PDA

View Full Version : ND recruiting wars

ndsubison
01-05-2004, 07:08 PM
The other recruiting thread, with all the talk of Roehl vs Dressler, etc leads me to a question. First off, Roehl & Wurzbacher chose SU over und and Dressler chose und over SU. Fine. I know that we are only at the verbal commitment stage right now but does anybody have info on some of the other ND athletes who are currently "on the fence"? It's probably pointless because I would guess that NDSU will most likely land a majority of the "top" ND prospects in coming years now that we have more to offer to the cream of the crop. und will get a share of these top athletes as well, but my guess is not as many as they're used to. That leaves the rest of the in-state players in limbo as to where we can guess they'll play. Like I said, probably pointless but somewhat interesting nonetheless.

JBB
01-05-2004, 07:52 PM
SDSU is going to be looking at a lot of these athletes too. In a lot of situations thats going to leave und as third school out. When you look around the region, including und, theres a lot of DII teams that will be offering scholies.

ndsubison
01-05-2004, 08:00 PM
This is not intended as a cheap shot at SDSU but why would an elite (ND) athlete want to play for the Jacks when he could play for the Bison. I realize that an athlete also selects a school with academics in mind but this is not the point of my post. I am talking FB only. Based on tradition and facilities alone, you'd have to be nuts to choose SDSU over NDSU, assuming you were from ND as opposed to SD. While we're on the subject of SDSU, it's hard to smack them because they're all so damn nice! I like their fans/school and I can definately see a rivalry looming on the horizon. They have a better schedule (from what I've seen) than us for next year but other than that they can't touch us.

JBB
01-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Dont you think that our main competitor for most athletes will be SDSU? If DI is a good deal here it is at SDSU too.

ndsubison
01-05-2004, 08:18 PM
I could see maybe in BB (especially women's) but not so much in FB. Afterall, how many ND athletes have passed up SU & und to go play for SDSU or even USD? I cannot name one myself. I don't see that changing much. SU football is a much better deal than SDSU and I think most recruits, if not aware of that already, will see the obvious difference once they compare the two.

Bison_Kent
01-05-2004, 08:32 PM
The only one that I can think of was about 15 years ago with Jamestown's Wahl (sp?) I think playing QB for SDSU. *

I think he was more of a drop back passer and fit better in SDSU's offense rather then the Bison's option attack.

NDSU_grad
01-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Didn't Cory Wahl play for UND. I know he was from Jamestown and played for the suck in the early 90's (maybe late 80's). He was the quarterback there before Clay Wagner. I'm not sure if that's who you're thinking of or not.

Bison_Kent
01-05-2004, 10:11 PM
I believe it was Ted Wahl that played for SDSU in the mid to late 1980s. But I could be wrong.

JACKGUY
01-05-2004, 11:41 PM
We have been discussing on the Jack Board the very thing why some of South Dakota's better athletes have decided to attend either UND or NDSU rather than stay at home. I think in most instances in football it's because of the facilities. SDSU has a long way to go to upgrade Coughlin Stadium and build a Wellness Center. The training facilities at SDSU are attrocious. I think once those issues are addressed you will see fewer traitors heading for the north. Personally, I love the intimate outdoor setting of Coughlin and prefer it over the FargoDome. I do think we get a lot of the better Basketball players in the region that are not DI calibre for the same reasons NDSU and UND have dominated in football (Facilities and a winning tradition) I believe Frost is one of the best Basketball Facilities in DII and with the new scoreboards and new chair seats on the ends which is planned for this spring it will be a very nice DI facility. One South Dakota native womens basketball player that departed for NDSU that SDSU wanted was Lacey Johnson and that was more due to NDSU having the Major she sought.

89rabbit
01-05-2004, 11:47 PM
I believe it was Ted Wahl that played for SDSU in the mid to late 1980s. *But I could be wrong.

Bison_Kent,

You are right it was Ted Wahl.

ndsubison
01-05-2004, 11:51 PM
Bison_Kent,

You are right it was Ted Wahl.

Only one (confirmed) athlete in all these years of FB? That's not a very good average and it only reinforces my earlier point. I do realize that this statistic could change but I have my doubts. Best of luck to the Jacks in coming years, except when you play the BISON.

ndsubison
01-06-2004, 12:07 AM
Speaking of ND athletes, I have not heard where Alex Belquist (brother of NDSU receiver, Elliot) is going next year. I have heard that his main interest is BB and that he'd like to go to a school where he has a chance to pursue that interest. Ideally, he'd like to play FB AND BB but will give priority to BB. I doubt he'll be able to do both at SU. I am a New Rockford native so I'll keep my eyes & ears peeled for new info.

GFBisonFan
01-06-2004, 12:21 AM
I have heard from his dad that he is leaning toward NDSU, the DI label is definately attractive for him. No decision yet, but he is leaning our way. He is also quite impressed with the facilities.

Good to see another central ND native on the board, I am from Carrington myself.

ndsubison
01-06-2004, 12:57 AM
I have heard from his dad that he is leaning toward NDSU, the DI label is definately attractive for him. *No decision yet, but he is leaning our way. *He is also quite impressed with the facilities.

Good to see another central ND native on the board, I am from Carrington myself.

Carrington?! Ha Ha--it's been some time since I've done any cardinal smacking. Cards suck! Go Rockets! How's that?
;D

ndsubison
01-06-2004, 01:06 AM
GFBison--the Belquists are good folks indeed. Trivia: where did Elliot & Alex's father go to school?

Answer: und

That's right. At least he's seen the light and turned things around for his boys. I am good friends with Bob and we have an athletic history between us, although I am half his age.

roadwarrior
01-06-2004, 02:38 AM
George Ellis's press guide states that Elliot's parents both attended NDSU.

BisonWarrior
01-06-2004, 06:07 AM
GFBison,

Have you heard about what school Zach Harrington is leaning towards?

tony
01-06-2004, 05:46 PM

Carrington, huh? I couldn't spill a beer in college without getting at least two Carrington natives wet.

GFBisonFan
01-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Haven't heard about Zach yet, but I have heard that some family members are giving him a hard time and trying to get him to UND (they are alums). There are others in the family that are less overtly trying to get him NDSU's way. Not sure on this one, haven't heard much. My mother is good friends with the family and I will probe a bit.

I also thought that Bob was an SU alum.

Bisonguy
01-12-2004, 10:31 PM
teamsioux over on the siouxsports board said that Zach Harrington committed to NDSU. Not exactly a press release, so take it at face value.

GFBisonFan
01-12-2004, 11:33 PM
I was around town this weekend and asked around. Word is there is that he was going to visit for "an interview" in early feb and then commit. Wasn't sure what this was about. good to see him aboard