Minnesota has several tophy games, and they have not won very often in the Michigan rivalry. They have the Little Brown Jug for Michigan, Floyd of Rosedale (pig) for Iowa, Paul Bunyans Axe for Wisconsin.

filbert
08-05-2003, 01:23 AM
I'll put a vote in for The Big Stick. It has serious coolness factor...could eventually get a bit of national media attention (you know, at the end of SportsCenter, they show the winning team parading around the field carrying The Big Stick).

Make it a big twisted piece of flooded-out Missouri riverbottom cottonwood, and there's your winner right there!

89rabbit
08-05-2003, 03:59 AM
I'll put a vote in for The Big Stick. *It has serious coolness factor...could eventually get a bit of national media attention (you know, at the end of SportsCenter, they show the winning team parading around the field carrying The Big Stick). *

Make it a big twisted piece of flooded-out Missouri riverbottom cottonwood, and there's your winner right there!

I'm with filbert on this one. *Teddy and The Big Stick does have the coolness factor and name recognition to make it a great trophy game. *What more connection to South Dakota do you need then a giant face attached to our beautiful Black Hills. *Get it, connection. . .ha ha ;)

bisononce
08-05-2003, 04:24 AM
Add a vote for Teddy and big stick trophy! Bully. ::)

NDSU_grad
08-05-2003, 02:56 PM
I like the Big Stick idea too. Outside of the Dakotas more people probably connect Roosevelt with South Dakota because of Mount Rushmore. It could be a pretty cool trophy.

JBB
08-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Plus, it would be fun walking around saying Bully all the time. I know we enjoyed it in Medora. Im casting my second vote for the "Big Stick". I hope nobody minds my voting twice.

I really dont count the Nickle idea because I was teasing. I do think it's important that the Nickle is in the posession of NDSU when und finally does come up with perfect excuse to quit.

Tuk
08-07-2003, 02:19 AM
The idea of a "Big Stick" award is appealing to me also. Since everyone seems to be leaning to this idea, any ideas on what kind of stick? I vote for the Missouri River bottomland 'diamond willow', which when properly worked upon makes a very nice decoration or walking cane. Take a look at some:
http://mypage.direct.ca/l/laninga/23s24.jpg

IowaBison
12-03-2003, 12:02 AM
South Dakota State already has the Cereal Bowl if I'm not mistaken why not use that as the mantra.

Being DI we might be able to get General Mills to Sponsor it.

We could give the winner a lifetime supply of Wheaties.

Bisonguy
12-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Doesn't General Mills make Lucky Charms?

Red hearts, green clovers, gold Bison, and blue bunnies- Always after me Lucky Charms! ;D

somebison
12-03-2003, 12:19 AM
Northwest Missouri and Truman play for a hickory stick...
but ours would be a BIG stick...

http://www.missourianonline.com/sports/university/2003/1030/nwfootballpreview.php

maybe we could play for that corn palace they have in mitchell

Tuk
12-03-2003, 06:03 PM
I would say we should play for some big old piece of Missouri cottonwood or elm. Grab some branch off a tree or get a piece of driftwood and let the football players throw it around when they win.....its cheesy, but it might be kinda fun.

The only problem is that I don't have a hatred for SDSU. They are like us in that they go out at 8 in the morning and drink, have some fun watching foozball, then get re-drunk after the game. No wine tasting, no hors d'vours (sp?), no turtlenecks, and best of all no N'Sync, Celine Dion, Yanni, or Ricky Martin blasting out in the parking lot. These people I could get used to liking, which makes this a bit of a new type of rivalry for me.

WYOBISONMAN
12-03-2003, 06:39 PM
During the 80's when Inniger was coaching mens BB we had some good teams that challenged and one at least one conference title. SDSU was a big challenge in winning the conference and we did start to develop a rivalry then. Since then we just flat have not been competative in BB and they have not been too competatice in FB. Add to that the fact that they are an institution with fans a lot like ours and they are tough to hate. An interesting sidebar, I remember during one of the BB games against SDSU back in the 80's when the SDSU team was being introduced before the start of the game...some enterprising NDSU students threw a bloddy dead jack rabbit out on the floor in front of thier team. I thought it added a nice touch to the game...

