PDA

View Full Version : Spring Football 2024

southcliffbison
03-28-2024, 06:04 PM
Crickets sounds coming out of spring football practice.........no news ? no improvements in individual players worth noting ? No standouts so far ?? No Nothing ? WTH !!!

Professor Chaos
03-28-2024, 06:41 PM
There's plenty out there - this is just what I pulled from Bison 1660's Facebook page:

Spring practice day 1 (3/20): https://fb.watch/r2I2PtWY5U/
Spring practice day 2 (3/21): https://fb.watch/r2H_U-5MA2/
Polasek on The Insiders (3/21): https://www.spreaker.com/episode/ndsu-football-head-coach-tim-polasek-on-the-insiders-as-spring-practice-is-underway-march-21st-2024--59128638?fbclid=IwAR3i01gXBJVEJOke1ua8zaZwVu9b5ySJ BuN0HWWIIrDWetrLM6EeRInrzOQ
Cam Miller on The Insiders (3/22): https://www.spreaker.com/episode/bison-starting-qb-cam-miller-on-the-insiders-after-the-start-of-spring-practice-march-22nd-2024--59140538?fbclid=IwAR0OXqwgRsZcOCK1PCdODKT7DZ19wq_f G0McLu4znYdI8F0zcSU6vj2xhXg
Cole Wisniewski on the Insiders (3/26): https://www.spreaker.com/episode/bison-star-safety-cole-wisniewski-on-the-insiders-from-ndsu-pro-day-march-26th-2024--59183068
Carlton Littlejohn on the Insiders (3/27): https://www.spreaker.com/episode/former-bison-player-turned-coach-carlton-littlejohn-joins-the-insiders-march-27th-2024--59198283
Polasek on the Insiders (3/28): https://www.spreaker.com/episode/ndsu-football-head-coach-tim-polasek-on-the-insiders-march-28th-2024--59210327

Pretty sure Izzo has had a lot of interviews as well talking about spring ball so far.

southcliffbison
03-28-2024, 06:47 PM
I guess I need to listen to Izzo's podcasts (it takes so much time, tho).... shame on me.........I like reading that spring football stuff on BV; after all, this is one place where you can read the truth.........

Professor Chaos
03-28-2024, 07:23 PM
I guess I need to listen to Izzo's podcasts (it takes so much time, tho).... shame on me.........I like reading that spring football stuff on BV; after all, this is one place where you can read the truth.........
Some names I've heard of young guys who are looking very promising:

WR Mekhi Collins
WR Bryce Lance
LB Nathaniel Staehling
RB Marty Brown
CB Najee Nelson

Polasek also mentioned being encouraged by the offensive line group. Sounds like a lot of emphasis being put on tackling - Polasek knows how to talk the talk when it comes to talking about competing to get better and showing the toughness and physicality that is a hallmark of Bison football so it's easy to get pumped up listening to him talk. I've also heard a lot of rave reviews for new Safeties coach Devin Klieman.

One interesting nuggets from Polasek's interview on 3/21 was he mentioned wanting to see the guys show a little more fire when they're out there competing in practice - I thought that was an interesting comment. I'm thinking the intensity of practice is getting amped up a little from the Entz era (and I'm sure Entz-led practices weren't a church service by any means).

TAILG8R
03-28-2024, 08:12 PM
I heard an interesting anecdote from Grant Olsen about the installation of the defense and how TP wants to install starting with the basics and work through those even if the offense can see what's coming because it's not about winning plays in spring ball, it's about the players truly understanding their alignments and fits. Made me wonder how different that style is from the Entz era and possibly why we saw the defense decline and heard comments about "getting back to basics" halfway through the year last year. Were they trying to do too much too fast instead of just teaching the guys how to line-up, find their responsibility and tackle.

steelbison
03-29-2024, 04:38 AM

WR Mekhi Collins
WR Bryce Lance
LB Nathaniel Staehling
RB Marty Brown
CB Najee Nelson

Polasek also mentioned being encouraged by the offensive line group. Sounds like a lot of emphasis being put on tackling - Polasek knows how to talk the talk when it comes to talking about competing to get better and showing the toughness and physicality that is a hallmark of Bison football so it's easy to get pumped up listening to him talk. I've also heard a lot of rave reviews for new Safeties coach Devin Klieman.

One interesting nuggets from Polasek's interview on 3/21 was he mentioned wanting to see the guys show a little more fire when they're out there competing in practice - I thought that was an interesting comment. I'm thinking the intensity of practice is getting amped up a little from the Entz era (and I'm sure Entz-led practices weren't a church service by any means).

I’ll add a name Ive heard a lot of good things about. Hegerle. Heard from people I trust he should have been playing last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisonforever
03-29-2024, 05:32 AM
Hegerle is a name of note for this year for sure. As for he should have played last year, not true.

