PDA

View Full Version : New Traveling Trophy

Trainer
04-08-2004, 03:18 PM
As one football rivalry ends, some North Dakota State University students are looking to spice up another.

Members of the Blue Key Honor Society at NDSU have set up a border rendezvous with South Dakota State University on April 21....

Here's the link....
http://22.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=55500&section=News

Bob_Holiday
04-08-2004, 07:24 PM
So whats it going to be? The nickel was such a neat trophy. What can we use thats just as cool. I think something to do with our pioneer heritage (each of the institutions is their states "land grant" college)would be nice. I think a covered wagon bronze sculpture (to signify the home steading period in the early part of the 20th century)would be good. We would be playing for the "covered wagon". If that is too old for some of you guys, how about a water bucket, (play for the "water bucket")to indicate the importance of water to each state. Or a bronze northern pike, the predominant fish in both states watersheds. We would play for the "fish". Face it, the nickel was too neat to be replaced easily.
Go Bison,
Bob Holiday

WYOBISONMAN
04-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Being a walleye fisherman....I would vote for a walleye.

BisonMav
04-08-2004, 07:43 PM
I still liked Teddy Roosevelts "Big Stick". Teddy is on Mt Rushmore in SD and has a National Park in ND.

89rabbit
04-08-2004, 08:08 PM
I still liked Teddy Roosevelts "Big Stick". *Teddy is on Mt Rushmore in SD and has a National Park in ND.

I too would like to play for the "Big Stick"!

Bob_Holiday
04-08-2004, 08:31 PM
The "Big Stick" is a great idea. Much better than my newest idea, a pewter prairie chicken, to signify our outdoor heritage. We'd play for the "Chicken".
Go Bison,
Bob Holiday

Junior
04-08-2004, 08:38 PM
How about a replical of one of the markers that were placed every mile along the border between North and South Dakota. The university seal could be placed on each side with a place the mark the year it was won below or on the other two sides.

BisonMav
04-08-2004, 08:52 PM
http://www.capitalcentury.com/bigstick.jpg

JBB
04-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Damn funny. But I say the Nickel doesnt mean a thing. Its scrap metal. Whos going to pine for its gloried and storied past? If nothing else it should be returned to Blue Key. They bought and paid for it. Of course it is his preciousssss!

Theres a boarder meeting called. Hope they dont raise too much hell. ::)

Junior
04-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Actually, given the opportunity, I would try to buy the nickel. But that will never happen. I have a feeling 'Nick' will be back again some day.

Anyone have any ideas for a name for the game between NDSU and SDSU? It would be cool to have a catchy name to go along with the traveling trophy.

Bisonguy
04-09-2004, 01:08 AM
Anyone have any ideas for a name for the game between NDSU and SDSU? *It would be cool to have a catchy name to go along with the traveling trophy. *

The Dakotas Classic or The Big Stick Classic.

BisonBizzo
04-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Here's Kolpack's column:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=55535&section=Sports

This is crap! Why is it when some new idea arises that really doesn't harm any party or individual, a sports writer comes along and makes a joke out of it? He must be desperate for getting a column out today, because this is horrible. I thought Kolpack was better than this.

JBB
04-09-2004, 02:37 PM
I agree. *The Nickel is dead. *Forget it. *I dont know how many BISON fans are sitting around wishing and hoping for the day we play them again, but dont count me among them. *

This years freshman wont participate in any competition between the schools and in five years most students will have never seen them play us. *Truly, at that time nobody will have ever heard of them. *In 8 yrs, when the GWFC is auto bid to the DI-AA playoffs we will have much bigger fish to fry than a D2 school.

Whether we play them again or not, who cares? *Its not something on my radar scope, they have nothing to offer us. *I would rather have a home home with Northern Iowa.

If they want to play us let them approach us, with hat in hand like any small college seeking a game with a DI school. *Thats the way it is now. *The Nickel is yesterdays news. *Its in the past.

rocky
04-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Well said!

