PDA

View Full Version : NDSU v UNC game thread

Bisonfan1234
09-04-2004, 09:38 PM
UNC up 3-0 in the first half.

1st Bison drive was going beautifully until the int.

Defense is also playing very well, just a lucky catch by UNC. Jackson has been quiet so far.

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2004, 10:01 PM
nooooo!!!!! my direct TV has just lost its signal......anyone else...?

Bisonfan1234
09-04-2004, 10:02 PM
6-0 now in the 2nd quarter. 3 ints. so far by Stauss.

Defense has played amazingly to hold them to 2 FGs.

Bisonfan1234
09-04-2004, 10:14 PM
We missed our 1st FG attempt.

One thing that hasn't changed from DII is the TV coverage. I've never listend to such biased reporters in my life.

They're flat out lying to the TV audience about the state of the game. They've said numerous times they their suprised the score is only 6-0 dispite the fact that UNC has "dominated" the 1st half. Such utter bullshit has no place in DI.

bisononce
09-04-2004, 10:27 PM
1234. You are right about bad coverage. He keeps calling the Bison "North Dakota." One of our home boys from North CAROLINA...etc, etc. :o

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2004, 11:22 PM
wow Im impressed with our defense.......vincente who? defense is tough....

wow Im depressed with our offense........hard to run the ball effectively when they line up with 8 in the box.....they need to find a way to go downfield...

Bisonfan1234
09-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I remember them saying Steffes was from Dickinson North Carolina.

UNC now leads 12-0 after 4 FGs. No one has found the endzone yet.

Jackson who? No catches today, although the tard announcers are trying to hype up his "great blocking skills that the scouts will no doubt notice". The guy sucks at blocking.

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2004, 11:28 PM
wow Tony Stauss.....what a bad game he's having.....

KTF
09-04-2004, 11:30 PM
we look like valparaiso!!! * :-[

Bisonfan1234
09-04-2004, 11:32 PM
UNC misses their 5th FG.

PLEASE let this FINALLY be the turning point.

Bison must score, stop, and score again.

If UNC gets another FG, game over.

whatever_
09-04-2004, 11:33 PM
Offense looks like a high school team. WOW!

Defense looks great though...

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2004, 11:34 PM
please Bohl get Stauss out of there....

whatever_
09-04-2004, 11:35 PM
OH MY GOD!!!

Another INT...........

BisonFan
09-04-2004, 11:35 PM
5 INT's....OUCH!

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2004, 11:46 PM
what a beautiful run by Steffes......we could have used Walker about 4 series ago.....

BisonFan
09-04-2004, 11:47 PM
Its easy to second guess the coaches, but I'm very impressed with Walker and think he should've been put in earlier. I'm not speaking about just this game either. What I saw in the Spring Game is contributing to my opinion.

Bisonfan1234
ABOUT GOD DAMNED TIME!!!!

NDSU scores the first TD of the game w/ Walker at the helm.

15-7, UNC leads.

If NDSU holds and we score again...the only possible choice is to go for 2.....right?

KTF
scooooooooooooooooooooooore!!! ;D ;D

silkamilkamonico
09-04-2004, 11:48 PM
plenty of time...we do need a stop here though....

Bisonfan1234
09-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Defense = GREAT STOP!!!

Punt = DISASTER!

Offense = starting inside the 10.

Herd_Mentality
09-05-2004, 12:00 AM
Oh YEAH.... 13-15

Herd_Mentality
09-05-2004, 12:01 AM
Sure looked like the D lineman hadn't retracted before the snap...should've been offsides on the D?

Bisonfan1234
09-05-2004, 12:02 AM
FUCKING OFFSIDES!!!

WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!

D has to step up big time now. Still have 3 TOs, right?

Bisonfan1234
09-05-2004, 12:04 AM
I fully agree with putting the game in the D's hands.

Cmon D!

JBB
09-05-2004, 12:04 AM
it was offsides!!!!!

Herd_Mentality
09-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Good thing I didn't end up in Greeley, I would've been arrested after that non call.

Bisonfan1234
09-05-2004, 12:10 AM
FG can win it for NDSU!!!

Bisonfan1234
09-05-2004, 12:12 AM
FG can win it for NDSU!!!

Blocked.

Herd_Mentality
09-05-2004, 12:13 AM
Great fans at UNC...throwing sh*t up through the uprights during the fieldgoal.

Bisonfan1234
09-05-2004, 12:13 AM
Great game for NDSU.

