PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on recruiting

tony
02-05-2004, 03:16 PM
JD Trainer at Bison Insider already said about everything I could think of to do with recruiting:

BI recruiting report (http://bisonrule.tripod.com/bisoninsider/id11.html)

This could be a very good class but you can't look at it and say, "Wow! This is the best one ever," - at least not until we see them play.

I really think the playoff eligibility thing hurt this year but it will be a lot less effective next year.

The good news is that NCC schools are helping NDSU market itself simply by not scheduling them. What better way is there to tell recruits that NDSU is on an entirely different level.

WYOBISONMAN
02-05-2004, 05:24 PM
I would agree with that. The interesting thing about the playoff elgibility issue is why did it not hurt us last year? Last year was a year that made you say WOW!

BisonMav
02-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Isn't this years class playoff eligible if they redshirt. I thought last year counted as the first year of the five year tansition period.

Bisonfan1
02-05-2004, 07:08 PM
That is what I was lead to believe BisonMav, From the looks of it, pretty good recruiting class, Make it through 2004 and all down hill. Spring game cant happen soon enough.

roadwarrior
02-05-2004, 09:53 PM
2004-05 is the first year of the transition to DI. The current year we are in D2, with the intention to begin the move next season.

Bisonguy
02-05-2004, 10:03 PM
I could swear that this current year is defined as NDSU's "Exploratory Year", and counts as the first year of five in reclassification.

Bison_Kent
02-05-2004, 10:25 PM
2003-2004 is the first year of the five year waiting period to go to full I-AA. The first year a school is in its exploritory year and has the option of moving ahead with the process or moving back to the old division. In the exploritory year, the school retains its current division membership. The second year (2004-2005) is when the school actuals commits to the higher division.

So if any or all of this year's class is redshirted, those that do will be playoff eligible in their senior seasons as it will be NDSU's first year to be eligible.

BisonWarrior
02-05-2004, 11:03 PM
This is if they hold to the full 5 years. Is there not some discussion about it being less that 5 and could be as few a 2 years?

WYOBISONMAN
02-05-2004, 11:06 PM
I have heard of a potential for reduction of the time for BB to be on probation, but not FB.

Bisonguy
02-05-2004, 11:22 PM
I have heard of a potential for reduction of the time for BB to be on probation, but not FB.

It's all part of NCAA proposal 2003-13. Here's the link-http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/champ_cabinet/2003/September_Meeting_Materials/2003-13.htm

I'm not into legal mumbo jumbo, but I think that it would only apply to established conferences (i.e. the GWC wouldn't be eligible)

Bisonguy
02-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Why is this thread so wide?

tony
02-05-2004, 11:34 PM
I've added a link to the NCAA DI Manual. I tried finding the pertinent information and it made my head hurt. The provisional period they talk about is seven years long with the first year being exploratory.

UC Davis did a really good job setting out the road map to DI. *

UC Davis explanation of the five-year process (http://ucdavisaggies.ocsn.com/genrel/011003aaa.html) (look towards the bottom)

There is no legislation proposed for football, wrestling, track, et al at the moment but there's always hope that the NCAA will change the wait on a sport by sport basis.

Bisonguy
02-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Good to see NDSU will be a DI opponent for DI schools in 2005-2006.

WYOBISONMAN
02-05-2004, 11:39 PM
Agreed on that point. *I was afraid we were going to count as a D2 against D1 for the entire period.....Good News indeed.

silkamilkamonico
02-05-2004, 11:41 PM
It's all part of NCAA proposal 2003-13. Here's the link-http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/champ_cabinet/2003/September_Meeting_Materials/2003-13.htm

I'm not into legal mumbo jumbo, but I think that it would only apply to established conferences (i.e. the GWC wouldn't be eligible)

~what do you mean when you say the GWC wont be eligible....why would NDSU join a conference that wouldnt be eligible for the playoffs....man all this talk about conference's and post season is giving me a headache...I just dont understand it at all...

D
02-05-2004, 11:54 PM
I have a couple of recruiting questions/comments.
I was surprised that NDSU didn't get the CB needed. The kid from FL is pretty small and I'd be inclined to think he isn't going to play a lot next year. That leads me to think that the coaching staff is going to bring in some late JUCO guys in the summer. They only signed 15, I doubt all got full rides, and will be adding 16-18 scholarships from the sounds of it. There has to be at least 8 schollies opening up. So there has to be at least 10 rides they are sitting on for scholarship upgrades for current players and JUCO kids late. Has anyone heard that JUCO kids will be brought in late like last year? The way signings have shaped up I'd think that has to be the case.

NDSU_grad
02-06-2004, 02:59 AM
There were 12 full rides among the 15 players. I don't know exactly what the three others got. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a few more juco's sign over the summer, but we'll have to see.