Professor Chaos
03-29-2024, 01:25 PM
Problem is how many balls are there to go around to all these pass catchers? This offense throws the ball 20-25 times per game tops. They've got Eli Green who's a bona fide stud. They've got Raja Nelson who is electric with the ball and needs to get his touches to keep the offense dynamic. Henderson is solid and they've got Stoffel as a very capable tight end. Zach Mathis' departure opens up a spot at the X so I'd assume one of the trio of young guys with bigger bodies (Lance/Collins/Hegerle) would take that spot but for the other two I'm thinking they're still going to be buried with only a few snaps per game (barring injuries to guys in front of them).

ndsubison1
03-29-2024, 02:38 PM

WR Mekhi Collins
WR Bryce Lance
LB Nathaniel Staehling
RB Marty Brown
CB Najee Nelson

I think the difference if we win it all this year will be if some of our depth guys like this develop and give solid contribution.

NI4NI
03-29-2024, 02:42 PM
I think the difference if we win it all this year will be if some of our depth guys like this develop and give solid contribution.

Just the sound of that is intoxicating!

THEsocalledfan
03-29-2024, 03:06 PM
I heard an interesting anecdote from Grant Olsen about the installation of the defense and how TP wants to install starting with the basics and work through those even if the offense can see what's coming because it's not about winning plays in spring ball, it's about the players truly understanding their alignments and fits. Made me wonder how different that style is from the Entz era and possibly why we saw the defense decline and heard comments about "getting back to basics" halfway through the year last year. Were they trying to do too much too fast instead of just teaching the guys how to line-up, find their responsibility and tackle.

One interesting nugget on the defense decline. I'd heard that after UND from a few sources that Entz had basically taken over DC coordinator duties with help form Grant Olson. McFeelly basically confirmed that on Izzo's show on Tuesday.

roadwarrior
03-29-2024, 04:34 PM
One interesting nugget on the defense decline. I'd heard that after UND from a few sources that Entz had basically taken over DC coordinator duties with help form Grant Olson. McFeelly basically confirmed that on Izzo's show on Tuesday.

I heard the same thing from some parents. And was no surprise Petrino is gone.

CAS4127
03-31-2024, 04:29 PM
Would someone please post details of Spring Showcase?

HerdBot
04-01-2024, 02:15 AM

Yep. If you're thinking and slow to react you are kind of fucked. Gotta play fast. It was quite apparent Entz was in control of the defense later in the year because we were flying to the ball and gang tackling. You can always add new wrinkles as the season progresses. You don't want to keep the uber talented young kids off the field because they have to learn too much

Bisman
04-01-2024, 02:24 AM
Yep. If you're thinking and slow to react you are kind of fucked. Gotta play fast. It was quite apparent Entz was in control of the defense later in the year because we were flying to the ball and gang tackling. You can always add new wrinkles as the season progresses. You don't want to keep the uber talented young kids off the field because they have to learn too much

Coach Hedberg recently said, "It's not what the coaches can draw up but what the players can execute."

CAS4127
04-01-2024, 02:26 AM

SDBison and I re-watched 1st half of Montana game last night. Tackling was horrible.

That said, had we stuck with run game, we win that game. We were the better team IMO.

HerdBot
04-01-2024, 10:46 AM
SDBison and I re-watched 1st half of Montana game last night. Tackling was horrible.

That said, had we stuck with run game, we win that game. We were the better team IMO.

I think they ran out of gas vs Montana. The defense played their ass off for 4 quarters but were gassed in OT. Of course when you shit the bed early in the year and don't earn a bye week and have to travel to a different time zone 2 weeks in a row, it's going to catch up

But I agree completely that we win the game if we stick to the run. 9 of 23 throwing the ball and stupid trick plays wont win many games

Kujava23
04-02-2024, 02:23 PM
I think they ran out of gas vs Montana. The defense played their ass off for 4 quarters but were gassed in OT. Of course when you shit the bed early in the year and don't earn a bye week and have to travel to a different time zone 2 weeks in a row, it's going to catch up

But I agree completely that we win the game if we stick to the run. 9 of 23 throwing the ball and stupid trick plays wont win many games

Or Cam Miller having to throw the ball to win games.....doesn't work

Bisman
04-02-2024, 03:56 PM
Grant Olson's priority with Bison football: tackle better

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/grant-olsons-priority-with-bison-football-tackle-better

“I know that was one of the things I asked the older linebackers about is what can we do better in practice and they said tackle every day,” Olson said. “So every

day, no matter what, we are either going to live tackle or do a tackling drill. So we’re going to get better at it by repetition and we worked hard already at it this

offseason in our winter runs when we had time. Instead of working on other techniques, we said we’re going to prioritize tackling.”