According to the announcers, the game was dominated all day by UNC.

silkamilkamonico
09-05-2004, 12:16 AM
gimme some feedback guys......with all due respect to Tony Stauss.....how do you not go with Walker after this....I mean, the big completion to White, and instead of downing it they run a play, and he AVOIDS A SACK that would have ended a game and completes a pass for a wayy shorter fg........

...I was soo impressed with Walker and am very excited to know he will be around for another 3 years....

MinotBison
09-05-2004, 12:17 AM
I think Walker may have indeed earned a start next week.

Herd_Mentality
09-05-2004, 12:18 AM
I agree, it's up to Stauss to win his job back. After really a lackluster showing by Tony last week and the poor decisions he made today....I don't see how you can hold Walker in the wings. Both players are going to see action next week, I think you've got to start Walker and bring in Stauss at the half.

KTF
09-05-2004, 12:19 AM
I would have to agree that Walker should start but with montana tech, he will be in by 2nd quarter anyway

MinotBison
09-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Walker certainly showed some poise. Watching on TV, on a couple of those INT's I was wondering what Stauss was throwing at.

silkamilkamonico
09-05-2004, 12:25 AM
Walker certainly showed some poise. * Watching on TV, on a couple of those INT's I was wondering what Stauss was throwing at.

yeah I was too......UNC pretty much shut Tony down and put 8 men in the box most of the game......I think it was just a snowball effect for Tony, one bad decision after another.....

JBB
09-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Its a shame on that 2 pt conversions we had receivers open. Walker looked good. 3 chances to win.

Id say let walker and stauss each play a half against MT and CN.

bisongold
09-05-2004, 12:31 AM
I was looking for the story-book finish like at Missoula, but it didn't happen. But to be in that game with 6 turnovers was a defensive miracle!! Hats off to them. The "O" needs work. Walker seems to have a much better touch than Tony and is more mobile. Will be interesting the next couple weeks.

Bisonfan1
09-05-2004, 12:38 AM
Without Question Walker had the better game at QB, I commend the staff for bringing him in the game, an off day by Tony, it will be a hard call for next weeks game, do you bring in the hot hand, or start Stauss to try and get his rhythm back, and confidence back. This should have been a Bison victory. Hats off to the defense who kept the Bison in the game and gave the Bison an opportunity to win.

wfduck
09-05-2004, 12:47 AM
Jason Jordan

Bisonguy
09-05-2004, 12:47 AM
Great game, but way too many mistakes (on both teams). What was there, 10 TO's between both teams?

Great job by Walker in relief duty, awesome job by the D for shutting down Jackson and not allowing a TD.

NDSU had opportunities to win the game, but just couldn't execute.

This game reminded me of the SCSU game last year.....

Bisonguy
09-05-2004, 12:48 AM
Jason Jordan
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Herd_Mentality
09-05-2004, 12:53 AM
Jason Jordan

Dude...don't you believe in jinxing your team? Argh!

SDbison
09-05-2004, 12:55 AM
My 2 cents worth regarding today's game:
1. Bison seemed to move the ball at first, but then mistakes plaqued them.
2. Too many interceptions, a couple were good plays by UNC with one a lucky bounce for UNC. Also, too many untimely penalties.
3. Stauss was terrible, actually with a capital T.
4. Coach's game plan was two conservative even considering Stauss did not have his head in the game.
5. The Bison have to start throwing the ball down the field early in the game and occasionally thereafter to keep a defense honest.
6. Other than the Montana game NDSU seems to be in a two to three year period with an inability to win the big games (NOTE: Montana was a completely unexpected win).
7. Walker was outstanding. He better start and play the majority of the next two games.
8. #51 for UNC was completely offsides on the two point conversion attempt. How could the refs miss that one. Even though #51 did not make a play he sure fouled the blocking scheme up and enabled the quick penetration by UNC.
9. Too bad the Bison mistakes continued to plague them right until the end. Bad field goal snap / hold cost them the game.
10. Even in light of the screw ups the Bison should have beat UNC today. UNC was lucky to walk away with a win.
11. Still no TD's scored against the Bison this year!
12. It sucks that NDSU now has to play two underling teams that should be defeated by a combined 10 TD's.
13. Mike McFeely is a horses ass! (just had to say it)

BisonMav
09-05-2004, 01:00 AM
Jason Jordan

Jeff Bentrim

fight_on_sioux
09-05-2004, 01:03 AM
I watched the game today with my little bro (attends NDSU) and it was a pretty fun game to watch. NDSU's defense was outstanding all day long, but didn't get enough help from the offense to win the game.

