PDA

View Full Version : Best Plays

tony
02-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Picking a favorite Bison player is impossible for me. It's like picking a favorite niece or nephew...heck, it's harder than that because I can't use the old "First-one-to-bring me-a-beer-and-the-television-remote" tiebreaker when picking players.

Anyway, what are your favorite plays of all time?

The ones I remember right off the top of my head are:

- The Pitch
- Tony Satter's long TD run against Portland State in the 1988 championship.
- Tony Satter's long TD run against Indiana (PA) in the 1990 championship game.
- Aaron Pederson running down West Georgia's all-American kick returner in Babich's first game as a coach.

From this year, all I can come up with right now is:

- The fake kick against Montana with the pass from Malone to Wieser for the TD.
- The 70-yard fumble return by Mike Sheppard against SDSU.

Bisonguy
02-20-2004, 10:32 PM
From this year:

Malone's TD scamper where nearly every Augie defender put a hit on Rod and he had two Augie defenders on his back for the last ten yards.

Defensively, I think it was Gorman(?), that put a NFL highlight film hit on a WR at Augie. He walked off with a stinger, but it was a huge hit.

Actually, seeing the opposing teams' QBs get sacked was a pretty cool sight.

C-Student
02-20-2004, 11:57 PM
Satter's TD run in 1988 in the Millersville game, when he pointed his finger in the direction of the Millersville bench.....it was subtle, but basically said, "it's over".

BisonMav
02-21-2004, 12:13 AM
How about the other Pitch. 1984 Morningside Game. Bentrim gained about 10 yeads, pitched to Stacy Robinson at the 40 yard line, and Stacy ran in for the TD.

Both Gorman's Int return and Sheppards Fumble returns were great this year.

WYOBISONMAN
02-21-2004, 05:36 AM
Actually, My favorite play was when the AGRs put a guy in a wheel chair during the 1979 Homecoming game and hid a keg between his legs. Then they had the campus cops help carry him up into the student section.....great play!

SiouxperMan
02-21-2004, 05:04 PM
Malone's run on 4th & 1 in OT at the Alerus was awesome. ;D

mojobison
02-21-2004, 06:28 PM
One of the best performances in a game was when NDSU went to UND for a playoff game and Kevin Feeney ran for four TDs and completed all but one of his passes.

I forget what the score was, maybe StiouxporMan remembers :)

Now that I think of it, he better remember those Bison games because if Mesa State, Ferris State, Central Washington, and Delta State are the most exciting games UND can come up with, it's going to be a long and boring descent to the NAIA level for the Weepy Girls from Sue U.

bisonaudit
02-21-2004, 06:32 PM
'Bob's Got Balls!'

On side kick to start the 2nd half @ Memorial Stadium.

wfduck
02-21-2004, 07:05 PM
Actually, My favorite play was when the AGRs put a guy in a wheel chair during the 1979 Homecoming game and hid a keg between his legs. *Then they had the campus cops help carry him up into the student section.....great play!

far and away the GREATEST team effort in Bison history. how about the chant "the band....the band...the NDSU band there aint no F#$%in room so make the band F$%^in stand"

iamabison
02-23-2004, 02:11 AM
I think it was the '95 homecoming game against UNC...Bison down by 4, 5, or 6-ish with 90 seconds left....Kevin Feeney hits Kelly Artz (i think that was his name) on a quick slant, 90 yards later, Artz is in the endzone and bison are on top...

JBB
02-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Not only was that a great play, *I saw it too, but it was one of the great games ever played in the Fabulous Fargo Dome. *I dont know how many times the lead changed hands but both teams were scoring a lot of points. *It was *spirited, the crowd was really into it (wasnt the crowd peanalized 15 yds for unsportsmanlike conduct) and we won on that all time great play.

Green-N-Gold
02-23-2004, 03:02 PM
The "Bottle Game." Besides all the antics with Loser Eddie, Tony Satter had something likle 350 all purpose yards and was scoring on the Jacks at will. I'll never forget that game.