04 Badger
04-03-2024, 01:00 AM
Grant Olson's priority with Bison football: tackle better

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/grant-olsons-priority-with-bison-football-tackle-better

It's a great start! They finally figured it out.

CAS4127
04-03-2024, 01:41 AM
It's a great start! They finally figured it out.

Why is it that what is so obvious to us fans is so oblivious to coaches? Think about it. I’ve often said that just because they are coaches doesn’t mean the see or know anything.

The main tackling problems Are angles and failure to wrap up. And the angle issue is most prominent. We absolutely suck at taking correct angles when pursuing and, more importantly, when blitzing from outside. The way we do that actually creates lanes for RBs. Difficult to explain “on paper”, but I could show you with films. Out attack of bubble screens is also terrible. Just maintain LOS for eff sakes.

ByeSonBusiness
04-03-2024, 03:36 AM
Why is it that what is so obvious to us fans is so oblivious to coaches? Think about it. I’ve often said that just because they are coaches doesn’t mean the see or know anything.

The main tackling problems Are angles and failure to wrap up. And the angle issue is most prominent. We absolutely suck at taking correct angles when pursuing and, more importantly, when blitzing from outside. The way we do that actually creates lanes for RBs. Difficult to explain “on paper”, but I could show you with films. Out attack of bubble screens is also terrible. Just maintain LOS for eff sakes.

CAS needs to be brought in for fall camp.

td577
04-03-2024, 05:34 AM
CAS needs to be brought in for fall camp.As a tackling dummy?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

HerdBot
04-03-2024, 10:19 AM

Being out of position may be why angles appeared to be so bad. That goes back to playing slow which exposes bad tackling and lack of gang tackling

G_Funky
04-03-2024, 12:12 PM
Being out of position may be why angles appeared to be so bad. That goes back to playing slow which exposes bad tackling and lack of gang tackling

Exactly. It is much simpler to get to the ball carrier if you are in the correct position...but if you're trying to rally and/or recover than you just forget all your technique and lay out to try to make a play. Even a half step too slow and it goes from being able to wrap up the runner and form tackle to just diving at their legs to try to cut them down.

If we can simplify some things, and get our d-line to eat up blockers and keep the backers clean, we'll be in a much better spot at the second level.

scottietohottie
04-03-2024, 12:57 PM
As a tackling dummy?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

We don't want these boys getting hurt eh.

BISONBRI53
04-03-2024, 01:21 PM
Seems to be a lot of "BIG HIT" attempts out there that miss. Back to basics...

Bison Bridge Guy
04-03-2024, 01:34 PM

There were many instances where I saw linebackers running to a specific spot near the line of scrimmage at the snap and kind of waiting there, regardless of what was happening. I'm not particularly knowledgeable on defensive schemes but it felt like they were being coached to do that rather than reading and reacting. I don't know, but it looked really odd.

mtoutfitter
04-03-2024, 01:41 PM
Seems to be a lot of "BIG HIT" attempts out there that miss. Back to basics...

Yes, seemed to be a lot of attempts at a highlight play rather than just making the play. As said earlier a lot of it can be attributed to poor positioning.

Bisman
04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Coach Grant Olson:

“I know that was one of the things I asked the older linebackers about is what can we do better in practice and they said tackle every day,” Olson said. “So every

day, no matter what, we are either going to live tackle or do a tackling drill. So we’re going to get better at it by repetition and we worked hard already at it this

offseason in our winter runs when we had time. Instead of working on other techniques, we said we’re going to prioritize tackling.”

KSBisonFan
04-03-2024, 02:20 PM
There were many instances where I saw linebackers running to a specific spot near the line of scrimmage at the snap and kind of waiting there, regardless of what was happening. I'm not particularly knowledgeable on defensive schemes but it felt like they were being coached to do that rather than reading and reacting. I don't know, but it looked really odd.

I saw the same thing being done repeatedly, but I took it as our LBs being fooled by the offensive motion. It seemed like the LB, mostly the MLB, would take the wrong first step and be out of position reaching for a tackle, or completely swallowed up by an offensive lineman. Weerts was especially noticeable and really struggled to shed blocks. Part of the issues may have been our DL not doing their job, but the LBs need to be better with reads.

ndsubison1
04-03-2024, 04:33 PM

CAS for Defensive Analyst

Professor Chaos
04-09-2024, 07:22 PM
Dom dropped a few names in his article today about the start of week 4 of spring practices: https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/bison-spring-practice-update-the-home-stretch-and-some-young-players-to-watch?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

LBs Marcus Gulley, Enock Sibomana, Natheniel Staehling, and Austin Altepeter all have gotten good reviews from LB coach and DC Grant Olson. Also mentions young WR Mekhi Collins, RB Marty Brown, and the young secondary coaches as impressing him in spring so far.

