PDA

View Full Version : Rod Malone ranked high in NFL draft analysis

Bison_Kent
12-31-2003, 06:38 PM
Here is an Insiders.com top 75 RBs eligible for the NFL draft. Malone was ranked 28th.

http://story.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=143&p=2&c=208598

wfduck
12-31-2003, 07:06 PM
Here is an Insiders.com top 75 RBs eligible for the NFL draft. *Malone was ranked 28th.

http://story.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=143&p=2&c=208598

wow
ahead of Shaud Williams of 'Bama
also see Heckendorf at 30 for QB and from Grand Forks Red River DT from Wyoming Brandon Casavan at 71.

JBB
12-31-2003, 08:43 PM
Looks to me like Malone is the only DII player in the top 75. No wonder he looked so good!

somebison
12-31-2003, 08:48 PM
Looks to me like Malone is the only DII player in the top 75. *No wonder he looked so good!

and ahead of all IAA rb's :D

Bisonguy
12-31-2003, 08:51 PM
Wow, and even after splitting playing time with Steffes. (at least for part of the season.)

Bisonfan1234
12-31-2003, 09:56 PM
and ahead of all IAA rb's *:D

Somehow the guy from Colgate didn't make the list.

D
12-31-2003, 10:04 PM
If Tony Satter and Phillip Moore couldn't make an NFL team, then I don't see how Malone could. Not to compare those 2 and Malone, but they are the 2 best backs I've seen in the NCC. Sure, others had better numbers than Satter, but he didn't get nearly the carries that anyone else did. Malone isn't close to being in the same league as those 2. Moore and Satter were both legit 4.4 40 guys. Malone is probably a 4.5 guy, maybe not though. I guess I don't see him as being too much of an NFL prospect, but good for him anyway.

Bisonfan1234
12-31-2003, 10:06 PM
Maybe, maybe not.

I think he runs a 4.4 though.

somebison
12-31-2003, 10:13 PM
Somehow the guy from Colgate didn't make the list.

he is a jr and I doubt he is going to leave early.. i think malone is very very good.. however he doesn't have the breakaway speed other backs (satter, gordon, jake morris) have had. I can't recall a long run where rod ran past db's

BisonInTexas
01-01-2004, 03:13 AM
If Tony Satter and Phillip Moore couldn't make an NFL team, then I don't see how Malone could. *Not to compare those 2 and Malone, but they are the 2 best backs I've seen in the NCC. *Sure, others had better numbers than Satter, but he didn't get nearly the carries that anyone else did. *Malone isn't close to being in the same league as those 2. *Moore and Satter were both legit 4.4 40 guys. *Malone is probably a 4.5 guy, maybe not though. *I guess I don't see him as being too much of an NFL prospect, but good for him anyway. *

Satter was a great back, but he wasn't a 4.4 guy - more like a 4.6. That's why he couldn't make an NFL team, or was even drafted. There is a lot more than speed to being a football player, but the draft is all about the numbers. If Malone is running a 4.5 at that size, he will get drafted. Whether he makes a team is another matter, but I am pulling for him.

Craig

wfduck
01-01-2004, 04:39 AM
I'll give the Insiders credit....they know more than I ever will about pro prospects. If they think Hecknchuck is the 30th best QB and Malone is a top 75 RB.....that's gotta be pretty legit.

I'll give Satter, Morris, Lloyd, Gordon their props. But I gotta throw Harry Jackson a bone. He was a GREAT NCC RB.

D
01-01-2004, 07:21 AM
Satter was a great back, but he wasn't a 4.4 guy - more like a 4.6. *That's why he couldn't make an NFL team, or was even drafted. *There is a lot more than speed to being a football player, but the draft is all about the numbers. *If Malone is running a 4.5 at that size, he will get drafted. *Whether he makes a team is another matter, but I am pulling for him.

Craig

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on Satter's speed. If memory serves me correctly he was about a 4.4 guy who didn't make it based on size. He was one of if not the most explosive runner I've seen in the NCC since I've been around it. I think he would've made it if, like you said, he had the numbers. But in that option, there were so many threats and the games were usually blowouts so he was out of there by the start of the 4th quarter. That's beyond the point though, it was 15 years ago. I've always believed that he got shafted by the pros.

JBB
01-01-2004, 08:04 AM
Whos going to bad mouth Satter? Malone is one of the best backs in the nation today. Ive seen him play. He deserves it.

C-Student
01-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Satter was GREAT; however, he was honestly a 4.6-4.7 guy. He was far and away the best player I ever saw....from close up. Besides the fact that he had a couple problems handling the ball on a nationally televised preseason game, his downfall was likely his lack of NFL speed. Even Erhardt couldn't work his magic to keep him on the roster. Had he made a team, my guess is that he would've played for 10+ years, and been an "Emmitt Smith" type back. As far as Phillip Moore, he was a good back, but there are probably 6 "Phillip Moores" on Nebraska's roster right now????

