PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting News?

TC.Bison
01-31-2004, 08:43 PM
Is it just me or are there fewer verbal commitments that have been reported than this time last year?

I could be wrong...perhpas it was a little later. I just remember all of the articles on the Chicago area recruits.

Maybe I just need to be patient.

SDSU fans-
Is there much recruiting news for SDSU?

Bisonguy
01-31-2004, 09:05 PM
I think the recruiting class will be just fine. Six recruits for sure, two JUCO transfers that we know of, and there are others out there that haven't verballed, but are rumored to have committed (Heckendorf, etc.).

I think in future years we may know even less until signing day, as the recruiting targets will be getting offers from I-A's and might not commit until after sigining day (I think that happens to Montana a lot).

Signing day is next week, so we'll find out more then.

tony
01-31-2004, 10:35 PM
There are a lot fewer reports this year but the new coaching staff may just go about things differently.

I'd take any rumors on the UND board with a grain of salt :)

Bisonguy
01-31-2004, 10:46 PM
I'd take any rumors on the UND board with a grain of salt :)

more like a pound ;)

JACKGUY
02-01-2004, 03:18 AM
This is what I have learned thus far on Jacks 2004 Football recruits:
Verbal Committments:
Jaron Harris RB Sioux Falls Washington
Brock Gentile RB 5'11 180 Council Bluffs Ia
Zac Brouillette DB 6"3 215 Ia 4.6 40
Tom Neneman LB 6'2 200 Omaha North (All Nebraska LB)
Ruey Dei LB 6'4 200 Omaha Burke
Eric Schroeder DE 6'4 240 Stewartsville,Mn
Kevin Robling 6'3 250 OL Jordan,MN

Still in the running for the following:
Brian Panning 6'4 270 Chaska OL
Matt Elko 6'5 280 Chaska OL
Matt Storlie 6'6 240 Byron,MN DE/TE
Ashland Grady RB Des Moines,IA

I'm sure there are a number of South Dakota athletes but have not heard much. We seem to be focused on South Dakota,Minnesota,Iowa and Nebraska and usually find an athlete or two from Florida. We don't seem to be in Wisconsin or Illinois like the Bison. Should be interesting who we both end up with.

roadwarrior
02-01-2004, 08:12 AM
I heard that there was a recruit from Florida in Fargo this weekend for a visit. Yikes! -22 was the high on friday.

tony
02-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Hahahaha! Recruits might as well see what Fargo can be like.

Bisonfan1234
02-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Heh...they probably froze solid in mid-air when they were getting off the plane.

mojobison
02-01-2004, 07:00 PM
Let's hope they took in some basketball games.

wfduck
02-01-2004, 10:42 PM
let's not :o

the BSA is not exactly state of the art

Bisonguy
02-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Here's some targets from the Wisonsinpreps site:

Rudy Barlow, Madison West (NDSU, )
Mike Gust, Menomonie, (NDSU, ?)
Jamie Hinker, Greenwood (NDSU, N. Illinois, Minn, Wisc, and Winona)
Dieter Juedes, Sheboygan Falls, (N. Illinois, W. Michigan, Ball State, Winona, SCSU, UMD, NDSU)
Rick Jones, Sheboygan South, (NDSU, N. Illinois, W. Michigan, C. Michigan, W. Illinois)
Heath Gray, Appleton West, (NDSU, Lakeland, Winona)
Rudy Barlow, Madison West, (NDSU, Ball State)
Kole Heckendorf, Mosinee, (North Dakota, ?)

There were two other WI targets that verballed to UNO.

roadwarrior
02-02-2004, 01:50 AM
the duck,

The recruits were at the basketball game on friday night for sure. Yes, the BSA isnt state of the art, but I wouldnt apologize for what they witnessed. A good and rowdy crowd being treated to a pasting of the Sioux.

JACKGUY
02-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Nothing like an instate rivalary to show the recruits how much interest exists in the state. Too bad both UND and USD in our case are too intimidated to continue the rivalary. I'm amazed how well Winona does in Wisconsin.

BisonWarrior
02-03-2004, 07:40 PM
I spoke with a friend of the Belquist's and Alex Belquist has verbally committed to NDSU.

Flintstone
02-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Football or Basketball?

BisonWarrior
02-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Officially football but I think the word was they are going to let him explore the possibilities of basketball also.

Bisonguy
02-04-2004, 03:36 AM
Just done watching FOX sports. Jeremy Jorgenson reported that there will be some kids announced at NDSU's signing day press conference that are not from the region :o ;). He said that some of them are Big 10 caliber athletes that were overlooked by the Big 10 recruiters. Should be an exciting day tomorrow! Somebody with one of those Rivals or Insiders memberships figure out who these Big 10 caliber guys are!

tony
02-04-2004, 04:08 AM
According to the Star Tribune, LB Mike Maresh of Champlin Park committed to NDSU. He's a good one. I remember his highlights from the KARE 11 All-Metro team clip.

