PDA

View Full Version : Gophers?

tony
07-01-2004, 02:53 PM
The venerable Sid says that the Bison might be playing the Gophers in 2005. I think there'd be a fair amount of interest in that game from the many ex-North Dakotans in the Twin Cities.

Star Tribune - it's buried in here someplace (http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/4855514.html)

TheBisonator
07-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Sid is obviously too senile to realize that we can't play I-A teams until August/September of 2007...

JBB
07-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Heres what he says:

Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi is still looking for a nonconference football game for the 2005 season. If he can't get a Division I team -- and it's difficult at this time -- it is possible that Division I-AA Montana State or North Dakota State could be on the schedule.

My guess? Montana State because of the transition. The good new is the fact that we are now on the Gophers, and that means the Big 10 radar screen. You got to love it.

Bisonguy
07-01-2004, 09:14 PM
Sid is obviously too senile to realize that we can't play I-A teams until August/September of 2007...
NDSU can play a I-A opponent prior to that, it just would not count for the I-A team's bowl eligibility requirement. A I-A team can even play a DII opponent, but there's no condition where the game would count towards bowl eligibility for the I-A.

tony
07-01-2004, 09:15 PM
I don't think this is a case of Sid speculating. He was reporting what the Gopher AD told him.

There isn't any rule that says Minnesota absolutely can't play NDSU.

Somebody probably understands this better than I do, but I thought BCS teams can count one win against a DI-AA team every four years. Assuming Minnesota counted the game against Texas State - San Marcos (fka Southwest Texas State) in 2002, neither Montana State or NDSU would count, scholarships or not. I'm probably 110% wrong though :)

The Gophers are seriously considering NDSU but it's a long shot.

TheBisonator
07-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Huh, I did not know that... Maybe we could schedule Iowa State in the near future. They've got no chance at a bowl game these days...

Bison7925
07-01-2004, 09:19 PM
How about Standford ;D ;D ;D ;D

tony
07-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Standford sucks. They classroom too much :)

89rabbit
07-01-2004, 09:41 PM
I don't think this is a case of Sid speculating. He was reporting what the Gopher AD told him.

There isn't any rule that says Minnesota absolutely can't play NDSU.

Somebody probably understands this better than I do, but I thought BCS teams can count one win against a DI-AA team every four years. Assuming Minnesota counted the game against Texas State - San Marcos (fka Southwest Texas State) in 2002, neither Montana State or NDSU would count, scholarships or not. I'm probably 110% wrong though :)

The Gophers are seriously considering NDSU but it's a long shot.

Tony you are 100% right. If Minnesota counted the 2002 game it dosen't matter which I-AA team they played it will not count towards their Bowl eligibility. So they could play NDSU or Montana St. Many schools play I-AA every year because it is a home game that they do not have to return (see Kansas State they played (2) I-AA teams last year Umass and McNeese St.). They do it for the $$$$. They do not care that the game doesn't count because they will be Bowl eligibil anyway. All the I-A schools need is a non-losing record and 6 wins that count out of 11 games (or 12 under special circumstances).

K-State as our example:

Sat, Aug 23 California 7 RV at Kansas City, Mo 42 - 28 (W)

Sat, Aug 30 Troy State 7 - Manhattan, Kan. 41 - 5 (W)

Sat, Sep 06 McNeese State 7 - Manhattan, Kan. 55 - 14 (W)

Sat, Sep 13 Massachusetts 7 - Manhattan, Kan. 38 - 7 (W)

Sat, Sep 20 Marshall 6 - Manhattan, Kan. 20 - 27 (L)

Sat, Oct 04 Texas 16 13 at Austin, Texas 20 - 24 (L)

Sat, Oct 11 Oklahoma State 22 RV at Stillwater, Okla. 34 - 38 (L)

Sat, Oct 18 Colorado RV - Manhattan, Kan. 49 - 20 (W)

Sat, Oct 25 Kansas RV RV Manhattan, Kan. 42 - 6 (W)

Sat, Nov 01 Baylor RV - Manhattan, Kan. 38 - 10 (W)

Sat, Nov 08 Iowa State RV - at Ames, Iowa 45 - 0 (W)

Sat, Nov 15 Nebraska RV 18 at Lincoln, Neb. 38 - 9 (W)

Sat, Nov 22 Missouri 19 RV Manhattan, Kan. 24 - 14 (W)
STATS

Big 12 Championship Game

Sat, Dec 06 Oklahoma 13 1 Kansas City, Mo. 35 - 7 (W)
STATS ABC

6 wins = 1. Cal, 2. Troy St., 3. Colorado, 4. Kansas, 5. ISU, 6. Nebraska, 7. Missouri

So as you can see no need to count McNesse or UMass so they don't care how many scholarships they have. Hope that helps. Good luck with your Minnesota game.

Bisonfan1234
07-01-2004, 09:55 PM
How about Standford ;D ;D ;D ;D

You've never had a typo?

BisonBizzo
07-02-2004, 03:22 PM
I agree 89rabbit, it's all about the money. *The gophers have an I-AA game this year also, Illinois St. *If the gophers make a good showing in their conference, I doubt the bowl selecting committee will way too much on a team playing a I-AA team two years ago. *Now if they only have 6 wins and they are looking for that Motor City bowl bid, well that is another story. *What hurts the gophers is they never seem to have the high caliber non-conference game of lately. *Just one would help, and I don't know if Colorado St. or Toledo will do that justice this year. *Last year it might have got them in the Alamo bowl vs. the Sun bowl. *For my final thought, I can see the interest for NDSU game in the metrodome. *At a marketing stand point, Fargo is in the gophers regional market with alot of NDSU alumni in the twin cities. *Hell they finally might sell some seats in the upperdeck, without being Iowa, Wisconsin, or a hyped-up Michigan game.

tony
07-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Man, how did I miss that Illinois State game this year?

