PDA

View Full Version : D1 or D1AA?

Bisonfan1234
06-14-2004, 02:38 AM
As you all know there are three classifications for D1 schools: D1A for big-sized football schools, D1AA for mid-sized football schools, and D1AAA for non football schools.

So, would you officially call NDSU a D1 school or a D1AA school? I know we are nothing like the U of MN, for example, and we're also nothing like the U of Denver and yet those are technically all D1 schools.

With that being said, I have no problem calling ourselves a D1AA school. It's still a step above D2 and lets people know what we're about.

Bisonguy
06-14-2004, 02:46 AM
NDSU is a DI (there's no such thing as D1) school whose football program competes at the DI-AA level.

Bisonfan1234
06-14-2004, 04:12 AM
The NCAA is a power-greedy authoritarian agency who cares more amount the semantics of their titles than they do about their athletes.

With that said, I purposely continue to use D1 instead of DI to thumb my nose at them.

So at the university of Denver they say: UD is a D1 school whose football program competes at the D1AAA level?

If that is really how they wanted you to think of the titles, then they wouldn't even bother with D1AAA.

I have no problem simply saying NDSU is a D1 school. However, I don't like to say that we're both D1 and D1AA. It just creates confusion and is redundant.

Bisonguy
06-14-2004, 04:23 AM
So at the university of Denver they say: UD is a D1 school whose football program competes at the D1AAA level?

Great example of the DI label in use. I'm sure they simply say Denver is DI, with no mention of DI-AAA. Therefore, NDSU is simply DI.

JBB
06-14-2004, 12:17 PM
What do you say during basketball season, baseball, track, in fact all other sports? It must depend on the sport your playing? I would actually prefer NDSU play DI football too, but for the forseeable future that is impossible. Many of you have read my plan. I hope it comes true.

89rabbit
06-14-2004, 02:40 PM
NDSU is a D-I school that plays football at the I-AA level. Just like UND is a D-II school that plays Hockey at the D-I level. Do you think when Georgetown or Villanova one their respective NCAA Men's Basketball Championship that they said that they were I-AA? No they said correctly that they are D-I.

So, to sum it up, NDSU and SDSU are the only D-I schools in their states. North Dakota has one D-I school and a D-II school that plays one sport at the D-I level (as allowed by NCAA rules) in the NCAA eyes.

Go State! ;D

WYOBISONMAN
06-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Welcome back 1234. it has been very quiet this past month ;).

IowaBison
06-14-2004, 05:53 PM
....i'd almost forgotten that the Mid-Con is the greatest conference in DI or is it D1 or is it DIAA or D1AA or DIaa or D1aa........

Bisonfan1234
06-14-2004, 08:49 PM
I understand that NDSU is a D1 school who's football team plays at D1AA.

But again I ask: why even bother making the title D1AAA for school that don't have football?

UD is not going to say "our football team competes at the D1AAA level which means we have none".

I think that if you were to say NDSU is a D1AA school then people will realize that the D1AA part means football and the rest is D1 (since they have no A's). The same would work for calling UD a D1AAA school.

Since football is by far the most popular sport in America and the largest revenue producing sport in the NCAA, it makes perfect sense to administratively label schools by the level that their football program plays.

With that said, from now on, whenever someone asks, I'm saying NDSU is a D1AA school and UND is a D2 school.

IowaBison
06-14-2004, 10:01 PM
i think we might be getting caught up in semantics here.

i'm pretty sure the big sky schools think of themselves as DI, somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

(though i'm sure that when a guy from Montana goes to Washington State, the Cougar fan tells him that he has DIAA football)

tony
06-14-2004, 10:18 PM
If I'm talking to somebody about football, I'd say NDSU is a DI-AA school. If talking about basketball or any other sport, I'd say DI. If talking about the athletic department as a whole, DI is more accurate, but if it gives you shivers of delight to call NDSU a "D-One Double A" school, who am I to judge? BTW, Bisonfan1234, you'll have to explain to people you are talking to that you are using the Arabic 1 and not the Roman numeral I, or they might not get your subtle shot at the "power-greedy authoritarian agency" known at the NCAA. Then again, I laugh out loud at Citibank commercials so it's not like I should be viewed as an authority on anything much at all :).

However, I'm seriously considering, out of respect to Ralph at I-AA.org turning on the "naughty word" detector to translation D1 into DI automatically, so be warned.

bisonranch
06-14-2004, 11:09 PM
Exciting topic. Must be the off season.