The Northern Colorado player was offsides, by a mile... :-/

Congrats on a good showing though.

whatever_
09-05-2004, 01:03 AM
No kidding...to have 6 turnovers and only give up 15 points...WOW!

KTF
09-05-2004, 01:10 AM
I agree completely with SDbison but how about the fumble with Travis White. I say he was down, darn refs... I do think that NDSU is the better team, (especially Walker)! Too bad last weeks game didn't reveal that Stauss may have a bad year (game(s)). Maybe the serious relationship is affecting his decision making, though I can't fault him for that, he does have a life off the field. If Walker is this good, I want to see what Parsons would like, doesn't he have faster wheels then Walker?

SDbison
09-05-2004, 01:16 AM
Does anyone else think the Bison need to start throwing the ball down field to keep a defense from playing everyone up in the box? Seems this has been a problem for the past couple years. What is up with the offense not showing up until late in games? And finally the Bison need to start winning some big games when they are expected to have a close or tough game. When was the last time we beat a comparible foe? Victories against Valpo, Montana Tech, and Carson Newman are expected by a football program like NDSU.

Bisonguy
09-05-2004, 01:20 AM
They should have started the PA when they were throwing 8 in the box (well, they had 8 in the box for nearly all the game- but start up the PA in late 2nd or 3rd).

UNC committed less errors in the game. That's why they won.

bisongold
09-05-2004, 01:28 AM
Hard to believe but Valpo won 41-0. Unfortunately, you're only as good as the last game you ( meaning we) play. We showed we belong, but yes, we have to start winning the close ones!!!

bisongold
09-05-2004, 01:44 AM
Interesting to note the announcers bias towards UNC. With 3 interceptions at half-time, we were only down by 6. I don't call that dominance in any league. I felt at half that we probably could win with everything going against us and still being in the game. Our special teams let us down today as well as the offense. We left Staus in 1 interception too long. He wasn't in the zone today , and someone needed to pull the plug. Sometimes you just have a day like that...seemed like tunnel vision all day. The big fake field goal was huge also... but honestly Walker held on to the ball way too long on that play. I will never second guess a coach for a call like that. I still think it was a gutsey call and surprised the heck out of me. Only in hind-sight can you second quess that call. It was soooooo close!! Again, so many things went against us and we took it to the wire! Congratulations players and coaches!!
Lets's fill the Fargo Dome for Montana Tech and not be fickle fans. There is strength in numbers and let's show this team and coaches we are begind them!

Bisonfan1
09-05-2004, 01:45 AM
As far as Im concerned the final score does not indicate who the winner was, SDBISON you summed up the game real well, *and yes , MIKE MCTOUCHMEFEELY is a horses ass, but who really cares what he thinks. Games Over, we have next week to look forward to. Taped the game, yes there was a big time offsides, and yes reminds me of a game in Minnesota last year. This was the Super bowl of the GWFC today, Bison lose. *This was a very good football game, this game should not set the tone for the rest of the year. Hope to see the lots and seats full next week like week one. Who cares who the Bison are playing next week, The Bison have a home game for us all to attend, and thats what really matters to me. GO BISON !!!. Congrats to UNC on the Victory.

silkamilkamonico
09-05-2004, 01:47 AM
someone tell me what all this mike mcfeeley stuff is going on...?

iamabison
09-05-2004, 01:55 AM
This one stings less because let's face it, it's not going to cost us a playoff spot. However:

1) somehow, the Bison have to "re-learn", as a program, how to come out firing in a big game on the road. this felt like a replay of UND last year, or UNC a few years before, or take your pick of any number of road games NDSU has taken the first 2 or 3 quarters of the game off

2) tony stauss seems like a good guy, and good leader, but since the first few games last year, he seems really tentative in the pocket, and just doesn't seem to see the field well

3) since there will be no playoffs even if the Bison win out, why not play Walker? He could be a 4 year QB and be a phenom in '07

4) an amazing defense....to play that poorly, and still have a shot to win speaks volumes

wfduck
09-05-2004, 02:02 AM
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
without digging into my NDSU archives: didn't Jason Jordan start the semi-final game vs Delta State....maybe even win the quarterfinal game? as a young underclassman? Everybody was saying he's the MAN....

all I'm trying to say is don't put Tony Stauss out to pasture just yet. One game does not make the QB...either good or bad.

silkamilkamonico
09-05-2004, 02:04 AM
without digging into my NDSU archives: didn't Jason Jordan start the semi-final game vs Delta State....maybe even win the quarterfinal game? as a young underclassman? Everybody was saying he's the MAN....

