PDA

View Full Version : Roehl leaves to Tennessee State as OC

Jay
01-24-2024, 02:53 PM
https://x.com/TSUTigersFB/status/1750184068052840625?s=20 (https://x.com/TSUTigersFB/status/1750184068052840625?s=20)

THEsocalledfan
01-24-2024, 03:01 PM
Well, this is very odd. That is a lateral move at best, and more likely a pay cut. I know he needs to move on to move up, but I was thinking FBS position coach I guess.

NDSU
01-24-2024, 03:01 PM
TSU press release: https://tsutigers.com/news/2024/1/24/football-names-tyler-roehl-associate-head-coach-and-offensive-coordinator.aspx

Jay
01-24-2024, 03:02 PM
Well, this is very odd. That is a lateral move at best, and more likely a pay cut. I know he needs to move on to move up, but I was thinking FBS position coach I guess.

The writing was on the wall. He needs outside experience - which was essentially told to him through the interview/hire process. Sometimes you move lateral to move up later on.

tony
01-24-2024, 03:03 PM
Well, poop.

Mr Meaty
01-24-2024, 03:07 PM
Head Coach is Eddie George so there is that.

bstark28
01-24-2024, 03:07 PM
Interesting, to say the least...but, as has already been said, the experience outside of NDSU was warranted, if he wanted to move up to a HC position. Makes the home game against them this Fall a bit more interesting, that's for sure.

Question now is who will be targeted to replace him? Would they consider bringing Messingham back?? Or, do they give Beschorner a shot, being as he was very successful in that role at Mankato?

GreenfieldBison
01-24-2024, 03:15 PM
I don't know. From where I sit Fargo to Nashville seems like a pretty darn spiffy trade.

Best of luck Tyler. Show em how it's done.

garbageman
01-24-2024, 03:17 PM
I don't know. From where I sit Fargo to Nashville seems like a pretty darn spiffy trade.

Well this should make all the bisonville coaches happy

ndsubison1
01-24-2024, 03:18 PM

Probably using it as a move to another position after 1-2 years.

mtoutfitter
01-24-2024, 03:26 PM
Thinking out loud....With all the players who showed support for TR to be head coach, will there be any new portal entrants?

Bison03
01-24-2024, 03:29 PM
Thinking out loud....With all the players who showed support for TR to be head coach, will there be any new portal entrants?
I would be a little more concerned had he been going to an FBS school. There might be a couple guys to follow him there but who knows.

bisonfan08
01-24-2024, 03:33 PM
I would be a little more concerned had he been going to an FBS school. There might be a couple guys to follow him there but who knows.

Follow him to a school where you have to come back to NDSU and get your teeth kicked in...I doubt we'll see much of that. Could always happen, especially for some depth guys that might move up the chart at TSU but I don't think it would make sense for most.

steelbison
01-24-2024, 03:40 PM
wow...so the best Tyler could do was this? Shocked. He would have been in Northwestern if he was highly regarded. Can't wait to see how he does when he doesn't have superior talent in most match ups.

Bisonator98
01-24-2024, 03:44 PM
Kind of surprised by this move, definitely a step down. Thought for sure he'd stick it out this year and try to land a HC or FBS OC gig somewhere. Best of luck to him!

THEsocalledfan
01-24-2024, 03:47 PM

I dunno.....Nashville would be a pretty good spot to go, but guessing he took a pay cut?

Professor Chaos
01-24-2024, 03:48 PM
Yeah, this is a step down, pedigree wise, no matter how you spin it. He had the exact same title (OC/Assoc Head Coach) at NDSU. Seems like kind of a desperation move to be honest... hopefully he's successful there (outside of the games they play against NDSU in 2024 and 2025) along with wherever else he goes and proves his chops for the HC position the next time it opens up at NDSU.

phxbison
01-24-2024, 03:52 PM
Wow, I'm shocked ! This is not even a lateral move, it's a downward move. I don't understand how he thinks this will benefit him. Oh well, people going to do what people going to do ! I'm starting to question his mental state. He must be going for the scenery, the climate and the music. I certainly can't see any other benefit. "Suprised Eddy, I couldn't be anymore surprised if I wokeup with my head sewn to the carpet ".

bisonfanette
01-24-2024, 03:52 PM

I would guess not…

Bisman
01-24-2024, 03:58 PM
"Outside experience" is often used as a rationale but how important is it really?