I agree - I think NDSU would be a bigger draw than other DI-AA team out there. If their plan is to beat up on a DI-AA team, it might as well be one that is in their recruiting area and doesn't have to be flown in.

jackmd
07-02-2004, 04:37 PM
I'd make the short trip up from Rochester to see NDSU play, even though its in the dome. I'd much rather see SDSU but thats not on the radar screen right now. I suspect attendance would be impressive for a Gopher/Bison game. Better than any other DIAA school out there. I hope this happens.

KTF
07-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Think the Gophers would ever travel to play at the FargoDome?

somebison
07-02-2004, 06:19 PM
Think the Gophers would ever travel to play at the FargoDome? *

no, BCS teams don't travel to IAA teams

BisonBizzo
07-02-2004, 06:20 PM
No, your best bet would be a gopher basketball game. It would be many many years down the road and current politics or practices would have to change. I remember they (the gophers) received a low (I thought) payout when they went to Ohio U. last year. Someone on this board calculated that if the fargodome sold out at $30-35, I don't remember exactly, they would make a profit after paying the guarantee that Ohio U. paid Minnesota last year. Would be nice, but just won't happen.

Bisonfan1234
07-02-2004, 06:24 PM
We'd need better bball facilities for the gophs to come here.

BisonBizzo
07-02-2004, 06:40 PM
The Fargodome could work for a gopher basketball game right now. Talks have already been reported for 2 game away/ 1 game home. That could happen, it is just a tough contract to seal the deal at this moment.

Bisonfan1234
07-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Yes the dome could work as a bball arena...but not the most optimal.

Need a dome addition for bball.

parsons_girl_18
08-10-2004, 08:18 AM
I agree 89rabbit, it's all about the money. *The gophers have an I-AA game this year also, Illinois St. *If the gophers make a good showing in their conference, I doubt the bowl selecting committee will way too much on a team playing a I-AA team two years ago. *Now if they only have 6 wins and they are looking for that Motor City bowl bid, well that is another story. *What hurts the gophers is they never seem to have the high caliber non-conference game of lately. *Just one would help, and I don't know if Colorado St. or Toledo will do that justice this year. *Last year it might have got them in the Alamo bowl vs. the Sun bowl. *For my final thought, I can see the interest for NDSU game in the metrodome. *At a marketing stand point, Fargo is in the gophers regional market with alot of NDSU alumni in the twin cities. *Hell they finally might sell some seats in the upperdeck, without being Iowa, Wisconsin, or a hyped-up Michigan game.

So your saying that the Gophers would have to play North Dakota to sell tickets in the upper deck? I have to disagree....we dont have to play a team like North Dakota's to sell tickets!

TheBisonator
08-10-2004, 08:27 AM
So your saying that the Gophers would have to play North Dakota to sell tickets in the upper deck? I have to disagree....we dont have to play a team like North Dakota's to sell tickets!

Umm... We're North Dakota State, not North Dakota. UND is some little school north of us who plays Division I exhibition trophy-eligible only hockey and is in DIII or NAIA (I forgot which) in some other sports.

And as for selling tickets, I guarantee you there would be around 15-20,000 Bison fans at that game.

BTW, Gophers suck. ;D ;D ;D

BisonMav
08-10-2004, 12:47 PM
I have been to several Gopher games that had 20-25,000 fans total. Even Big 10 games. Like 89Rabbit said, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan games fill up the dome. NDSU would be a better draw than UL-Monroe, UL-Lafayette, Tulsa, etc.

KC7
08-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Bison Mav is right on.

This is a big winner for the Gophs financially. Travel budget is cheap and you a could expect a minimum of 10 k more in ticket sales than if they play any southern obscure school.

Too bad this couldn't have happened years ago, when gophs weren't that good. It would have been a "W" for the herd.

IowaBison
08-11-2004, 03:29 PM
give it time, i think the sports programs at the U are cursed

Bisonguy
08-31-2004, 12:40 AM
Hey, Sid mentions NDSU as a schedule possibility again-

The Gophers football schedule for 2005 still has an opening. Maturi is trying hard to get a Division I opponent, but if he can't, he might schedule North Dakota State, a school that would bring a lot of fans to town.

Link-http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/4954776.html

Dirty
08-31-2004, 01:36 AM
If Grampa Sports says something, it's a safe bet to put your money on the exact opposite. Since he's written about it possibly happening, Mt. Union is now more likely to play the Gophers than the Bison are.

Oh and the Gophers would need a team like the Bison to draw. I would bet that if you subtract the UofM students, maybe even if you don't subtract them, that more Bison fans would be at the game then Gopher fans. Unless it is a huge game like last years against Michigan, Gopher fans attend the games worth crap.

Bisonguy
08-31-2004, 01:49 AM
If Grampa Sports says something, it's a safe bet to put your money on the exact opposite. *Since he's written about it possibly happening, Mt. Union is now more likely to play the Gophers than the Bison are. *

Oh and the Gophers would need a team like the Bison to draw. *I would bet that if you subtract the UofM students, *maybe even if you don't subtract them, that more Bison fans would be at the game then Gopher fans. *Unless it is a huge game like last years against Michigan, Gopher fans attend the games worth crap.

Sid's predictions aren't very good on a percentage basis, but when you look at how much he talks about- he does have a good amount of true statements amongst the huge pile of BS. ;D