PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Schedule

pwbnd
11-17-2003, 05:14 PM
Any rumors on what next year's schedule is going to look like?

Herd_Mentality
11-17-2003, 05:59 PM
Gene Taylor's exact quote on this in the parking lot after the game was "I can't comment on that right now".

roadwarrior
11-18-2003, 03:34 AM
There are other threads about next year's schedule, but Northern Colorado, Cal-Davis, St Marys and SDSU are going to be for sure.

Bisonguy
11-18-2003, 03:38 AM
roadwarrior,

I have a feeling you will live up to your name with next year's schedule. Hopefully we can get six games at the Fargodome. :-/

roadwarrior
11-18-2003, 03:54 AM
6 games at the Fargodome will alone amount to 3000 miles of travel for me!

For the road games, it will be NWA!

Bisonguy
11-18-2003, 04:08 AM
6 games at the Fargodome will alone amount to 3000 miles of travel for me!

For the road games, it will be NWA!

:o :o :o :o :o

That's DEDICATION!

BisonMav
11-18-2003, 04:16 AM
Sounds like the Twins Cities could be home for roadwarrior.

WYOBISONMAN
11-18-2003, 04:18 AM
Makes me feel guilty only being able to show up for 2 games. I will have to try to be better next year.... :P

dnk
11-18-2003, 05:33 AM
rw 262, do you follow basketball as well?

roadwarrior
11-18-2003, 10:36 PM
dnk,

I do follow basketball also. Especially the conference games. I dont make it to ALL of them, but quite a few. I'm looking forward to the women's games in St Paul this week.

dnk
11-19-2003, 05:26 AM
Oh that's right, the women have volleyball AND
basketball at Concordia this weekend.

C-Student
11-21-2003, 01:50 PM
What about:

Montana
Grambling
Northern Colorado
Cal Poly
Jacksonville St.
UC-Davis
SDSU
Georgia Southern
Troy St.

Some familiar teams that might create some interest.

somebison
11-21-2003, 05:33 PM
What about:

Montana
Grambling
Northern Colorado
Cal Poly
Jacksonville St.
UC-Davis
SDSU
Georgia Southern
Troy St.

Some familiar teams that might create some interest.

I think Taylor is already trying to get games with most of the teams you have listed. However Troy St. is now D-1A so we won't be eligible to play them for a few years. ;)

Bisonguy
11-21-2003, 06:11 PM
A I-AA or DII team can play any I-A school, it just will not count as a "bowl eligible" game for the I-A if they don't meet the criteria. Most I-A's that are borderline for making a bowl game would not want to risk it.

IowaBison
11-21-2003, 06:50 PM
DI teams can only count wins against DIaa schools for their playoff record once every four years. But most teams play one every year for fun. They play for the practice, not the win.

Nebraska-McNeese
Iowa State-UNI

C-Student
11-21-2003, 07:24 PM
Why not schedule a D1-A school ? *Maybe a Midwest school......Miami, OH; Iowa St.; .........

Jav_Fan
11-21-2003, 07:37 PM
See Texas State University-San Marcos (formerly Southwest Texas State) for a reason not to schedule Division I-A schools before you are ready.

Bisonguy
11-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Iowa State is a name already thrown around. Minnesota is the other main one. Both may make some "Bowl", so they would want to wait NDSU averages 60 scholies over three years.

IowaBison
11-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Iowa State is not going to see a bowl game for atleast two years. I think that they would benefit from a game against NDSU

a sure win (in 9 out of 10 years)
a land grant school
relatively large fan base -versus a MAC school that we would likely replace.-we would have to bump UNI which might be tough.

IowaBison
11-21-2003, 08:23 PM
I would rather lose to a Minnesota/Iowa State, than play a MAC school that is no better than a quality DIaa opponent.

Bisonfan1234
11-21-2003, 09:07 PM
See Texas State University-San Marcos (formerly Southwest Texas State) for a reason not to schedule Division I-A schools before you are ready.

Before you're ready?

LOL!!!

Who cares what the score is? The whole point of even playing a game like this is not that you have a chance to win but that your getting a major payday.

Jav_Fan
11-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Before you're ready?

LOL!!!

Who cares what the score is? The whole point of even playing a game like this is not that you have a chance to win but that your getting a major payday.

Before SWT went DI-AA they were the best DII team in the country. Of course Coach Wacker had a lot to do with that. Twenty years later, guess how many playoff berths they have had in I-AA. It starts with Z and ends with O. This year they played New Mexico and Tulsa and get outscored 113-23. Do you think a recruit is going to be impressed by that? I know the fans sure aren't (at least the ones I talk to).

Portland State is another example of over scheduling. Losing this year to Fresno State and last year to Oregon by a combined 83-16. Look where their attendance has been for the last few years. The highest attendend game for the Vikings this year, A&M-Kingsville @ 10,519. The next highest Northern Arizona @6,832. No other game drew 6,000. They need a team that the fans want to come see the Vikings play, not a game in which they have no chance to win.

If it helped the program out by getting them ready for the rest of the season, that's one thing. But to do it just for the money, I don't agree with. I think it hurts recruiting, the team's confidence and leads to a greater chance of injury.

If I thought the Javelinas could not compete with the I-AA teams that we play, I would be telling the coach not to do it. (Plus the way strength of schedule is calculated for D2, it is better to play a sub .500 D2 team than a good I-AA school.)

Bisonfan1234
11-22-2003, 12:56 AM
Recruits needn't worry about what happens against teams we don't have a chance against.

Let our regular season show that for them.

D1A teams are just our warm-up. 8)

JBB
11-22-2003, 02:55 PM
I think its going to be a few years before we can schedule a DIA team because we have to meet scholarship requirements. I think NDSU should persue the new conference and try and schedule teams that dont have very good playoff chances in both D2 and DI-AA. We need to start slow and work our way up.

JBB
11-24-2003, 12:32 PM
Possible NDSU football opponents next season:

UNC
SDSU
UCD
Watford college
Norfork State
Furman
SE Missouri
Western Ill.
McNeese
SE Louisiana
E. Washington University
Northern Iowa
Stephen Austin
North West State Louisiana
Lehigh
UNO
UND
Presbyterian college (home)
Tiffen
Mankato
SCSU
Tuscululm

GiantBison12
11-24-2003, 03:26 PM
JBB just wondering if you have inside info. If you look at Northern Colorado's home schedule they did not get any big names at home.

NDSU, SDSU DI Damn Right

JBB
11-24-2003, 04:41 PM
I went to the AFCA coaches site and listed all DIAA and D2 teams advertising. *I would imagine we would contact all of them. *With UNC, SDSU and UCD all on tap for away games we should be able to fill every date with these teams. *We might have to take an open date. *

TAMUK isnt advertising but they have stated on other boards they have an open dat. *It would be good to start a home/home with them. *I think we should travel first.

Our schedule next year will probably be dictated by the opponents. We are not very attractive to schedule because we will have one foot in each division. I doubt we will be playing too many teams with playoff aspirations.

The worst thing we could do is give und a big guarantee just to get a big home game. We could play SDSU twice each playing the others homecoming.

