89rabbit
07-25-2004, 07:29 AM
An interesting story from the Sunday Argus Leader. Here are some except:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle6.shtml

NCC dealing with some upheaval
Mick Garry
Argus Leader

published: 7/25/2004

The North Central Conference, often billed as the best league in NCAA Division II, has gone through several alterations in recent years after 20 years of absolute stability.

The first move came when Morningside, the smallest of the 10 schools, left in 2001. Next came Northern Colorado at the end of the 2003 school year, followed by North Dakota State and South Dakota State this past year.

Morningside, with its small enrollment and tight athletic budget, seemed out of place in the NCC for some time. Northern Colorado, while adding immeasurably to the league's luster with its national championship-caliber football program, was a consistent traveling pain for other NCC schools, as well as a lackluster draw at other conference locales.

In NDSU and SDSU, however, the league said good bye to a pair of well-funded, ideally-located charter members.

"We have a great thing going in this league and we have for a long time, so it's not like the wheels are completely off," USD athletic director Joel Nielsen said. "But, when you take relationships out of play like USD-SDSU and UND-NDSU, the wheels are going to get a little wobbly for a while. We're going to be in a wait-and-see mode for the short term, but the league is going to stay as strong as it has during its history."

Minnesota-Duluth joins the NCC this fall to make a seven-team league, but that addition won't offset the two high-profile losses.

Last season, the NCC was at the top of Division II basketball attendance and second in football. Not coincidentally, SDSU led the nation in basketball attendance and NDSU led in football. The averages in both sports are bound to fall next season without those heavyweight numbers.

Nevertheless, NCC commissioner Mike Marcil says he's not worried about the conference's stature within the region or nationally. . . .

The other big hurdle for the remaining NCC schools is scheduling.

When it was a 10-team conference, football programs had to find two non-conference opponents and basketball had to find about 10. Now, with just six conference games in football and 12 in basketball, digging out non-conference foes has become far more challenging.

Basketball programs have to schedule at least 10 of their 15 non-conference dates against NCAA Division II teams, with the rest usually being NAIA or NCAA Division III. . . .

The potential non-conference deficit has been felt throughout the region. The Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference, from which the NCC picked up Minnesota-Duluth, had extreme difficulty getting NCC teams to their home court years ago. Not anymore.

"At NDSU, we never would have thought of playing a game in Crookston or Bemidji," Billeter said. "I'd offer them guaranteed money and just bring them in. Now they know you need games so you have to go home-and-home with them. This Thanksgiving, I'll be in Crookston and Bemidji." . . .

NCC changes

Recent changes involving the North Central Conference

2001 - Morningside leaves conference.

2003 - Northern Colorado leaves league to pursue Division I.

2004 - At the completion of the 2003-04 season, NDSU and SDSU leave the league for Division I.

2004 - The NCC adds Minnesota-Duluth to bring the conference membership to seven for the 2004-05 season.

Bisonfan1234
07-25-2004, 07:36 AM
UNO moves to the MIAA - 2005.

UND moves to 1AA - 2007.

NCC folds.

KC7
07-25-2004, 01:08 PM
You forgot to put in:
UND go D1-AA ( Eats crow on the way)

WYOBISONMAN
07-25-2004, 02:30 PM
.....And UND has both a new President and a new AD.....

Bisonfan1234
07-25-2004, 04:53 PM
Actually, once UNO goes to the MIAA, the NCC might want to fuse with the NSIC. That might finally compel UND to jump ship.

JBB
07-25-2004, 05:53 PM
If UNO is thinking of moving they are covering it up well. Just a week or so ago they said they werent thinking about leaving the NCC. In fact the MIAA isnt considering them to replace - I think it might be ROLLA - who is leaving that conference next season.

und* cant move until they get the money. They dont have it now. They will also need to do a lot of backtracking. Their extreme view on the NDSU/SDSU move and their willingness to shout it from any roof top has left them looking foolish.

Bisonfan1234
07-25-2004, 06:05 PM
I think it might be ROLLA - who is leaving that conference next season.

Which would open the door to UNO to face more natural, southern rivals.

JBB
07-25-2004, 06:13 PM
The MIAA did NOT include UNO as one of the replacement candidates. I think if they were planning on moving they would have tossed their hat into the ring. They didnt.

