PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating

airmail
02-13-2004, 07:51 PM
What is the status of NDSU tailgating? I hadn't heard anything for a while, and was wondering if some steps were being taken to improve on a dismal situation last year. Or is the admin "letting sleeping dogs lie" for a while?

Bisonguy
02-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Haven't heard anything, other than a committee was formed and investigating options. I think there were hoping to come up with a resolution by spring (whenever that is here).

Junior
02-14-2004, 12:15 AM
I hope NDSU and the City of Fargo work together to promote Bison athletics ,and the city for that matter, and not hinder it. Maybe NDSU should hire some new P.R. people to help put addtional fun and excitement into the games. Promote the whole city, get people to spend the weekend. NDSU could learn a lot from Montana. Tailgating there was amazing!

Tuk
02-14-2004, 06:25 AM
All I can say is that the prohibition-like attitude some people have definitely drives many nuts. I don't drink, but I don't think it is my place to force others to not drink. I guess if alcohol is outlawed, then is smoking next?

I guess I think there is a clear line (under 21 do not drink), and think there can be a clear set of regulations to curb minors while still allowing the "grown-ups" to have a beer or two before the game. NDSU needs to attract more diehard fans, and outlawing alcohol surely will not help that endeavor.

JBB
02-14-2004, 02:39 PM
The old Dacotah Field is a controlled area. A beer garden with bands food stands, craft booths and student displays or whatever could be set up. It would be a pretty cool deal and an admission could be charged. It would tie in nicely to the BISON feeds in the BSA. Somebody should talk to Campus Attractions. They know how to throw a party. One thing that would really make a lot of money would a dunking booth with a sue fool encouraging everyone to throw a few softballs and try and dunk them.

bisononce
02-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Very good ideas. The Sue booth would be a HIT! We also need a pep squad - like St. John's group of clowns... Those boys know how to put down their books on a Saturday and really have some fun.

Bisonguy
02-14-2004, 05:27 PM
I doubt the Sue booth would have any interest next year. The complete lack of the 'Suck' refrain during the 'Here We Go Bison!' cheer last night is proof enough.

GiantBison12
02-16-2004, 02:08 PM
That is a great idea for Dakota Field. I went to see OU vs Texas AM in Norman a couple of years ago and that is what OU does only spread it out around the hole stadium which would be better, but I understand why we would have to control it. As for the beer, there was no beer sales in the stadium, but there were venders around the stadium. My point is we need to look at the great football atmosphere's, and use some of the ideas to make our own. But I would like to see the activity one day surrounding the stadium as opposed to the controlled environment. A side point the Texas AM band is the best college band I have ever seen. Awesome. It would be great to see the Pride of North Dakota perform like that one day.

GO BISON!!!

Herd_Mentality
02-17-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm not for the Dacotah field concept. Why? Think about it. People are cheap in this town. They whine about every little 1/2 cent sales tax. You'd find not many people would want to go into Dacotah since you wouldn't be able to do your own thing.

It wasn't broke...don't fix it. Leave it as it was, just make it "legal".

Bisonfan1
02-17-2004, 04:11 PM
Im with Herd Mentality on this one, I have to be, I sure dont want to drive the Battlewagon to the game, throw up the flags, then leave it parked to go over to the REAL football field. I prefer to have my own grill going, my choice of beverage etc. There will be a controlled area no doubt, and probably should be the entire west side lot as the best choice. I have no problem with a controlled area that is patrolled if "tailgating" the way it should be is legalized, then nobody has anything to worry about.

GiantBison12
02-17-2004, 05:31 PM
I liked the dacota field idea, because it would be a way to get the people out that dont do the whole tailgating ritual. But I would rather see all that in the dome parking lot. I agree with bisonfan I would rather do it all myself. Getting the non-diehards out and around the die-hards maybe would get them to start their own small gatherings, thus creating a more fun atmosphere for everyone.

JBB
02-17-2004, 05:43 PM
I think it could be in both places. YOu need RV parking anyway and The west lot is great for that. The main Dome lot usually has room, but in the future that may not be true. Let the whole hoggers rent rv space in the west lot. Put the carnival at Dacotah Field. Its just and idea because the main issue is controlling beverage distribution. the Dacotah field site gives you that. Myself I want to bring my RV. I dont think they can enter without a search warrant so Ive got my beverage problem under control already. :)

Herd_Mentality
02-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Just don't call it a "beverage problem"... There never has been a "beverage problem", which is why this whole anti-tailgating thing is ludicrous in the first place.