all I'm trying to say is don't put Tony Stauss out to pasture just yet. One game does not make the QB...either good or bad.

well he was the difference of this game.......feel bad for the guy he's a good guy but he single handedly cost us this game......not a good start at all to an important year for us at all.....

wfduck
09-05-2004, 02:13 AM
well he was the difference of this game.......feel bad for the guy he's a good guy but he single handedly cost us this game......not a good start at all to an important year for us at all.....

win as a team and lose as a team. yes he had a tough game...this is a team sport

Bisonfan1
09-05-2004, 02:14 AM
Im sure you all know that Tony will start next week, and I have no problem with that, It was an off day unfortunetly for Tony and the Bison. It is comforting to know that a young QB can come into a game like todays under that much pressure and perform that well. Tony will bounce back. This duo reminds me of Simdorn - Owen. Ummm, what a possibility here. GO BISON !!! ( Oh and the McFeely thing, read last Sundays Fargo Forum. Read his article and you will know what we are talking about)

tony
09-05-2004, 02:27 AM
Kinda wondered if this wasn't going to be a great day - my computer fragged itself and I spent much of the day resurrecting this replacement. Anyway, back to the topic:

Gotta admire Coach Bohl for sticking with the game plan. UNC's defense was worn down completely by the fourth quarter. I think that had something to do with Walker's effectiveness but *man* he can play. If Stauss can learn to stop looking at his receiver from the moment he gets the snap until he unloads the ball, he'll have better games.

1. Northern Colorado is a very good team. Their secondary is outstanding. Vincent Jackson - yeah, I'm sure he's got an NFL career, but Reed Doughty is The Man on that team.
2. My favorite pre-Walker highlight: Popowski pulling on a swing pass and completely engulfing one of UNC's defensive backs (When Popowski landed on top of him, all I could see was two fingers of one hand, the left one was still twitching a little).
3. How does a team lose a game when they outgain the other team 2-1 on the ground and in the air? Answer: five interceptions, two missed FGs, and a blown call/fumble (he was on the ground *and* had possession.)
4. This team is very well-disciplined. Very few penalties.
5. The guys played with a lot of heart - they never looked panicked and nobody seemed to let down for a second (although I got a little worried in the 3rd quarter when UNC reeled off two long runs in a row).
6. Craig Dahl. An amazing game. That was an all-time great hit on their QB. Snell had another one (although the announcers credited Ware).
7. Jake Johnson... I hope he's all right. Speaking of all-time greats, he's one of the best warriors NDSU has ever had on special teams.
8. Terrance Fleming... saved a TD.
9. The defense... awesome.
10. That fake screen to the right with the dump to White on the right... beauty.
11. 3rd down conversions - NDSU owned 3rd down, that's a credit to everybody on the offense.
12. Those last three drives, especially the 98-yard drive with time running out, were ones for the ages. If there was any justice, NDSU would have gotten the win.

All I know is that I'd hate to be Montana Tech next week.

BisonFan
09-05-2004, 02:29 AM
Well put Tony!

tony
09-05-2004, 02:30 AM
Oh yeah, can't forget Steffes - great game. Chapman looked like a freshman at times, but no ordinary freshman. Kind of Tony Satter type freshman.

BTW, I thought the announcers were good, not too biased (although I kind of laughed when they said UNC had dominated the first half). Heck, UNC is the reason this game was on TV, not NDSU... if we want announcers with a slight NDSU bias, it has to be the other way around.

Average UNC scoring drive: less than 6 plays, less than 23 yards. That's your offense and special teams putting the defense into an unwinnable situation.

Bisonguy
09-05-2004, 02:44 AM
I thought the secondary played pretty well today, as well. (all of the secondary)

SDbison
09-05-2004, 03:06 AM
Are the game stats available anywhere yet?
Another way to put todays game (Grading):
Defense: B (some missed tackles, overpursuit, QB rush needs improvement)
Coaching / Game Plan: C (more deep passes needed, less rushes up the gut, replace Stauss sooner)
Offense (1st 3 Qtr's): F (need I say more)
Special Teams: D (punting, FG execution, and kick coverage could be much better)
Offense (4th Qtr): A (need I say more)
Hate to say it as we have a whole season ahead of us yet , but I am already looking forward to hosting, or should I say roasting, UNC next year at the dome. Will be great to show them what a home field advantage is.

