PDA

View Full Version : New O Coordinator

Bisonguy
01-13-2004, 12:02 AM
Coach Bohl was on the WDAY news tonight stating what he wanted in a replacement for Enos.

Basically, it was somebody that will run a West Coast offense, although they don't have to have experience with it. Similar offensive playcalling to the WCO is sufficient.

The second thing Bohl is looking for is DI experience, but he stated that it isn't necessary.

Any speculation on possible candidates?

BisonMav
01-13-2004, 12:06 AM
Turner Gill?

MinotBison
01-13-2004, 01:34 AM
I don' t know if he has any D1 background, but what about St. Cloud's O-coordinator?

Bison_Kent
01-13-2004, 01:54 AM
Definitely not Turner Gill but not that he isn't a good coach. He knows the option and not much more.

I think a DI experienced guy might be the best if there is anyone available.

NDSU_grad
01-13-2004, 03:33 AM
MinotBison,
You probably already know this, but St. Cloud's O-coordinator is Paul Rudolph, probably the 2nd greatest QB in Beaver (Minot State) history. I agree he's done a great job at St. Cloud, and I wouldn't mind if Bohl gave him a shot.

ndsubison
01-13-2004, 05:22 AM
How about Tom Sawyer from Winona State? I know he's the H.C. but doesn't he also call the plays for the O?

Bisonfan1234
01-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Would guess the former Nebraska O-coordinator and with him will be a dummy's guide to running the WCO.

NDSU_grad
01-13-2004, 05:00 PM
Would guess the former Nebraska O-coordinator and with him will be a dummy's guide to running the WCO.

I'm guessing Barney Cotton will become the O coordinator at Iowa State, as has been rumored.

Bisonfan1234
01-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Ok...how about this **LONG** shot: Mussman?

NCCfan
01-14-2004, 03:31 AM
Not as far fetched as you might think. Mussman played at Iowa State University while Burrows was an Assistant.

Bisonfan1234
01-14-2004, 03:42 AM
Mussman is an Oline coach, though i suppose he could work with any of the offensive personel.

NCCfan
01-14-2004, 04:14 AM
I hear that he meets with the Qb's every day and does technique work with them during the off-season. I look at the Qb's hes' been a part of developing . . . Pass, Hebgen, Witt, Stein, Klosterman, Bowenkamp. A very impressive group.

Bisonguy
01-14-2004, 04:22 AM
I wonder how much Mussman makes at UND? Anyone know what the Duluth head coach spot he applied for pays? I would venture to say he could make more as the OC at NDSU than he is making up north. (Last I heard, Lennon only made 80,000- Enos made 64,000 last year)

D
01-14-2004, 04:31 AM
2 things:

1)I am getting the top assistant hockey coach and football coordiantor's salaries mixed up at the moment, but $52,000 and $37,000 or there abouts are the numbers and he gets roughly one or the other.

2)From everything I know and from hearing him talk before it's wasted space talking about him as a candidate as he isn't exactly fond of the Bison.

Bisonguy
01-14-2004, 04:42 AM
D,

If the OC at UND only makes 37,000 that's pretty bad. I would guess the hockey assistants make more, as DB makes a LOT more than Lennon. For reference, only one NDSU coach makes less than 37,000.

Three reasons why Mussman probably won't be considered:

1) He doesn't run a WCO.

2) No DI coaching experience

3) He's looking for a head coaching spot, obviously because he is underpaid.

D
01-14-2004, 04:53 AM
I've been curious for almost a year why Bohl chose the West Coast offense for NDSU? Not that anyone really knows why, but it is odd when his past coaching stops are considered how Rice, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and NDSU were all running the ball at a rate of 65%+ and 3 of those 4 were option teams. Surprising.

NCCfan
01-14-2004, 05:06 AM
I'm curious, what type of Offense does Mussman run? I thought the WCO was predicated on the short passing game. Underneath routes that are basically run plays with the chance to go the distance if teams do not tackle well.

If he only makes $37,000, why wouldn't he want to be a part of the Bison staff?

Bisonguy
01-14-2004, 05:08 AM
Possibly his experience on the defensive side of the ball led to his offensive scheme selection. A properly executed WCO is hard to stop. There's a lot more, pardon the pun, "options" with the WCO. ;D

Bisonguy
01-14-2004, 05:12 AM
Mussman's O isn't really a WCO as evidenced by the lack of TE receptions, throwing longer passes, and lack of FB receptions. There are other key differences as well.

mojobison
01-14-2004, 05:29 AM
If he only makes $37,000, why wouldn't he want to be a part of the Bison staff?

Haven't you ever read the Grand Forks Herald? NDSU is PURE EVIL. Bwahahahaha!

mojobison
01-14-2004, 05:39 AM
How about Jim Svoboda from NW Missouri State?

BisonMav
01-14-2004, 01:03 PM
I would be looking for someone with the credentials of a Dan Enos. Having the Division I experience on the coaching staff really was the difference in the Montana game.

somebison
01-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Looks as if we may be losing another coach as it is rumored that Jeffrey McInery (D-line coach) may be leaving for a position at Georgia Tech

GiantBison12
01-15-2004, 01:22 AM
Coach Bohl sould get in touch with Ron Erhardt. He's got bison tradition, 2-time super bowl winning O-coordinator with the football Giants, and lost I believe with the Steelers, but knows how to run the ball, and don't forget NFL Head Coach. Unfortunately, he is probably into his 70's enjoying retirment. The guy has probably forgotten more about football than our next o-coordinator will know.

mojobison
01-15-2004, 01:46 AM
If Jeff McInerney ends up leaving, there is a retired NFL d-lineman in the neighborhood with Bison connections...

SDSUFAN
01-15-2004, 01:54 AM
Coach Bohl sould get in touch with Ron Erhardt. *He's got bison tradition, 2-time super bowl winning O-coordinator with the football Giants, and lost I believe with the Steelers, but knows how to run the ball, and don't forget NFL Head Coach. *Unfortunately, he is probably into his 70's enjoying retirment. *The guy has probably forgotten more about football than our next o-coordinator will know. *

There is no doubt Ron Erhart was an excellent coach, but the man was at least 40 something when coached the Bison in the 1970's and he would now have to be in the late 60's or early 70's. The Good Lord made only one John Galardi, St John's coach, but I would question whether Coach Erhardt would be up to being even a consulting coach. *I agree with the approximate age of Erhart and that he *has to be enjoying retirement somewhere. He probably is a whiz at shuffle board and crossword puzzles by now. Just my take, but I am SDSU fan so what would I know. ;D

NDSU_grad
01-15-2004, 03:21 AM
If Jeff McInerney ends up leaving, there is a retired NFL d-lineman in the neighborhood with Bison connections...

Doesn't it get you excited to even think about the prospect of seeing Phil Hansen roaming the Bison sidelines. And could you imagine a 12 year NFL veteran going into some high school senior's house on a recruiting visit?

Bisonfan1234
01-15-2004, 05:10 AM
Doesn't it get you excited to even think about the prospect of seeing Phil Hansen roaming the Bison sidelines. *And could you imagine a 12 year NFL veteran going into some high school senior's house on a recruiting visit? *

Actually i wouldn't be suprised if he ends up on ESPN or Fox Sports, i've heard he calls a good game.

IowaBison
01-15-2004, 05:19 AM
Not that good of one.

Maybe he work for ESPN/FOX when they start doing Bison games?