BisonMav
12-03-2003, 06:44 PM
*An interesting sidebar, I remember during one of the BB games against SDSU back in the 80's when the SDSU team was being introduced before the start of the game...some enterprising NDSU students threw a bloddy dead jack rabbit out on the floor in front of thier team. *I thought it added a nice touch to the game...
I was at that game. The Bison were averaging 5000-6000 fans per game back then. The only difference between NDSU and SDSU fans is that the dead Jackrabbit was thawed out, the SDSU fans thru a frozen coyote on the floor in a game against USD.

WYOBISONMAN
12-03-2003, 07:09 PM
BisonMav.....what years did you go to NDSU and what is your degree in? *I was in undergrad school from '79-84 and majored in Pol. Sci. *Grad school from 89-90 and I got an MBA.

BisonMav
12-03-2003, 07:18 PM
BisonMav.....what years did you go to NDSU and what is your degree in? *I was in undergrad school from '79-84 and majored in Pol. Sci. *Grad school from 89-90 and I got an MBA.
Graduated in 1986, BS Math and Science.

roadwarrior
12-03-2003, 10:56 PM
I was also at the "jack rabbit" game at the BSA. Didnt know whether to laugh or go "oh my god!". Later I learned the Augie fans did this regularly to the rabbits.

filbert
12-04-2003, 12:31 AM
Yes, both Augie and USD are notorious for their idiot student fans throwing frozen jackrabbits (or carrots...take your pick) onto the playing floor. Such antics have cost the Vikings at least two wins over SDSU at the Elmen Center that I can remember off-hand. I don't recall any games blown by moron Coyote fans, who occasionally expand their repertoire to tossing empty whiskey bottles at SDSU players or cheerleaders.

I was talking to a Missouri Tigers fan at work the other day...he was trying to tell me how wild a Border War basketball game between Missouri and Kansas can get. I told him about the frozen jackrabbits and whiskey bottles. I think I convinced him that I wouldn't see anything new or shocking at a KU-MU game that I hadn't seen at a State-U or State-Augie game.

Personally, I always wanted to throw a dead frozen Viking onto the court at an SDSU-Augie game.

Bisonguy
12-04-2003, 02:31 AM
Personally, I always wanted to throw a dead frozen Viking onto the court at an SDSU-Augie game.

You can find nearly 60 of them in the Twin Cities. They are easily distinguishable with their purple jerseys. ;D

JBB
12-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Steal the Nickel and play for that.

IowaBison
12-04-2003, 05:08 PM
We own the nickel, so we can just take it back, no stealing involved.

I think that would be great. We could recast the opposite side with a rabbit instead of an Indian.

Now that would piss the University!!

JBB
12-04-2003, 05:27 PM
Send them a bill for it and when they dont pay send out the repo man!

Texas_Jacks_Fan
12-04-2003, 10:35 PM
I always like seeing the rabbits reign down on the floor. Math Time: 1 rabbit=3 pts, 2 rabbits=6 pts, etc...
Augie lost the game in Sioux Falls twice in the late 90's due to the above math. Augie has enough trouble winning games with out dead rabbits. Besides NDSU can't start that, because I don't think we can sneak a frozen dead bison into a BB game. ;D ;D

IowaBison
12-04-2003, 10:38 PM
Yes, but if you did!

UTH
12-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Bump

What do people think about the progress of the rivalry and the trophy itself, now that several years have passed...?

Personally, I was a big fan of the big stick back when this thread was active, but the Dakota Marker does carry a piece of genious, in the sense that it pits the two whole states against each other - not just the Universities...

*I don't buy into a word of that "but there's another U in both states" crap. The XDSUs are the best programs, have the highest enrollment, and are the flagships.

TheBisonator
12-04-2008, 10:15 PM
My GOD UTH, how far back into the Wayback Machine did you have to go to dig this thread out of its grave??

RUN!!! RUN!!! ZOMBIE THREAD ON THE LOOSE!!!:hide: :hide: :hide:

MN_BISON
12-05-2008, 02:03 AM
Not that any one cares, but back in the day, MN_BISON used to be MN_BISONS.....must have created my account when I was drunk......:D

56BISON73
12-05-2008, 02:34 AM
My GOD UTH, how far back into the Wayback Machine did you have to go to dig this thread out of its grave??

RUN!!! RUN!!! ZOMBIE THREAD ON THE LOOSE!!!:hide: :hide: :hide:

You will have to ask Mr Peabody---drizzle drazzle druzzle drone time for this one to come home-----:D
PL