JBB
02-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Well, wardrobe malfunction doesnt really apply! :D

Herd_Mentality
02-17-2004, 08:32 PM
Top 10 - Reasons Why Having Tailgating W/O Booze is A Good Idea

10. No more worries about drunken fans throwing empty whiskey bottles at Ed Schultz.

9. Everyone under the age of 35 is evil and has no morals.

8. Thundar not fitting into football pants like he used to.

7. Sober TeamMakers won't mistakenly make out donation check for $5000 instead of $50.

6. Crime rate around FargoDome during games will plummet from 0 .... to 0.

5. "Sioux Suck" chants replaced by "Sobriety Sucks".

4. 4 porta-potties for 15,000 fans will now be an acceptable ratio.

3. Easier to shotgun a six-pack at home and drive to the game versus having a few cocktails in the parking lot with friends followed by a 3 hour game.

2. Fans "napping" in the stands are now actually napping.

And Finally....

1. Needed to clear up once and for all what going D1-AA really means.

WYOBISONMAN
02-21-2004, 05:39 AM
That was classic!

Tuk
02-21-2004, 07:38 AM
That are some good reasons.....should send it to Chapman and the "Tailgating Exploratory Taskforce" or whatever its called.....

WYOBISONMAN
02-21-2004, 12:18 PM
In all seriousness.....and having been gone for a while....I have to say that the idea of having Campus Attractions coordinate entertainment like bands etc, and allow tailgating with booze makes the most sense. Folks, it is time for a D1 atmosphere and tailgating with booze is an important part of it all. If you don't like booze.........DON"T BRING ANY!

IowaBison
02-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Maybe the economic argument will eventually hit the city/administration. Responsible consumption of alcohol increases the enjoyable of the entire Saturday football experience for some people, is that a bad thing?

More people will go to games, even games a hometeam is destined to lose if they enjoy their time spent tailgating and cheering. For many a Miller light or two will change not only if they attend a game, but also how much they are willing to pay to attend it.

Herd_Mentality
02-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Mayor "Furnace" was the first too see the top ten... He sat in our section this year. That was on the back of the t-shirts we had made up the day after the controversy started. The front said "SOBER FAN" in huge letters...and in tiny letters beneath it said "Formerly known as Drunk Fan".

JahGriz
02-23-2004, 05:16 PM
I have to chime in to give herd mentality cudos on the top 10 list. ;D

roadwarrior
03-10-2004, 06:18 AM
It looks like we will have tailgating in some form this fall ;D ;D

Check today's Forum

Tuk
03-10-2004, 08:32 AM
[quote author=Tuk link=board=news;num=1076701883;start=15#22 date=03/10/04 at 02:30:31]Here is the link:
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=52322

Booze, football can mix: Tailgating panel votes 8-7 in favor
By Mike Nowatzki *
mnowatzki@forumcomm.com
The Forum - 03/10/2004

Talk about this story

Tailgating with alcohol at North Dakota State University football games appears to be headed closer to reality.

The 15-member NDSU Tailgating Advisory Committee recently voted 8-7 in favor of allowing alcohol in the Fargodome parking lot at Bison football games.

NDSU Athletic Director Gene Taylor cast the deciding vote at the Feb. 25 meeting, according to minutes obtained Tuesday by The Forum.

The committee meets today for the final time to recommend to NDSU President Joseph Chapman if alcohol should be allowed. Existing NDSU policy and city law bans booze from the Fargodome parking lot.

Taylor, the committees chairman, said members have reached a decision, but he refused to divulge it before todays meeting.

We're pretty good as to which direction we're going, he said Tuesday.

The Feb. 25 vote was split largely between members: NDSUs athletic department and sports boosters supported allowing alcohol at games while NDSUs student affairs staff and a Fargo police representative opposed it.

Members were presented with two resolutions at the meeting: one against alcohol at tailgating events and one in favor of it. After a review and discussion, each committee member was asked to vote.

Voting in favor of allowing alcohol were Taylor; Tim Sellnow, an athletic faculty representative; Troy Goergen, assistant director of marketing for NDSU athletics; Joan Deal, former president of the NDSU Team Makers booster club; Holly Bergo, NDSU health educator; Sherri Schmidt, NDSU Alumni Association associate executive director; Rob Sobolik, Fargodome assistant executive director; and student body president Dan Mostad.

Voting against alcohol were Prakash Mathew, NDSUs dean of student life; Laura Oster-Aaland, director of orientation and student life; Karla Thoennes, associate director of NDSU Residence Life; Nona Wood, associate director of student rights; Clayton Neighbors, assistant professor of psychology; Fargo Police Department Sgt. Pat Claus; and NDSU sophomore Jane Vangsness.

Taylor said he will deliver the final recommendation to Chapman no later than Monday, the deadline set by Chapman when he formed the committee Oct. 1.