Jav_Fan
11-24-2003, 05:38 PM
TAMUK isnt advertising but they have stated on other boards they have an open dat. It would be good to start a home/home with them. I think we should travel first.

I'm pretty sure that we do have an open date at the beginning of the season. I understand that Portland State was a one year deal. Nicholls State will be the second year of a home and home, and then we have our 8 conference games. I would love for the Bison to come down here next year, even if it meant we had to play in the unfriendly (to us anyway) fargo dome the following year. It would be the best home nonconference game in Kingsville in a long time. We have such a hard time getting teams to play us down here, the Nicholls State thing was a fluke, someone cancelled on them.

GFBisonFan
11-24-2003, 10:58 PM
We could play SDSU twice each playing the others homecoming.

I have heard you state this several times in the past and I honestly think this idea is not all that great. It is one thing for a team to meet up again in the playoffs, but I'm not all that keen on the idea of scheduling a home/home in the same year, especially for homecoming. Hard to get excited for that. JMHO.

I know that scheduling will be tough and we may not have marquee games next year but UNC put together a decent schedule and I feel that we could also. It helps, I think, that we played well against UCD and beat Montana, showing that we belong on the I-AA scene. Give it time, judging by the list JBB provided we have a lot of opportunities for games.

There is no way that the Sioux will play us now. I would like to play them, but they will quote this year's selections as a reason not to play. SOS was obviously not a factor in the playoff decision and showed that sticking to D2 teams that suck, i.e. crookston, benefits you. Right Emporia and Pitt St.??? Look where a cream puff schedule got them.

JBB
11-24-2003, 11:31 PM
PSU did beat SCSU. *Something NDSU should have done.

did anyone hear roger thomas on Sat? *He stated the most pts a team could earn for the SSI in any single game was 14 and the most you could get for playing a DIAA team is 1? *Did I hear him right? *If so he was doing his usuall, passing along misinformation because it helps support his position.

He also stated that NDSU needed und a lot more than they needed NDSU. *Obvously hes either looking for a way out or is trying to hold up NDSU for a larger than deserved guarantee.

I have stated this before and am more convinced of it now. *NO GAMES WITH und.

He hasnt given any excuse for the BB ban. *

As far as the SDSU thing goes neither team will be headed for the playoffs next year, our toughest scheduling year. A doubleheader in football, or multiple BB games, would be fine with me. A familar foe for each of the homecomings and no need to deal with grand forks. Beyond next season I wouldnt think playing them twice would be of any benefit.

legend334
11-25-2003, 02:26 PM
JBB you did not hear him mis quoted, NDSU keeps forgetting that you guys are the ones who decided to leave the NCC and leave D2....not UND, UNO, or any other D2 school that you want to schedule for football, if you guys dream of the big pay day and playing the all mighty schools then go play them...have at it....dont worry about scheduling the peon D2 schools....leave us in the dust, and in 5 years when you guys want back in...hopefully the NCC has 10 or 9 teams by then and says nope.....dont want you...were guys were billy big time....thought you needed to leave so good riddens....live the dream....

JACKGUY
11-25-2003, 02:39 PM
There is no chance of NDSU ever wanting to return to the NCC and DII. If anything the envy and jealousy will come from UND and USD as they see they missed an opportunity to move up and form a conference with the other former NCC schools. Enjoy your D1 Hockey!

BisonMav
11-25-2003, 02:42 PM
Like I said in the smack thread, UND didn't miss the opportunity, they are content where they are at. I have no problem with that. UND fans whining about NDSU and their Divison I future is a sign of jealousy and resentment.

JBB
11-25-2003, 03:27 PM
JBB you did not hear him mis quoted, NDSU keeps forgetting that you guys are the ones who decided to leave the NCC and leave D2....not UND, UNO, *or any other D2 school that you want to schedule for football, if you guys dream of the big pay day and playing the all mighty schools then go play them...have at it....dont worry about scheduling the peon D2 schools....leave us in the dust, and in 5 years when you guys want back in...hopefully the NCC has 10 or 9 teams by then and says nope.....dont want you...were guys were billy big time....thought you needed to leave so good riddens....live the dream....

My God let up! I agree with you we shouldnt have any games. Thats not the point of my comment.

roger thomas was incorrect. Am I wrong?

legend334
11-25-2003, 03:31 PM
jealousy of what exactly??? what will NDSU accomplish by going D1???

BisonMav
11-25-2003, 04:30 PM
jealousy of what exactly??? what will NDSU accomplish by going D1???

There are a number of UND fans that want to make the Divison I move.

I-AA Football National Championship would be a nice accomplishment.

legend334
11-25-2003, 04:37 PM
1AA championship will get NDSU what??? a huge revunue.....prestige?? tell me what it will get you??? there is no money in 1AA football......there is one game on tv that is right after the D2 championship game???

Former_Hitman
11-25-2003, 04:42 PM
JBB you did not hear him mis quoted, NDSU keeps forgetting that you guys are the ones who decided to leave the NCC and leave D2....not UND, UNO, *or any other D2 school that you want to schedule for football, if you guys dream of the big pay day and playing the all mighty schools then go play them...have at it....dont worry about scheduling the peon D2 schools....leave us in the dust, and in 5 years when you guys want back in...hopefully the NCC has 10 or 9 teams by then and says nope.....dont want you...were guys were billy big time....thought you needed to leave so good riddens....live the dream....

Thank you,

We'll be on our way!

Also, please don't consider D-IAA in the future.

Farewell NCC, Just living the dream!!

89rabbit
11-25-2003, 04:55 PM
1AA championship will get NDSU what??? a huge revunue.....prestige?? tell me what it will get you??? there is no money in 1AA football......there is one game on tv that is right after the D2 championship game???

You must have bad cabel where you live. I get 2 or 3 I-AA games a week on my Fox Networks. Also with your way of thinking, why wouldn't UND move down to D-III. You could save your University a lot of money, sure to be spent on the Hockey program, and still get that Championship game on TV. Think about it the Sioux and the Johnnies battling it out on a Saturday afternoon, it makes sence to me. ;)

Former_Hitman
11-25-2003, 05:03 PM
Aye,

I like that rabbit!!!

legend334
11-25-2003, 05:04 PM
Sioux sports network??? heard of it???? which 1AA teams are you watching....are you sure you know who they are??? regional fox games....oh yeah tons of money in that too isnt there??? for that school??? tri state viewing area.....did i mention all our games are viewable on the internet now...how you doing NDSU??? WDAY carrying all your games for you??? good job....keep living the dream....

tony
11-25-2003, 05:05 PM
legend334, guess you'll have to wait to see what NDSU accomplishes. The first taste will be the 2004 recruiting class. Since UND doesn't want to try to compete on the field anymore, the only way UND has to measure itself against NDSU is by recruiting.

legend334
11-25-2003, 05:10 PM
thats right....last year NDSU didnt recruit North Dakota kids cuz there were none out there that fit their NEEDS...but dont most ND kids play both ways???? so if they were athletic enough to play on one side of the ball with good coaching couldnt they play on the other side of the ball??? all these signings NDSU went head to head with Miami or Oklahoma...right???