The only "outside experience" SDSU coach Jimmy Rogers had was as a graduate assistant at Florida Atlantic

in 2012 and early 2013. He returned to South Dakota State for the 2013 season and served as linebackers coach.

phxbison
01-24-2024, 03:59 PM
I would guess not…
I don't think they can transfer at this point until April, but I could be wrong on that.

99Bison
01-24-2024, 04:01 PM
Portal closed unless HC I believe.

Bison03
01-24-2024, 04:07 PM
The rationale for leaving is still there. He didn’t get the head coaching job mainly because he needed outside experience.Coach P even said that his time away from NDSU made him a better coach.The location in Nashville is better for moves up as well. As good as NDSU is, FBS teams notice teams and coaches closer to them. And who knows, maybe Eddie George wont be there long and Tyler will be head coach sooner or later.

Son of a Bison
01-24-2024, 04:08 PM
Not getting the HC job probably hurt TR to the core emotionally. Sometimes is nice to go where you are “wanted” if that is how to look at it. I wish him well. He gave his all here as coach and player.

phxbison
01-24-2024, 04:13 PM
Congratulations coach Roehl ! I wish you the very best going forward. I should have said this in my original post.

aces1180
01-24-2024, 04:15 PM
Tennessee State for the same position he had at NDSU?

I’d understand if it were a move to a position coach at an FBS school, but Tennessee State?

There is obvious butt hurt in play here after his old boss became his new boss again. Have some pride, man!

But, once a Bison, always a Bison. I hope he somehow finds success.

NI4NI
01-24-2024, 04:20 PM
I wonder if after spend some time with Tim that they were not a good fit? Whether it be different methodology or simply personalities?
Hard to be someone's #2 when you wanted that position. Compound that with different mindsets...this may be best for all parties.

Professor Chaos
01-24-2024, 04:22 PM
I wonder if after spend some time with Tim that they were not a good fit? Whether it be different methodology or simply personalities?
Hard to be someone's #2 when you wanted that position. Compound that with different mindsets...this may be best for all parties.
Also possible that Polasek and Roehl knew this was coming all along but wanted to wait until the portal closed to announce it.

NI4NI
01-24-2024, 04:23 PM
Also possible they knew this was coming all along but wanted to wait until the portal closed to announce it.

Perhaps, but then why the promotion?

G_Funky
01-24-2024, 04:26 PM
Perhaps, but then why the promotion?

Up the ante so that Tennessee St would need to do the same.

td577
01-24-2024, 04:27 PM
He needs to move out to move up. This will be good for Roehl to show he can have success somewhere else and reset his power base when the time is right to come back.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

NI4NI
01-24-2024, 04:29 PM
Up the ante so that Tennessee St would need to do the same.

Ahhh, your thinking chess and I was thinking checkers! I like it!

Kevin
01-24-2024, 05:00 PM
Not a goodbye just a see you later. Good luck TR.

ByeSonBusiness
01-24-2024, 05:15 PM
Best of luck to him. Probably needs to get some experience elsewhere. Will be good to have to play more games where his team isn't head and shoulders better than the other team.

Herd Mentality
01-24-2024, 05:19 PM
Tennessee State Graduation Rate - 34% Yikes.

KC_Hats
01-24-2024, 05:20 PM
Has Cam Miller graduated? Graduates can enter the portal at any time.

totoinfl
01-24-2024, 05:31 PM
I think this is probably good for both sides. Tyler needs to see football outside of NDSU and if you are restructuring the coaching staff might as well not stop at half measures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottietohottie
01-24-2024, 05:31 PM
West Fargo kid goes to Tennessee eh.

Bisonfanatical
01-24-2024, 05:32 PM

I agree

All the arm chair coaches [emoji6]

They should promote from within bisonville, plenty of talented posters in the past [emoji849]

HerdBot
01-24-2024, 05:36 PM
Tyler has done all he can as OC. If his goal is to be a head coach, he needs to get outside the area to learn how other teams operate and network. I think the odds of Eddie George staying long term is slim so he could maybe be a head coaching candidate.