NDSU spokesman David Wahlberg said he expects Chapman to make a decision next week, although it could take longer. NDSU students are on spring break next week.

Chapman was out of town and unavailable for comment Tuesday. He will not attend todays meeting, Wahlberg said.

If the committee recommends allowing alcohol during tailgating, and Chapman agrees, NDSU will work with Fargo City Attorney Garylle Stewart to ensure the public drinking part of it is consistent with city law, Wahlberg said. Stewart told the committee at its Jan. 14 meeting that the easiest option would be to amend current city ordinance to allow for alcohol during tailgating.

The tailgating issue first arose at the July 8 meeting of the Fargo Liquor Control Committee. Sobolik said hed received calls from people asking about alcohol during tailgating, since many fans drink in the parking lots despite the city and universitys rules.

Before making a decision, the Liquor Control Committee wanted to first discuss the issue with NDSU. The end result was that alcohol would not be allowed and that no changes would be made to university policy or the city ordinance.

Police last fall soon began to monitor the atmosphere prior to NDSU home football games. Officers handed out warnings and brochures explaining the no-drinking policy and law. In at least one instance, revelers were asked to pour out their liquor.

The NDSU committee has met twice a month since October, studying everything from how a decision to allow alcohol would affect underage drinking to how it would impact police coverage and security costs, Taylor said. They also looked at how 40 other universities are handling tailgating, he said.

Members hoped to survey 500 students on the issue, but 140 responded. According to the meeting minutes, two things were evident in the survey:

There is an overwhelming desire for students to consume alcohol.
There is already a concern of underage drinking and overconsumption on campus.

At the committees Feb. 18 meeting, members also discussed a third option -- an off-site location for drinking, such as the Skills & Technology Training Center parking lot just north of the dome and 19th Avenue North.

Taylor said the committee process encouraged open dialogue and included a lot of information from sources outside of NDSU and Fargo.

I think you'll find people came into that committee with a very strong stance for or against, he said. I dont know if those people changed their minds, but they have a much better understanding of the issue.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Mike Nowatski at (701) 241-5528

tony
03-10-2004, 02:23 PM
To me that's not a good vote because it doesn't deliver a clear mandate for change.

I think they should make it clear that it's a one-year trial and then have the committee vote again next year.

BTW, kind of a glowing article in the LA Times today about Fargo. You have to register to view it.

LA Times: Fargo Hip? You Betcha (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-fargo10mar10,1,6864290.story?coll=la-home-headlines)

A $500,000 condo in downtown Fargo? Who'd have thunk it?

WYOBISONMAN
03-10-2004, 02:46 PM
I see from the article Prakash Mathew voted to ban booze. That guy was a useless moron when I was in school in the 80's, and obviously he still is. I hope the University gets rid of some of those less useful people like Prakash. He needs to go away......

Bison_Kent
03-10-2004, 03:03 PM
I don't know if any of you remember but E&A Day (Engineering and Architecture Day) was the one spring day that all engineering (and supposedly architecture, not sure if they ever did) classes were canceled for the day. "The White Flag that flew over the College of Engineering building was the sign."

My early (pre-21) days the event was held at one of Fargo's parks and several kegs were bought and consumed by us, engineering types. This same type of tailgating legislation shut down the park atmosphere and when I was on the E&A council my senior (1996) year, we had to fight tooth and nail to get the NDSU authorities to allow the event to continue at any level. We eventually gave ground and they allowed it only if the event was at a controlled enviroment. So we had to rent the Playmaker's Pavillian to have the party. And we had to have a security guard check IDs at the door to see who could and couldn't drink.

By the time we had the facility and guard paid, we had enough money for two kegs.

Now, I am not saying that was a bad thing but the party was basically over at 3:00 in the afternoon as that was when the beer went dry. (It had started about 10:00 in the morning.)

I kind of got lost out there with this story but it states that NDSU authority figures are hard to deal with when it comes to anything dealing with alcohol.

Now, I think that tailgating needs to be something different then this. I hope the authority figures allow customers to bring their own alcohol and not regulate it like E&A Day. I would think a secruity person or two might be wise but not to the extent that you can't have fun.

By the way, is E&A Day still going on campus?

Herd_Mentality
03-10-2004, 03:51 PM
That panel was stacked....there were 3 FOR SURE "NO" votes with , Mathew and Sgt Schulz on the panel. Those 3 blindly voted no...no matter what alternative was put out there, they would all vote the same. I also agree that it's too bad the vote was 8-7 and not more decisive. However, when you look at the makeup of the panel...it makes sense.

BisonBryce
03-10-2004, 05:10 PM
E&A day was still going on when i graduated in 2001. I wasnt in E&A so i dont know the specifics on their booz situation.

