PDA

View Full Version : Bison QB for next week

kchats
09-06-2004, 11:18 PM
Any news on who will start at QB for next week. Coach Bohl said he would make his decision today and that it would be final, no controversy. I have alot of respect for Coach Bohl we are lucky to have him. ;D I have been waiting for the press conference link on Bison Zone from the Fargo Forum but it isn't up yet. ???

kchats
09-07-2004, 12:27 AM
Tony Stauss is still the starter. Coach Bohl said he viewed the mistakes made by Tony as correctable ones. He said they looked at everything Stauss has done since he joined the program and decided to stick with him. I hope last week's game helps Tony focus and improve because if he does that against UCD or some of the other Great West Teams it'll be a long year. ::)

JBB
09-07-2004, 12:31 AM
I like that. Bohl makes his decision after a proper reflection and backs it up with good sense. The pressure is on Tony now.

MinotBison
09-07-2004, 02:14 AM
I think it's a good call as well, although if the game goes as expected it may be difficult to get a good read on either Stauss or Walker.

Bisonguy
09-07-2004, 03:30 AM
Walker will also see playing time, whether or not the game is out of hand.

On a sidenote- FOX news had a phone conversation with Montana Tech's head coach- He said he's having nightmares about the Bison after a tough loss to UNC. He is supposedly waking up every two hours "screaming and crying".

Bisonfan1234
09-07-2004, 03:55 AM
Stauss.

However, with the opponent being almost as bad as Valpo, we should see plenty of Walker in the 2nd half.

Bisonguy
09-07-2004, 04:01 AM
Stauss.

However, with the opponent being almost as bad as Valpo, we should see plenty of Walker in the 2nd half.

In the press conference Bohl said that Walker will see playing time no matter what the score. Stauss, of course, will start. He's a captain and leader of the team.

somebison
09-07-2004, 01:52 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=69117&section=Sports

Head coach Craig Bohl said Monday that Stauss will be the team's quarterback Saturday when the Bison host Montana Tech at the Fargodome. He was yanked after throwing five interceptions in a 15-13 loss at Northern Colorado on Saturday.

BisonMav
09-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Sounds like a good decision to me.

IowaBison
09-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Though I think Bohl should have pulled Stauss after the fourth int, I don't think it was a difficult decision to stick with him, he's earned the spot.

The only scary thing is that if Stauss doesn't have a good season, we may not pull him until mid-October as he better not give an int to Tech nor CN, at that time we might be out of contention for a Conference Title and destined for a .500 season

airmail
09-07-2004, 11:49 PM
I agree with JBB. :'(

Bohl giving Stauss the opportunity puts all the pressure on Tony. If he screws up this week, (although it may be hidden under the guise of an inferior opponent) I wouldn't be surprised to see him sat down for a week, and then back in.

Ultimately, Bohl is going to keep giving him a chance, even if it isn't really appealing to those of us on the "outside." You don't sit a team captain unless you absolutely have to. Waves like that will rock many ships down the road...

Bisonguy
09-08-2004, 02:23 AM
There's a little feature on Tony on the WDAY 6:00 news tonight. Says he has a chip on his shoulder- hopefully he doesn't put too much pressure on himself. -http://www.wday.com/

Also, tomorrow night KVLY will be talking with Stauss and Walker- here's the link to their sports webcast-http://www.kvlytv11.com/sports_webcast.shtml

Bisonfan1234
09-08-2004, 04:13 AM
hopefully he doesn't put too much pressure on himsel

I share the same worry. He seems like a guy who will break his back physicaly to make sure a UNC performance doesn't happen again when all he needs is to get his mind right, forget about UNC, and get ready to kick MTU's butt.

jjbluecw
09-09-2004, 05:19 AM
I disagree with most of you. I think Walker should get the nod. Yes, Tonys passes are correctable. If he hasn't figured it out yet as a senior when is he? I guess I am in the minority in which I was never really impressed with Tony last year. I never thought he was more than mediocre and never really rose to the occasion during a big game "see UND". Walker seems to have something special although to early to tell he may have "IT". I would like to the qbs alternate series for the next game or two and let the main man be determined on the field.

99Bison
09-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Agreed jjbluecw!

Bisonguy
09-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Walker will be getting his chances in upcoming games. Bohl has repeatedly stated that Walker will be seeing game time in the first half, no matter what the score is.

Walker had a performance against UNC, BUT the plays Walker had called for him were more aggressive (i.e. four wide sets), UNC was pretty much just trying to stop the big play (i.e. Prevent), and it was only one game. ::)

You don't pull the starting spot for a captain and team leader after one bad performance. It's bad for team morale. Walker showed a lot of very good things (especially checking down receivers), but wait until he has more than a half game of playing time before proclaiming he's better than Stauss.

IowaBison
09-10-2004, 08:50 PM
i agree with your morale point,

but the kid went 10 for 10 in a pretty stressful situation, we're lucky we have a decent number 2 and not two mediocre players fighting it out.

Bisonguy
09-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Walker is a more than a capable backup, probably could even start.

I just want to see Walker get in the game earlier (hopefully they rotate Stauss and Walker every two possessions), so a better comparison can be made. If Walker can outperform Stauss under the same circumstances and for more than a portion of a game, then Bohl should maybe look into who should start a little better. Until then, Tony's the man!

IowaBison
09-10-2004, 09:05 PM
then why not start him?

we've already seen that stauss can throw five picks against a less than stellar secondary

Bisonguy
09-10-2004, 09:13 PM
If Walker can prove that he's a better QB than Stauss (i.e. under the same game circumstances- not a defensive scheme that's willing to give up good sized passes) then maybe he will earn the starting spot. You don't get to be a starter by someone hoping you will do well. You have to prove that you're capable of starting, and that's how you earn the starting spot.

NDSU_grad
09-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Do you guys remember the game Graig Gorder had against UNO in the 2000 playoffs. After that performance alot of Bison fans (myself included) were grumbling that he should have started all year and were talking about how great he would be the next year. Well we all know what happened. Coach Bohl has had countless opportunities to monitor Walker's progress and I think we as fans should not question the coaching staff as to who they think should start at QB. Rant over. :)

BisonFan
09-10-2004, 11:33 PM
TRUST THE COACHES!!!!!!!!!!

dnk
09-11-2004, 05:13 AM
Coach Bohl has said many times that Steve Walker is a
very confident young man and is a very laid back.
At the teamaker luncheon on thursday Coach Bohl stated that Steve performs much better on game day
than he does on the practice field. I interpreted that as
meaning it was hard for the for the coaches to evaluate
him based on practice. I agree BisonFan, trust the
coaches. :)

whatever_
09-11-2004, 10:48 AM
Yep, no way Walker should start....

Not yet.

He showed he's got great poise out there...at leats for 2 series. Until he has time to prove he can do it for a half or more...Stauss is the man. Just my opinion.