Tatanka
07-25-2004, 06:49 PM
The potential non-conference deficit has been felt throughout the region. The Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference, from which the NCC picked up Minnesota-Duluth, had extreme difficulty getting NCC teams to their home court years ago. Not anymore.

"At NDSU, we never would have thought of playing a game in Crookston or Bemidji," Billeter said. "I'd offer them guaranteed money and just bring them in. Now they know you need games so you have to go home-and-home with them. This Thanksgiving, I'll be in Crookston and Bemidji." *. *. *.

Enjoy your future, und*!!!

Bisonfan1234
07-25-2004, 07:05 PM
The MIAA did NOT include UNO as one of the replacement candidates. *I think if they were planning on moving they would have tossed their hat into the ring. *They didnt.

UNO is not only moving, but dropping their extremely costly and unprofitable hockey program.

TheBisonator
07-26-2004, 01:25 AM
UNO is not only moving, but dropping their extremely costly and unprofitable hockey program.

Sure they are, 1234. In your little world they are... ::)

Bisonfan1234
07-26-2004, 04:50 AM
What proof do you have that they aren't?

wsuwarrior
07-26-2004, 09:14 AM
A) What proof do you have that UNO is moving to the MIAA?

B) What proof do you have that UNO is dropping their hockey team?

JBB
07-26-2004, 12:28 PM
What proof do you have that they aren't?

They arent one of the teams the MIAA is considering for the needed replacement. It seems to me if they were serious about this they would have made themselves available. Naturally, they could be planning on moving after the vacancy is filled adding one more team.....and probably selling their hockey team to NDSU!

NDSU_grad
07-26-2004, 02:57 PM
The MIAA is adding Lincoln, according to the reports on D2football.com. The rumor is UNO won't leave the NCC in the hopes of having their hockey team play in the WCHA some day, in which there are quite a few NCC members. I personally think UNO is crazy to not at least consider the MIAA.

jackmd
07-26-2004, 02:58 PM
(This is the most likely scenario) Lincoln U. of Missouri will rejoin the MIAA to replace Rolla. *Lincoln left the MIAA several years ago after dropping football. *Football is back and now they will return to the MIAA. *Seems UNO is "committed" to the NCC for now. Some rumbling (which you have all probably heard) regarding Winona St. and Ft. Hays, but my understanding is Lincoln will rejoin.

Bisonfan1234
07-26-2004, 08:43 PM
I personally think UNO is crazy to not at least consider the MIAA.

Absolutely.

And they're even crazier for keeping ice hockey around, ESPECIALLY in a town like Omaha. Ice Hockey is a barbarian "sport" that never was popular in the US and continues to be the bain of our athletic society.

BisonMav
07-27-2004, 01:31 AM
Absolutely.

And they're even crazier for keeping ice hockey around, ESPECIALLY in a town like Omaha. Ice Hockey is a barbarian "sport" that never was popular in the US and continues to be the bain of our athletic society.
Omaha is rich in hockey history. Gordie Howe, Terry Sawchuk and Marcel Pronovost having played there.

Bisonfan1234
07-27-2004, 01:39 AM
That's like saying Dallas is rich in hockey history.

Complete bullshit and you know it.

No good hockey player has ever come from there. It just happens that Dallas is one of the few places where you can play, so simply by the odds, some Canadian or European will pass through there and be great later on.

TheBisonator
07-27-2004, 01:43 AM
Oh come on, any city featured in the movie "Slap Shot II" HAS to be a good hockey city!!! :D :D :D

Bisonguy
07-27-2004, 01:53 AM
Related topic of interest about NDSU's former small college conference-Mike Marcil leaves the NCC (http://www.northcentralconference.org/frameset.php?page=uploads/pdf/390955f5d051e4b3246dd826c56337dd.pdf)

Looks like the NCC is looking for a new commish on Aug. 20th.

BisonMav
07-27-2004, 02:03 AM

No good hockey player has ever come from there. It just happens that Dallas is one of the few places where you can play, so simply by the odds, some Canadian or European will pass through there and be great later on.

