2004 Heatland Pacific Conference standings:

NDSU 6-0
UCD 4-2
UNC 3-3
SDSU 3-3
Southern Utah 3-3
Cal Poly 1-5
Saint Mary's 1-5

Predicting a Saint Mary's shocker over UNC.

updm002
02-24-2004, 02:34 PM
NO prediction as to how this league will work out but was wondering a couple of things.
1. I suspect the Big Sky issue must be dead bc I doubt those schools would consider a league with SDSU/NDSU if they had a chance to get into that league. Let's face it - if those leagues came calling we are there yesterday and if they only accept one school then it would be every man for himself and NDSU would gladly leave our "partner" SDSU in Brookings crying over what happened to our partnership?
2. Do think it will be fun to play fb with 63 scholarships versus 36. Will be a better brand of fb. Not sure that the tradeoff of incredibly higher travel expenses and then funding an extra 27 fb scholarships (that have to matched on the girl's side) will be worth the marginally better fb you will see at that level. That will be about 600k a year extra that has to be generated for scholarships alone. Is it worth it to see a marginally better brand of fb without the regional rivalries? I guess the answer to that is down the road. But will miss seeing a lot of interesting road games bc it is not cheap to get to San Luis Obispo, etc from Fargo.
3. Finally everything I have read seems to indicate that NDSU can afford this move if only barely but that SDSU doesn't have the money to do it but is rather winging it. I know that Fred Olien and the eternal optimist Pres MIller says differently but it does appear that they don't have the money necessary to fund a successful transition to D1. Maybe there are counting on the good folk of SD to help fund this transition down the road. I hope NDSU does have the necessary money to do it well. BC if you are going to do a half assed job of transitioning then save your money/effort and stay put.

Bisonfan1234
02-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Well they must have enough money to pay for airplans, hotels, and food for 3 trips to california!

JBB
02-24-2004, 04:16 PM
I doubt the BSC option is dead. The new conference has already addressed the issue of the Dakota schools leaving if a better conference opportunity arises.

Travel costs are already sunk. The only thing youre looking at is the cost difference between an NCC schedule and a DI-AA schedule. With the new D2 regions travel for NCC teams for regional games is going to take them across the northern half of the country.

We learned that in D2 you cant sit at home Your going to have to do home/homes. The problem of course is the draw on your end. How many seats can you sell for central washington? Given my choice Ill take a home home with a DI-AA program any day. Your bound to attract more dollars when the games come to fargo than you will with a D2 game.

Take your pick. Pay travel costs to play in D2 or move up and get some return. NCC schools are going to end up with DI travel budgets and D2 rewards. Ask Davis, as a D2 independent they traveled all over the country. Its not a good deal at all.

I think GVSU is the next D2 program to move. NDSU has to beat UNC or UCD to win the conference. If they only win one of those they will need some help.

WYOBISONMAN
02-24-2004, 05:46 PM
I agree with JBB, the BSC option is very much alive. The fact that NDSU is moving to the new conference in FB really puts some pressure on the BSC to look at expansion and possibly do some inviting before the quality teams like NDSU and SDSU get entrenched in the new conference. In reality, NDSU and SDSU are the best shot for the BSC expanding.

Bisonfan1234
02-24-2004, 06:37 PM
Keep dreaming wyo...

somehow you've built it in your mind that the Big Sky is SUDDENLY going to change everything and say "OH! How stupid of us! NDSU and SDSU are the best teams for expansion!".

They want Idaho and San Jose State, ok?

Just get over it already.

I think i shall call your symptoms "the big sky complex".

WYOBISONMAN
02-24-2004, 06:42 PM
Time will tell.....

Answer_Man
02-24-2004, 07:13 PM
I don't think the Big Sky issue is dead either, just barely breathing. The BSC still remains the ultimate solution for the Bison conference woes so I wouldn't call someone's hope for this solution the 'big sky complex'. Nothing wrong with 'shooting for the sky'.

Bisonfan1234
02-24-2004, 09:21 PM
You too show symptoms of the "big sky complex", you think that the Big Sky is the end all be all for NDSU.

Fellas...the Big Sky is a nice conference...but it shouldn't even be our goal.

If you wanna aim high...the Gateway (with 4 teams in the D1AA tourny last year) and MVC (with bball in the big dance every year) should be where we set out sights.

WYOBISONMAN
02-24-2004, 10:06 PM
I still say you need to venture out of Minnesota once in a while.....you know there is a big world out there.... ;)

Tuk
02-24-2004, 10:37 PM
*The BSC still remains the ultimate solution for the Bison conference woes so I wouldn't .....
The Bison are having conference "woes"? *I could have sworn reading on the front page of the Forum a new conference forming and possibly being announced this week. *How is that a "woe"?