Bisonfan1234
06-15-2004, 12:04 AM
I'll space the D and 1 if I'll have to beat a filter.

It's not like I find some large fallacy in using the "both D1 and D1AA" philosophy. I just find it more confusing and redundent when talking to the average fan about NDSU.

NDSU is D1AA to me. Minnesota is D1A, Marquette is D1AAA, UND is D2, and Concordia is D3.

Then, of course, there is the NJCAA and NAIA.

89rabbit
06-15-2004, 12:28 AM
I just find it more confusing and redundent when talking to the average fan

NDSU is D1AA to me. Minnesota is D1A, Marquette is D1AAA, UND is D2, and Concordia is D3.

Your right, that is far less confusing and redudent then just saying that Minnesota, NDSU, and Marquette are D-I, UND is D-II, and Concordia is D-III. ::)

Go State! ;D

NDSU_grad
06-15-2004, 02:38 AM
If I'm talking to somebody about football, I'd say NDSU is a DI-AA school. If talking about basketball or any other sport, I'd say DI. If talking about the athletic department as a whole, DI is more accurate, but if it gives you shivers of delight to call NDSU a "D-One Double A" school, who am I to judge? BTW, Bisonfan1234, you'll have to explain to people you are talking to that you are using the Arabic 1 and not the Roman numeral I, or they might not get your subtle shot at the "power-greedy authoritarian agency" known at the NCAA. Then again, I laugh out loud at Citibank commercials so it's not like I should be viewed as an authority on anything much at all :).

However, I'm seriously considering, out of respect to Ralph at I-AA.org turning on the "naughty word" detector to translation D1 into DI automatically, so be warned.

I find this whole thread ludicrous, so I figured I'd take it completely off topic. Those Citibank commercials annoy the complete crap out of me, but I do have to give them credit (no pun intended) about their anit-theft claims. When I had a Citibank card I bought gas twice in the same day once, which apparently was enough to sound the alarm. I had a representative call me that evening to verify my spending.

Bisonfan1234
06-15-2004, 04:53 AM
Your right, that is far less confusing and redudent then just saying that Minnesota, NDSU, and Marquette are D-I, UND is D-II, and Concordia is D-III. *::)

Go State! *;D

I don't mind that either.

But no one here is willing to say NDSU is D1 without then saying they're D1AA in football.

I just wanted to pick one or the other and D1AA sounds more practical to me because it conveys more information.

runtheoption
06-15-2004, 01:16 PM
It would be much easier to identify what level of football is being played if each class had its own standardized color of Fieldturf covering every inch of available space.

IowaBison
06-15-2004, 01:28 PM
I find this whole thread ludicrous, so I figured I'd take it completely off topic. *Those Citibank commercials annoy the complete crap out of me, but I do have to give them credit (no pun intended) about their anit-theft claims. *When I had a Citibank card I bought gas twice in the same day once, which apparently was enough to sound the alarm. *I had a representative call me that evening to verify my spending.

when my wife and i were moving to iowa from dc i used my discover card to pay for gas, upon arriving in ames, i had a call from their conspiracy watchers who wanted to know why i used my card in six different states

and they KNEW i was moving, they had my new number and address as well as the dates!

JBB
06-15-2004, 04:18 PM
You should be glad. I had $5,000 taken out of a credit card of mine and I still had it in my wallet when I got the bill. They could get up to $1,500 per day in cash withdrawls for a Bank in North Minneapolis. I could only get $200. It took them about 7 days to get to the $5,000 limit. I didnt have to pay a cent.

Your only liable for $50 on a stolen credit card if your punctual in reporting its theft or abuse. On a debit card you are liable 100%. Use credit cards!

Bison7925
06-15-2004, 05:54 PM
It would be much easier to identify what level of football is being played if each class had its own standardized color of Fieldturf covering every inch of available space. *

What color would you suggest for
DI
DIAA
DII
DIII

;D

Bisonfan1234
06-15-2004, 08:48 PM
Since we've moved completely off topic (fine with me since I made up my mind to call NDSU a D1AA school), I have had a thought about fieldturf colors.

As I'm sure most of you know, Boise State has the only non-grass colored field turf and I think it looks great and really makes the stadium feel significantly more friendly to the Broncos. I think in the future we should start expecting to see more non-grass colored fields.