No disrespect but I think some fresh blood could actually be good. Some new perspective can help with tendencies

ndsubison1
01-24-2024, 05:41 PM
West Fargo kid goes to Tennessee eh.

An HBCU. Reading their message board they are excited. Good for them and good luck Roehl.

taper
01-24-2024, 05:42 PM
Tenn St's HC has 2 years left on his contract. Looking just at W/L he's in the middle area where he's probably not at risk of being fired but also not an FBS candidate. No idea if he'll be renewed. As an eternal optimist, here's hoping TR was hired with the intent to groom him for HC when the time comes, then he comes back to NDSU in 5-10 years.

Smokeyburnout
01-24-2024, 05:49 PM
Best of luck to TR. But I'm excited for a change. I just don't think he was a very good OC. Way too predictable in almost every situation and especially when the games became challenging - he didn't know what to do so always goes back the same well of QB run.

The_Sicatoka
01-24-2024, 05:56 PM
He wanted to be at a hockey school (and UND already hired Landry).

https://tsutigers.com/news/2023/6/28/mens-club-hockey-tsu-achieves-historic-milestone-as-first-hbcu-to-introduce-collegiate-ice-hockey.aspx

Kujava23
01-24-2024, 06:45 PM

Great question----maybe he will take a QB now?

blackdiamond2
01-24-2024, 07:08 PM
Roehl must have some type of liking to the Tennessee area. Tennessee State OC / wasn't he a candidate for East Tennessee State HC job a few years back?

There are a lot teams in that area - he will more than likely get hired at one of them in the future.

56BISON73
01-24-2024, 07:22 PM

He needs this on his resume if he wants to be a head coach. May be one more stop after this at his choosing would be better.

Bisonwinagn
01-24-2024, 07:49 PM
This was a terrible move career wise. Apparently he wanted out and took the first job offer. He could have waited for a head coach job or FBS coordinator. Feel bad for him

NDSUstudent
01-24-2024, 08:00 PM
Excited for some new blood, I wish Roehl all the best but I do get that he needs to leave to grow his career.

NDSUstudent
01-24-2024, 08:01 PM
This was a terrible move career wise. Apparently he wanted out and took the first job offer. He could have waited for a head coach job or FBS coordinator. Feel bad for him

I really thought he would go the Polasek route and find a position coach job in the FBS somewhere.

Wolfie
01-24-2024, 08:03 PM
Maybe Tim told him that they would not be doing 14 QB runs every game from the shotgun, and TR's head exploded

unbison
01-24-2024, 08:03 PM
I really thought he would go the Polasek route and find a position coach job in the FBS somewhere.

Think he interviewed at Wisconsin for a position coach tight ends maybe

reformedUNDfan
01-24-2024, 08:05 PM
Must not have landed the Iowa OC gig

MyOhMy
01-24-2024, 08:32 PM
I went through all 6 pages and didn't see anyone apologizing for not believing Lakes about Roehl leaving last week. Sure he was a couple of days off but he was right, maybe he shouldn't be dismissed so lightly next time.

G_Funky
01-24-2024, 08:50 PM
I went through all 6 pages and didn't see anyone apologizing for not believing Lakes about Roehl leaving last week. Sure he was a couple of days off but he was right, maybe he shouldn't be dismissed so lightly next time.

Lakes was saying that Ty was going to Wisco as the OC and linked an article from 2022 about the Badgers looking for a new OC.

So, yeah, he left...but thats all that was correct about his blabbering.

PlrbrBison
01-24-2024, 09:12 PM
Roehl must have some type of liking to the Tennessee area. Tennessee State OC / wasn't he a candidate for East Tennessee State HC job a few years back?

There are a lot teams in that area - he will more than likely get hired at one of them in the future.

On the plus side he should build some new recruiting relationships from a football heavy part of the country. Could be useful if he comes back to head coach NDSU some day.