Hammerhead
04-20-2004, 09:09 PM
The big stick sounds good to me. The best idea I came up with was a big bag of Dakota Kid sunflower seeds. :-[

Bison_Dan
04-20-2004, 09:25 PM
The big stick sounds good to me. The students won't know anything about the nickle in 5 years and most fans in 10 will have forgotten about it. Every year und keeps it, it will disminish in stature and be insignificant before very long. ;D ;D ;D

JBB
04-20-2004, 10:06 PM
The first year und - who the heck are they anyway, never heard of them - got the nickel it was diminished in value. *Has St. Johns ever won it? *Who gets to play for it anyway? *What is it? *Never heard of it!*8)

Bisonguy
04-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Looks like there will be a new trophy. From The Grand Forks Herald (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/8471758.htm):

A new rivalry

North Dakota State and South Dakota State will kickoff their upcoming NCAA Division I rivalry by announcing a new traveling trophy for the winner of the annual Bison-Jackrabbit football game.

The announcement will be made Wednesday on the North Dakota-South Dakota state line.

Guests will include NDSU president Joseph Chapman, SDSU president Peggy Miller, athletic directors and football coaches from both schools.

The event, scheduled for 11:30 a.m., is open to fans of both schools. To attend, take North Dakota Exit 1 off of I-29, drive west one-half mile to the large tent on the south side of the road.

89rabbit
04-20-2004, 11:52 PM
I think it is great that they are doing this at the boarder. *I hope they already have the trophy made, it would be nice for the trophy to get to visit North Dakota once.*;) *Let the games begin!

Go SDSU!

roadwarrior
04-21-2004, 12:40 AM
rabbit, the trophy isnt for basketball.... ;)

Bisonguy
04-21-2004, 01:08 AM
I think it is great that they are doing this at the boarder. *I hope they already have the trophy made, it would be nice for the trophy to get to visit North Dakota once.*;) *Let the games begin!

Go SDSU!

It would be nice for the trophy to make a visit to North Dakota, before the inaugural game that makes the campus of NDSU it's permanent residence. ;D ;)

89rabbit
04-21-2004, 01:13 AM
rabbit, the trophy isnt for basketball.... ;)

Whathe, well that changes everything! ;)

Lets go Rabbits!

IowaBison
04-21-2004, 01:45 AM
they're shaping the trophy like one of the markers that marks the border?

what happened to the rabbit with bison sized testicles?

Junior
04-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Here is a link to the In-Forum article.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=56300§ion=news

Hmm, where did I hear the idea about the border marker trophy? ;)

It was a lucky guess. ;D

Posted by: Junior Posted on: Apr 8th, 2004, 2:38pm
How about a replical of one of the markers that were placed every mile along the border between North and South Dakota. The university seal could be placed on each side with a place the mark the year it was won below or on the other two sides.

airmail
04-21-2004, 10:52 PM
what happened to the rabbit with bison sized testicles?

Now THAT would be a great trophy! :D

Bisonguy
04-21-2004, 11:26 PM
The official name is "The Dakota Marker". It will be interesting to see what the official version ends up looking like.

89rabbit
04-22-2004, 07:20 AM
Here is parts of the story from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Thursdayarticle1.shtml

SDSU's football rivalry with NDSU gains a name, trophy
By Jeremy Fugleberg
For the Argus Leader

published: 4/22/2004

The South Dakota State football team has something new to play for next season: The Dakota Marker.

A stand of trees and shrubs on the wind-swept border between North Dakota and South Dakota played host Wednesday to a new beginning in the football rivalry between the Jackrabbits and North Dakota State.

Students, athletes, and administrators from both schools met just yards away from a historic red quartzite marker at the border to announce efforts to increase the sports feud between the two football teams.

Both schools are moving to Division I next season in all sports - except football where both will play in Division I-AA. The schools are founding members in the six-team, football-only Great West Football Conference. NDSU travels to Brookings for a football game on Oct. 9.

The marker on the border will serve as a model for the new "Dakota Marker," which will be a travelling trophy for the NDSU-SDSU football series.

"We feel strongly that this marker represents the history of both the states and will serve as a great rivalry trophy for many years to come," said NDSU student Adam Jones, who is president of the Blue Key Honor Society and is credited with coming up with the idea.

