PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota-Duluth?

Bisonguy
12-24-2003, 06:09 PM
With UMD hiring former UND defensive coordinator Bubba Schweigert, what are the odds that he will keep the game against NDSU on the schedule?

KTF
12-24-2003, 06:26 PM
I would guess it is 50-50. With 15 years of hostility towards the Bison, it would be natural for him not to want to play the game. Though he may also keep the game, so they can get revenge on the Bison (hoping to beat the Bison). Another factor that he may be faced with if he were to cancel the game, would be who does UMD play instead?

D
12-24-2003, 06:34 PM
I would guess it is 50-50. With 15 years of hostility towards the Bison, it would be natural for him not to want to play the game. *Though he may also keep the game, so they can get revenge on the Bison (hoping to beat the Bison). * Another factor that he may be faced with if he were to cancel the game, would be who does UMD play instead?

I'd be astonished if they cancelled that game. For one, UMD has something like 18 football scholarships to add, and I'd guess the guarantee for the game would be $20,000. For two, Bubba is a great and reasonable guy who wouldn't want to start out his head coaching career by pulling the plug on that game. I wouldn't be too worried about them though if I were you guys, they lose their All-American WR and quite a few more starters. Having Bubba does make them a lot scarier to me, though.

SDSUFAN
12-27-2003, 11:58 AM
The AD has to sign off on all games on the schedule so Bubba does not have the final say on any game. *Its up to Nielsen who was kicked upstairs to be AD. *Schweigart certainly can claim much of Lennon's sucess with the defense scheme that has worked well. *I suspect that same scheme will be hard to put in place at UMD without the good athletes that Schweigart had to work with at UND. *Will UND have some *one to fill Schwigarts shoes? *Thats the big question and now that Bubba is gone, I wish SDSU was still playing UND.

JBB
12-27-2003, 02:02 PM
I would like to see UMD on the schedule. They arent in the NSIC anymore so there probably arent any playoff implications. It will be interesting to see where they end up. They are in a transition of their own.

JACKGUY
12-27-2003, 07:47 PM
I had heard when the debate enraged over the NCC moving to a D1AA conference that UMD was supportive or at least willing to examine. This is certainly a school on the rise with a lot of Twin City kids choosing to attend the school.

Bisonfan1234
12-27-2003, 10:46 PM
Duluth is only a couple hours from the twin cities, but i have a hard time believing that any MN public school would be allowed to go D1 with UMTC being the big dog.