BisonDude
01-24-2024, 09:57 PM

You could go through thousands of pages here (not to mention other teams boards) where he’s never apologized or admitted he’s been wrong.

mtoutfitter
01-24-2024, 09:59 PM

Now do the part showing all the times he was wrong. :facepalm:

cbline
01-24-2024, 10:10 PM

I hear that Steven Threet just entered the portal.

td577
01-24-2024, 10:54 PM
This was a terrible move career wise. Apparently he wanted out and took the first job offer. He could have waited for a head coach job or FBS coordinator. Feel bad for himThis was carefully planned out. Everything about this move has Polasek being part of the decision. Promote to raise the salary bar. Wait until after the transfer portal closed. Go to a program that has nowhere to go but up. This will look good for Roehl.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

1998braves64
01-24-2024, 10:55 PM
I think this is a smart move (probably somewhat sucks emotionally and $wise but that is probably a show of good character that he manned up and now sort of putting NDSU on notice that if he does well there that IF he wants HC position they'll be hard pressed not to give him the opportunity) by Roehl if he feels polasek sticks around for 4-5 years before moving FBS because we know he's not going to be content to stick around here. Roehl uses those years to get the outside experience that was probably the only knock against him becoming a head coach? Many here said he's more HC material than OC. Obviously a dice roll because 4-5 years could change a lot here too and have other people making a case to be HC and maybe he only has small mediocre success there.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

MAKBison
01-24-2024, 11:48 PM

They were in each other's weddings for peaks sake.....they know each other just fine. This seems planned out to perfection. TR gets a pay bump which sets his new value level. Waits untill portal closes then gets a new job which the current man hirring says he needs if he wants to be HC at NDSU. I would say TR made out just fine as did TP.

Again this seems like the Kinda shit 2 guys who are close enough to be in each other's wedding parties might do.

And good for them

NI4NI
01-25-2024, 12:04 AM
They were in each other's weddings for peaks sake.....

I did not know this, and just who is this Peak fellow you speak of?

bisonbuddy
01-25-2024, 12:12 AM
He wanted to be at a hockey school (and UND already hired Landry).

https://tsutigers.com/news/2023/6/28/mens-club-hockey-tsu-achieves-historic-milestone-as-first-hbcu-to-introduce-collegiate-ice-hockey.aspx
Still not funny.

SlickVic
01-25-2024, 12:55 AM
sounded like eddies had his eye on him ever since becoming the head ball coach at TENN ST https://tsutigers.com/news/2024/1/24/football-names-tyler-roehl-associate-head-coach-and-offensive-coordinator.aspx if you go to the bottom of that you can hear his comments kind of speaks for itself a hiesman trophy winning pro football hall of famer being impressed by a freakin FCS offense dont it?

HerdBot
01-25-2024, 01:26 AM
I think this is a smart move (probably somewhat sucks emotionally and $wise but that is probably a show of good character that he manned up and now sort of putting NDSU on notice that if he does well there that IF he wants HC position they'll be hard pressed not to give him the opportunity) by Roehl if he feels polasek sticks around for 4-5 years before moving FBS because we know he's not going to be content to stick around here. Roehl uses those years to get the outside experience that was probably the only knock against him becoming a head coach? Many here said he's more HC material than OC. Obviously a dice roll because 4-5 years could change a lot here too and have other people making a case to be HC and maybe he only has small mediocre success there.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

I dont see how being a successful OC at a mediocre FCS program in a 1 bid league makes him more polished.

Now if he goes to a Power 5 team he would

TAILG8R
01-25-2024, 01:30 AM
I dont see how being a successful OC at a mediocre FCS program in a 1 bid league makes him more polished.

I agree that this one stop doesn't make him anymore a candidate for HC then he is now but I have to believe if he can build some success offensively down there and in a few years jump to either a HC position at a smaller FCS or a position coach at an FBS he will then be considered ready to come back and be HC for the Bison.

I would have to assume he is doing this because he believes it is best for his career long term and not simply because it could make him a better suited candidate to be HC at NDSU someday.

123Gobison
01-25-2024, 03:34 AM

Proof is in the pudding, after Messingham we never had a good OC

NDSU_grad
01-25-2024, 03:51 AM
Good luck to Tyler. He set a very high bar for the OC position at NDSU. I hope Tim vets this position very carefully.