Edit: found this quote from a different Star Tribune story (the emphasis is mine):

Champlin Park: Senior Mike Maresh is rated the No. 5 wrestler in the country at 215 pounds by Amateur Wrestling News but he wants to play football in college. Maresh has taken football recruiting trips to Brigham Young University and Northern Iowa the past two weekends. "He's the No. 1 ranked wrestler in the state at his weight and he comes from a wrestling family, so a lot of colleges are not looking at him for football," Rebels coach Mike Korton said. ". . . I've been contacting coaches I know about him. The biggest he got for us was 230 pounds, but he could get a lot bigger and keep his speed [4.6 seconds in the 40]. He could be a very good college player."

Bisonguy
02-04-2004, 04:40 AM
Has there ever been any NDSU football players in recent years that have also wrestled at NDSU? I know there have been football/track and football/basketball players, but don't remember any that have wrestled. *???

It's good to see someone choose NDSU over schools like UNI and BYU. That's the caliber of athlete NDSU needs (DI).

somebison
02-04-2004, 04:42 AM
Has there ever been any NDSU football players in recent years that have also wrestled at NDSU? I know there have been football/track and football/basketball players, but don't remember any that have wrestled. *???

didn't Kelly Greger (DL/HWT) do it for awhile in the Mid-90's?

D
02-04-2004, 04:55 AM
I'm curious whether or not Maresh is a Mormon since he did trip to BYU, and if so, will he take his LDS mission right away and be on scholarship in 2 and a half years or play one or 2 then leave?

Bisonguy
02-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Looks like the Bison will have a Heckendorf next year: Recruit has family tie to Bison nemesis
(http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=49509)

Heckendorf said his decision came down to NDSU and the University of North Dakota.

“Just moving up a level to I-AA helped quite a bit,” he said.

Hmmmmm...............

JBB
02-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Several athletes have said that. *The sorting out of the regional athletes with regard to the D2 NSIC/NCC and regional DI-AA independents has begun.

NDSU_grad
02-04-2004, 01:13 PM
I'm curious whether or not Maresh is a Mormon since he did trip to BYU, and if so, will he take his LDS mission right away and be on scholarship in 2 and a half years or play one or 2 then leave?

Don't you have to be Mormon to attend BYU? It seems like usually they play 2 years, then take their mission and come back. I wouldn't mind having a 24 or 25 year old senior anchoring the linebacking corps in about 6 years.

bisonaudit
02-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Was Jim McManon a mormon?

tony
02-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Hahaaha! No, you do not have to be a Mormon to go to BYU.

tony
02-04-2004, 02:55 PM
There's an NDSU recruit buried in this article: Florida Sun-Sentinel article (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-browlist04feb04,0,4241471.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines)

KTF
02-04-2004, 03:42 PM
From that article, I would assume that he would be playing DB at SU?

Bison_Kent
02-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Brian Rabb is the name listed in the article. I found a picture of him (not the best from the backside). He is #7. He must have been one of the captains from what the picture shows.

He is a 5'10, 171 lb from Davie Nova (Florida). I would guess that he would be a cornerback.

http://www.novahigh.com/Main/1.html

scsufan
02-04-2004, 05:53 PM
You guys got a good one in Heckendorf. If he is anything like Keith you not only got a student/athlete but a good person.

Bisonfan1234
02-04-2004, 08:56 PM

LOL! I hope this isn't some desperate attempt to bring down the fact that we're getting a Big Ten caliber recruit .

You can be ANY religion and still go to BYU and play sports. So you can go there and NOT be a morman.

WYOBISONMAN
02-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Living in SW Wyoming I am pretty familiar with BYU and there are damn few non-mormons on any team at BYU.

D
02-04-2004, 09:07 PM
LOL! I hope this isn't some desperate attempt to bring down a Big Ten caliber recruit that we're getting.

You can be ANY religion and still go to BYU and play sports. So you can go there and NOT be a morman.

Where was there any attempt to bring him down, unless the word curious is offensive.

Bisonfan1234
02-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Not bring him down... bring down the fact that we're getting him.

We are! Ha ha!!!

D
02-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Not bring him down... bring down the fact that we're getting him.

We are! Ha ha!!!

Way to go, I have no idea where I said anything that could be misconstrued by even the biggest moron in the world as offending the player or NDSU in that post.

Bisonfan1234
02-04-2004, 11:47 PM
Why then would you question our recruits commitment to the team on our own board?