Just come up with the plan that grand forks has. Seemed to work well last fall for everyone involved.

Bisonfan1234
03-10-2004, 05:32 PM
E&A day still goes on.

somebison
03-11-2004, 01:42 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=52408

Chapman to decide tailgating
By Mike Nowatzki
mnowatzki@forumcomm.com
The Forum - 03/11/2004

The controversial mix of alcohol and tailgating at North Dakota State University football games got a major boost Wednesday, but more hurdles lie ahead before it becomes official.

A 15-member advisory committee decided to forward a three-page memo to NDSU President Joseph Chapman recommending that alcohol be allowed in a fenced-in parking lot west of the Fargodome before and after Bison football games.

NDSU Athletic Director Gene Taylor said he has mixed feelings about the recommendation, even though he cast the deciding vote at the committee’s Feb. 25 meeting to allow alcohol.

JBB
03-11-2004, 02:50 PM
I have mixed feelings too, but Sherri Schmidt said it right. They seem to go hand in hand and people over the age of 21 should have the choice. If you were just a little discreet its never been a problem to have booze in or around the Fabulous Fargo Dome . It would be nice to have it sanctioned in a controled area where we can park RVs and battle wagons.

nickelboy
03-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Here is the link:
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=52322

Booze, football can mix: Tailgating panel votes 8-7 in favor
By Mike Nowatzki
mnowatzki@forumcomm.com
The Forum - 03/10/2004

Talk about this story

Tailgating with alcohol at North Dakota State University football games appears to be headed closer to reality.

The 15-member NDSU Tailgating Advisory Committee recently voted 8-7 in favor of allowing alcohol in the Fargodome parking lot at Bison football games.

NDSU Athletic Director Gene Taylor cast the deciding vote at the Feb. 25 meeting, according to minutes obtained Tuesday by The Forum.

The committee meets today for the final time to recommend to NDSU President Joseph Chapman if alcohol should be allowed. Existing NDSU policy and city law bans booze from the Fargodome parking lot.

Taylor, the committees chairman, said members have reached a decision, but he refused to divulge it before todays meeting.

We're pretty good as to which direction we're going, he said Tuesday.

The Feb. 25 vote was split largely between members: NDSUs athletic department and sports boosters supported allowing alcohol at games while NDSUs student affairs staff and a Fargo police representative opposed it.

Members were presented with two resolutions at the meeting: one against alcohol at tailgating events and one in favor of it. After a review and discussion, each committee member was asked to vote.

Voting in favor of allowing alcohol were Taylor; Tim Sellnow, an athletic faculty representative; Troy Goergen, assistant director of marketing for NDSU athletics; Joan Deal, former president of the NDSU Team Makers booster club; Holly Bergo, NDSU health educator; Sherri Schmidt, NDSU Alumni Association associate executive director; Rob Sobolik, Fargodome assistant executive director; and student body president Dan Mostad.

Voting against alcohol were Prakash Mathew, NDSUs dean of student life; Laura Oster-Aaland, director of orientation and student life; Karla Thoennes, associate director of NDSU Residence Life; Nona Wood, associate director of student rights; Clayton Neighbors, assistant professor of psychology; Fargo Police Department Sgt. Pat Claus; and NDSU sophomore Jane Vangsness.

Taylor said he will deliver the final recommendation to Chapman no later than Monday, the deadline set by Chapman when he formed the committee Oct. 1.

NDSU spokesman David Wahlberg said he expects Chapman to make a decision next week, although it could take longer. NDSU students are on spring break next week.

Chapman was out of town and unavailable for comment Tuesday. He will not attend todays meeting, Wahlberg said.

If the committee recommends allowing alcohol during tailgating, and Chapman agrees, NDSU will work with Fargo City Attorney Garylle Stewart to ensure the public drinking part of it is consistent with city law, Wahlberg said. Stewart told the committee at its Jan. 14 meeting that the easiest option would be to amend current city ordinance to allow for alcohol during tailgating.

The tailgating issue first arose at the July 8 meeting of the Fargo Liquor Control Committee. Sobolik said hed received calls from people asking about alcohol during tailgating, since many fans drink in the parking lots despite the city and universitys rules.

Before making a decision, the Liquor Control Committee wanted to first discuss the issue with NDSU. The end result was that alcohol would not be allowed and that no changes would be made to university policy or the city ordinance.

Police last fall soon began to monitor the atmosphere prior to NDSU home football games. Officers handed out warnings and brochures explaining the no-drinking policy and law. In at least one instance, revelers were asked to pour out their liquor.