Former_Hitman
11-25-2003, 05:20 PM
Question?

A very good athletic boy from ND needs to make a decision.

He could choose UND who plays smaller scale schools like Crookston, Moorhead, and others, however could have the opportunity to play in the D-2 playoffs.

Or, He could choose NDSU who plays powerhouse schools like Montana, UC-Davis, Montana St., and would travel over the US, and could have the opportunity to play in the D-1AA playoffs. Also, would have a full ride scholarship compared to a fraction scholarship UND would offer.

I made my decison, NDSU.

legend334
11-25-2003, 05:23 PM
are you talking after your 5 year probation or when?? and are you talking about having a chance at the playoffs or hosting how many playoff games in the last 3 years???? how many North Dakota kids in the last 3 years have gone D1?? can anyone tell me...play powerhouses???? Montana and Montana St are powerhouses now??? they dont strike fear in the hearts of the big D1 schools come on...

GFBisonFan
11-25-2003, 05:38 PM
Sioux sports network??? heard of it???? *which 1AA teams are you watching....are you sure you know who they are??? regional fox games....oh yeah tons of money in that too isnt there??? for that school??? tri state viewing area.....did i mention all our games are viewable on the internet now...how you doing NDSU??? WDAY carrying all your games for you??? good job....keep living the dream....

The internet thing is a real bargain, 8.95 a game to watch, really nice touch. A whopping 120 people jumped in and participated last weekend for your beloved hockey team.

The games on the cable access channel are a good idea also, made for a huge crowd last weekend. A crowd against the top MIAA school in the first round of the playoffs similar to our last game crowd against a NSIC school without little or no hope for the playoffs. You really should promote the TV coverage some more-it really provides "big money" for the program with all the lost ticket sales and such.

89rabbit
11-25-2003, 05:43 PM
Sioux sports network??? heard of it???? *which 1AA teams are you watching....are you sure you know who they are??? regional fox games....oh yeah tons of money in that too isnt there??? for that school??? tri state viewing area.....did i mention all our games are viewable on the internet now...how you doing NDSU??? WDAY carrying all your games for you??? good job....keep living the dream....

Let me start by saying, nice use of questioning guy. *Wow that is impresive. * ;) *Next lets answer your questions.

1. Heard of the Sioux Sport Network? *The answer is NO. *I live in Kansas City. *No Sioux Sport Net down here.

2. *Which I-AA teams am I watchig? *I have seen Montana, Montana St., Georgia Southern, McNeese St., SFA, Texas St., UNI, App. St., Delaware, Villanova, etc. basically lots of teams from all over the USA. *

3. *Am I sure that they are I-AA? * Yes.

4. *Did you tell me that UND games are on the internet? *My answer is, Who Cares!

5. Money? *Please see my suggestion that UND moves down to D-III. *

6. *WDAY and the Bison? *I don't know, I am a Jackrabbit Fan who lives in Kansas City.

Hope that helps, have a nice day.

legend334
11-25-2003, 05:47 PM
thanks for the knowledge....

JBB
11-25-2003, 05:58 PM
I guess we can agree on one thing. NDSU will not be playing und! No surprise there and good riddance I say.

So that leaves us with the rest of the football universe that might like a game. As long as there are so many of you hanging here on the DI board, any teams on the list including TAMUK that und fans would like to see in Fargo?
Personally I would take any teams from the list I posted for an 11 game season and a chance at the provisional bowl. Schedule it the week before the playoffs start, bill it as a look at the future of DI-AA football and you have a match up that you can promote.

Bison_Kent
11-25-2003, 06:22 PM
I sent out some feelers to the e-mail addresses on the I-AA open date list on the AFAC site. I can tell you that Wofford, Lehigh, and SE Louisana have not had any discussions with NDSU. Also, Lehigh said that they look at costs when scheduling so they usually only schedule Northeast I-AA non-conference opponents.

I will let you know more when I hear.

mojobison
11-25-2003, 06:24 PM
FormerHitman is 100% right. UND is going to have a tough time recruiting against NDSU in North Dakota or anywhere else for that matter. Luckily, the academic non-qualifier pipeline will still be there for them.

Maybe UND coaches can tell football recruits how great the hockey team is. That never fails to impress football players. I think the days of UND coaches implying that UND is just about to go DI are over (too bad for the U, it worked last year).

IowaBison
11-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Now that's funny.

somebison
11-25-2003, 09:54 PM
I sent out some feelers to the e-mail addresses on the I-AA open date list on the AFAC site. *I can tell you that Wofford, Lehigh, and SE Louisana have not had any discussions with NDSU. *Also, Lehigh said that they look at costs when scheduling so they usually only schedule Northeast I-AA non-conference opponents. *

I will let you know more when I hear.

I hope Taylor talks to Wofford, they are 10-1 this year with their only loss to air force. *They scheduled Catawba this year so maybe they would be willing to schedule us next year... if they aren't scared ::)

Thanks for sending out the "feelers" and keep us informed ;)

JBB
11-25-2003, 11:12 PM
That would be an excellent game. Expecially if it were home home. I wouldnt care if NDSU only had 3 or 4 home dates this season. If thats what it takes to get into the DI-AA rotation get some guarantees and take the team on the road.

Im excited about next year and the expectaction of years to come. These are uncharted waters. The naysayers are looking at tommorrow. They have short life spans.

A friend of mine, who was once President of Team Makers would always say: Naysayers be damned! Move the Chains!

89rabbit
11-25-2003, 11:35 PM
Speaking of Nay sayers, here is an article that a man in Brookings wrote (SDSUFAN took the time to type it in because it was never posted on the Brookings Register's web site), it is a little old, but it is funny and seems to fit the spirit of some of our posters.

STUBBLE MULCH- AUGUST 20, 2003

BY Chuck Cecil *

A hotbed for FES recruiting

Recruiters for the Flat Earth Society are coming to Brookings. They believe our someplace special town has great potential for membership.

The FES decision was made after the society officials read comments by those who oppose the University's decision to move to Division I in athletics.

These perpetual nay-sayers *are just the kind of folks the society is looking for.

The Flat Earth Society, as some of you may recall from your history lesson, also kicked and screamed over approval of funds to finance the voyage *in 1492 of the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria.

In fact the FES members became so distraught that they called for the heads of *Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand, who financed the journey to the end of the world. *Believe it or not there is some of that going around in Brookings relative to the current situation.

The Society, which remains comfortable with the world as it was 50 years ago when there were only 97 chemical compounds on the element chart has also been against acceptance of every one of the last eight chemicals since they were discovered and added to the *chart. *The new elements were discovered by the way in a Division I school laboratories. *

FES was also against highway maps.

Last Friday morning, South Dakotans were the only citizens of any state that did not have a Division I school. *SDSU was the only Land Grant University not a *Division I member. *By 10:15 a.m. that *morning, we joined the rest of *society.

Interestingly, just a few hours after the *Division I announcement was made, two SDSU basketball greats, Austin Hansen of Valley Springs, and Sherri Brende of Baltic, were married in Baltic.