Herd_Mentality
02-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Malone's run on 4th & 1 in OT at the Alerus was awesome. * ;D

I'd agree, watching the ref blow the whistle was on top of the pile and not "down" really made me blow a gasket.

Junior
02-24-2004, 05:13 AM
I'd agree, watching the ref blow the whistle was on top of the pile and not "down" really made me blow a gasket
Yeah, the refs tend to call players down when they are really not down in Grand Forks. It happened before. It was 1995.

the crowd was really into it (wasnt the crowd peanalized 15 yds for unsportsmanlike conduct)
The student section got a 15 yarder for throwing the plastic footballs the cheerleaders threw in the stands back on the field. I plead the 5th. ;)

My favorite play:

The Bison defense breaking up the 4th down pass in the third overtime period of the 1994 "Mud Bowl" preserving the win against Pitt State. I still have scars on my knuckles from jumping up and hitting the ceiling.

...Ah, yes the bottle. That guy lives in Iowa now.

Tuk
02-24-2004, 05:50 AM
Does anyone know if there are any "Greatest Moments in Bison Football History" programming or literature that may showcase the greatest games of the past (WDAY, Prairie Public, NFL Films ;))? I know its a lot to ask for, but wouldn't that be a great piece of programming?

Tuk
02-24-2004, 05:54 AM
Since I am not old enough to have witnessed these great plays of Bison past, I guess I must enter my pick as the whole 4th quarter in last years Montana game. I think we all were yelling, screaming, and cheering the walls off of Chub's.....of course the whiskey helped a bit with the cheering.....and the win was unbelieveable, and as such makes the effort by the Bison of 2003 the best teamwork I have ever witnessed.

C-Student
02-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Not to take anything away from an very good '03 Bison club, but nothing compares to the teamwork, discipline, talent, character, and greatness of the teams in the 80's and 1990. You had to be there...........

AJ
02-25-2004, 12:40 AM
Don't forget about '65, '68, '69. They were very talented as well and the '68 team is tied with the 2001 team for the team with the most players signing pro contracts. It might have been awhile back but don't for get the guys who started the championship tradition and possibly the greatest coach in Bison history, Ron Erhardt.

Schemer
03-12-2004, 08:39 PM
The Montana fake TD pass was the greatest Bison moment I had seen on TV in recent memory.

Does anyone remember the 2000 playoffs? I was in the stands in Omaha. Those first two playoff games had to be some of the best football I have ever seen the Bison play.

Against NW Mo St, we were out-gunned in EVERY category....offense, defense. Their QB was better. I still to this day, do not understand how we won that game. Wait, I'll tell you why...we broke their back running Lamar Gordon.

Against Nebraska-Omaha, here's the scenario: The mighty herd is down 14-0 and we've just lost our starting QB Ryan Johnson. Does it not seem hopeless at this point? In walks Graig Gorder (can I say his name without someone punching me?) and reels off 43 unanswered points to win the game.

How many times has a guy stepped in...in a situation like that, for NDSU, and WON the game? Not many.

JBB
03-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Those were great games, but Gorder went down with a Knee too. The play that broke it was the pass to the tight end, I forget his name, but he took a mighty mighty hit hung on and sparked the rally. both QBs were on the tables with knees.

We beat NWMSU because we were a better football team. Our defense kept disrupting things in the backfield and our defensive backs shut down the long pass. They were turned into a chunk and dunk team like Augi. The fact that they couldnt kick fieldgoals didnt help either. It was one of the few games Babich ever passed to Lamar out of the backfield but it was good for a TD. Why he didnt use that play action fake more is beyond me. He would set it up game after game and never throw to the open back.

NDSU_grad
03-12-2004, 09:36 PM
The TE was Jared Peck.

JBB
03-13-2004, 04:02 AM
Thanks NDSU Grad, it slipped my mind for a minute.

Schemer
03-15-2004, 01:31 PM
I don't know many 'Chuck and Dunk' teams that had a home in streak like NWMSU did.

The play action didn't work because, as we jokingly say now, "NDSU runs to set up the run."

go bison