Bisonguy
09-05-2004, 03:08 AM
Coaching / Game Plan: C *(more deep passes needed, less rushes up the gut, replace Stauss sooner)
Offense (1st 3 Qtr's): F *(need I say more)
Special Teams: D (punting, FG execution, and kick coverage could be much better)
Offense (4th Qtr): A (need I say more) *
Hate to say it as we have a whole season ahead of us yet , but I am already looking forward to hosting, or should I say roasting, UNC next year at the dome. *Will be great to show them what a home field advantage is.

here's the stats-http://www.gobison.com/stats/football_2004-09-04_1094343103.html

NDSU dominated, except in that TO category *:-/

Edit to statement above- and redzone scoring category (both had five attempts).

silkamilkamonico
09-05-2004, 04:11 AM
Coaching / Game Plan: C *(more deep passes needed, less rushes up the gut, replace Stauss sooner)
Offense (1st 3 Qtr's): F *(need I say more)
Offense (4th Qtr): A (need I say more) *
Hate to say it as we have a whole season ahead of us yet , but I am already looking forward to hosting, or should I say roasting, UNC next year at the dome. *Will be great to show them what a home field advantage is.

man I would give the defense an A-...they more than held their own and kept the Bison in it with the repeated great field position UNC was getting....

SDbison
09-05-2004, 04:19 AM
I did give the Defense an A- at first but changed it when I was making comments. That Andre Wilson dude got too many yards by just cutting across the grain as we overpursued and made poor arm tackles. If it were not for great NDSU secondary play today and a so, so UNC QB there would have been much more UNC scoring. The Bison definitely need a better pass rush without taking risks with blitzes.

Bisonguy
09-05-2004, 04:30 AM
Hey!!!

Here's a question for everyone-

I thought the NCAA prohibited artificial noise making devices? UNC had Thundersticks and cowbells (obviously some NDSU fans had cowbells, also). What's up with that? ??? ???

I saw Ferris State had Thundersticks at a game this year, as well.

silkamilkamonico
09-05-2004, 04:41 AM
here's the stats-http://www.gobison.com/stats/football_2004-09-04_1094343103.html

NDSU dominated, except in that TO category *:-/

Edit to statement above- and redzone scoring category (both had five attempts).

after looking at all those stats...from total yards, to avg per attempts, to Vincent Jacksons numbers, to overall game stats, it makes me sick to think we lost this one.....people around d1-AA and voters for the polls, etc....arent goona see how we dominated this game and kept a first day draft wr completely in check....they are only goona see that we lost.....which like someone said before we should have with all the to's.....

SDbison
09-05-2004, 04:45 AM
Noisemakers appear to only be prohibited (or actually enforced) at the Fargodome. No explaination. Just seems the officials / announcer wants to take the fans out of the game.

Bison_Dan
09-05-2004, 02:50 PM
If Tony doesn't have the worst day in his FB life we win the game easy. If that's the best in the GWC then it's all down hill from here. SDSU got beat 52-0 by Cal Davis. Tony's problem is he waits a spilt second to long to throw the ball giving the defender time to close. Walker comes in and with the receivers running the same routes deliveres the ball to his receivers at their cut and there's seperation between them. Tony's over thinking his passes and with Walker it's all instinctive. We were the better team but you have to win on the scoreboard.

4mcruenomore
09-05-2004, 04:52 PM
I am depressed that we lost, but look on the bright side: We saw some impressive things yesterday, good defense, good running by young backs, and very impressive YOUNG QB. Look at what is to come, I think that we were just a little nervous, homefield has a lot to do with it. We have a lot of good things coming our way!!

Flintstone
09-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Watching Tony under center last year and the first two games this year, I can't help but notice how uncomfortable he looks out there. Watch his feet, he shuffles them the whole time he is under center. Has anybody else noticed this?

I think Tony should get a chance to redeem himself against MT Tech. Hopefully he can get on track again. (One thing to note, Walker looks to have a lot more foot speed than Tony)

Steffes and Chapman are both very good backs. It looks to me like Steffes is quite a bit tougher to bring down (Doesn't get taken down by an arm tackle), but I am still waiting for Chapman to break a long one. I think they are a really good one-two punch, keeping them both fresh throughout the game.

Isaak Snell had a hell of a game. It seemed like every time there was a play in the backfield he was in the middle of it, even if the announcers didn't know who he was.

4mcruenomore
09-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Yeah, Tony looks either very nervous or very uncomfortable, something isn't quite right...

Bisonfan1234
09-05-2004, 05:10 PM
A lot of you need your head's checked.

