PDA

View Full Version : Cactus Bowl

Flintstone
01-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Has anybody heard any results or stats from the Cactus Bowl?

somebison
01-12-2004, 07:25 PM
http://www.caller.com/ccct/local_sports/article/0,1641,CCCT_878_2566978,00.html

Flintstone
01-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks.

JBB
01-12-2004, 11:12 PM
It doesnt look like Malone had a big day and there are no stats for Weist. Heckendorf went 0-6 if Im reading it right with a rushing TD! Strange game. Malone avgd 1 yd per carry.

6,500 was a pretty good crowd. It probably didnt draw that many in Fargo.

I was thinking about the Harlon Hill and Cactus Bowl. Its too bad our players cant compete for these awards. There must be a similar award and an all star game in DI-AA?

somebison
01-12-2004, 11:29 PM
IAA Harlon Hill = Walter Payton Award

I think for the next few years our players can go to the cactus bowl as there were a few n colo and davis players on the roster.. I don't think there is a IAA-specific all-star game but there will be greater oppurtunities for the hula bowl etc.

Bisonguy
01-12-2004, 11:43 PM
The Walter Payton Award is given to the best offensive player in I-AA

The Buck Buchanan Award is given to the best defensive player in I-AA.

The Eddie Robinson Award is given to the best coach in I-AA.

There was supposed to be a I-AA all-star game this year, sponsored by CSTV or TFN, but it was cancelled. Oh well, those in I-AA have better opportunities to be in other all-star games that are predominantly DI because of the added media coverage.

BisonInTexas
01-13-2004, 01:27 AM
It doesnt look like Malone had a big day and there are no stats for Weist. *Heckendorf went 0-6 if Im reading it right with a rushing TD! *Strange game. *Malone avgd 1 yd per carry.

6,500 was a pretty good crowd. *It probably didnt draw that many in Fargo.

I was thinking about the Harlon Hill and Cactus Bowl. *Its too bad our players cant compete for these awards. *There must be a similar award and an all star game in DI-AA?

I saw part of the game on Fox Sports SW on Friday night. *I quit watching part way through the first half, at which the game was pretty sloppy and not much was happening for either side. *The offense the West was running was a spread offense, usually with 4 wide receivers and a single back. *Malone was rotating with the other backs, but there wasn't a lot of rushing going on, and run blocking wasn't exactly a premium. *Because of the single back sets and basically rotating out every play, not many of the running backs got a lot of touches, or got the opportunity to get into the flow of the game. *It wasn't a great situation for Malone to showcase his talents, IMO.

However, because both teams were running a pro-type spread offense, the defenses were in the nickel a lot, so Sheppard got a ton of reps for the portion of the game that I saw. *He looked pretty good out there. *

Craig

P.S. I am proud to report that neither Sheppard or Malone disgraced the Green and Gold by pasting other teams logos all over their helmets as is the fashion in all-star games. *They displayed the Bison logo in its pristine glory and were about the only ones on either side to not have 15 logos on their helmets.

ndsubison
01-13-2004, 05:26 AM
I've always disliked when players plaster other teams' logos on their helmets. If you want stickers from some players/teams you admire go ahead and put them in a scrapbook. Anywhere but on your helmet. I'm glad to see our boys showing their BISON Pride.

Jav_Fan
01-19-2004, 03:26 PM
6,500 was a pretty good crowd. *It probably didnt draw that many in Fargo.

I was thinking about the Harlon Hill and Cactus Bowl. *Its too bad our players cant compete for these awards. *There must be a similar award and an all star game in DI-AA?

The crowd this year was to lowest since the game moved down here, but the event remains an unqualified success. It is great to meet these fine athletes and fans from all over the country and be able to share some Texas hospitality and our "winter" weather.

As far as a Harlon Hill-type award, I-AA has the Walter Payton award. Not sure about an all-star game though.