This is my take on the Big Sky.....
-the Big Sky has a few choices, and NDSU/SDSU combo would be nice but to be honest who really knows, cares, or follows anything dealing with the Dakotas outside of the immediate reach of the Northern Plains. *People generally recognize/recall Idaho and San Jose State more so than South Dakota State and North Dakota State at this juncture in college football (sorry but it is true). *Who do you side with? *The popular people or the ones who are new on the block?
-Demographically speaking, San Jose and Idaho fit better in their plans and asperations. Idaho is closer to the other schools in the conference. San Jose offers the best possible venue to attract crowds. Fargo and Brookings just can't match those pluses.
-With NDSU/SDSU and the others forming a new conference, the focus of the Big Sky's future expansion has been narrowed somewhat right now. *They can now focus more on the above without offending their backup options (NDSU/SDSU)

The Big Sky would be nice, but I don't foresee the conference expanding for at least a few more years or until the fate of Idaho is finally decided....

Bisonfan1234
02-24-2004, 11:04 PM
I still *say you need to venture out of Minnesota once in a while.....you know there is a big world out there.... ;)

yes...including iowa, illinois, and indiana.

BisonInTexas
02-25-2004, 12:45 AM
The Bison are having conference "woes"? *I could have sworn reading on the front page of the Forum a new conference forming and possibly being announced this week. *How is that a "woe"?

This is my take on the Big Sky.....
-the Big Sky has a few choices, and NDSU/SDSU combo would be nice but to be honest who really knows, cares, or follows anything dealing with the Dakotas outside of the immediate reach of the Northern Plains. *People generally recognize/recall Idaho and San Jose State more so than South Dakota State and North Dakota State at this juncture in college football (sorry but it is true). *Who do you side with? *The popular people or the ones who are new on the block?
-Demographically speaking, San Jose and Idaho fit better in their plans and asperations. *Idaho is closer to the other schools in the conference. *San Jose offers the best possible venue to attract crowds. *Fargo and Brookings just can't match those pluses.
-With NDSU/SDSU and the others forming a new conference, the focus of the Big Sky's future expansion has been narrowed somewhat right now. *They can now focus more on the above without offending their backup options (NDSU/SDSU)

The Big Sky would be nice, but I don't foresee the conference expanding for at least a few more years or until the fate of Idaho is finally decided....

It doesn't matter if the BSC wants Idaho and San Jose State if those schools aren't willing to move down and join the conference. When did San Jose St. become a prospective member for the BSC, other than in 1234's ramblings? It has been reported that San Jose State would drop the football program rather than move down.

Idaho is in the same boat - they aren't moving back down without a fight. They are already working out "home" schedules to make sure that they meet the attendance guidelines. It will be years before they are forced to move down and if I recall correctly there is proposed legislation that actually makes it easier to become DIA members. If the BSC wants to wait for the Vandals, they are going to be waiting for a while.

Meanwhile, Sacramento State is evaluating its conference affiliations as well. If they bolt, the BSC is 2 teams away from their preferred 9 team conference (yes it is true 1234, some conferences actually prefer 9 teams for scheduling!). Hmm, who could they pick up to fill out the conference?

Craig

Trainer
02-25-2004, 12:50 AM
Tuk, I think Rich was talking about the 'woes' of no conference for basketball, volleyball, etc..... I do believe he knows there is a new football conference. At least I hope so....

Bisonfan1234
02-25-2004, 03:55 AM
It doesn't matter if the BSC wants Idaho and San Jose State if those schools aren't willing to move down and join the conference. *When did San Jose St. become a prospective member for the BSC, other than in 1234's ramblings? *It has been reported that San Jose State would drop the football program rather than move down.

Idaho is in the same boat - they aren't moving back down without a fight. *They are already working out "home" schedules to make sure that they meet the attendance guidelines. *It will be years before they are forced to move down and if I recall correctly there is proposed legislation that actually makes it easier to become DIA members. *If the BSC wants to wait for the Vandals, they are going to be waiting for a while.

Meanwhile, Sacramento State is evaluating its conference affiliations as well. If they bolt, the BSC is 2 teams away from their preferred 9 team conference (yes it is true 1234, some conferences actually prefer 9 teams for scheduling!). *Hmm, who could they pick up to fill out the conference?

Craig

All i can say is where? Where does it say that SJSU and Idaho would rather drop than move down??? That seems highly unlikely as it is probably their only source of profit in the athletic department.

Where does it say that they want 9? I've seen where it says they want to go to 10.

WYOBISONMAN
02-25-2004, 06:22 AM
Craig....I think you are on the money. *The ramblings of 1234 are totally incoherent. Jesus, 1234 can just make your head ache at times......... :P

Tuk
02-25-2004, 08:15 AM
I shouldn't have been so focused just on Idaho and San Jose, but they were the schools that were being discussed. Irregardless of what the school is, I believe that NDSU and SDSU just don't fit into the general planning of the BSC when/if it decides to expand. I think the BSC would love to get someone in the Rockies and west instead of on the Plains.

Bisonfan1234
02-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Compltely right Tuk.