Perhaps if i post something to the effect "i'm curious if Dale Lennon is planning to skip town now that the team's real head coach (Schweigert) is gone?" on Siouxsports, you'll understand how we feel.

Bisonguy
02-05-2004, 12:37 AM
From the WDAY 6:00 sports

Sounds like 10 recruits would not have committed to NDSU if it wasn't for the DI move.

12- the number of sholies for the recruits. Scholies should be at 54 total next year.

Bisonfan1234
02-05-2004, 01:38 AM
56 you mean...the goal is 56-60-63

We can always boost the scholorships of the upperclassmen as well.

somebison
02-05-2004, 01:48 AM
56 you mean...the goal is 56-60-63

We can always boost the scholorships of the upperclassmen as well.

I just watched the WDAY news online and they said 54 total for next year... maybe they are going 54-63-63... also he said 12/15 recruits will have full rides.

D
02-05-2004, 05:03 AM
Why then would you question our recruits commitment to the team on our own board?

Perhaps if i post something to the effect "i'm curious if Dale Lennon is planning to skip town now that the team's real head coach (Schweigert) is gone?" on Siouxsports, you'll understand how we feel.

Perhaps you should reread the original post. I asked if anyone knew if he was Mormon and if so, if anyone knew if LDS mission plans. At no point was anything written that could be taken as offensive in even the smallest regard, it was a very valid question that I'm willing to bet a portion of the posters who read about him tripping to BYU thought as well. It is odd that no one else has your same thoughts, that others raised the same question after I did. Please review then step off.

Bisonfan1234
02-05-2004, 05:06 AM
You're questioning his commitment to the team by saying some unimportant "mission" is going to cause him to simply take a few years off of football.

D
02-05-2004, 05:20 AM
You're questioning his commitment to the team by saying some unimportant "mission" is going to cause him to simply take a few years off of football.

You obviously have not a clue what Mormonism is. Mormon students are required to take an LDS (which I believe stands for Latter Day Saints) to what is usually a foreign country to spread their faith and work by charity. Refer to BYU, Utah, Utah St's football rosters, you will see a lot of 21 year old freshman, 25 year old seniors. These missions are definetly not "unimportant", they are taken very seriously by the church. No where was his commitment questioned, NDSU_grad had the same thought, get off it. I feel like Jerry Falwell now that I explained that.

WYOBISONMAN
02-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Bisonfan1234....you better drop discussing the Mormon thing because you are proving how clueless you are about it. You need to stick to topics that involve MN and let those of us that are familiar with how being LDS affects an athlete.....and a mission will have a huge impact on an athlete and when they can and will compete.

Better yet, come out of MN and visit the West.....maybe at least get to Bismarck....

Bisonfan1234
02-05-2004, 02:37 PM
You obviously have not a clue what Mormonism is. *Mormon students are required to take an LDS (which I believe stands for Latter Day Saints) to what is usually a foreign country to spread their faith and work by charity. *Refer to BYU, Utah, Utah St's football rosters, you will see a lot of 21 year old freshman, 25 year old seniors. *These missions are definetly not "unimportant", they are taken very seriously by the church. *No where was his commitment questioned, NDSU_grad had the same thought, get off it. *I feel like Jerry Falwell now that I explained that.

LOL! Are you serious?! Or are you just making this up?

Jeez, glad i'm not a morman if it's true.

tony
02-05-2004, 02:48 PM
A guy's religion is his own business.

NDSU_grad
02-05-2004, 03:02 PM

I'm sure you're not nearly as glad as the Church of Latter Day Saints is that you're not a Mormon.

silkamilkamonico
02-06-2004, 12:08 AM

~very true, and very serious, it happens to alot of athletes that attend BYU and are Mormon...BYU actually signed the best kicker(yes kicker, I know its irrelevant ;),
but anyways he wont join the team till next year I believe, he has been on a mission the last 2 years........and to a mormon or alot of people who believe wholeheartedly in God, doing what they feel is a call from the Lord makes something like college football seem trivial.........everyone has their own unique way of looking at the importance of life...

WYOBISONMAN
02-06-2004, 12:10 AM
Well put Silk...

BisonMav
03-04-2004, 12:52 PM
Bison Recruit story from the Pioneer Press:

MIKE MARESH

Weight: 215 pounds

School/year: Champlin Park, senior

Record: 37-0

Skinny: Ranked No. 3 in the country, but was also an all-state linebacker for the Rebels last fall and has signed to play football at North Dakota State. He has won 20 of his 37 victories with pins this season. Has a career record of 127-22, including 52 pins. He lost to cousin Jared Massey at 189 pounds in the first round of the state meet last year.