The NDSU committee has met twice a month since October, studying everything from how a decision to allow alcohol would affect underage drinking to how it would impact police coverage and security costs, Taylor said. They also looked at how 40 other universities are handling tailgating, he said.

Members hoped to survey 500 students on the issue, but 140 responded. According to the meeting minutes, two things were evident in the survey:

There is an overwhelming desire for students to consume alcohol.
There is already a concern of underage drinking and overconsumption on campus.

At the committees Feb. 18 meeting, members also discussed a third option -- an off-site location for drinking, such as the Skills & Technology Training Center parking lot just north of the dome and 19th Avenue North.

Taylor said the committee process encouraged open dialogue and included a lot of information from sources outside of NDSU and Fargo.

I think you'll find people came into that committee with a very strong stance for or against, he said. I dont know if those people changed their minds, but they have a much better understanding of the issue.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Mike Nowatski at (701) 241-5528

I wish you well as far as tailgating as it will add alot to the game. Taylor who casted the deciding vote was opposed to it last year wasn't he? Also, no big thing but struck me funny that Holly Bergo voted for it and she is a health educator. HMMM.

Herd_Mentality
03-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Actually, Taylor was always for it....he's a tailgating fan, I've seen it first hand.

Does anyone know what "video" that president Chapman was talking about in this latest article? I sure hope it wasn't some sort of news footage, because I've done some pretty dumb things tailgating when I was stone cold sober (i.e. shaving my noggin).

Bisonfan1
03-11-2004, 04:48 PM
JBB, a few decals here, a few stripes there, and your RV can grow up to be a Battlewagon too. As far as tailgating goes, I think the whole issue will be fine and worked out prior to the first kick-off this fall. If they want a Division I type atmosphere, the tailgating will have to be treated as such to add to the whole atmosphere. So far a very good job by NDSU on the whole D-I thing.

Bison49
03-16-2004, 08:44 PM
NDSU president OKs tailgating at Fargodome
Mike Nowatzki

The Forum - 03/16/2004

North Dakota State University President Joseph Chapman has accepted an advisory committee’s recommendation to allow alcohol at tailgating, with some restrictions, in the Fargodome parking lot at Bison football games.

Chapman wrote a letter to Fargo Mayor Bruce Furness today asking the city to create “legally binding measures” to allow alcohol at tailgating in time for the 2004 football season.

“In accepting the recommendations of the advisory committee, I am seeking to strike a balance between public interest in allowing alcohol at tailgating and North Dakota State University’s concerns about underage use and abuse of alcohol,” Chapman wrote. “My acceptance of the committee’s recommendations does not diminish these concerns and we will continue our efforts in these matters.”

The 15-member advisory committee, led by NDSU Athletic Director Gene Taylor, forwarded its recommendation to Chapman March 12.

Restrictions recommended by the committee include confining alcohol to a tailgating area in the dome’s west parking lots, with a strong security presence and checking identification to prevent underage drinking. Kegs and party balls won’t be allowed in the area, and beverages must be in plastic cups.

roadwarrior
03-17-2004, 12:08 AM
Finally, we will be legal ;D

Bison_Dan
03-17-2004, 01:18 PM
The tailgating issue was created (started)by WDAY and the Forum. All of a sudden their doing stores on NDSU tailgating and there hasn't been any problems with it. Scott H. will always be a und windbag. It sure would be nice to have some media on our side.

WYOBISONMAN
03-17-2004, 03:44 PM
Again.....Taylor and Chapman taking the lead, making solid decisions and moving NDSU forward. Good job!

JBB
03-17-2004, 04:15 PM
I dont know if the old Holiday Rambler will ever be a battle wagon, but it does have a nice awning, reliable systems and a little privacy. I think it will fit right in with the battle wagons and other tailgating rigs that will hopefully line up to get in to the controlled area. having 3 home games in a row is nice for me because I can leave my rig in Fargo.

WYOBISONMAN
03-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Hell JBB....good tailgating is as much a state of mind as anything!

Bisonfan1
03-18-2004, 02:13 PM
JBB, a couple Bison posters in the window of the JBB family truckster, maybe a flag flying, and you have a battlewagon. Not everyone has to get carried away like us. The nice thing about all this is, everyone going into the controlled area now are there to have a great time prior to kickoff, wheather they drink or not, wheather they grill or not, doesnt matter, it will be an area to have a great time and not just a place to park cars. The west lot will definetly be the place to be this year prior to gametime. GO BISON

JBB
03-18-2004, 02:49 PM
Thats the way I see it too, and we will circle the wagons prior to the game with the Battle Wagon in prominent display. *Ill have the banner from the last game at Dacotah Field, a we fest OFFICIAL Windsor sponser sign and the radio blaring the pregame. *For reference Ill have Kolpeks history book inside. *You never know when a question will be called and facts need to be cross checked. *Oh yea and dont forget Ill have the weekly letter from coach Bohl on hand as well as the current media guide. *

Now if you could only get a closed circuit tv feed out to the wagons from the Fabulous Fargo Dome you could watch the warmups from the lot. *They could also have the cheerleaders and the band do a special show, they are getting real good. *Id pay $10 bucks for that and $25 to park the trailor in the beer garden.