With the wedding of these two shooting guards, No 10 and No 22, I look for a pretty good *three point *expert to be playing Division One basketball for the Jackrabbits in about twenty or thirty years.

The future of South Dakota State and students not yet born is, what this thing is really all about.

We all need to remember that the university was here and survived changes long before any of us were admiring the skills of the likes of Hansen and Brende on the Frost Arena Basketball court. *

I am quite certain the university that belongs to all the South Dakotans , not just Brookingsites, will survive other changes coming down the pike, too. *I guarantee you that SDSU will be here long after we temporary residents are no longer season ticket holders.

So for all the students who in the next century *will come to SDSU, *let's make our state's entry into Division I a successful one.

Oh by the way, they're some Division II news. *Among the *10 new members of the athletic division SDSU just left were four schools from Puerto Rico, plus Goldey-Beacom College, Green Mountain College, Holy Family College, North Greenville College and the University of Sciences in Philadelphia.

Fortunately, despite FES objections, we now have detailed road maps so we'll all be able to eventually locate just where these obscure Division II *members are located.

I'm pretty sure the last six are all within the confines of *America, which fortunately Christopher Columbus discovered despite efforts to the contrary.

somebison
11-26-2003, 12:36 AM
Is they FES headquartered in Grand Forks, Vermillion or both ;)

Nice article ;D

somebison
11-26-2003, 12:38 AM

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Do you really like that emoticon or is something wrong with your keyboard

Bison_Kent
11-26-2003, 02:50 AM
I heard back from E. Washington and Stephen F. Austin
representives. EWU has their schedule full and SFA did not comment one way or the other.

I have not heard from any of the other as of yet.

Bison_Kent
11-26-2003, 03:38 PM
I heard from Furman and Indiana State. Both have their schedules full for next season. Furman seemed to be open for future years however.

Just doing this, it seems that Gene needs to start finalizing the schedule. Several teams have their schedules already complete and the others are starting to finalize now.

IowaBison
11-26-2003, 03:52 PM
I'm a little worried myself, but it will get done. I'm sure when can schedule Crookston, UND does.

Bison_Kent
11-26-2003, 04:00 PM
I heard back from Idaho State and they are not looking to add another I-AA to the schedule. They are looking for a I-A guarantee game.

So that means E. Washington and Idaho State are out as far as Big Sky opponents go for next year. I think Montana's and Montana State's schedules already came out and NDSU is not part of theirs.

I am a bit worried that there won't be a star-class game next year at home. Two top road games are UC-Davis and Northern Colorado.

Former_Hitman
11-26-2003, 04:08 PM
IowaBison,

I know what you are saying, however scheduling Crookston or any other sub par D-II school would be
an embarrasment.

The next couple of years we need to dish out money and schedule good quality opponents.

Meanwhile, I know Gene is doing the best he can to get good quality teams. At this point, Gene hasn't steered us any other way. Unless, I missed something.

It's difficult to get a good D-IAA team to play us. It's almost a lose lose situation for them.

The team doesn't know that much about us, and they are expected to win. If they happen to lose, not good.

tony
11-26-2003, 04:21 PM
Next year is going to be very tough as far as scheduling. Since that's the case, NDSU needs some home games. If that means playing DII teams, that's fine with me.

After next year, the only DII team I'd want NDSU to schedule is UND (and after NDSU is playoff eligible, only as a home game).

GFBisonFan
11-26-2003, 04:34 PM
IowaBison,

I know what you are saying, however scheduling Crookston or any other sub par D-II school would be
an embarrasment.

The next couple of years we need to dish out money and schedule good quality opponents.

Meanwhile, I know Gene is doing the best he can to get good quality teams. *At this point, Gene hasn't steered us any other way. *Unless, I missed something.

It's difficult to get a good D-IAA team to play us. *It's almost a lose lose situation for them.

The team doesn't know that much about us, and they are expected to win. * If they happen to lose, not good.

I would have agreed to this had Montana not made the playoffs or was unable to host a game. But they lost to us and still made it and are hosting. They committee looked at the overall picture and put the best teams in the field (hey how is that for an innovative concept). A loss to a up and coming team should not hurt them in terms of consideration, IMO.

I would like to see us play at least one big home game next year, a very good D2 opponent or average to good 1-aa opponent. I would hate to see a crookston or winona show up on the schedule, because we cannot use the "hey go and watch the crookston game und fans", which is really fun to poke fun of. Not only that, although it was nice to watch us beat the crap out of Moorhead St., the game was not that fun to watch after the first quarter.

Bison_Kent
11-26-2003, 05:25 PM
Just heard from Portland State. They had contacted NDSU on playing on a Thursday night in Portland either the first or second week of the season. They said that NDSU wasn't interested right now.

IowaBison
11-26-2003, 05:28 PM
I'd have no problem playing Winona State and burying them by 50.

I think it would be good for die hard d2 fans to see that the NSIC is a joke of a football conference.

Jav_Fan
11-26-2003, 05:33 PM
Just heard from Portland State. They had contacted NDSU on playing on a Thursday night in Portland either the first or second week of the season. They said that NDSU wasn't interested right now.

Maybe NDSU should reconsider. This would be a good game to start the season. I think the Bison could go out there, win their intial IAA game, and set a good tone for the season. Get in as many games (and wins) as possible against Big Sky conference teams.

IowaBison
11-26-2003, 05:38 PM
I agree completely. We should work to establish a relationship with PSU. We used to have a decent tradition with them when they were in D2 (all sports).

A good impression to a BSC team never hurts.

somebison
11-26-2003, 06:04 PM
Just heard from Portland State. *They had contacted NDSU on playing on a Thursday night in Portland either the first or second week of the season. *They said that NDSU wasn't interested right now. *

Do you know if it was a home and home deal or not... either way I wouldn't mind seeing them play that game
thanks for the info ;D

NDSU_grad
11-26-2003, 06:12 PM
I would love to see a rematch of the 88? championship game. My guess is that NDSU can be pretty picky about who we play on the road. The home schedule will be the one that is going to be tough to fill out. My guess is that it will be mostly average DII teams that are looking for a nice payday. Did UNC play any I-AA's at home this year?

IowaBison
11-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Nope, all on the road.

somebison
11-26-2003, 06:18 PM
I would love to see a rematch of the 88? championship game. *My guess is that NDSU can be pretty picky about who we play on the road. *The home schedule will be the one that is going to be tough to fill out. *My guess is that it will be mostly average DII teams that are looking for a nice payday. *Did UNC play any I-AA's at home this year?

UNC played 5 IAA's- all on the road,
UNC played 5 D2's at home and one on the road

Bison_Kent
11-26-2003, 06:20 PM
No they did not have a home game against a I-AA. But played Idaho State, Montana State, S. Utah, Florida Atlantic, and UC-Davis on the road.

clyde
11-26-2003, 06:22 PM
Iowa Bison. What years did you play at NDSU?

pwbnd
11-26-2003, 07:14 PM
Please, Please, Please come to Portland.

Former_Hitman
11-26-2003, 07:16 PM
I'd have no problem playing Winona State and burying them by 50.

I think it would be good for die hard d2 fans to see that the NSIC is a joke of a football conference.