First off, yes, the defense played their best game ever. To hold UNC to no TDs after 6 TOs is unheard of.

Now, to say that the offense lost the game is plain foolish.

The offensive line was pushing UNC around all day like little girls. The RBs were hitting the holes like hammers.

Simply put, when you don't have a passing attack, UNC can load up against the run and there is little you can do.

ONE person simply couldn't get it done yesterday, and that was Stauss. What a horrible day for him.

I fully expect him to come out of it and build confidence against the next 2 cupcakes.

One other thing, Jackson had no catches right? Jackson who? LOL! I loved how the announcers would hype him up as an NFL player. What a joke.

Bisonguy
09-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Jackson had two catches for eight yards.

4mcruenomore
09-05-2004, 05:43 PM
I am a big fan of Tony, but in the clutch situations???? Things need to get done. It doen's matter if you throw for 1 million yards vs. a cupcake, it's the tough games that are going to matter. Now don't jump down my throat over this. Dominance is being cool under pressure.

Bisonfan1234
09-05-2004, 08:32 PM
I'm simply trying to say that Stauss is our starter, not Walker.

We need to support him in this rought time until he gets his rhythm back, not question him.

Bisonguy
09-05-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm simply trying to say that Stauss is our starter, not Walker.

We need to support him in this rought time until he gets his rhythm back, not question him.

True.

BisonFan
09-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Tony is a class act. *In post-game interviews he was Steve Walker's number one supporter. *Tony also put the blame for the loss on his own shoulders. This shows a great deal maturity and honesty at a time when it would be so easy to make excuses.

4mcruenomore
09-05-2004, 09:50 PM
I still believe in him, just stating my opinion. I just hope we can get back on track.

JBB
09-05-2004, 11:30 PM
Football is an immediate game. Changes have to follow the ebb and flow. Maybe its best to let Walker start against Montana Tech and keep it that way until Stauss wins the job back?

4mcruenomore
09-06-2004, 12:28 AM
That is a possibility, but I have also seen "burn-out" also, this is where a star player is so good they play a bunch or start when a freshman, sophomore. Then when they are a junior, senior, they stink or just can't handle it. I would hate to see that happen, plus I would hate to see a great senior screwed out of his last year of play also, I am really torn on this one.

WYOBISONMAN
09-06-2004, 02:20 PM
I just got back from Greeley last night and have a few thoughts on the game.

1) *The Alumni Association did a fantastic job on the tailgate party and all of us who were there had a great time.

2) *Kent did a great job not being a "partisan" Bison fan, and as exciting as that game was.....not showing Bison colors would have been a tough job! ;)

3) *The Bison Defense was incredible. *Holding the Bears to just 5 FG was great.

4) *Tony Stauss looked horrible. *Some of the worst QB work I have seen. *I think Bohl made the switch at a good time. *You have to support your starter, but with the problems he was having on Saturday, Walker was a great choice.

5) *This may be a bit controversial, but after the leadership and the poise shown by Walker on Saturday, he should be the starter next week. * Stauss has not been a real solid QB. *He has been good, but not great. *What I saw in Greeley on Saturday from Walker was great. *A Freshman that could lead the team like that and creat that kind of immediate energy....WOW! *Walker is the future for the Bison. *Let's play him and move on. *

6) *UNC will get beat before the season is over, in the conference.

7) *If Walker is the starter NDSU may loose one more game, but no more.

8-) *Good god....let's be a little more creative on some of the play calling. *Steffes is a great player, but not up the middle on 3 plays out of 4.

WYOBISONMAN
09-06-2004, 02:36 PM
....One final observation....that football stadium at UNC (Nottingham Field) is a joke as a DI-AA facility. *I think that our high school here in Green River, WY seats as many people. *No "big time" feel at all to the UNC venue. *But, there was beer there!!

Also, Pat Simmers does a great job of pouring a beer with out getting a head on it. *I think Pat was the top beer pourer at the Alumni gathering...hats off to Pat!! ;)

Bisonfan1234
09-06-2004, 02:50 PM
During the game the new UNC AD was talking stadium expansion.

Did you see any of this? If this is true then perhaps they'll start to get more serious about FB, scholarships, etc.

