PDA

View Full Version : Worst Bison Game-Modern Era

NDSU_grad
01-16-2004, 06:58 PM
We've discussed the best, now the worst. You know, the ones where you couldn't go to class or work the following Monday because you were so pissed off and lost sleep for about two weeks. I think to be fair, we should omit any Bison-sue games, since any loss the sue would count for me.

I'll start with the 95 game in St. Cloud. Kevin Feeney's first start at QB in the NCC. We lose 34-0 (or was it 35) and I think we get 3 first downs. I was thinking we'd be lucky to win 3 conference games that year. Of course, Rocky made adjustments to the offense and we beat Augie the following week something like 51-0.

WYOBISONMAN
01-16-2004, 07:08 PM
How about any game that Babich coached in the 2002 season... ;)

IL_Bison
01-16-2004, 07:08 PM
Mankato and UNC in 2001, all I can say is frustrating considering all the talent on that team.

Herd_Mentality
01-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Definitely Mankato in 2001...all the turmoil before the game and then watching their fat quarterback outrun our entire defense... ugh

Herd_Mentality
01-16-2004, 08:28 PM
I recant...season opener/dome opener in 1993. Watching Arden Beachy go down...I was sick for 3 weeks. Of course by that time he had made Pitt State who was the #1 team in the country at the time look like swiss cheese.

Remember the old end zone student section and the chants of "these seats suck"???

BisonMav
01-16-2004, 08:56 PM
I recant...season opener/dome opener in 1993. *Watching Arden Beachy go down...I was sick for 3 weeks. Of course by that time he had made Pitt State who was the #1 team in the country at the time look like swiss cheese

I will agree, the season that could have been. I cringed when I saw Beachy get go down. That is the worse feeling I have had leaving a Bison game.

IowaBison
01-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Wasn't that game televised in Eastern North Dakota, I remember watching it and cringing at it. Still remember the day. Kind of like JFK's assassination or the moon landing.

JBB
01-16-2004, 09:30 PM
I was disappointed during Kjelbertsons reign and certainly during the Babich Era. The thing about the Babich era is this: he had a lot of talent. A Ron Erhardt or Don Morton could have gone undefeated during those years. At least 2 of those years anyway. There should have been at least one national title.

Bison_Kent
01-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Wasn't that game televised in Eastern North Dakota, *I remember watching it and cringing at it. *Still remember the day. *Kind of like JFK's assassination or the moon landing.
I believe KVLY covered the game with Dan Hammer doing the play by play (not sure on the color). I was a sophomore that year with that being the dome opener. KVLY replayed the game after the 10:00 news so I didn't see too much as I was celebrating the victory. I do still have my T-shirt they gave out before the game with "Bison Thunder Zone" on it. The student section was the moveable part of the endzone seats where you can stomp your meet to make noise and I remember it being loud. I don't remember the Dome ever being so loud since though. We definitely need that kind of atmosphere in the future.

NDSU_grad
01-16-2004, 10:33 PM
It was on in Western ND too. I was a freshman but went home that weekend to help with harvest and remember watching that game. We completely dominated them.

IowaBison
01-16-2004, 10:59 PM
The worst game I ever attended in hindsight was the Bob Entzion/UNO Felony Classic.

Even though we won the game that weirdo was there following his previous evenings extracurricular activities.

KTF
01-16-2004, 11:31 PM
To correct your post IowaBison,

In the UNO/Bob Etzion Felony Classic we lost that game 6-3, was only 1 of the 2 loses that NDSU had in 2000. Your right that was probably one of the lowest points in NDSU Football History!

IowaBison
01-17-2004, 12:09 AM
Didn't that happen the night before the 2000 playoff game? We won that by more than twenty.

IowaBison
01-17-2004, 12:11 AM
I just checked and it was that game.

KTF
01-17-2004, 12:59 AM
IowaBison,

I will take your word for it. I thought it was during the regular season game, NDSU could have won by 3 but Pederson missed two FG's. I remember how disappointed I was as I left the feild that day. Though I had a great time marching for the GSB at that game.

rocky
03-26-2004, 02:58 AM
The Babich loss to Auggie in the Dome. WOW I never ever thought I would see that. It just goes to show you that if you put your mind to it you can do anything...meaning that Babich must have practiced to lose that game. I'm so glad he is gone.

JBB
03-26-2004, 01:39 PM
By they the wheels were off and the writing was on the wall. I thought the game against SCSU last season was as tough a loss as you can take. We just made too many mistakes. I still cant see how we lost that game.

Schemer
03-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Yeah, 6-3, that's a baseball score!

Green-N-Gold
03-26-2004, 02:43 PM
It was on in Western ND too. *I was a freshman but went home that weekend to help with harvest and remember watching that game. *We completely dominated them.

Just the opppsite for me! I was home combining and we got rainedout the morning of the game so my cousin and I high-tailed it from Mott to Fargo!

JBB
03-26-2004, 02:53 PM
I will agree, the season that could have been. *I cringed when I saw Beachy get go down. *That is the worse feeling I have had leaving a Bison game.

That gave Rob Hyland his chance, one of the best passers we have ever had. He went down too bringing in Kevin Feeny. Beachys injury really threw a wrench into things. It required players to come on too fast. Beachy had waited his turn and was just one outstanding QB. Maybe the best, he just never got his chance.

KC7
03-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Just a note on the Entzion fiascal. Bob was to busy covering his own tracks following the game to take care of business. Namely getting a home playoff game for the following week, which the Bison should have gotten. It would have made all the difference, but no. The Bison end up traveling to Delta state to play on a terrible field, just like in 1989 when we had to play on home cooked field in Jacksonville, AL. It really could have ment the difference for National Championships in both years. His Sioux colors really shown bright in that corner office at the BSA.

Schemer
03-26-2004, 05:49 PM
I never actually got to see Arden Beachey in person...although heard him on the radio. Is this the same Arden Beachy?

http://www.lakewoodsystem.com/Departments/Physicians/Dr.%20Beachy.htm

It makes sense....it's in the area. If so, he's done very well for himself.

Green-N-Gold
03-26-2004, 05:57 PM
I never actually got to see Arden Beachey in person...although heard him on the radio. *Is this the same Arden Beachy?

It makes sense....it's in the area. *If so, he's done very well for himself.

He was a total class act on and off the field.

Herd_Mentality
03-26-2004, 07:19 PM
I never actually got to see Arden Beachey in person...although heard him on the radio. *Is this the same Arden Beachy?

It makes sense....it's in the area. *If so, he's done very well for himself.

Definitely him...good work. I knew that he didn't apply for a medical hardship because he wanted to go on and pursue medical school.

fight_on_sioux
03-27-2004, 06:24 AM
I remember watching that game with my dad at home in western North Dakota, and like a play before he got hurt my dad says, "they better take Beechy out, I'm thinking Pitt State will try and get to him one of these plays." He proved to be a profit. I felt so sorry for Beechy when John Hegre interviewed him on the sidelines and he had to admit his career was over.... :-[