PDA

View Full Version : Two UNA players fail drug test

SiouxperMan
12-05-2003, 03:52 PM
Article from TimesDaily.com (http://www.timesdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031205/NEWS/312050343/1019)

2 Lions could miss playoffs
By Jeff McIntyre
Assistant Sports Editor

At least two North Alabama football players could miss Saturday's Division II playoff semifinal game after testing positive in a drug test taken after a recent playoff game, the TimesDaily has learned.

"We have received information pertaining to the eligibility of some of our student athletes," UNA Athletic Director Joel Erdmann said Thursday. "The circumstances surrounding the eligibility involve a possible violation of NCAA rules."

He declined to say which players are involved. In fact, he would not say which sport they play.

Erdmann, however, said the eligibility status of the players would be determined today by NCAA officials. The players could be disqualified from playing Saturday.

"We anticipate a full understanding of the circumstances and consequences late Friday afternoon," Erdmann said. "We will disclose the appropriate information at that time."

Unbeaten UNA plays North Dakota on Saturday in Grand Forks, N.D., with the winner advancing to the national championship game next week.

Erdmann said UNA received notification of the possible violation from the NCAA on Tuesday.

Sources said about six UNA players were selected at random for a drug test after the Lions' first-round playoff win over Southern

Arkansas. The NCAA requires selected players from participating playoff teams to take drug tests.

Sources said another player tested positive, but it was later determined he was taking prescribed medication that affected the test. As a result, he has been cleared.

UNA coach Mark Hudspeth said he could not comment on the matter.

"I can't say anything today," he said. "We may be able to have a release on it tomorrow, but I cannot comment on it at this time."

Hudspeth said whatever happens today will not distract the team on Saturday.

"There is never a good time for something like this," Hudspeth said. "But we've just been conducting business as usual. We've got some good depth, and we just have to move on."

IowaBison
12-05-2003, 04:44 PM
I don't understand why UNA wouldn't have to forfeit their win.

I also don't understand why you would test after a game?

Jav_Fan
12-05-2003, 05:11 PM
If the test was after the Southern Arkansas game, why did the play the following week? Does it take that long for the testing?

BisonInTexas
12-05-2003, 06:11 PM
I don't understand why UNA wouldn't have to forfeit their win.

I also don't understand why you would test after a game?

The NCAA always does random drug tests after playoff games. It was that way when I was in college back in the 80's and that was how Flint Fleming and Tom Smith were ruled ineligible for the 1986 NC game. Forfeiting the game would be a little harsh in my opinion.

Craig

WYOBISONMAN
12-05-2003, 06:18 PM
I am surprised too that they don't have to forfiet that win.

IowaBison
12-05-2003, 06:58 PM
It might seem harsh if your on the winning side, but if you just lost to a team that broke the rules you'd be pretty steamed.

From my point of few they should be playoff ineligible next year, if they should even play at UND this weekend.

Bisonfan1
12-05-2003, 08:05 PM
From the UNA message board, one may be a starting WR, also says a supplement, not narcotics.

tony
12-05-2003, 08:13 PM
Plenty of teams have had players made ineligible from drug tests including two Bison players in the 1980's.

Maybe they only test after the first round, but I thought it was after every round.

D
12-05-2003, 10:24 PM
This will change the game. Their top WR and third DT. Granted they have an offense where they spread the ball, but no one can afford to lose their top WR.