PDA

View Full Version : Observations

somebison
09-05-2004, 01:31 AM
Just got back from watching the game on TV,

QB situation- I don't want to harp on this because I am sure it will be covered enough- but I was a little nervous coming into this week after seeing/hearing about Stauss' performance last week, and also about his play in other big games (I have nightmares about the fumbled snaps at UND this year). One thing to note however is that what Walker came into the game he really had nothing to lose- the team was behind, he is a frosh backup etc. Things could be different if it was "his team" One thing I know is that we should be set at QB for awhile- but I do hope Stauss can come around- by all acounts he seems like a great person.

-Fake FG/Kicking it deep at the end- no problem with either decision

RB's- i like SPELLING Chapman for Steffes but I think Steffes should be the go to guy. It seemed that they were playing Chapman exclusively through the second and third quarter and I felt the O bogged down.

Throw the ball Deep- just to keep the LBs etc honest ???
- see play action

Also it did seem they were stuck going to the run alot but that may have been do to our difficulty throwing the ball at the time

-I think we can win every game the rest of the year, with some help we can still win the GWFC

bottom line 6 turnovers, two missed FG's and a 13 yard punt- no way it should have been this close Hat's off to the D they came up big ALOT

GO BISON!

Bisonguy
09-05-2004, 02:22 AM
bottom line 6 turnovers, two missed FG's and a 13 yard punt- no way it should have been this close Hat's off to the D they came up big ALOT

GO BISON!

don't forget a missed two point conversion and a drive inside the five that didn't even garner an attempt at points (well, okay-it was an attempt- fake FG).

It was a great showing for both teams getting some good airtime on FOX sports- hopefully NDSU will be on again.

JBB
09-05-2004, 02:28 AM
It was a great football game. *Just like I thought except for 1 thing. *It looked like the BISON Defensive unit had taken over the game by the 4th qtr. *That almost TD run that Steffes made was truly great. *He can really cut and change direction. *The Offensive line was great. *All of our receivers were sure handed. *I cant remember a dropped ball. *I think there is a QB controversy in Fargo.

Congratulations to a very strong UNC Football team. *You guys are good.

bisongold
09-05-2004, 02:52 AM
Let's face it, the schedule is not in our favor this year with UCD and UNC away . Just like last year having to play UND and St. Cloud away. For UND last year, they had both NDSU and St. Cloud at home and it took miracles to win both but they did it. Home field counts for something and UNC had it today. A great team has to overcome this... we haven't been able to do this in recent history but I think we are getting there!

somebison
09-05-2004, 03:11 AM
can't beleive I almost forgot about this-

2pt conversions- why do we always put in 4/5 wrs for our 2pt attempts- has it ever worked, today reminded me of the shootout in Greeley in 99 where we missed two point conversion(s?) and even of a missed 2pt conv attempt in the opener vs Emporia in 98. why not use a normal formation and try playaction etc?

signed
confused in iowa

GFBisonFan
09-05-2004, 04:19 AM
here's my quick observations:

First, with all the turnovers we deserve to lose. UNC is a good team and we coud have stolen this one on the road, even with as poor as we played.

Not making excuses in anyway whatsover-and I normally don't complain about the officials, but...... seems to me there were three key blown calls during the game.

First, the "fumble " and return on White's reception in the second half. Not sure he fumbled and why the ball wasn't called down while it was in the pile.

Second, was it me or was the middle linebacker clearly offsides on the two point conversion attempt? That seemed to throw off the line and allow another player in on Walker untouched.

Third, on the final field goal attempt Vartanian was run into very hard (knocked to the ground) and nothing was called. Again the snap was bad and the kick was blocked, but a call is a call and it was missed.

I am not making excuses for the loss, we played very poorly (let me make sure that is clear) and there may have been calls that were missed against us.

Great game to watch (especially the fourth quarter)!!

SDbison
09-05-2004, 04:28 AM
GFBisonFan I agree with your blown call list except for the third one. I believe running into a kicker is OK as long as the defender actually blocks the kick and there is no spearing or personal foul type contact.
After thinking about the offsides missed call I realize this play was not as crucial since if the Bison had converted they would have only tied the game and who knows what outcome would have been. The real blunder was the poor snap / lack of recovery on the FG attempt to win.

SDbison
09-05-2004, 04:37 AM
Also to be fair there was a missed call in favor of the Bison.......I can't remember what exactly transpired, but late in the game I think after a good bison pass rush the UNC QB went down on his own, but as he got up a Bison pushed him down. On the replay the refs face close up could be seen looking right at the QB area.