PDA

View Full Version : UND Fans

Bison4Life
12-03-2003, 01:44 AM
I just wanted to ask other NDSU fans if they find it hard to explain to UND fans about going to D1. I just can't seem to reason with them no matter how hard I try. I tryed to reason them tell them that UNA should be hosting instead of UND this weekend and I would get is ohh your just a sore loser....who do the Bison play this weekend. Then I would just tell them the Bison are moving on to bigger and better things and then of course they say why are leaving D2 when they can't win in D2 right. Of course then I had to tell them that the bison do have 8 championships compared to 1 for the Sue. No matter how hard I try to have a desent serious talk about the bison moving up to D1 all they can do is slam me back saying the bison are dumb for moving up and stuff. But my thoughts are they can make fun of me but what they will be eating crow when UND makes the move in a few years. And i also got a comment about why would UND want to leave when they are a Powerhouse in D2. I guess all i could say to that was NDSU was a powerhouse with there 8 championships and over 30 playoff wins. Then I got when was the last time the bison where in the championship game. But i was wondering if you fellow bisons deal with the same stuff I do.

somebison
12-03-2003, 02:09 AM
I gave up... also never bring up hockey if you do the whioux fans get excited and have to type with one hand after that the conversation (like their hand) goes south

i have a feeling this thread will be moved to smack talk in the not so distant future

IowaBison
12-03-2003, 02:23 AM
Honestly, who cares?

Some die hard UND fans have legitimate reasons to stay where they are, others want to go, but won't be satisfied, and some are ignorant and stupid and repeat the same things over and over.

I don't mind the ones who visit this site for the most part.

I think we are all getting a little nostalgic for the days when we played D2 football and our biggest rivalry was with the Sioux. I think fans from both sides are having trouble grasping it. But honestly who cares, our best days lie before us and UND is going to play little if any role in it.

Why try to explain anything to them. And why should they listen to us?

BisonMav
12-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Have you read your Bisonville Guide to Fans lately? ;D

You can usually spot a Sioux fan from a long distance because no self-respecting Bison fan is going to walk around in a mint green sweatshirt with a white turtleneck underneath it. Goat cheese and Volvos are also telltale signs of their presence. Do not approach them, although slow of wit and nearsighted, their sense of superiority is very acute and they could easily bore you to death. The average Sioux fan is pretty good-natured about the rivalry and when confronted with a Bison fan, is likely to lean back, give a chuckle, and say something like "If you want to work on a farm, go to NDSU. If you want to own the farm, go to UND." Since it's impossible to argue with something like that, a Bison fan might respond with something like, "Hey, that's a nice sweatshirt-turtleneck combo you've got there, Skipp or Tadd or Chipp or whatever you said your name was; do they have a men's department where you bought it?" Of course this works better if the Sioux fan is a male who hasn't seen "Footloose", but you get the idea.

Bisonguy
12-03-2003, 02:40 AM
It's a matter of difference in opinion and perspective. Some people are content being the big fish in a small pond, others want a greater challenge. Some people are happy working at McDonald's, while others aspire to be the head chef of a five star restaurant.

You can tell by the non-conf. games of recent years who is flipping burgers ;D

KTF
12-03-2003, 02:51 AM
Lucky for me, I have a manager that is a Sioux HOCKEY fan ::). He doesn't care about any other sports but HOCKEY. We have talked about the whoel D1 move, he agrees that NDSU is doing the right thing! I also thinks that SU and UND should continue the rivalry! He says they should quit playing when the Bison pound UND 80-0 also!!:) I guess one UND fan can be rational!

WYOBISONMAN
12-03-2003, 03:21 AM
From the Sioux Alumni that I know I would have to say most don't want to see the rivalry lost and most wish they were going D1AA. I think most the Sioux fans on this site are just into good natured shit giving mode. I am sure a great many of them wish they were going D1AA, but why the hell would they ever admit that online.

They are a bit to obsesed with hockey, but then again maybe we would be too if we had attended a University with a top notch hockey program rather than a top notch football program. In the end we are all just a bunch of damn Norskies or Germans from either North Dakota or Minnesota. I would suspect that 98% of us are either Lutheran or Catholic and identify with Lake Wobegon.....Not a hell of a lot of diversity between NDSU and UND...other than a whole lot of "shit givin' "Don't ya know..... ;D

GoAgs
12-03-2003, 05:25 AM
You guys should keep playing them even if they want to stay in D2. The Bison know what a solid D2 team can do to even a great I-AA school like Montana. When Sac State moved up they beat the Aggies 5 years in a row. There were articles all over Sacramento about how Sac State was going to move on to bigger and better things and the rivalry had lost it's appeal, nevermind that UCD had won the previous 18 (not a typo) meetings. I would guess that the game would continue to be one of your biggest draws regardless of the change in division. By the way since Sac State won those 5 straight up to '91 Davis has gone 10-2 versus the vaunted Hornets.

Bisonguy
12-03-2003, 05:46 AM
GoAgs,

NDSU still wants to keep the game with UND. It's UND that's crying that they need another home game, then the scholarship advantage is too great (until NDSU beat Montana), then it changed to the game will hurt our playoff chances (even though there will be six teams per region for DII starting next year). NDSU sent a home/home contract to UND, but they would not sign it.

JBB
12-03-2003, 06:21 AM
Its roger thomas and other alums. *They feel playing NDSU will help us in a move they have strongly opposed. *Of course its best for the fans and the schools to maintain the rivalry. *Of course the D2 criteria might play against them a little bit in the playoffs, but they have called *an all sports no compete agenda. *What does that tell you?