From past experience, starters get about 10-15 snaps, and we loose potential starters due to injury.

Not a good idea!

JBB
11-26-2003, 09:59 PM
Play Portland State!!! It would be a great game, should give us a return in 2005. If NDSU cant get a very good home schedule it might be a good time to start televising the road games.

Bison_Kent
11-30-2003, 01:41 AM
Here is the latest news from the schools I have contacted:
Northwestern State (Louisana) has talked to Gene. They are open for a game if they can't find a closer opponent.

Rhode Island said no. They would like to stay in the NE.

William and Mary (Virginia) has a full schedule in 2004 but may be open for future games.

New Hampshire has not contacted NDSU but most likely would like to stay in the NE.

Illinois State would like to keep their non-conference in the Missouri, Kentucky, Indiana or Illinois areas to cut on costs.

So to keep to date, Portland State and Northwestern State seem like the only possibilities for next year as of right now.

WYOBISONMAN
11-30-2003, 03:48 AM
Sounds like slim pickings. I would expect the scheduling to come together much better in 2005.

Bison_Kent
12-01-2003, 03:26 PM
Just got back a few others.

Maine-- is looking for a I-A guarantee game but if they can't find one, a I-AA team might be scheduled.

Dusquense-- no, their schedule is complete

Valporasio-- no, they consider I-AA scholorship a higher division (even though they are also classified as I-AA).

Albany-- no, their schedule is complete. But would consider future years.

Villanova-- schedule is complete through 2006. Would like to keep a NE regional opponent.

Murray State-- schedule is complete and would like to stay close to their home (Kentucky).

Saint Francis-- schedule is full for 2004. no comments on future years.

Out of this group, Maine is the only sliver of chance.

JBB
12-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Dr. Taylor must know all of this too. The schedule is going to be very interesting. Everything points to a thin schecule on the road. We may just end up playing SDSU twice. I hope a weak schedule doesnt hurt scholarship retention. I dont imagine BB is looking any better?

Bison_Kent
12-01-2003, 05:02 PM
One more to add. Eastern Illinois has their schedule also complete for the 2004 season. Also, for the future, they would rather play teams closer to them.

WYOBISONMAN
12-01-2003, 05:32 PM
It amazes me that SDSU was so far ahead of NDSU in the schedule game. On everything else it seems NDSU was the leader, but when it comes to the schedule and getting quality opponents, SDSU whipped us!

Bison_Kent
12-01-2003, 05:37 PM
WYOBISONMAN,

I am not sure it was the fact that SDSU was in front of NDSU in scheduling. *I think the fact that NDSU beat Montana as a DII team has a few teams scared to play as they are looking for an easy win in their non-conference play. *

I am not saying SDSU will be a pushover but based on past performances, but I think they are a much easier team to beat then are the Bison.

And by the way Stoney Brook (NY) said no.

WYOBISONMAN
12-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Well.....I will be at the UNC game, since I know that one is a go. And....I will probably drink to excess and enjoy the hell out of a renwed rivalry with UNC!

Bison_Kent
12-01-2003, 06:13 PM
There are two other for sure games with NDSU visiting California twice with games at UC-Davis and St. Mary's. I would also guess that SDSU will be a road game (if just one game is played) as SDSU played in Fargo this year. So there are four games we know about and seven we don't. I hope that there are at least 5 home games for the Bison. I would imagine that all 5 will be against DII opponents.

BisonMav
12-01-2003, 06:18 PM
I drove from the Twin Cities, this year to watch the Bison play Division II oponents. I will do it again if need be, hopefully 6 for 6. 480 miles per trip, no problem to watch Bison football.

Bison_Kent
12-01-2003, 06:24 PM
I finally got a positive response. Elon (North Carolina), a team that also just made the move is still looking for a I-AA opponent. They are looking for a home and home (and would like the first game at home). They are the newest members of the Southern Conference (which includes Georgia Southern). They finished this past season with a 2-10 record so they aren't real positive but it is a I-AA opponent. Their two wins came against Hofstra (NY) and E. Tennessee State.

BisonMav
12-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Tusculum played them and beat them. That still would be a I-AA game like BisonKent said. I would be in favor.

IowaBison
12-01-2003, 06:36 PM
Any DIAA opponent would be great. It would be nice to get some publicity outside the Midwest and D2.

Bison_Kent
12-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Just heard back from Colgate (this year's #4 seed in the I-AA playoffs). They would like to look into a game(s) with NDSU.

This sounds promosing and would be a marquee team for the Bison to match up against.

Colgate hosts Western Illinois (the team that beat Montana) this weekend in the quarterfinals.

IowaBison
12-01-2003, 09:32 PM
Colgate would be outstanding opponent as well.

I think that I need to think more about the quality teams in the South and East rather than BSC schools. These affiliations could last for a while, so why not start a tradition with an East Coast school.

Former_Hitman
12-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Bison_Kent,

I don't know how you get your information, however I like your style.

Keep up the good work!!

Bison_Kent
12-01-2003, 10:05 PM
Basically my style was to e-mail the ADs of the I-AA teams. Some respond and some don't.

IowaBison
12-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Whatever it is, I appreciate it.

Bisonfan1234
12-01-2003, 11:10 PM
The question is...would the AD's of those other schools actually contact our AD simply because a fan emailed them?

IowaBison
12-01-2003, 11:12 PM
I think that most ADs would definitely think about it, its December already and I can't see many sitting on their hands with a viable game in NDSU.

somebison
12-01-2003, 11:14 PM
The question is...would the AD's of those other schools actually contact our AD simply because a fan emailed them?

probably not... but I don't see how it can hurt... a little email reminder could refresh an AD's memory

JBB
12-02-2003, 01:27 AM
Its hard for me to believe that NDSU isnt already in touch with these schools on an offical level. Thats why colgate sounds so good. They might be negotiating with us now, same with Portland. If they arent talking I say Bison Kent for promotions and scheduling director.

WYOBISONMAN
12-02-2003, 01:33 AM
Sounds good....Kent, are you ready to move back to Fargo!!

SDSUFAN
12-02-2003, 01:37 AM
JBB:
I would agree, the AD Taylor should have a lackey doing what Bison Kent is doing all on his own. *Maybe they do but Bison Kent email opened an eye. Maybe one that really counts. *The AD needs to contact NDSU and maybe he will based on Kent's email. I congradulate Kent for taking the initiative.

I watched the Bayou classic between Grambling and Southern Saturday. *The QB from Southern had 558 passing yard for the game. Both teams did not have a secondary that could stop a home run pass. Thats two more schools that may be looking for games.

IowaBison
12-02-2003, 01:42 AM
I think we need to give Taylor a little credit, I'm sure he's working on scheduling it is his full time job. Though Kent is a definitely a stud for being a proactive fan.

Bison_Kent
12-02-2003, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the promotions but I am positive that Gene has already done what I am doing.

Actually, what I did wasn't that time consuming. I basically just asked each AD if NDSU was on their schedule next year or if they had even thought of scheduling NDSU in the future. It was basically the same letter to each AD.

