PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Jeff Kolpack??

WYOBISONMAN
03-29-2004, 02:58 PM
Where did Jeff Kolpack go? He has vanished from the Forum?

Bisonfan1234
03-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Perhaps he's on assignment.

WYOBISONMAN
03-29-2004, 03:15 PM
I would think that if he had left the Forum for good there would have been some kind of announcement on the web site.....

BisonMav
03-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Spring Break?

Answer_Man
03-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Had a column yesterday. Sure could use a Kolpack Bison fix.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=54797

Bison_Dan
03-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Anyone notice the nice headline for the sue losing in hockey, but when the Bison lose they got slammed in the headlines. ie Bison BB are pretenders. How about the sue which was in the easy division and they choke big time. Nothing. :-/ :-/

wfduck
03-30-2004, 08:20 PM
Anyone notice the nice headline for the sue losing in hockey, but when the Bison lose they got slammed in the headlines. *ie *Bison BB are pretenders. *How about the sue which was in the easy division and they choke big time. *Nothing. *:-/ :-/

i agree. the forum really digs up bison dirt. but the sue for some reason are immune. i am so sick of reading the forum slant on trashing the d1 move. i wish there was another daily newspaper in town. at least in mpls you can get the pioneer or trib.

Bisonfan1234
03-30-2004, 08:49 PM
The forum probably holds the Bison to high standards because we are expected to win. Face it, we are the best that North Dakota has to offer.

UND is a secondary university that is only expected to do well in Hockey. Their athletics teams, on average, are nothing to write about. Thus, when they lose, it's more like "yeah, that's about what we expected" while when NDSU loses it's more like "damnit, i can't believe they lost!".

Bison_Dan
03-30-2004, 10:00 PM
I would like to believe that Bisonfan1234 but I think that the truth is the majority of media around here are und alumni. :-/ :-/

MN_BISONS
03-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Dan, I've been out of Fargo now for 5 five years, but I believe there is very little media in Fargo if any with a degree from UND. Moorhead State dominates the local media and MSU grads don't always have a lot of love for the Bison because they were always the second or third story in town. I do think Jeff Kolpack graduated from SU, but I'm not sure about that. I think he teaches at NDSU too.

The local media is very pro NDSU for the most part. WDAY is all about NDSU and KVLY and KXJB give the Bison a fair shot too. Remember, KVLY and KXJB broadcast into GF, so it can't be all NDSU all the time. As far as The Forum goes, SU gets a lot of nice ink there too. It can't be all bunnies and kitties all of the time and I think that shows The Forum is a true media outlet; whereas the Herald is nothing more than fish rap because it's all UND all the time. Although I will say the Herald is getting better at covering the Bison, but they are so pro UND it just makes me wonder if they should rename it The Dakota Student II. Just my two cents.

Bison_Dan
03-30-2004, 10:49 PM
I think that the Kolpack brothers are und alumni. :-/ :-/

NDSU_grad
03-30-2004, 11:08 PM
I don't know about Ed but Jeff is an alumni of NDSU. I did a search on the NDSU alumni website. It's a secure site so posting the link won't work, but you guys can take my word for it.

Bisonguy
03-31-2004, 12:44 AM
Dave is the other Kolpack brother. Ed was the father, who wrote a book on Bison football history. I can't remember the title of the book, but I know some people on here have a copy. I think Jeff does a great job covering Bison athletics.

BisonInTexas
03-31-2004, 01:37 AM
I don't know about Ed but Jeff is an alumni of NDSU. *I did a search on the NDSU alumni website. *It's a secure site so posting the link won't work, but you guys can take my word for it.

Yes, Jeff wrote for the Spectrum way back when in the 80's when I attended NDSU, so I can vouch that he attended NDSU. I could be wrong but I think that Dave attended NDSU as well. I have always thought Jeff does a good job on covering the Bison. I would really be disappointed in the Forum if it covered the Bison like the Herald covers the Sioux - my high school paper was more objective than that rag is.

Craig

tony
03-31-2004, 02:19 AM
Can't say it much better than that.

NDSU_grad
03-31-2004, 02:45 AM
Sorry about the mixup, I knew Ed was the dad but my brain had trouble communicating to my fingers. When I searched Kolpack, Dave's name didn't come up. Doesn't he mostly do hard news now anyways? Just for the record I think Jeff does a fantastic job

Bisonguy
03-31-2004, 05:02 AM
Jeff will have a feature in The Forum tomorrow about a former Bison athlete.

bisononce
03-31-2004, 10:13 PM
Bisonguy,
The book is "Bison Football - Three Decades of Excellence." Published 1992. Very interesting with compelling anecdotes and history. Book on the Turk's shelf is autographed "...once a Bison always a Bison - Ed Kolpack." Would like to see Kolpack Jr. do an addendum, 1993 to the present...

NDSU_grad
03-31-2004, 10:17 PM
Does anybody know where you can get that book?

bisononce
03-31-2004, 10:40 PM
It seems this topic on where to get the Kolpack book came up before on these boards. Was not the answer - contact Jeff Kolpack? Can anybody verify this?

Trainer
03-31-2004, 11:18 PM
Email or call Jeff.... Even though the book is no longer in production, I believe Jeff's mother may still have a few copies. Jeff Kolpack's mom is just an absolutely delightful lady.

BisonMav
03-31-2004, 11:33 PM
Maybe someone at the sports memorabilia show at the Spring game will have a copy for sale.

KTF
04-01-2004, 12:28 AM
I have that book ("Bison Football -Three Decades of Excellence"). I bought it this fall on ebay from a used bookstore in Bismarck. I tried to get it from the Varsity Mart but the guy that worked there said the publication company went under in '95 or so. He had acutally worked for the company and helped produce them. I had to wait about a year before I was able to find my copy. The book is absolutely great, when you get a copy, you will thoroughly enjoy it. Good Luck in the hunt!!

tony
04-01-2004, 07:06 PM
D'oh! I had asked Jeff K. about this a year ago and forgot all about it.

I just sent an email to Jeff's mom asking if she had any copies she'd be willing to sell.

Herd_Mentality
04-01-2004, 08:23 PM
The Only book harder to find...

"The Explosive Veer Offense For Winning Football"
by Jim Wacker & Don Morton