Sam and Andy with their impressions from today's practice: https://www.facebook.com/bison1660/videos/456798150028053

Names of younger guys they mentioned on the defensive side were CBs Jaquise Alexander and Najee Nelson and DT Keenan Wilson. Not a younger guy but sounds like Hunter Zenzen is healthy and ready to pick up where Jake Kava left off at that DE position opposite of Dylan Hendricks. Dom wrote about Hunter as well yesterday: https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/delayed-by-a-year-hunter-zenzen-ready-to-make-his-bison-debut-this-fall

blackdiamond2
04-10-2024, 02:19 AM
I heard a bunch about DT Wilson last year and he did not even sniff the field....I am getting the feeling if we are naming all these guys - we really don't have the guy at some of these spots.

bisonforever
04-10-2024, 03:08 AM
I heard a bunch about DT Wilson last year and he did not even sniff the field....I am getting the feeling if we are naming all these guys - we really don't have the guy at some of these spots. you would be wrong!

Professor Chaos
04-10-2024, 11:16 AM
I heard a bunch about DT Wilson last year and he did not even sniff the field....I am getting the feeling if we are naming all these guys - we really don't have the guy at some of these spots.
The players I keep seeing mentioned are at positions that have openings: DT (Derrit is done), CB (Price), WR (Mathis), RB (Williams). LB is a spot that there's a lot returning but definitely needs improvement outside of Kopp. One group I haven't heard much about that's going to need to players to step up is OL - three starters from last year gone in Sundell, Westberg, and Kubas.

But anyone can throw out the names of young guys at those spots. We won't know anything until the meaningful game reps start in the fall.

EDIT: Also Wilson was a true freshman last season - pretty tough to get on the field at DT as a true freshman especially with the upper classmen already there.

bruinbison
04-11-2024, 11:03 AM
The players I keep seeing mentioned are at positions that have openings: DT (Derrit is done), CB (Price), WR (Mathis), RB (Williams). LB is a spot that there's a lot returning but definitely needs improvement outside of Kopp. One group I haven't heard much about that's going to need to players to step up is OL - three starters from last year gone in Sundell, Westberg, and Kubas.

But anyone can throw out the names of young guys at those spots. We won't know anything until the meaningful game reps start in the fall.

EDIT: Also Wilson was a true freshman last season - pretty tough to get on the field at DT as a true freshman especially with the upper classmen already there.

Here is Dom’s article/video with Dan Larson on the OL yesterday:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/bison-media-zone-on-wday-xtra-dan-larson-on-the-ndsu-offensive-line?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

mtoutfitter
04-11-2024, 02:17 PM
Here is Dom’s article/video with Dan Larson on the OL yesterday:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/bison-media-zone-on-wday-xtra-dan-larson-on-the-ndsu-offensive-line?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

Sure don't hear much about the Mizzou transfer Zatechka when they're talking O Line. Surprises me a bit.

tony
04-11-2024, 03:35 PM
Sure don't hear much about the Mizzou transfer Zatechka when they're talking O Line. Surprises me a bit.

Yeah, I remember a graduating OL saying good things about him. I guess we'll see when the depth chart comes out.

Jim Puetz
04-11-2024, 04:33 PM
I was also surprised to not see Lockerby's name. I thought he played really well last year when he got in the game.

mtoutfitter
04-11-2024, 07:18 PM
I was also surprised to not see Lockerby's name. I thought he played really well last year when he got in the game.

I have heard Dom and Kolpack mention coaches have been impressed with him.

mtoutfitter
04-11-2024, 10:22 PM
I have heard Dom and Kolpack mention coaches have been impressed with him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see either Lockerby or Empey starting at the other guard position opposite of Miller.

SlickVic
04-12-2024, 12:32 PM
i gotta say after catchin up on some of my pods polaseks got me pumped up now that hes out there talkin ball

SlickVic
04-12-2024, 12:46 PM
also is there any word on the young linebacker out of milwakee? also is there another transfer period if so when does that begin/end

tolnabison
04-12-2024, 02:04 PM
also is there any word on the young linebacker out of milwakee? also is there another transfer period if so when does that begin/end

April 15th through 30th

mtoutfitter
04-12-2024, 02:08 PM
April 15th through 30th

I'm wondering if they're gonna go after a RB after losing Hall?? to the Wabbits. Correction...lost Woods to the Wabbits.

Jim Puetz
04-14-2024, 01:49 AM
i think we have a great running back room, we just need to get them into a scheme and game flow that allows them to get chunks of yards and then a break a long one. We are going to hurt the Colorado Water Buffaloes. They weren't very tough last year, and I don't suspect they got any tougher over the Spring. They can be as fast as they want, but if they are on their backs gasping for air, they ain't very fast or effective.