By the way, Western Carolina just e-mailed me back and they said no. They want to stay in the SE part of the country.

somebison
12-02-2003, 02:17 AM
By the way, Western Carolina just e-mailed me back and they said no. *They want to stay in the SE part of the country.

we are SE ND... does that count for anything ;D ... emailing the ad's may not have been that time-consuming.. however the rest of us are too lazy to do it... thanks again

roadwarrior
12-02-2003, 02:48 AM
I know that Gene is working on this scheduling stuff. He doesnt want to talk publicly about the schools he's talking with until the deal is signed. He did tell me that it looks like we would have 5 home games in 2004.

Wherever it takes the BISON, I will follow....

wfduck
12-02-2003, 07:59 PM
we are SE ND... does that count for anything ;D ... emailing the ad's may not have been that time-consuming.. however the rest of us are too lazy to do it... thanks again

i prefer to sit here....drink my warm Old Mil and speculate...I appreicate Kents willingness to work for the good of the cause....

think i'll just sit here and drink

somebison
12-03-2003, 01:27 AM
the open dates list was updated today

http://www.afca.com/lev1.cfm/43

WYOBISONMAN
12-03-2003, 03:31 AM
I see Furman has open dates. I used to live in Greenville, SC and I know Furman has a great tradition and a great program. It would be a real plus to get a home and home with Furman.

Bison_Kent
12-03-2003, 03:51 AM
Furman was one that got back to me. *I thought I might recap the 2004 schedule possibilities as I didn't receive any further e-mails today.

Western Carolina *NO
Colgate *POSSIBLY
Elon *POSSIBLY
Portland St. *POSSIBLY
Northwestern State *POSSIBLY
Idaho State *NO
E. Washington *NO
Stephen F. Austin *NO COMMENT
Rhode Island *NO
William and Mary (Virginia) *NO
New Hampshire *NO
Illinois State *NO
Furman *NO
Indiana State *NO
Maine *NO
Dusquense *NO
Valporasio *NO
Albany *NO
Villanova *NO
Murray State *NO
Saint Francis *NO
Stoney Brook *NO
Wofford *NO
Lehigh *NO
SE Louisana *NO
Western Carolina NO

WYOBISONMAN
12-03-2003, 04:11 AM
If Furman told you they had thier sched full, I wonder why they are saying they have open dateson the afca web site.....? I hate this waiting to see what happens. I think it is great Kent took the time to do so much research on this. Thanks Kent.

IowaBison
12-03-2003, 04:35 AM
I think we should play Morehead State just to make everyone in the Upper Midwest think that there is typo.

GoAgs
12-03-2003, 05:18 AM
Did you try Slack State? They are reportedly trying to back out of one of their two I-A games for next season.

Davis has two teams from the Southland on the schedule next year (SWT, SFA) and Portland State and Southern Utah along with all the usual suspects. Scheduling when we were D2 was a disaster but it sounds like as a I-AA it is much easier. Being in California has it's advantages for bringing in visiting teams due to all of the local recruits.

JBB
12-03-2003, 06:35 AM
I am strongly of the opinion that we should travel to SCSU next year and fill their open date. Its almost like a home game and they will have a new stadium.

Bison_Kent
12-04-2003, 02:51 AM
One more slow to responder in: Bucknell is full for the next 4-5 years but after that they might be open for a game or two. Bucknell is also the Bison so I suggested that we play a battle of the Bison.

IowaBison
12-04-2003, 03:13 AM
Along those same lines we could play the Howard Bison, it would be a great away game with a lot of alum in the Washington Metro Area.

Bison_Kent
12-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Northern Iowa has just responded to me and they have said no for at least the next 2-3 years as they either are hoping for a I-A money game or a DII team.

I am guessing that they don't want a home and home series. They would prefer a one year deal with a I-A road game or a DII home game.

Bisonguy
12-04-2003, 10:18 PM
I thought a former NCC member would try to help NDSU out. :-/

IowaBison
12-04-2003, 10:29 PM
Northern Iowa is hoping for a DII team?

I wonder if they're not a DIAA UND? Can't take a loss, though their fans certainly talk trash on anygivensaturday about the bison.

Bisonguy
12-04-2003, 10:47 PM
Most of the UNI fans seemed like they wanted to see games and maybe a rivalry develop on the old gatewayconnection board before the season started. I'm guessing a lot of teams became scared of playing NDSU after the win at Montana. I know Georgia Southern is ;D.

IowaBison
12-04-2003, 10:50 PM
I don't support throwing games, but I wonder if our scheduling would have gone differently if we would have lost to Montana.

I'm starting to wonder if there aren't already a few UNDs in DIAA.

I understand the desire to win, but don't people go to games to see competition?

BisonMav
12-04-2003, 11:03 PM
The success of UNC and UCD probably didn't help much either. The schools that are currently moving up are stronger than expected by current I-AA schools.

Bisonguy
12-08-2003, 10:34 PM
Okay, it's not the 2004 schedule, but here is what we have to look forward to in 2005 in the Fargodome:

NDSU has signed contracts to host Davis, Northern Colorado, SDSU, St. Mary’s and Minnesota State-Mankato.

One more home game, and it looks like a pretty good schedule.

IowaBison
12-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Looks spectacular to me. Might have to make the 6 hour roadtrip for a couple of those, UNC/UCD.

somebison
12-18-2003, 12:52 AM
AFCA open date website was updated again yesterday
http://www.afca.com/lev2.cfm/316

it says Western Illinois is still looking for a IAA home/home series for a few dates in september and is willing to travel in 04.. it does say it they are looking for a guarantee game as well

IowaBison
12-18-2003, 01:22 AM
The leathernecks would be a great team to play, especially given their success over the last few years.

I think it would be great for NDSU to get a game with them or UNI to build our IAA exposure to the east and gain some respect from the Gateway just like we did with the win over Montana with the west.

Bisonfan1234
12-18-2003, 02:03 AM
The leathernecks would be a great team to play, especially given their success over the last few years.

I think it would be great for NDSU to get a game with them or UNI to build our IAA exposure to the east and gain some respect from the Gateway just like we did with the win over Montana with the west.

I like your thinking!

IowaBison
12-18-2003, 02:13 AM
That doesn't mean that I want to join the Gateway.

Bisonfan1234
12-18-2003, 02:36 AM
Obviously you do if you typed that. It must be in you sub-conscious.

Bison_Kent
12-18-2003, 03:41 AM
Is Bisonfan1234 a Sioux fan in disguise? His reasoning sounds more like that of the Northern Ralph U then NDSU.

I would like to play Colgate, Maine, and Georgia Southern in the future. I guess I am a supporter of getting in the Patriot, Atlantic 10 and the Southern Confrernces for NDSU's home using his reasoning.

Bisonguy
12-18-2003, 03:53 AM
I wouldn't mind NDSU playing Grambling. That way NDSU could be in the Bayou Classic ;D.

Bisonfan1234
12-18-2003, 04:11 AM
think it would be great for NDSU to get a game with them or UNI to build our IAA exposure to the east and gain some respect from the Gateway just like we did with the win over Montana with the west.

This is the part i was talking about.