Bisonguy
05-12-2004, 04:10 AM
Tailgating with adult beverages took another step closer to legally happening today. The Fargo Liquor Council passed a recommendation to the Fargo City Commission to allow alcohol at tailgating events. The story is on this tonight's WDAY news.

airmail
05-12-2004, 03:14 PM
In another post, I saw that there will be a "fenced" area... is this the proposed area where alcohol will be allowed? (vs. disallowed elsewhere on the property?) If this is the case, it would be a bad idea, IMO, to seperate the tailgating groups. Large numbers of people free to mingle and wander about is what makes tailgating a success.

Regardless, it looks like the first steps (hardest steps) are being taken to get this thing rolling. Congratulations. I look forward to checking it out on my annual 1-2 Bison home football games.

Bisonguy
05-12-2004, 09:02 PM
airmail,

Yes, the alcohol allowed area would be the west side lot, or at least of a portion of it that would be fenced off. I'm guessing you would be able to wander around, just minors without a parent wouldn't be allowed in the alcohol area.

Here's the story from The Forumhttp://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=57629&section=News

WYOBISONMAN
05-12-2004, 10:08 PM
And guess what....if you get too shitfaced you will be unable to find your way out of the fenced in area and will not make it to the game....instead you will pass out in the fenced in area and sleep it off.....thus, not pissing off the non drinkers....... ;D ;) ;D It is a perfect world.... ;D

(sorry, I am working too hard this afternoon and loosing my mind).

IowaBison
05-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Why can't they just let folks drink (and wander around). if they break the law then arrest them, *North Dakota does a great job stigmatizing the consumption of alcohol.

i don't know if ndsu will ever know what tailgating really is, we had a better culture on friday nights before a high school game.

Bisonguy
05-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Why can't they just let folks drink (and wander around). if they break the law then arrest them, *North Dakota does a great job stigmatizing the consumption of alcohol.

i don't know if ndsu will ever know what tailgating really is, we had a better culture on friday nights before a high school game.

The whole issue is a quandry of laws. NDSU has a dry campus policy and the Fargodome is located on NDSU land, Fargo requires permits for alcohol consumption on city property, etc. At least NDSU and the city are making progress on the issue. The atmosphere for the first two games last year was very good in the tailgating area, and should be even better this year.

IowaBison
05-12-2004, 10:53 PM
that's good to here, it's been a few years since i've been to the dome, baby steps work,

somebody needs to show them how it's done

JBB
05-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Dont let anyone in to the beer garden unless they have a game ticket. They should have a big screen in the tailgating area that would bring in all the pre-game maybe show the tailgating on the video boards inside, Feed the game to the tailgaters.

After the game have a huge bbQ, then let Campus Attractions put on a couple of bands. Use the Old Dacotah Field? Its got a lot of controlable area. Let it rock.

If you want a tailgating permit for the west lot pay $50 bucks.

JBB
05-13-2004, 11:46 PM
Any bar that wants it should be able to buy a live feed from the Fabulous Fargo Dome for every BISON Football Game. Fee? $1,000 - $1,500?

IowaBison
05-17-2004, 06:34 PM
let's wait until we fill the thing up before we do something like that

JBB
05-17-2004, 09:39 PM
The thing is filled up, we just dont know it yet. *We are only a few years away from a needed expansion.

Who cares where the fans are if they are watching the games? *If NDSU can broadcast a closed circuit feed that generates new revenues we should go after it. * If they dont want the rowdy tailgaters in the Dome feed it to a big screen in the tailgate area and raise Beer prices a $1. *Charge an admission too, say $3, same as parking. Make everyone buy a game ticket to tailgate. Thats how the festivals work. No music tickets no camping.

There are a whole lot of people that will go to the bar and put $8 into liquor to watch the BISON rather than buy a ticket. *5 bars is $7.500, thats *almost 1,000 fans @ $8. *From there it grows. *Fans that like the TV will eventually go to the game and tape it. *Why? *The game will be the place to be, its on TV! *Of course a big winning team would help!