WYOBISONMAN
09-06-2004, 03:05 PM
There was no "construction" or anything like that going on. There is really only one side with permanent seating (the west side). There were portables that went up about 6 rows on the north endzone that the students sat in, and then there was a pathetic little set of temp bleachers on the east side.....and that was only one tiny section that went up about 12 rows (no one sat in those). While our bleachers on the west side were noice, it was nothing outstanding. Much smaller than one side of Concordia's field.

roadwarrior
09-06-2004, 04:00 PM
The UNC stadium expansion is adding to that one section of bleachers on the east side to extend it from the 20 to the 20. The footings are there, but it didnt look like much was happening at the moment on the project. The new seats will be nice for the visiting fans as we can sit as a group, but will not change the stadium into a big time venue.

roadwarrior
09-06-2004, 04:01 PM
And only 5300 fans??? Come on UNC!

bisonranch
09-06-2004, 09:56 PM
I didn't see much of the game as I was supposed to be at a wedding. From what I did see, the announcers said UNC was having a hard time stopping the NDSU running attack. They still said UNC was dominating with the score only 6-0 at half, what was that ??? Looks like if we continue to play well and don't beat ourselves like in this game, a 8-10 win season should still be possible. Tony should also be the man starting for next week, hw needs a chance to get back the the level he's shown he can play at and Tech should be good practice. Also need to start using those speedsters Burrell and White more down field. Steffes and Chapman can't do it all. D-fence was impressive! Total yards was heavily in our favor, this could have been a BISON W.

bisongold
09-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Definitely start Tony again but don't ever let it get that out of hand again before changing. Everyone has a bad day but now that a backup is ready, no need to let it go from bad to worse ( for the kids sake and the teams!)

kchats
09-06-2004, 11:11 PM
The Bison offense does best when they pass to their tight ends early in the game. ;D The play calling became conservative when Stauss began throwing passes directly to UNC defenders without pressure. If there was gambling on the game you might think he was throwing the game. I haven't had the opportunity to watch many of the Bison games I live in Topeka, Kansas so I listen online. It seems to me that Stauss takes quite a while to get into a rhythm and when playing against quality opponents it can cost the team the game. Walker looked great but he had no pressure because it would take alot to be worse than Stauss in 6 minutes of game time. I trust Coach Bohl he is a great coach. I just hope that we can keep him until he gets the program to where he wants it. When he gets it there we'll be winning division I-AA Championships. UNC was totally confused by our zone blitz defense.

uncbear
09-06-2004, 11:17 PM
....One final observation....that football stadium at UNC (Nottingham Field) is a joke as a DI-AA facility. I think that our high school here in Green River, WY seats as many people. No "big time" feel at all to the UNC venue. But, there was beer there!!

Also, Pat Simmers does a great job of pouring a beer with out getting a head on it. I think Pat was the top beer pourer at the Alumni gathering...hats off to Pat!! ;)

I agree--Nottingham is a joke and the turn-out by the UNC students was pathetic. UNC may have won that game but NDSU should feel good about where it is at. Somehow UNC won but with our fan support we do not even have a football "program" we have a team that happens to be ok but there is no system in place to keep the team improving. If things don't change it won't be long before teams like the Bison can mark UNC as a sure win on their schedule each year. I was embarrassed by everything about our showing. :-[

And UNC will lose a game in the GWFC unless things really change, so the Bison still have a great chance at the title.

JBB
09-07-2004, 12:28 AM
I thought the game looked great on TV. The stands looked packed and the fans were into it. Lots of good crowd shots. In order for NDSU to win we have to turn the 3 plays the UNC defense shut down around. We have to hold them and score on those plays. We didnt do that. UNC made the plays. It looked good to me, sure I was disappointed but came away feeling very confident about the BISON. They are a good team that has to learn to win. UNC is a good team that could be on a roll. Good Luck next week against Maine.

kchats
09-07-2004, 12:33 AM
What 3 plays are you talking about? ??? If Stauss doesn't make 5 poor passes, right to UNC defenders, the Bison win the game. Stauss made 5 unforced errors which cost the Bison dearly. The first interception hurt the most because a score on the first drive would have really changed the complexion of the game. He better play better next week. Montana Tech is a poor team so he better have a near perfect performance like Walker did last week.

99Bison
09-07-2004, 01:26 AM
Nothing agains stauss as a person, but in sports there are winners and there are good players. Stauss in big games over the past 2 years has been average at best. Those games are where the true prime time players step it up. It is not about stats. The QB really has to be the leader or a large part of stepping it up. Walker seems have the winner potential, and Stauss has proven not to. Sitting Walker now may take the fire out of him. Don't do it, he is the future!

Besides, we have had a few other freshman QB's get a chance when the "starter" performed poorly and they turned out quite all right!