The possibilities are endless so long as the lines stand out.

NDSU could do green with yellow lines.
SDSU blue/yellow, UNC d. blue/gold, UCD blue/gold, Cal Poly green/gold, and SUU red/white.

I could also invision LSU doing purple/yellow, OK st. doing black/orange, etc.

I wish I would've gotten into the fieldturf business a long time ago because it won't be 10 years when every pro and college stadium in the US and Canada has it as their surface.

Junior
06-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Make sure you match the seats with the turf...

JK ;)

roadwarrior
06-15-2004, 11:03 PM
OH NO! Dont start with the seats again ;D

Bisonguy
06-15-2004, 11:21 PM
I have concerns about the pigments used to color the FieldTurf may sacrifice the integrity of the playing surface.

Trimmy
06-16-2004, 12:53 AM
Why not paint everything, uniforms, helmets, and football included, in neon. Then use blacklights in the FFD. It'd be like Galactic Bowling!

runtheoption
06-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Since we've moved completely off topic (fine with me since I made up my mind to call NDSU a D1AA school), I have had a thought about fieldturf colors.

As I'm sure most of you know, Boise State has the only non-grass colored field turf and I think it looks great and really makes the stadium feel significantly more friendly to the Broncos. I think in the future we should start expecting to see more non-grass colored fields.

The possibilities are endless so long as the lines stand out.

NDSU could do green with yellow lines.
SDSU blue/yellow, UNC d. blue/gold, UCD blue/gold, Cal Poly green/gold, and SUU red/white.

I could also invision LSU doing purple/yellow, OK st. doing black/orange, etc.

I wish I would've gotten into the fieldturf business a long time ago because it won't be 10 years when every pro and college stadium in the US and Canada has it as their surface.

I wish you were in fieldturf business, too! *I can picture it now---every park, golf course, town center and school playground covered with Fieldturf. *What a wonderful Bisonfan1234 world we would all live in!.

Bisonfan1234
06-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Even residential homes can use the surface instead of grass.

Never have to mow it and it stay green (or whatever color you want) all year round.

BisonInTexas
06-17-2004, 04:08 AM
Nothing like the smell of dew on plastic and rubber as you walk out with your coffee to pick up your paper off of your beautiful field turf lawn in the morning...

And in the summers in the afternoon, you can enjoy the 130 degree surface temperatures as you gaze lovingly at your "better than grass" lawn.

Ah, yes, what a wonderful 1234 world!

;D

Bison7925
06-17-2004, 01:14 PM
That's good smack ;D

Bisonfan1234
06-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Obviously the rubber infill is left out for the residential use.

Unless of course you're looking for that performance edge while gardening (or whatever it is you people do).

The reason the surface gets hot is because of the black rubber infill too. So without that, it won't be hotter than grass.

Why they hell would you be outside in 90+ degree heat anyway?

BisonMav
06-17-2004, 08:11 PM

Unless of course you're looking for that performance edge while gardening (or whatever it is you people do).

The reason the surface gets hot is because of the black rubber infill too. So without that, it won't be hotter than grass.

Better than being outside in -20 degrees.

BisonInTexas
06-17-2004, 10:19 PM

Without the rubber infill, you could gaze out lovingly at your millions of plastic blades laying completely flat on its concrete base on your front lawn. Perfect for playing tag with the kids!

I think you need to step outside more often in the summer anyway (regardless of temperature) if you think that artificial turf (which is what field turf is without the rubber infill) is as cool as grass in the sun. The fresh air would do you some good...

;D

NDSU_grad
06-17-2004, 10:38 PM
The reason the surface would get hot is a) low thermal conductivity under the surface. This would allow the surface itself to get very hot regardless of color, and b) it's dry. Plants transpire, leading to cooling. Rubber does not.

I suppose people could just lightly water their artificial lawn about 12 times a day, making it a little cooler.
And of course you would always have to consider flood control. If you thought the flood of 97 was bad just wait until of Fargo is covered with fieldturf and all precipitation is intercepted and not allowed to percolate into the soil. Should make for fun times.

Bisonfan1234
06-18-2004, 03:54 AM
The turf wouldn't be put on concrete, just laid on the soil.

And no, it wouldn't just lay on its side without the infill.

Also, I have a hard time believing water can't penetrate through the turf to the drains in outdoor fields.