JBB
05-17-2004, 09:58 PM
Look at it this way, $3 to tailgate plus a game ticket thats a min of $11. *$2.50 tap beers with big screen and full BBQ concessions, let famous Daves etc do it for a fee. *Let the greeks have food booths no charge. Let any NDSU sponsered group have a booth. *Put the event on the internet. *Let a rock band or two bang away during the game. *Let people come and go from the tailgate party to their seats in Fabulous Fargo Dome. *Put everything you have for sale out along the foot traffic lanes and in the party area. *Sell stuff.*

People will drop $50 before they know it and love the game! *Remember beer goes up a buck after kickoff. Maybe $1.50 if we have a rock band!

JBB
05-17-2004, 10:09 PM
I dont know, I just learned that kind of thing from my business and marketing at NDSU. I also learned how to account for it all.

airmail
05-17-2004, 10:14 PM
I think your ideas are good in theory, JBB... but in reality I'd differ. It's the "dropping 50 bucks" and the "$2.50 beers" that people want to avoid when tailgating. If you charge even a 3 dollar fee to tailgate, you will turn lots of people off. I know it's only $3, but it will piss people off anyway.

Keep in mind, the objective behind tailgating is to get people to the game... make the game a social event that everyone wants to be a part of. That's when game attendence goes up, and revenues go up, community chatter goes up, and on and on. As a team-maker, I would be opposed to tailgating admission fees, rock bands, tv feeds and the like. The goal of tailgating is getting people to the game, not keeping them in the parking lot. JMHO.

roadwarrior
05-17-2004, 10:15 PM
What ARE you smoking today JBB?

1) There is plenty of tailgating time before the game starts.

2) Watching a game on TV versus live?

3) We have to increase average attendence about 50% before the Fargodome is sold out for all games.

4) The noise is needed AT THE GAME, not at a bar.

5) Find me ONE bar owner that would fork over $1,500 per game for a live feed.

JBB
05-17-2004, 10:21 PM
The noise is needed whever you can make it. *If you can get the bars to pony up get the money. *Right now those bars dont broadcast BISON football because they dont have a passport. *The seats are still empty. *It doesnt matter where we market the vacant seats. *Get them interested in the game and they will eventually be in the building. *

If you had a tailgate rock n roll party going on in Dacotah Field with vendors, beer etc with a live game feed, and dont forget the ability to come and go from your seats, whats the difference? *If its rowdy and loud out there feed it back into the building over the screens. *The point is the game has to be the event. *Make it happen wherever you are. *Eventually every seat is going to be filled and the activities outside will stilll bring in the dollars.

If the bars wont pay they dont get it. But even if only 1 would do it. So what if its exclusive to Dacotah Field?

JBB
05-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Airmail,

The event on Dacotah Field would be segregated from tailgating on the west lot. In fact thats where the RVs would have to park. *You could still do that and go into the game. *Just like we are planning now. *See you there my friend.

Dacotah field is just a carnival extra.

If you want to get onto the Dacotah field party you need a ticket, $3 and you have to be 21. *Let it rage 3 hours before game time. *A whole lot of BISON fans want a rowdy taste of the old Dacotah Field! * *With the pregame and game feeds you cant lose.

Bisonguy
05-17-2004, 10:28 PM
Woohooo! Tailgate Talk!

Tailgating should be used to create a better atmosphere at the games and get more people in the seats. There already is a $3 fee for tailgating per vehicle. It's the same as if you park anyplace else in the Fargodome lot. They also had bands last year.

I do like the idea for possible fundraising during tailgating, but it should be optional. How about some apparel stands, food stands, or how about some Bison Brew that could be sold? If I knew that $1 off every $3 beer I buy was going to Bison Athletics, I might actually purchase beer there instead of bringing my own.

JBB
05-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Woohooo! Tailgate Talk!

Tailgating should be used to create a better atmosphere at the games and get more people in the seats. There already is a $3 fee for tailgating per vehicle. It's the same as if you park anyplace else in the Fargodome lot. They also had bands last year.

I do like the idea for possible fundraising during tailgating, but it should be optional. How about some apparel stands, food stands, or how about some Bison Brew that could be sold? If I knew that $1 off every $3 beer I buy was going to Bison Athletics, I might actually purchase beer there instead of bringing my own.

I think your starting to see it BisonGuy.

Yes, they were on the right track, but they pulled back. *Not a good mixed atmosphere. *You have to give people a choice, let them have the west lot but turn Dacotah Field into the carnival they envisioned last year. *So what if you already paid $3 to park your car. *Its still an extra $3 plus game ticket to get onto Dacotah Field. *You still have to pay for beer and food and enjoy all the vendors. *Vendors could also be set up on the tennis courts so they could serve the West people that dont go onto the field.

the key is to let people come and go from their seats at the Fabulous Fargo Dome.