Malone could potentially be drafted, but likely will have to take the free agent route. A very good back, but I would doubt he will make it.

TC.Bison
01-01-2004, 04:47 PM
I'm a huge Satter fan but he played on a team that totally dominated most of their competition. On many plays he wouldn't be touched (or even forced to cut) until he was 4 or 5 yards downfield. I don't think he was that fast but did have great moves.

Lamar Gordon had nearly twice the athletic ability of Satter.

I'd put Malone below Satter. He doesn't have a chance in my opinion. Heckendorf does have a shot. I hope we can land his brother....anyone heard any news on that?

BisonInTexas
01-01-2004, 07:08 PM
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on Satter's speed. *If memory serves me correctly he was about a 4.4 guy who didn't make it based on size. *He was one of if not the most explosive runner I've seen in the NCC since I've been around it. *I think he would've made it if, like you said, he had the numbers. *But in that option, there were so many threats and the games were usually blowouts so he was out of there by the start of the 4th quarter. *That's beyond the point though, it was 15 years ago. *I've always believed that he got shafted by the pros.

Its okay if you want to disagree about Satter's speed. Just know that I was there when they timed him. He was always in the high 4.5s and low 4.6s. That is not to diminish Satter in anyway. He was one of the great backs of all time for the Bison and that is saying a lot. He was probably the greatest cutter I have ever seen. It was nearly impossible to get a clean shot on him.

And when I spoke about the numbers needed for the draft I was referring to the 40 yard dash times and size. That's what gets you noticed in the draft. I doubt that any NFL team is going to pay too much attention to DII stats when they are determining who they are going to draft.

Craig

D
01-02-2004, 04:01 AM
Its okay if you want to disagree about Satter's speed. *Just know that I was there when they timed him. *He was always in the high 4.5s and low 4.6s. *That is not to diminish Satter in anyway. *He was one of the great backs of all time for the Bison and that is saying a lot. *He was probably the greatest cutter I have ever seen. *It was nearly impossible to get a clean shot on him.

And when I spoke about the numbers needed for the draft I was referring to the 40 yard dash times and size. *That's what gets you noticed in the draft. *I doubt that any NFL team is going to pay too much attention to DII stats when they are determining who they are going to draft.

Craig

I stand corrected then. He always seemed to have a higher gear than everyone he played with and against, and could cut on a dime. He was one of the most spectacular football players to watch than anyone on any level I've ever watched. I've never been a Bison fan, but have always been a Tony Satter fan.

Herd_Mentality
01-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Phillip Moore didn't have the build to be an NFL runningback. He was elusive, sure...but his thin frame would've been broken had he ever taken a full hit in the NFL. Actually, I believe he made the practice squad for the Bengals back in the day...so he had his "shot".

gobison
01-05-2004, 01:05 AM
I remember being at the games and everytime it seemed the Bison needed a little kickstart, Satter got the ball and broke it wide open. Still have some on tape I watch, and Tony was incredible to watch. However, I remember he did have a tendency to put the ball on the carpet. It didn't matter much when he played DII, because he always made up for it by bursting for a 60 yard score. The last game I saw was a preseason game with the Giants when he mishandled a punt. It's harder to make up for turnovers in the NFL.....

Former_Hitman
01-05-2004, 03:41 PM
I remember being at the games and everytime it seemed the Bison needed a little kickstart, Satter got the ball and broke it wide open. Still have some on tape I watch, and Tony was incredible to watch. However, I remember he did have a tendency to put the ball on the carpet. It didn't matter much when he played DII, because he always made up for it by bursting for a 60 yard score. *The last game I saw was a preseason game with the Giants when he mishandled a punt. It's harder to make up for turnovers in the NFL.....

Tony had a great opportunity to make the squad for the NY Giants, unfortunately he fumbled three times in the last preseason football game. In the league, there's very little room for error.

C-Student
01-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Making the NFL is much more than physcial ability. It is more intangible than anything. NDSU has had athletes that were 4.3-4.4 guys, 7 ft.+ high jumpers, 450lb bench pressers, etc.; however, making it takes more than that. When Phil H. came in, he was probably embarrassed to be in the weight room with some of the other, more experienced lifters; however, he turned out to be the most successful Bison in the NFL. He had MORE than physical ability. Malone was very good, be like my comment about Phillip Moore, there are hunderds of Rod Malone's available. It take more.

Former_Hitman
01-05-2004, 04:56 PM
Your right C-man,

However, if you run 4.3-4.4 you will get a look no matter what. After that, it's up to you making the team.

Just ask Jamel White from the Cleveland Browns, no scouts gave him a chance until he ran 4.3 at the snow bowl

KC7
01-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Craig is right about Tony. Tony Satter didn't have great top end speed, but was "the quickest " back I ever saw. He had great field vision and could make a even the best defenders look very bad.

I hope Rod Malone get's a shot. If you get your shot that's all you can ask. I do think it will take more than a fast forty and good verticle to make it. Don't forget that there is also politics and favoritism even in the NFL.