KTF
09-07-2004, 01:34 AM
Why not let Stauss start on saturday, see how he does. If it is avergae then put Walker back in, if Tony has a good game then reevaluate. I would guess if the game with C-N gets a bit ugly Bohl will pull Stauss and put Walker in earlier (halftime).

Bisonfan1234
09-07-2004, 03:54 AM
I don't understand how any of you can even pretend there's a controversy.

Stauss is our man, plain and simple.

He had a bad day, it happens.

He's a senior captain and a great leader.

dnk
09-07-2004, 04:56 AM
Coming from a different angle on the quarterback thing.
Should it be about how good or bad Tony was or should
it be about Steve and the way he motivated the offense.
Does he deserve a start because of the way he played?

SDbison
09-07-2004, 05:23 AM
Well obviously there is a QB controversy from the fan's perspective. Seems to be 50-50 from the messages posted on this board. I know Stauss has the capability to be a good quarterback, but nothing from his first year and two games of this year indicate he is great. I think at minimum Tony is on notice that he has to step it up and start showing some confidence in his throwing and decision making abilities. I also think there seems to be a problem with Tony being able to connect with receivers in the mid to deep passes. The excuse that NDSU now runs a west coast offense is a joke. If I were an opposing team who had studied game film why not play 8 players in the box. Until there is evidence the Bison can throw downfield there is no threat. With the speedsters NDSU has there should be a deep toss to them now and then. This would stop the 8 in the box defense in a hurry. I predict we will see Walker and Stauss in all the remaining games. Either there will be blowouts, or I expect the other games to be close and some doubt late in the game as to Stauss's ability to get the job done. I think the coaches now know Walker can get it done. How can you deny the poise, athleticism and leadership that Walker showed as a freshman. His performance was no fluke. BTW, Walker did not just step in when the momentum was going NDSU's way as Jason Jordon did. Walker set the tone and executed to perfection. During NDSU's waiting period to the playoff's I say Walker is the future, lets develop him now and see what he has got. If he falters then Tony should get an opportunity to win his job back.

WYOBISONMAN
09-07-2004, 05:30 AM
Stauss had too many passes that hit defenders right in the numbers. *I also visited with some NDSU fans from Fargo that told me he was not all that hot against Valpo. *It is time to play for the future, and while Stauss is a good guy, Walker surely earned starting honors and it makes sense to give him as much experience as he can handle. *Football is an important business for NDSU and we need to be playing winners.

---That being said, Bohl is in a better position to make the call than I.....

SDbison
09-07-2004, 05:33 AM
Ditto Wyo..man

Bisonguy
09-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Shouldn't Chuck Wiest be the starting WR using your logic? He had an awesome game against Mankato in 2001, yet he wasn't a starter last year or this year????

JBB
09-07-2004, 12:48 PM
I think the coach did the right thing.

WYOBISONMAN
09-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Hopefully Stauss will have a much better performance against Montana Tech. I suspect that if he is as flat as he was against UNC that Bohl will pull him sooner, although we should easily beat Tech just as we beat Valpo with out a top notch performance.

After Tech as the season progresses the opponents only get tougher and I am sure that Bohl would pull Stauss much quicker if he contunues to have flat performances.

I also hope that we are working hard on our punting game as that was not where is should be with what I saw at UNC.

KTF
09-07-2004, 02:29 PM
The punting game was fine during the Valpo game, it looked like Mike got a bit nervous as the rush was quicker than what Valpo could bring. I think he just needs some more experience.

Schemer
09-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Stauss had too many passes that hit defenders right in the numbers. *I also visited with some NDSU fans from Fargo that told me he was not all that hot against Valpo. *It is time to play for the future, and while Stauss is a good guy, Walker surely earned starting honors and it makes sense to give him as much experience as he can handle. *Football is an important business for NDSU and we need to be playing winners.

---That being said, Bohl is in a better position to make the call than I.....

I disagree on 'playing for the future' - Stauss had a bad game. Man, you guys sure get antsy when things go south. Stick with him....I think the next couple of games will show he's better than what he showed on Saturday against UNC.
I'm giving him one more game. If he wins it, he's good (at least for one more game)

IowaBison
09-07-2004, 04:23 PM
JC, if Stauss leads us to a loss to Tech!

if Stauss leads us to a loss to Tech!

JC

Bisonguy
09-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Wasn't Stauss the greatest thing since sliced bread after the Montana game last year? Maybe he just had a bad game ::)(and a mediocre one). Give the guy a chance, he is a student-athlete afterall. Football isn't the only thing in his life.