Bisonguy
02-06-2004, 03:16 AM
silk,

There's something in the link I provided about "The post-season ineligibility period would be reduced to two years, provided the school is a member of a conference that contains a minimum of six core members that have actively participated in DI athletics for a minimum of five years"or something like that. Somebody else read it and figure out what they're talking about. I had a 56 hour technical training class last week, and have been mumbling acronyms in my sleep. I am in no condition to read legal mumbo jumbo for at least another week.

Bisonguy
02-06-2004, 03:28 AM
D,

Bohl said that they may bring in some late JUCO's, but it depends on who is available. He isn't going to bring in any other JUCO's unless they will be able to contribute and be productive. As the others have stated, 12 of the recruits received full rides, and some returning players will have their scholarship $$$ increased.

Speaking of CB's, anybody know if Willie Byrd is still on the team? I know Frank Irby parted ways with NDSU, but Byrd is still listed on the roster. Irby's name was taken off the website nearly immediately after he left but Byrd's name has stayed on the roster. ???

GoAgs
02-06-2004, 04:37 AM
What is the Bison take on splitting money between current players and this years recruiting class? You guys gave out 12 full rides to 15 players which is a large chunk of your scholarship budget. It is a difficult issue because you don't want your starters resenting freshman because they get more scholarship $$ just to redshirt. In the Davis paper tonight it was reported that UCD is up to 29 full rides and with additional money being split with recruits and returnees.

Bisonguy
02-06-2004, 04:53 AM
GoAgs,

I don't think much of it. The coaching staff has stated they want to get up to 63 scholies as quick as possible, and I believe that they have some sort of logic behind their actions. Scheduling a regional I-A (Minnesota, Iowa State, or Kansas State) is also a priority, so they want to average 60 scholies over three years as soon as possible- I know, you don't have to average 60 scholies over 3 years to play a I-A, but the game will only count as bowl eligible for the I-A opponent if the I-AA team averages 60 scholies over 3 years. The above mentioned schools want as many W's as possible for a decent bowl game.

MN_BISONS
02-06-2004, 04:54 PM
The Star Tribune had a pretty good list of all area schools and the MN kids they signed. What was missing from that list was anyone from 5-A State champions Lakeville, other than one OL I saw. I can't remember the name of the really good WR they had, but he wasn't listed and neither was Brylee Calendar who was a great RB. Does anyone know if either of these two signed with anyone?

D
02-06-2004, 05:00 PM
The Star Tribune had a pretty good list of all area schools and the MN kids they signed. *What was missing from that list was anyone from 5-A State champions Lakeville, other than one OL I saw. *I can't remember the name of the really good WR they had, but he wasn't listed and neither was Brylee Calendar who was a great RB. *Does anyone know if either of these two signed with anyone? *

Neither signed yet. Calendar has to go JUCO, I'd guess Science or Rochester, and Flury is being asked to walk-om by the Gophs, has a visit soon at Truman St where the CSP coach took the head job. They are both excellent players, Flury's size hurts him though.

BisonBizzo
02-06-2004, 10:29 PM
Calendar has to go JUCO

D, why does he have to go JUCO? Is he the one that missed his junior year because of a past troubled habit? This last fall a FSN/cities program interviewed and had a segment about a Lakeville running back getting off the J and coming back to play. Apparently he had a bad habit, admitted to it, and cleaned himself up. Does the NCAA have some criteria against this? Just Curious, more on the NCAA's admittance then what the kid did...

D
02-06-2004, 10:44 PM
D, why does he have to go JUCO? *Is he the one that missed his junior year because of a past troubled habit? *This last fall a FSN/cities program interviewed and had a segment about a Lakeville running back getting off the J and coming back to play. *Apparently he had a bad habit, admitted to it, and cleaned himself up. *Does the NCAA have some criteria against this? *Just Curious, more on the NCAA's admittance then what the kid did...

That would be him. The STrib did a nice article on him in November I believe, and he has turned his life around. However, his grades were terrible his FR, SO, and part of his JR year. There was mention in the article of him getting a B- average, which it said was a huge improvement. As a college athlete, you have to have passed all of your core HS courses, and have a satisfactory ACT score (which is either 17 or 18) in order to compete as a FR. However, if you satisfy one or the other you can sign a DI LOI, but you have to sit out your FR year and lose that year of eligability (which you can gain back if you graduate within 4 years). That is called being a partial qualifier. Callendar has a shot at being a partial qualifier. But, UM coach Glen Mason said at his recruit announcement that there is a RB out there that they are waiting on to see if he can be a partial or full qualifier, and if that person does qualify they are going to give him a scholarship. Everyone believes he was talking about Callander. I just read earlier today that if he goes JUCO, it looks like Rochester because the coaching staff there is great. He is a great player, runs a 4.4 according to his coach.