Answer_Man
03-04-2004, 09:41 PM
North Dakota's Badlands Bowl Roster

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/8100854.htm

somebison
03-15-2004, 11:10 PM
We may be getting a JUCO TE from Arizona (don't have a name)

Bisonfan1234
03-16-2004, 12:33 AM
If the kid is good and not non-serious about playing (see: Frank Irby and Willie Byrd), then fine.

But we actually have plenty of TE's. Delabarre and Arndt are great athletes are should have a great year.

Bison_Kent
03-18-2004, 09:37 PM
The Arizona JUCO rumor is true. Here is the bio on the new signee:

ANDREW (A.J.) COOPER III, Tight End, 6-2, 240, Glendale Community College, Glendale, Arizona--Second team All-Arizona Community College selection and an honorable mention All-Region pick for a Glendale Community College program that went 9-2 last season and won the Valley of the Sun Bowl with a 41-17 decision over Hutchinson Community College of Kansas...Caught 41 passes for 578 yards and eight touchdowns as a sophomore...Played high school ball at Sunnyslope High School in Phoenix, AZ

Bisonguy
03-21-2004, 04:31 AM
Found this on the rivals site:

A.J. Cooper (6-2.5, 225)
TE/HB
Glendale CC, Arizona

A.J. Cooper is a great athlete, who is generating moderate D1A interest based on his talent and performance last season. Cooper started on his state championship basketball team in high school and was on the state runner-up football team. "A.J. was selected as a pre-season NJCAA All-American in 2003 due to the potential he showed during his freshman year. He tallied 40 receptions for more than 600 yards along with leading the team in TD receptions with 8," said GCC assistant coach Rafael Tolentino. A.J. earned second team All-WSFL and can run ""a legit 4.55 in the 40 per Tolentino. "A.J. was mature enough to play X, Y, Z, TE, HB, and FB for us." An official trip to Middle Tennessee State has already been taken.

Bisonfan1234
03-21-2004, 09:54 PM
The Arizona JUCO rumor is true. *Here is the bio on the new signee:

ANDREW (A.J.) COOPER III, Tight End, 6-2, 240, Glendale Community College, Glendale, Arizona--Second team All-Arizona Community College selection and an honorable mention All-Region pick for a Glendale Community College program that went 9-2 last season and won the Valley of the Sun Bowl with a 41-17 decision over Hutchinson Community College of Kansas...Caught 41 passes for 578 yards and eight touchdowns as a sophomore...Played high school ball at Sunnyslope High School in Phoenix, AZ

Sounds good if this is official. This isn't on gobison.com though.

Answer_Man
03-22-2004, 09:53 PM
Hence the reason for Bisonville and Bison Insider :o

Bisonfan1234
03-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Bisonville is HARDLY official.

However, i found the link on the Great West Conference website.

somebison
03-22-2004, 11:13 PM
Here is the GWFC release

http://greatwestfootball.ocsn.com/genrel/032204aab.html

When I heard this rumor initially there was also talk that Arndt may Redshirt.

Bisonfan1234
03-23-2004, 12:03 AM
Arndt is 2 seasons in..how would he redshirt?

He already was redshirted in 2002, i checked.

roadwarrior
03-23-2004, 12:09 AM
This from the 2003 Bison Media Guide:

Derek Arndt - Played as a true freshman at an outside linebacker position when injuries decimated that unit...2002 season: Had the redshirt taken off during the season and played in five games for the Bison at outside linebacker.

Trainer
03-23-2004, 01:02 AM
Derek played in 5 games as a freshman and 3 games last year..... so Mr. Roadwarrior is ABSOLUTELY on the money.

wfduck
03-23-2004, 01:32 AM
no offense but Arndt may not have the moxie to play extensivly at d1aa....IMO

Bisonfan1234
03-23-2004, 01:50 AM
My mistake, he wasn't redshirted in 2002.

Bisonguy
04-03-2004, 04:29 AM
New JuCo:

Alvin Robinson, 6'1" 240 lbs. DL, from Pearl River CC in Mississippi.

Bisonguy
04-03-2004, 05:09 AM
Couldn't find much real info on Alvin Robinson except for this from HS-http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/news/stories/20010831/localsports/934362.html

Looks like he could play on both sides. Maybe he can be used to add some depth at FB???

BisonMav
04-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Here's an article from today's forum.

Bison look south again for recruit
(http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=55246)

Bisonguy
04-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Interesting to see DePolo moving to FB at the bottom of that article.

Trainer
04-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Other than increasing FB numbers for spring drills and finding another spot for some of their athletic LB's, the coaching staff would like to find a way to keep Jangula and Roehl redshirted....