If impressing Montana gets us in with the BSC, then impressing UNI or WIU would surely get us in with the Gateway.

IowaBison
12-18-2003, 04:14 AM
Newsflash, Bison1234, we are not going to join the Gateway Conference.

Bisonguy
12-18-2003, 04:16 AM
I think NDSU needs to impress Grambling to get into the SWAC. There's a lot of $$$ in the Bayou Classic, and NDSU needs to get their hands on that $$$.

Then it's Fieldturf all over NDSU!

Cover the whole campus in Fieldturf. Albrecht Blvd covered with Fieldturf. 12th Avenue covered with Fieldturf. Isn't the carpet in Memorial Union getting a little old? Cover it with Fieldturf. ;D

Bisonfan1234
12-18-2003, 04:18 AM
Newsflash, Bison1234, we are not going to join the Gateway Conference.

we are not going to join the BSC.

JACKGUY
12-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Bison Kent
I've been wondering that for some time as to whether Bison 1234 is in reality a Sioux Fan or just an antagonist or both!

BisonInTexas
12-18-2003, 06:10 PM
I think NDSU needs to impress Grambling to get into the SWAC. There's a lot of $$$ in the Bayou Classic, and NDSU needs to get their hands on that $$$.

Then it's Fieldturf all over NDSU!

Cover the whole campus in Fieldturf. Albrecht Blvd covered with Fieldturf. 12th Avenue covered with Fieldturf. Isn't the carpet in Memorial Union getting a little old? Cover it with Fieldturf. ;D

And make sure to carpet the new dorms that replace the three practice fields in front of the BSA (since every coach dreams of having to hold practices indoors on one field) with FieldTurf. In fact, replace the basketball courts in the BSA with FieldTurf. It's better than grass!

I would also refuse to join any conference that did not have all of its members playing on FieldTurf indoors, since that is the way football was meant to be played.

;D

Bisonfan1234
12-18-2003, 09:16 PM
And make sure to carpet the new dorms that replace the three practice fields in front of the BSA (since every coach dreams of having to hold practices indoors on one field) with FieldTurf. *In fact, replace the basketball courts in the BSA with FieldTurf. *It's better than grass!

I would also refuse to join any conference that did not have all of its members playing on FieldTurf indoors, since that is the way football was meant to be played.

;D

Ever hear of a "slippery slope"?

Obviously none of the nonsense you're talking about will happen.

Field turf along with indoor stadiums is the only way NORTHERN teams can stay competitive with southern schools. We simply don't have mother nature on our side.

As far as fieldturf goes, however, i wouldn't mind having it when i buy a house instead of grass. Just don't put the rubber infill in.

Bisonguy
12-19-2003, 03:03 AM
Grambling isn't on the schedule...........yet ;D

New developments to the schedule include an away game signed with SDSU-finally ::)

There have also been some weird thing called a home game rearing it's ugly head ???

Here's what Gene Taylor has for games that have been signed (i.e. contracts) [from WDAY news]:

Away Games

UNC, UCD, St. Mary's, and SDSU

Home Games

UMD and Cal Poly

UMD is supposedly somewhat unclear if the game will be played, because they are in the process of hiring a new coach. They may want to back out of it ::).

Cal Poly is a good addition.

Five more games to go!

KC7
12-19-2003, 03:08 AM
Going indoors in the Fargo Dome has really benefitted the bison in the playoffs. Bison1234 you have a short memory. Dakotah field was a huge advantage over southern, western, heck all teams in December. You don't have to play indoors or on field turf to compete with any team. You have to have superior talent and superior attitude.

Bisonfan1234
12-19-2003, 08:04 PM
Going indoors in the Fargo Dome has really benefitted the bison in the playoffs. *Bison1234 you have a short memory. *Dakotah field was a huge advantage over southern, western, heck all teams in December. *You don't have to play indoors or on field turf to compete with any team. *You have to have superior talent and superior attitude.

*yawn*....wow...weren't those the good ol' days??

Yeah it sucks now, it's indoors so the temp is 75 and no sittign on a bench, you get chairs, no sitting in snow either.

Indoor is the way to go easily, and we're not going back for a long time!!

JACKGUY
12-19-2003, 08:16 PM
Coughlin Alumni Stadium does not compare with the Fargo Dome in terms of amenities etc, however I will take the atmosphere of an outdoor football game in comparision to college dome games I've attended such as the Gophers and Bison. College football was meant to be played outside in my opinion rather than having to listen to all the artifical noise and plea for noise I witnessed at a Bison game. I think in October and November at an oudoor game the people that are in attendence battling the elements really want to be there.

Former_Hitman
12-19-2003, 10:14 PM
I completely agree with you, JackGuy!

I believe college football should be played outside. During my playing days I was on the Student-Athlete committee, and I tried to get at least one game back on to Dakotah Field. Maybe the Moorhead State game.

As you all know, I failed

Most players rather play outside except if you were a receiver or some skinny thing.

That's why my favorite games was at Memorial Stadium. The outdoor atmoshere was awesome.

bisonaudit
12-19-2003, 10:19 PM
I can't disagree with the last two posts.

Outdoor football is definately a superior experience.

The last few rivalry games outside at UND were unforgettable.

But, ask yourself this... Would we be going IAA if we played outside?

Former_Hitman
12-19-2003, 10:48 PM
Absolutely,

IF Dakotah Field woud have been re-furnished

bisonaudit
12-19-2003, 10:58 PM
I don't see it.

We'd have to look at the football revenues pre and post FargoDome but I can't imagine where they'd get the money to go DI if they were playing outside.

They can't draw 15,000 to an indoor game where the spectator conditions are guaranteed. You could have renovated Dakotah until you were blue in the face and still not make the kind of money you need at the gate.

wfduck
12-22-2003, 12:27 AM
exactly:
capacity at Dakotah from 1987 to 1993 was 15000 CAPACITY

JBB
12-22-2003, 12:40 PM
If they moved outside they would draw far fewer fans. Average/game rose by seveal thousand when the Fabulous Fargo Dome opened and has stayed much higher than the average Dacotah Field crowd.

Baldy
12-29-2003, 07:08 PM
Most of the UNI fans seemed like they wanted to see games and maybe a rivalry develop on the old gatewayconnection board before the season started. I'm guessing a lot of teams became scared of playing NDSU after the win at Montana. I know Georgia Southern is *;D.

Don't worry guys, I won't pollute your board too much. :)

GSU is scared?
Strange, I didn't get the memo. We open the 2004 season @ UGA next year but we are afraid of NDSU? Not likely. If there were any fear involved, chances are it would most likely be the other way around. ;)

Former_Hitman
12-29-2003, 07:54 PM
If they moved outside they would draw far fewer fans. *Average/game rose by seveal thousand when the Fabulous Fargo Dome opened and has stayed much higher than the average Dacotah Field crowd.

I agree, Fargodome raised the attendance, however it's people who don't enjoy the game. It's business like people who take clients.

As a player, I would take 15,000 crazy people outside than 19,000 quiet people inside, but I do know it's money that speaks.

