PDA

View Full Version : Old Time Football Stories

BisonMav
02-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Found this on the internet, I assume FHS was the old Fargo Central High School. *The UND nickname is funny.

MIDGETS IN THE BISON WORLD
By Norman Berg Jones, '22, Shelbyville, Indiana
My memories of athletes from FHS include those of football stars Claudie Miller and Cy Arnold. One incident I recall quite often is the time Claudie, when playing for the Bison at NDAC (NDSU now), pulled a big play against the Sioux from the University (we called it "Upstate Normal School" in those days).

The University made the opening kickoff directly to Claudie who promptly fumbled the ball and dropped it. When he saw the whole Sioux team converging on him, he quickly picked up the football, veered sharply to his left and outran the whole bunch of would-be tacklers. Yes, sir, Claudie scored the first touchdown of the game!

The memory of that play is crystal clear in my mind, but I can't remember who won the game that beautiful autumn day in Grand Forks. Or was it raining? Perhaps someone can supply the answer to both items.

NDSU_grad
02-12-2004, 12:53 AM
I have decided to officially adopt "Upstate Normal School" as the official moniker for the liberal arts college of ND. At Iowa State, alot of fans call U of I EIU (Eastern Iowa University).

NDSU71UND74
02-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Then you would be interested in the old name for the Northern Iowa Panthers, ISTC (Iowa State Teachers College).

NDSU_grad
02-13-2004, 05:35 PM
In Iowa, you used to have the State University of Iowa (U of I), Iowa State College (ISU) and, as you mentioned Iowa State Teachers' College (UNI). A little confusing; I can't remember when they went to the current system.

BisonInTexas
02-13-2004, 09:18 PM
Didn't Northern Iowa used to be named State College of Iowa? I seem to recall seeing that in Kolpack's book. They were a great rival of NDSU in the early Mudra years.

Craig

BisonInTexas
02-13-2004, 09:22 PM
It seems that we are all correct.

http://www.unialum.org/proserv/uninews/april01.html

UNI was founded in 1876 as the Iowa State Normal School. The name has been changed three times since then: to the Iowa State Teachers College in 1909, the State College of Iowa in 1961, and the University of Northern Iowa in 1967.