IowaBison
05-18-2004, 12:28 AM
i just say let people drink booze discretely the first few years and not have too many contrived events

i can bring a grill, beer and some brats, i don't need music just a radio to listen to my own music and then pregame

IMO we don't need bands or ferris wheels or anything else like that

roadwarrior
05-18-2004, 02:08 AM
I'm with Iowabison, lets just have it the way its been done all along. If it wasnt for the media, we would not even be having this discussion.

Remember in the early 80's when the north BSA lot pavement ended and it was gravel and grass the rest of the way to 19th avenue? We were there then, grilling burgers and having a cold beer or two in plastic cups.

JBB
05-18-2004, 02:56 AM
Yea I remember, I was there too.
8)

Thats what the west lot is for.

IowaBison
05-18-2004, 04:18 AM
can't beat drinkin beer out of plastic cups

Bisonguy
05-26-2004, 03:42 AM
To me that's not a good vote because it doesn't deliver a clear mandate for change.

I think they should make it clear that it's a one-year trial and then have the committee vote again next year.

BTW, kind of a glowing article in the LA Times today about Fargo. You have to register to view it.

LA Times: Fargo Hip? You Betcha (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-fargo10mar10,1,6864290.story?coll=la-home-headlines)

A $500,000 condo in downtown Fargo? Who'd have thunk it?

Somewhat of a subtopic, but the Today Show was in Fargo filming a segment on the resurgence of Fargo-

'Today' show visits Fargo: City gets national recognition for 'resurgence' (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=58450&section=news)

Bisonguy
07-02-2004, 12:40 AM
NDSU is finalizing plans for tailgating sans prohibition. Lots will open up 4 hrs before the game (so much for real BBQ), alcohol will only be permitted in lots E & F (west side), and they may charge extra to park there to cover added security (OK by me).

All this is from the WDAY 6:00 news, about 7:00 in if you're watching via internet-http://www.wday.com/

Trimmy
07-02-2004, 01:02 AM
Yeah, I got a neat little pamphlet in the mail today explaining where you can and can not drink. There was a bunch of other promotional stuff in there. The one I liked was the buy 20 tickets for $100 for the Valpo game. That would be a great atmosphere for our first I-AA game if we could a lot of people in there.

JBB
07-02-2004, 02:02 AM
whos going to bring an RV if you only have 4 hrs? I want to pull in at 7 AM.

jackmd
07-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Don't like where this is headed. Who is spearheading the restriction? Is it the instituion, a non-campus group, the city??

SDSU began allowing/organizing tailgaiting north of the field about 10 years ago. Its pretty restrictive and really doesn't deserve the moniker. Iowa has got it right, show up when you want to, with whatever you want to bring, just stay out of trouble.

I hope this trend towards tailgating restrictions reverses itself. Gameday is about more than just the 2 - 3 hours that the game consumes.

airmail
07-02-2004, 08:21 PM
whos going to bring an RV if you only have 4 hrs? *I want to pull in at 7 AM.

I have to agree with you on that... sounds pretty stupid.

Don't take this the wrong way, (I try to put smack in the right place) but I'm surprised 'SU hasn't done the whole "tailgate research" thing like that other school did. It really has had a good effect on making football an event up here. In fact, the tailgating has gotten absolutely huge compared to a few years ago. This leads me to believe that maybe the admin at NDSU really isn't as keen on tailgating as they'd like people to believe...

Bisonguy
07-02-2004, 11:26 PM
jackmd,

It was a bit of a quagmire that developed last year.

Drinking had gone on for years during tailgating, but was more of look the other way at what's in that plastic cup event. Somehow (local news media) this information was released to the public, and the Fargo Police had to do something. NDSU was trying to promote tailgating, and get more activities and family events before the game. The city of Fargo has an ordinance that requires a permit to consume alcohol on city property (Fargodome), and NDSU is a dry campus (plus the Fargodome is located on NDSU land).

It was something like a liquor triangle ::)

airmail,

They had the "four hour rule" last year, but I don't think it was enforced. I remember seeing people tailgating in the west lot before noon for some of the night games.

BisonMav
07-04-2004, 03:47 PM
The parking lot gates at Lambeau open 3 hours before the game. I haven't seen a better tailgating atmosphere anywhere else.

El_Chapo
08-05-2015, 04:29 AM
I see from the article Prakash Mathew voted to ban booze. That guy was a useless moron when I was in school in the 80's, and obviously he still is. I hope the University gets rid of some of those less useful people like Prakash. He needs to go away......

dammit wyo! if you would've pressed harder for Prakash to be gone, WE WOULDNT BE PLAYING UND ON SEPT 19th! dam you WYO!