PDA

View Full Version : Western Illinois possibly being added to schedule

Bison_Kent
02-15-2004, 01:13 AM
I have talked to the Western Illinois AD and he told me that it is up to NDSU whether or not they play this upcoming season. He did not indicate if it would be home or away. I would imagine that W. Illinois wants it as a home game.

Western Illinois is a team that lost in the second round of the playoffs this year to Colgate after beating Montana in the opening round.

I think we need to exceed a little patience on the schedule for next season.

Bisonguy
02-15-2004, 01:21 AM
According to the AFCA site, WIU wants to travel for a home/home in 2004.

If WIU is on the scedule, wow, that's a tough season with only seven games. I say Gene better schedule some NSIC schools to fill out the schedule.

bisononce
02-15-2004, 05:39 AM
;D "Wants to travel for a home/ home in 2004." What?

Bisonguy
02-15-2004, 05:46 AM
This straight from the AFCA site:

Updated: 12-16-03
Western Illinois University
Open Dates
2004: 9/25 Home/home with I-AA. Will travel in 2004.

I'm guessing that means WIU wants to start the home and home series on the road, with the other game (2005 or 2006) at their place.

ralph
02-15-2004, 06:04 AM
Bison show no fear... bring on WIU...

Bisonguy
02-15-2004, 06:22 AM
I wonder what the schedule would have looked like if NDSU did not beat Montana. Gene Taylor said most of the schools he was talking to wouldn't return his calls after that (Georgia Southern being one of them). I'm glad that NDSU will be playing a good amount of I-AA's. Anybody hear anything about Montana State or any other possibilities?

roadwarrior
02-15-2004, 08:08 AM
NDSU is continuing talks with several DI-AA teams for games in 2004. Three of them are from the Big Sky. I thought the Forum had reported that Western Ill was looking for a home game in 04 and travel in 05.

somebison
02-15-2004, 01:45 PM
from the forum

For instance, Taylor said Western Illinois athletic director Tim Van Alstine called him Tuesday and offered a home-and-home contract to play the Leathernecks. The one issue holding Taylor up is the timing: Western Illinois wants a home game next year and will travel to Fargo in 2005.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=48492

JBB
02-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Western Ill. has also signed on to play Nebraska, thats not UNO. If we get them, and I hope we do, I hope its the following week.

It looks to me that NDSU is not alone in the scheduling problem. Several top D2 programs are in the same boat.

Texas_Jacks_Fan
02-15-2004, 03:45 PM
Last year WIU went to Baton Rouge to play Natl. Champs LSU. They did pretty well for most of the game but LSU wore them down in the forth qtr. but LSU wore EVERYONE in the SEC down too. That would be a great addition to your schedule.

TC.Bison
02-15-2004, 04:35 PM
What top D2 school are having trouble? Do you think they'll schedule us in Fargo for this year?

JBB
02-15-2004, 04:44 PM
There is a thread *on D2football.com. *It looked like NWMSU is looking at 3 home games right now, GVSU is at 3 or 4 and a couple of others piped up. *I really doubt teams needing home games are going to travel to NDSU, but a nice guarantee might lure them, who knows? *GVSU would be a great game.

NDSU is the greatest D2 football program in D2 history. Wouldnt it be great if NDSU started a bowl game where the D2 national champs came to Fargo every year for the opener? *Going out the front door we could put up a great guarantee, coming in the back we could get TV and sponsorship dollars. *Just an idea?

IowaBison
02-15-2004, 06:22 PM
I think a game against the Leathernecks would be great. It would be within traveling distance for those of us moved to the east/south of the old NCC stomping grounds. It would give us recognition to other Gateway competitors especially Northern Iowa who I also look forward to playing in the next few years.

Who cares if we are forced to schedule teams we normally wouldn't have played as D2, at least it wouldn't be our choice to play crap teams unlike that one team we used to play...

GiantBison12
02-16-2004, 01:49 PM
What a great game hopw it works out in Fargo. I say with no playoffs on the horizon Lets make the schedule(sp) as tough as possible . No patsies. Lets see what we are made of right off the bat. Plus I think that it would only help us for the up coming years.

GO BISON!!!