JBB
12-29-2003, 09:40 PM
The Fabulous Fargo Dome has never had 19,000 and a quiet crowd at the same time. I think its a loud and rowdy as old Dacotah Field. Sure its quiet some time, but its also very rowdy.

They will never allow some of the shenanigans in the FFD that went on at Dacotah Field, but those things were isolated too. People were arrested at Dacotah Field and People have been arrested at the FFD.

The thing that strikes me about the future is this. We arent going to play many teams the caliber of und or UNO. Almost all of the teams we will play will be better. A und or UNO will be a breather.

I have a feeling things are going to get better for the fan in Fargo, and the Fabulous Fargo Dome is the best place Ive ever been to watch a football game. It has to be a good place to play too.

Bisonguy
12-29-2003, 09:44 PM
Baldy,

Note the use of the *;D in my previous post. The NDSU AD was working on a game with GSU, but it looks like the SDSU AD did a better job at pitching a contract.

It's all good, Eagle friend. I hope NDSU can get GSU on the schedule in the future.

IowaBison
12-29-2003, 11:29 PM
No need for the smiley face, I think they and others would have played us had we lost to Montana.

I do think some DIAA schools are scared, not because we are some power, but losing to a former DII school hurts.

I don't think you'll do a thing against UGA, Baldy.

Baldy
12-31-2003, 03:12 PM
Iowa:

I promise, what NDSU did or didn't do to Montana has nothing to do with wether we schedule NDSU or not. GSU has contacted and tried to schedule our neighbor and DII powerhouse, Valdosta State, for the last few years, but to no avail. I guess they preferred to travel to South Florida and take on FAU.

Speaking of South Florida teams, it didn't bother us one bit to schedule I-AA newbies FIU and USF. We tried to schedule (we'll play anybody, anytime, anywhere) FAU also, but Smellybooger said no.

BTW,
I don't think we'll do too much against UGA either. We're not supposed to, afterall UGA's football recruiting budget is larger than our entire athletic department's budget.
But hey, that's why we play the games. Who woulda thought that little 'ol I-AA GA Southern College would go down to Tallahassee FL and score on the first play of the 4th quarter to take the lead over the #1 I-A team in the nation. Or who woulda thought that GSU would go into Corvalis Oregon and roll up 500 yards of O just to give the game away to a bowl bound Oregon State team.

Bisonguy:

Like you, I hope our respective AD's are working something out and we can play a game soon.

JBB
12-31-2003, 04:15 PM
It would be a good game and I sure would look forward to it, but it will be better when we are fully acclimated. *This year is tough because we count as a DII team for the DI-AA compeittion and as DI-AA for DII competition. *I hope we can find 10 games.

Bison_Kent
01-16-2004, 03:46 AM
Latest from afac site:

Gene must have a Sept. 4 game as this date is off. Wasn't that the date slated for the UND game?

roadwarrior
01-16-2004, 12:45 PM
I had it down that we are playing UNC on sept 4th.

JBB
01-20-2004, 01:34 PM
*Why should the weather decide a game?

wfduck
01-20-2004, 06:35 PM
I'll take outdoor football anyday....there is a reason why NE and Philly play outdoors...and they still get fans even in January.

Bisonfan1234
01-20-2004, 06:45 PM
And that reason is their giant fan bases.

We'll just say only 5% of people are willing to go outside when it gets realy cold.

That means about only 6500 people in the Fargo area but hundreds of thousands of people in Boston or Philly.

somebison
01-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Latest from afac site:

Gene must have a Sept. 4 game as this date is off. *Wasn't that the date slated for the UND game?

the fourth isn't listed as open for SU here either

http://www.afca.com/lev2.cfm/317

perhaps he is still holding it

Bisonguy
01-21-2004, 12:35 AM
Just announced- UMD has cancelled the game with NDSU. Bubba stated that he was able to schedule an in-region game with Pitt State on that date. Maybe somebody should inform him that the D2 regions change next year ::) ::)

somebison
01-21-2004, 06:49 AM
SU still in talks with western illinois and montana state

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=48492

BisonMav
01-21-2004, 12:58 PM
SU still in talks with western illinois and montana state

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=48492

The Duluth game being cancelled didn't surprise me, but how can that help their recruiting. A recruit goes from telling his friends he is going to a school that is playing a I-AA team, to telling his friends he is going to a school that is playing the "Lil Sisters of the Poor". WIU and Montana State will be much better in the long run for the Bison. The team will have to be up for every game, no patsies anymore.

JBB
01-21-2004, 08:48 PM
Its too bad about the UMD game. *

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2004, 08:50 PM
~yeah I think it will be good for SU....they want to be a nationally known University in D1-AA they will definetely have the oppurtunity in a couple years....Im still wondering how we get SDSU @ SDSU and not here? ???

somebison
01-21-2004, 08:51 PM
~yeah I think it will be good for SU....they want to be a nationally known University in D1-AA they will definetely have the oppurtunity in a couple years....Im still wondering how we get SDSU @ SDSU and not here? ???

i am assuming it is because they played here this year

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2004, 08:53 PM
~JBB I give UMD 3 years, then they beat UND...if their coach was the mastermind in UND, UMD wont be far behind....hate to say it but they have always had a dominant defense...

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2004, 08:54 PM
i am assuming it is because they played here this year

~yeah your probably right I didnt even think of that I guess.....

Bisonfan1234
01-21-2004, 11:28 PM
Its too bad about the UMD game. *It would have been convenient for us. *But I agree if we have a DI-AA alternative we should take it. *As far as UMD goes they would get pounded by NDSU and PSU will probably hand it to them as well. *They are a tomato can and UND will feast on them like Mankato or USD. *

Why *Bubba is giving up $30,000 *for an OUT OF REGION home game that is treated the same way as a DI-AA team for the SSI is beyond me? *Maybe thats why they call him Bubba?

Maybe it will only be 10 games this year and a shot at the Provisional Bowl? *That's OK with me. *2005 is going to be great.

It might make sense to give Western Ill. 2 home games for one away, all guarantees, if they will play in Fargo this year. *Make the second home game some time in the next 5 years but not 2006 unless NDSU agrees.

We might have to do that with a couple of teams. *Grambling would be good. *

It's pretty obvious he's doing it out of spite.

JBB
01-22-2004, 01:02 PM
UMD is a top NSIC team and it has been shown that top NSIC teams have no place in Fargo. *

Bisonfan1234
01-22-2004, 03:14 PM
UMD is a top NSIC team and it has been shown that top NSIC teams have no place in Fargo. *I dont think they will be placing in the top 3 in the NCC until SCSU, und and UNO all have off years. *They will play 500 ball with the rest of the NCC. Without NDSU to compete against I think und football heads south. *No spark, no spirit. *Spite is no way to run a sports program or a university. *

As much as i would like to think you're right, as long as UND keeps using politics to get home games in teh play-offs (which they get from scheduling easy NC teams) they'll keep winning and that will get them the top notch recruits from ND and MN.

JBB
01-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Winning in the NCC will be easier than ever.

tony
03-31-2004, 09:01 PM
Thought I'd just pop this to the top so that all three 2004 schedule topics were in one place...