PDA

View Full Version : Shrine Game

insane_ponderer
07-11-2004, 03:15 AM
went to the shrine game to check out a couple of hometown boys, and a few recruits.

zach harrington OL looked good, only real impressive play i saw out of him was a great pull block on a run to the opposite of the line. they also got him in a few plays at DT which was fun to see.

Tyler Roehl FB looked awesome against the smaller, slower h.s. competition, i think he will turn out to be a great fullback though if he keeps improving, definently has the "psycho" mentality for it

Tyler Jangula LB looked very good at linebacker, was consistently breaking up plays in the backfield but looked small, so i was wondering if the team was planning on maybe converting him to a safety position??

those are the three that really stood out, i was pretty impressed with their level of play.

Bisonguy
07-11-2004, 03:31 AM
I thought Jangular was slated at FB. He should see a redshirt.

I just saw the Roehl highlights on FOX news. His 40 something yard TD scamper betwen the tackles looked good ;D. Did they say he had three TD's? :o He should be a good FB in the WCO.

Tatanka
07-11-2004, 03:37 AM
I thought Jangular was slated at FB. He should see a redshirt.

I just saw the Roehl highlights on FOX news. His 40 something yard TD scamper betwen the tackles looked good *;D. Did they say he had three TD's? *:o *He should be a good FB in the WCO.
++

Bisonguy
07-11-2004, 06:34 AM
Here's the recap-Roehl rolls past West: West Fargo star enjoys huge game (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=63590&section=Sports)

By Aaron Blake, The Forum
Published Sunday, July 11, 2004
· advertisement ·

It would have been a dagger either way.

But Tyler Roehl's 49-yard touchdown run on fourth and inches late in the fourth quarter at Saturday's Shrine Bowl 11-man game was also a reminder for the West squad.

With 3 minutes, 8 seconds remaining, the former West Fargo star got the inches he needed as the teams converged on the line of scrimmage. And then, all of a sudden, he had 49 yards of daylight and his third touchdown.

"I was just running and kept moving my legs," Roehl said. "I felt an opening and took off and found myself in the end zone."

Roehl, who had been quiet since a two-touchdown first quarter, quashed any hopes a slowly recovering West team had.

His 179 yards on 18 carries and three scores served the East a 28-10 victory at the Fargodome.

Roehl's yardage accounted for over half of his team's 319 total yards.

"It seemed like it was darn near impossible to stop him today," West coach Pete Moe of Washburn said. "We knew it would be tough. Without him, it would have been a very close game."

In the first half, Roehl got things going early with four carries on the opening drive, capped off by a 2-yard dive to the right for a touchdown.

He would strike again just minutes later, taking the handoff on second and inches, breaking tackles and cutting back across the field for a 43-yard score to make it 14-0 with 5 minutes left in the first quarter.

The East offense continued to dominate early in the second quarter, taking a West punt and driving 76 yards in seven plays.

But this time, the East attacked through the air, as quarterback Tom Prout of Grand Forks Red River returned from being shaken up on the first drive of the game to throw a 39-yard bomb to Andrew Ross of Fargo North. Prout also threw a 17-yard post-rout touchdown to Brad Elliott of Valley City.

Prout was 3-for-5 for 63 yards, not completing a pass after halftime.

In the second half, the West inched closer as receiver Jake Caulfield of Minot leapt over two East defenders in the back right corner of the end zone for a 16-yard touchdown grab, thrown by Josh Kittell of Garrison-Max.

The West forced a pair of punts in the third quarter and intercepted a Prout pass early in the fourth quarter, but couldn't inch any closer with the ball in its hands.

Roehl's breakout was the final straw.

"We came out ready to go, but we got tired in the beginning of the second quarter," East defensive back Drew Hreault of Fargo Shanley said. "They stuck it to us, but we came back."

While the West offense rushed for only 60 yards, Kittell was 9-for-14 for 119 yards through the air.

Luke Holden of Bismarck Century had six catches for 83 yards. Caulfield had four catches for 50 yards.

But in the end, the game's star was Roehl, who didn't quite anticipate his success.

"I guess they (the coaches) knew what worked for me in high school," Roehl said. "I didn't think I would get three touchdowns, but maybe that I would block for three."

West 0 3 7 0– 10

East 14 7 0 7–28

East–Roehl 2 run (Flynn Kick)

East–Roehl 43 run (Flynn kick)

East–Elliott 16 pass from Prout (Flynn kick)

West–DeMontigny 32 FG

Wes–Caufield 16 pass from Kittell (DeMontigny kick)

East–Roehl 49 run (Flynn kick)

TEAM STATISTICS

West East

First downs 12 14

Rushes-yards 29-60 38-236

Passing 152 83

Comp-Att-Int 11-26-2 6-15-2

Punts-Avg. 6-43.0 4-53.5

Fumbles-Lost 2-0 0-0

Penalties-Yards 12-84 2-20

Time of Possession 25:29 22:31

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING: West, Melland 6-33, Schwartz 11-22, Peterson 6-11, Caufield 1-11, Wingenbach 2-minus 3, Kittell 3-minus 14. East, Roehl 18-179, Sandness 9-40, Prout 1-15, Fahrman 1-6, Biahosky 9-minus 4.

PASSING: West, Kittell 9-14-0 119, Wingenbach 2-12-2 33. East, Bellke 1-5-0 4, Fahrman 2-5-1 16, Prout 3-5-1 63.

RECEIVING: West, Holden 6-83, Caufield 4-50, Schuh 1-19. East, Elliott 3-28, Ross 2-48, Sandness 1-7.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Aaron Blake at (701) 235-7311