The cost of the trophy will be split between the Blue Key group and the SDSU Students Association.

Daniel Mostad, NDSU student body president, said declaring the rivalry made sense because so many SDSU Jackrabbit and NDSU Bison football fans already travel between the two cities for games. . . .

Fred Oien, SDSU athletic director, said the rivalry announcement and the marker were perfect moves.

"I think absolutely the students hit this one on the head," he said. "It's got appropriateness, it represents the history of our two states (and) it marks borders, which is part of a rivalry. They could've picked a better symbol. . . .

SDSU President Peggy Gordon Miller said the games would be "the rivalry of the territory" . . .

"You're taking a first step--you're being the pioneers that your ancestors were," she said. "You know how to be pioneers, you have the history of it and you know what great success comes from courage and determination and quality." . . .

The border markers' history goes back to 1891 when a surveyor named Charlie Bates was hired to mark the border between the two states, according to published reports.

The quartzite columns were quarried in Sioux Falls and carved into columns 7 feet long and 10 inches square. The markers were sunk into the grounds so only about 4 feet showed and were marked "N.D." on their north sides and "S.D." on their south sides.

Bates placed the 720 monuments every mile and at section corners on the border.

Jones said the both groups of students are working to find someone who will make the trophy. But the design is still up in the air because a true quartzite replica would weigh almost 500 lbs. . .

NDSU President Daniel Chapman said the rivalry shows the strength of both schools.

"It's going to be a time of transformation for the way that the country view these two universities," he said. "We're emerging on the national scene as models of contemporary land-grant universities.

This is a time when our students have come forward and shown us the way to market and move forward on the national scene on a whole other area for us: Division I athletics."

Hammerhead
04-22-2004, 05:53 PM
Here's what one of the real markers look like:

http://jidanni.org/geo/us_can1994/images/19940805nsdak.jpg

Texas_Jacks_Fan
04-22-2004, 06:24 PM
"Rivalry of the Territory" I like that. I am happy to see the publicity this is getting. Did everyone notice the grass is nicer on the SD side?? ;D ;D

BisonMav
04-22-2004, 06:38 PM
*Did everyone notice the grass is nicer on the SD side?? ;D ;D
It's not mowed. *;)

IowaBison
04-23-2004, 12:03 AM
we're playing for a five foot tall chinese lady?

IowaBison
04-23-2004, 12:04 AM
the grass is greener is south dakota because it's regularly covered in horse shit.

ralph
04-23-2004, 12:12 AM
SDSU release:
http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=56717

GWFC release:
http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=56727

Junior
04-23-2004, 04:36 AM
And who says this won't be a rivalry....

Trimmy
04-23-2004, 05:42 AM

Good one.

GFBisonFan
04-23-2004, 05:15 PM

Good one.

I agree, I laughed out loud hard at that one.

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah
05-04-2004, 05:35 PM
I agree. *The Nickel is dead. *Forget it. *

If they want to play us let them approach us, with hat in hand like any small college seeking a game with a DI school. *Thats the way it is now. *The Nickel is yesterdays news. *Its in the past.

And this is why NDSU is begging UND to play them? OH I see because you have your hat in your hand asking D-2 schools to play YOU!

Bison_Dan
05-04-2004, 05:51 PM
The nickel is dead - I wonder how the how loud the echo will be in the alerus in a couple of years! ::) ::)

JBB
05-04-2004, 06:12 PM
und? Never heard of you, unless your that small college in northern North Dakota that plays St. Johns, schools like that you know.

Nickel? whats that five pennies?

NDSU_grad
05-04-2004, 06:26 PM
And this is why NDSU is begging UND to play them? *OH I see because you have your hat in your hand asking D-2 schools to play YOU!

I think any I-AA school would beg Notre Dame to play them, just for the guarantee.

filbert
05-05-2004, 06:47 AM
the grass is greener is south dakota because it's regularly covered in horse shit.
That would be our new women's equestrian program...hurry up and start yours, will ya? We're only three schools away from offering an national championship in equestrian . . .