PDA

View Full Version : Re: Media Scrutiny

D
12-15-2003, 02:27 AM
Lets see if the Fargo media questions UND on the matter of Luecks comments. And will the media question Thomas s reaction to UMD releasing the names of the 4 finalists. Lets give them (including Lennon) a LIVE call in talk show to answer these questions from the public. Also, Rts *character showed when he did not endorse his assistants publicly.

Just so you know, RT isn't the football coach anymore, so they are Lennon's assistants. Also, why would Lennon or RT (even though this just in he isn't the coach), be concerning himself with endorsing assistants in the week before the National Championship game. I'm sure the Bison faithful will call that selfish, but he and the staff had more important things to be concerned with last week. Mike Tice was pissed when O'leary was named the UCF head coach because he thought it would deflect attention from his/their task at hand. Same situation. I doubt that waiting 24 hours to announce the candidates would have effected UMD too negatively.

D
12-15-2003, 02:44 AM
Well, you are making my argument for me. It seems everybody else in the NCC knew who was interviewing. My brother in Crosby knew who was interviewing 2 weeks ago. So why is RT angry at UMD? Why should he concern himself *they released the names if he is the AD not the football coach? *

That is his job, Athletic Director, overseer of everything athletics. He isn't concerned about losing football assistant coaches, it happens, he's pissed about the manner with whichit was conducted. His argument is over the fact that he had talked to the UMD and asked that they honor the fact that UND was one of two teams with something left to play for in D2, outside distractions weren't needed. The players had enough to deal with with it being the week before finals, pretty intense media coverage, along with football and didn't need to be thinking that they may be losing their favorite coach/mentor. IMO, RT is right here, and I base that with every unbiased bone I have. UMD would've been fine holding onto that list for another 24-48 hours. If you or anyone else was in his situation you'd almost have to think the same way. RT does have his shortcomings, but I don't think what he asked for was too much to ask.

Bisonguy
12-15-2003, 02:51 AM
If the coaches didn't want their names released, they should not have applied for the position. UMD didn't owe anything to UND.

D
12-15-2003, 02:54 AM
Then maybe he should be "pissed" with those in Grand Forks and spoke to others of the matter. Are you his wife or what? RELAX!!!!!!!!!!!

For one, I am completly relaxed and didn't vent any anger anyewhere in the two previous posts. Secondly, assistants apply for different jobs, it is a fact of coaches lives. But applicants themselves cannot physically release lists of finalists for the job that they are applying for. That is the job of the institution. Therefore, RT is pissed at those folks, UMD. Also, one of the reasons the UMD AD gave for releasing the names was because "people here are getting anxious". Not a very good reasoning.

met1990
12-15-2003, 02:55 AM
Hey guys, lets settle down a little bit. I think it's pretty obvious Thomas is just trying to get the fire stoked with UM-D. After all, they are replacing SU as their main rivals next year right?

D
12-15-2003, 02:57 AM
If the coaches didn't want their names released, they should not have applied for the position. UMD didn't owe anything to UND.

There is a time frame for applications to every job. If you want the job, a resume must be submitted within that time frame. you have no chance of potentially moving up in the world and getting a better job. UMD didn't owe UND much, but they did owe them what every person on earth owes eachother, respect, and none was showed for the candidates who are employed by UND.

somebison
12-15-2003, 03:02 AM
http://www.bobfromaccounting.com/bfastore/relaxtee.jpg

clyde
12-15-2003, 03:03 AM
Again you are making my argument. He had a chance to publicly support his staff and did not. What a great time to say they would make two fine candidates. So much for respect.

D
12-15-2003, 03:04 AM
D. How did others know before the release from UMD?

I don't think (but could be wrong) that anyone knew who the finalists would be before the press release, which is the heart of the problem. Everyone applies elsewhere, but when you are labeled a "finalist", it is natural human reaction to get nervous and distracted, once again, that is what RT is mad about. I have talked to 4 knowledgeable UMD grads since Friday, one who just completed his SR football season, and they all agree that UMD put UND in a not so favorable situation.

D
12-15-2003, 03:15 AM
So you are saying the Sue coaches were distracted?

Here is all I can say. I listened to Mike Tice on 1280 AM on Wed. He and Red Mcombs (who was vented publicly to the media much the way RT did) had talked and agreed that they in no way wanted O'Leary's situation to distract the team. But they agreed that no matter what, it would be in the back of every player and on field personel's mind, so it was in fact a distraction in a way. In UND's situation, did it cost them the game, of course not, but was it a situation that could've been avoided, yes. The ball was in UMD's court to avoid this. Were the coaches distracted, I don't know, only they do, but if you think of your life, and when/if you've ever been named a finalist for something, it has most definetly consumed a fraction of your thoughts, be it small or not.

D
12-15-2003, 03:15 AM
Damn I get long-winded sometimes. ;D

D
12-15-2003, 03:18 AM
And to add, it really isn't signifacant if the coaches were too distracted, it's not as if they were going call the wrong plays, it's the people on the field who are the one's who I'd be worried about being distracted.

GFBison
12-15-2003, 03:27 AM
I think it's up to the applicant(s) to request UMD to not release their name(s). So, if the two coaches made the request, then you have a compliant. If not, blame the coaches, UMD isn't concerned with UND's desires.

D
12-15-2003, 03:33 AM
By the way. If UND grads make so much money. Why cant they pay coaches more? Education is relative to income?

I dont' know nor have I ever stated anything about UND making so much money. *It isn't as if they are underpayed, more that there is an opening for a head NCC coaching job. *I totally doubt that there is one OC or DC in the NCC making more than any head coach.

D
12-15-2003, 03:39 AM
Well. You own the farm right?

That is a pretty old and stupid saying, I've never liked it. I may strongly dislike NDSU from a rival standpoint, but I am sensable about it and respect NDSU for what it is and has accomplished. I'd just never allow my kids to go there ;D ;D.

D
12-15-2003, 03:46 AM
I am sure your kids will make fantastic flight attendants. ;D ;D ;D Pass the peanuts ;D ;D ;D

Oh no, they'll be groomed as point guards. Having a 6'6'' father and 6'0" mother, it is a fool proof plan. ;)

JBB
12-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Clyde is absolutely correct on this one. thomas passed up an opportunity to promote his own with a generous comment.

Instead he thomased everyone with a blast or two. Thats just the way he is he thinks he controls everything. Unless the candidates themselves requested their names not be mentioned UMD has the right to talk about it anytime they want. Im sure they discussed it, it has always been discussed when Ive been in job negotiations. thomas tried to control that situation from the outside and then has the indignity of being angry when he cant.

Monana State and Earl Sommonson announced on the eve of one of the NDSU championship games that he was headed to Montana State. The BISON went on to win one for him. NDSU didnt start in on Montana State and what a lack of class they had.

thomas has no grace, operates as an unpredictable and emotional businessman and is probably not the best guy for the job. Unfortunately his persona permeates the entire program.

Bison_Jerky
12-15-2003, 02:26 PM
I think it's up to the applicant(s) to request UMD to not release their name(s). *So, if the two coaches made the request, then you have a compliant. *If not, blame the coaches, UMD isn't concerned with UND's desires. *

GFBison's idea of an interview wrap up.

"Well Thanks for your time and I can hope to hear from you soon? OK, well there is one more question. I have this other job and well, ah, when I am announced as a finalist, uh, oh jeez, could you not announce it because we have a big game coming up."

Like someone would tell the person they are trying to impress for the head coaching job that they can't release the news until a certain date. You wouldn't know that though, the Qwikie Mart probably doesn't have interviews. ;D