PDA

View Full Version : Spring Game Comments

Bisonguy
04-25-2004, 02:14 AM
Ah, the Spring Game. One last football fix before a four month layoff of news. ;D

Here's the official recap- http://www.gobison.com/mens/football/index.cgi?id=3043

Some of the stats are off. ??? ::) I know some players had more receptions and the Green team had a two point conversion (not the interception). Maybe it's because some players had different numbers than what was on the roster. ???

My thoughts-

The O line for the Gold (first team) showed that some guys are injured and there's inexperience for the replacements at first. They managed to improve as the game progressed. They should be better once they get some time to heal up.

Tony Stauss must have worked on his footspeed in the offseason. While nobody is going to confuse him with Bentrim, he was running the option a LOT better than last year. Overall, looked good.

Walker and Jackson both showed to be capable backup QB's (or WR's ;D). Great mobility and arms for both.

There's plenty of depth at RB. Steffes looked good as expected, Chapman has good speed and power, Moore and Wiese looked good against the #2 D.

I didn't notice much about FB's. Not much for touches, but they were blocking well. ::)

WR's should be loaded, as they were last year and they pretty much all return. White did a very good job with the Gold team, and Dragosavich impressed on the Green team. I hope they get Dragosavich some game time, but with Burrell and Johnson returning after track, WR's might be pressed for time. Nick Jackson (QB) also had a decent game at WR. The TE's looked good.

The D line looked good, but needs to get healthy. Summerville was injured in the game, but I overhead some coaches say he hasn't been 100% pretty much for all of spring ball.

Joe Mays is going to be fun to watch at LB. LB's and DB's looked good, except for whoever was covering Dragosavich on the #2 D.

Special teams- Either Terrance Flemming is a great returner, or the kick coverage wasn't good. Probably a little of both. There were only two punts, so that spot still needs to be decided (Vartanian or Dragosavich). Vartanian had a very nice spiralling punt, and Dragosavich had a long, but lower punt that was kicked beyond the coverage team.

Bob_Holiday
04-25-2004, 03:10 AM
It looks like the Chicago connection is very much for real. Steve Walker will be a starter when his time comes and at least three others will start at some point, in the case of Mays it will probably be right away. He is a specimen. Dragosovitch is going to be special as well as Chapman. I thought Fleming should have had more playing time last year, he will be valuable. On the offensive line for fall, Sanders is really the only question mark, he may not play at all. The rest should be ready and there are some good ones, Hunt, Zilka, Bucky, Popowski et all. I bet the kid from Hettinger that left the team would give his eye teeth to be back at NDSU playing D1 instead of NAIA. If you can find a weakness on offense on this team you win the prize, I don't see any. They are good and very deep. On defense come this fall the defensive line and linebackers should be a strength. The defensive backfield may be the only semi weakness on this team. I can hardly wait.
Go Bison,
Bob Holiday

Bison_Dan
04-25-2004, 02:25 PM
I agree with Bob - I think the freshmen will contribute alot this season. May and Chapman are special. I too think that the DB's will be the only weakness on this team next year. ;D ;D ;D

Bison_Baller
04-25-2004, 02:29 PM
How about that massive crack back block at the end of the second quater!!!! That even knocked the wind out me.

Joe Mays did look very impressive, to bad he got kicked out for spiking the ball after his INT. Someone also should tell him that you are not supposed to rush the punter in the spring game. But no one ever said he was the sharpest knife in the drawer ;)

insane_ponderer
04-25-2004, 04:59 PM
i gotta agree with bob, joe mays is an absolute beast...looks like his arms swallowed bowling balls, chapman looked good as well and i was glad to see steffes run the ball well, hopefully he is back to full speed. I really like daunte pettis...he brings alot of attitude to the table and his old safety skills showed thru on that monster hit he layed on one of the corners.

i went to the game last year and the corners looked weak then as well, stauss has a tendency to make them look bad, but as long as bobby babich is a starting corner i will worry about the db situation.

Bisonfan1234
04-25-2004, 11:38 PM
Pettis had a big hit, but I think that may be the biggest thing he's done for the football team yet.

That and he plays three sports (nevermind that he doesn't travel for track and is last string in bball) so I don't think he fully concentrates on football.

Also, I think it was Travis Ware that blocked the punt.

However, the Green team still would've won since they kicked a field goal which would've made the score 33-30.

tony
04-26-2004, 05:43 AM
Just got back from Fargo!

I missed almost the entire first quarter and didn't even get a chance to pick up a program. Can somebody tell me which positions were Eric Miller and Jake Johnson playing?

Looks like I got the same impressions you guys did though. Only thing I'd say in addition is that Rodney Thompson really impressed me - he kept with plays. The receivers, especially White, were very good too - don't remember any dropped balls.

Bison_Dan
04-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Jake is playing LB and Miller is SS. ;D ;D

tony
04-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Thanks.

How about David Earl? Sounded like he was playing defense instead of quarterback.

Bison_Dan
04-26-2004, 08:18 PM
David Earl is switched to D and is listed as CB.

teamsioux
04-26-2004, 10:39 PM
How is Kyle Steffes doing? Will he be fully recovered?

Bisonguy
04-26-2004, 11:01 PM
How is Kyle Steffes doing? Will he be fully recovered?

He looked pretty good at the Spring Game. It was a broken bone, not ligament damage, so he should be fully recovered and not have that "ACL, MCL, whateverCL" thought in the back of his head. Bad example, but Miller or Beatty from UND comes to mind for that. Unfortunately, a bad knee ligament injury can end up being more of a mental thing than anything else. :-/

whatever_
04-27-2004, 07:07 AM
I was not able to make it to the spring game, anyone know what the attendance was?

BisonMav
04-27-2004, 01:26 PM
It was hard to estimate, people coming and going.
Probably about 1500.

KTF
04-27-2004, 05:16 PM
A large crowd left at half time :(