I really dont feel there is much good nature about it. *Some of the und fans on here are funny and challenging, but they all think the same way. *

Bison4lifs post was very insightful. *Of course we have all experienced the whioux attitude. *If und were a person they would be outcast, but they can continue a lot like Mr. Burns on the Simpsons. *Its best we stop playing them, and never let them back on the schedule come hell or high water unless our terms are met. *We are far better off sending the athletic department $15 extra dollars apiece than putting up with their behavior. *Thats exactly what I intend to do, in fact Im sending $100 in case some of you forget.

It wouldnt be sportsman like to insult or degrade them in any way. *They are enjoying success at their level, at least in football. *Congratulations to them. *They have been building for this since the 11th BISON win in a row. *They are now on top with a tough game on Sat. *

Hopefully all fans will pick their sides. *Im not going to wish them luck if that tells you anything about my favorite. *I think UNA plays in a more prolific offensive league that might be lacking on defense, but not so much that the whioux can really dominate. *If they dont lose their confidence, play their game and dont let the hilarious fans get to them it should be routine. *But, stranger things have happened. *8)

SiouxperMan
12-03-2003, 04:43 PM
They are a bit to obsesed with hockey, but then again maybe we would be too if we had attended a University with a top notch hockey program rather than a top notch football program.

Maybe 15 years ago. We've got both now!!!! ;D

IowaBison
12-03-2003, 05:47 PM
You forgot to mention that your top notch program is in Division 2.

Bison4Life
12-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Yes that is the correct Iowabison.

legend334
12-03-2003, 09:26 PM
Sioux will win against this top notch program on sat...34-31 on a jeff glas field goal.....again.....and kingsville will be a tough opponet for UND....

Jav_Fan
12-03-2003, 09:29 PM
Sioux will win against this top notch program on sat...34-31 on a jeff glas field goal.....again.....and kingsville will be a tough opponet for UND....

...and Kingsville will be ready!!!

Go Hogs!!!

bisonaudit
12-04-2003, 12:33 AM
I thought on UND not going DI.

Despite what he's said in the media is it possible Roger Thomas really wants to go DI, but has been stimed by a President who had a previous bad experience with a change in classification?

Is he using the rivalry game and the attached alumni support as leverage to hasten a move to DI? If the alumni decide they want the rivalry and the only way to get it is to move to DI, all that's left to do is put the blame in the right place and presto... The Pres. either caves or you get a new administration (with some vision) to take the school DI.

Rodger's not the problem. Kupchella is. You want you Bison-Sioux? Move Kupchella out and you'll get it back.

JBB
12-04-2003, 10:58 PM
You might be right about Kepchella, or whatever his name is, but roger thomas is a problem too. Have you forgotten the annual complaints filed by the man against NDSU at the NCC winter meetings? There is nothing benign about thomas and if cappy is behind him so much the better.

GiantBison12
12-05-2003, 01:19 AM
Bison4life it is very ironic that you brought up this topic. i have had exactly the same wars you have, all very recently. What gets me again is their lack of knowledge on the subject, and then their willingness to debate. Football as axample, they are always willing to sell the ND natives short, saying once they are into 1aa that they will not be able to play. Then I come back with was that not kyle steffis and a handfull of others(nd&mn) that just moved the ball at will and beat MT. I think you can amagine what their combacks are. ie fluck.
I even turn it around and make und players as axamples
and they still spin it every possible way. They must understand that 1aa football is a far cry from the big 12.
To me it is d2 with 20 more scholorships. I could go on all night about the silly arguments they throw back, but i dont want to waste anymore time. I want to say their are some open minded und fans, but I have not come across them. I am interested if anyone else has had such incounters and good solutions

NDSU, SDSU DI, Damn right!

UND33
12-05-2003, 02:46 AM
Calling in for back up huh? I agree D1-AA is the same as D2 with 20 more scholarships....so quit trying to sell it like its anything more than that.

IowaBison
12-05-2003, 02:57 AM
There is a bigger difference between DI and D2 besides scholies. More like comparing 3 for 1 catfood to Morton's Prime Rib.

Bisonguy
12-05-2003, 03:18 AM
Actually, DI-AA is like DII with 27 more scholarships (soon to be 33) ;D. DI-A is like DI-AA football with 22 more scholarships. Obviously, DI-AA is closer to DI-A than DII.

BisonMav
12-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Actually Division II is closer to what NAIA used to be in the 1980's. ;)

BisonInTexas
12-06-2003, 03:38 AM
Actually, DI-AA is like DII with 27 more scholarships (soon to be 33) ;D. DI-A is like DI-AA football with 22 more scholarships. Obviously, DI-AA is closer to DI-A than DII.

And 25 years ago DI-AA was like DII with 18 more scholarships. See a trend there?

Craig

KC7
12-13-2003, 03:35 AM
Like anything in life if you can't figure something out, you can almost always follow the $$$ to find the answer. Division 2 had more depth and talent at 45 full scholarships then when it was cut to 40, then again to 36 and probably soon to 33. The 1986 Bison were 2 deep with talent and probably the best ever Bison team. By 1990 with just a cut in 5 scholarships the talent went from four players to play 2 positions down to 3 players for 2 positions. You still need money(ie. scholarships) to get and keep good athletes. The route the NCAA has taken with it's Div. 2 football program cutting scholarships only weakens the quality of the league and hence more Crookstons, Mooreheads and Concordia-St.Pauls. It was time to move!

bisonjay
12-13-2003, 11:58 PM
Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah. Sioux LOSE