It's not BS, have you ever been to Omaha? By your logic no place in the USA can have a hockey history. Because a bunch of Canadians and European's played for the North Stars, or Black Hawks etc. The Omaha Lancers sold out almost every game before UNO started their team. The Omaha Knights before that were very popular. Besides, the NCC is a hockey conference now. Only Augustana and USD don't have teams.

roadwarrior
07-27-2004, 02:04 AM
To me, it looks like Marcil is jumping ship with the recent moves out of the conference ???

Bisonfan1234
07-27-2004, 02:44 AM
It's not BS, have you ever been to Omaha? *By your logic no place in the USA can have a hockey history. *Because a bunch of Canadians and European's *played for the North Stars, or Black Hawks etc. *The Omaha Lancers sold out almost every game before UNO started their team. *The Omaha Knights before that were very popular. *Besides, the NCC is a hockey conference now. *Only Augustana and USD don't have teams.

How many hockey greats born in Omaha?

Oh yeah, like I said, no one gives a crap.

Football and basketball are where the talent is in America. Always will be.

JBB
07-27-2004, 02:47 AM
I agree roadwarrior. He says that he is sure the NCC will attract another member soon as he leaves for a conference that I dont think Ive heard of. Too much roger thomas and look what happens to you.

BisonMav
07-27-2004, 02:55 AM
How many hockey greats born in Omaha?

Oh yeah, like I said, no one gives a crap.

Football and basketball are where the talent is in America. Always will be.
If no one gives a crap, why did you bring up that UNO was getting rid of their hockey team? *

How many hockey greats were born in the USA?

Bisonfan1234
07-27-2004, 03:11 AM
If no one gives a crap, why did you bring up that UNO was getting rid of their hockey team? *

How many hockey greats were born in the USA?

They SHOULD get rid of the team if they don't want to lose money.

The REAL question that is more relevent to this issue is: how many hockey greats were born in warm weather markets (like Omaha) where there is no such thing as neighborhood ice hockey games?

BisonInTexas
07-27-2004, 03:30 AM

Well, being a big Stars fan, all I can say is Dallas has more Stanley Cups than Minneapolis! I'll take that hockey history anytime.

Bisonfan1234
07-27-2004, 03:37 AM
They would pack a stadium to watch paint dry in TX so long as they were a championship team.

BisonInTexas
07-27-2004, 03:37 AM
Related topic of interest about NDSU's former small college conference-Mike Marcil leaves the NCC (http://www.northcentralconference.org/frameset.php?page=uploads/pdf/390955f5d051e4b3246dd826c56337dd.pdf)

Looks like the NCC is looking for a new commish on Aug. 20th.

What does it say about the NCC when its commissioner leaves to become commissioner of the Sunshine State Conference, home of such DII powers as Barry University, Eckerd College, Florida Southern College, Florida Institute of Technology, Lynn University, Nova Southeastern University,
Rollins College, Saint Leo University, and University of Tampa?

Craig

Bisonguy
07-27-2004, 03:40 AM
What does it say about the NCC when its commissioner leaves to become commissioner of the Sunshine State Conference, home of such DII powers as Barry University, Eckerd College, Florida Southern College, Florida Institute of Technology, Lynn University, Nova Southeastern University,
Rollins College, Saint Leo University, and University of Tampa?

Craig

They might not have football, but the Sunshine State Conference has a total of 52 DII national championships, compared to only 14 DII national championships for the "new" NCC *members:-/

I'd consider it an upgrade. The NCC ain't what she used to be.

BisonInTexas
07-27-2004, 03:58 AM
That was the point I was trying to make. The number of national championships is impressive though. Baseball, soccer golf and tennis are naturals for Florida.

Regardless, another sign that NDSU is going in the right direction.

Craig

Bison_Dan
07-27-2004, 01:53 PM
Marcil is leaving a sinking ship. I'm sure the sue will welcome crookston in the ncc! ;D ;D

WYOBISONMAN
07-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Marcil is leaving because he had no vision and his leadership of the NCC has left a shell of what it once was.

JBB
07-27-2004, 04:29 PM
I agree with that, but I also think he had the roger thomas goggles on and they greatly restricted his vision. *thomas had no vision except his own which resulted in the downfall of Marcil and the weakening of the league because Marcil wasnt strong enough, as you have said, to lead the conference with vision. *