CaBisonFan
01-25-2024, 04:14 AM
Congratulations to Tyler. Took a lot of heat... some deserved... some not. His use of different personnel packages that made it easy to predict what was coming is his biggest coaching fault. If I could predict the play... just think what the defenses could do. But he's a Bison through and through. One of the best. Phenomenal player.

56BISON73
01-25-2024, 04:53 AM
I agree that this one stop doesn't make him anymore a candidate for HC then he is now but I have to believe if he can build some success offensively down there and in a few years jump to either a HC position at a smaller FCS or a position coach at an FBS he will then be considered ready to come back and be HC for the Bison.

I would have to assume he is doing this because he believes it is best for his career long term and not simply because it could make him a better suited candidate to be HC at NDSU someday.

Bingo. Its both.

MyOhMy
01-25-2024, 04:56 AM
Go to a program that has nowhere to go but up. This will look good for Roehl.

He's working under Eddie George?? FFS WTH has he ever coached? IMO there's nowhere to go but down with the ship as he burns the Tennessee St program to the ground. Even the TN St fans don't know what he's doing there.

scottietohottie
01-25-2024, 10:00 AM
Oh Tennessee state. Not teh titans then eh.

LefseBison
01-25-2024, 10:30 AM
Not Vols. :hungry:

Bisonator98
01-25-2024, 11:39 AM

Hey when you're getting your info from grandma's some of it is going to be wrong. :rofl:

Wolfie
01-25-2024, 11:40 AM
So be on the lookout next year for Tennessee St......running their QB from shotgun about 15 times per game.

LefseBison
01-25-2024, 12:29 PM
I read the Tennessee State fan board. For the most part, many enthused about Tyler but some other "interesting" nuggets there. Well worth the read.

LefseBison
01-25-2024, 12:32 PM
Some of you make fun of Lakes but, on the other hand, some of you can't let go of the guy. I am not a Lakes apologist but I am also not threatened by him.

LefseBison
01-25-2024, 12:36 PM
I get a kick out of some of you guys soiling yourself over Tyler and how the OC bar was raised under him. But what about that "Fire Roehl, Save the Season" thread which reached - I don't know - how many pages. Which one is it?

LefseBison
01-25-2024, 12:38 PM
And that Tennessee State Fan Board. They apparently have a very strict policy against nasty posting. Quite a strongly worded bolded warning and some comments thereof.

LefseBison
01-25-2024, 12:49 PM
I see Oprah Winfrey is an alumna of Tennessee State.

GreenfieldBison
01-25-2024, 12:51 PM
I get a kick out of some of you guys soiling yourself over Tyler and how the OC bar was raised under him. But what about that "Fire Roehl, Save the Season" thread which reached - I don't know - how many pages. Which one is it?
What I get a kick out of is all the people who cling to opinions that are demonstrably wrong based on a plethora of objective data. It's no longer surprising but I don't understand it.

The_Sicatoka
01-25-2024, 12:56 PM
Does this move "de-pud" Tenn State?

semobison
01-25-2024, 01:09 PM
I see Oprah Winfrey is an alumna of Tennessee State.

Tennessee State was a woman’s Track & Field powerhouse back in the day. The great Wilma Rudolph was an alumni!

IndyBison
01-25-2024, 01:25 PM
He's working under Eddie George?? FFS WTH has he ever coached? IMO there's nowhere to go but down with the ship as he burns the Tennessee St program to the ground. Even the TN St fans don't know what he's doing there.He's been the head coach there for 3 seasons. Around .500 each season in the OVC. They are an HBCU in a non HBCU conference. He may not be an elite coach, but he's learning and not playing the "look at me" game that Prime does.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

heckler
01-25-2024, 01:26 PM

I am not understanding this either but good for him?

Professor Chaos
01-25-2024, 01:44 PM
Just spit balling here but we know that Roehl has interviewed for at least 3 jobs in the past 2+ years that he didn't get:
1) ETSU head coach after the 2021 season (who knows why he was turned down for that one but probably lack of experience would be the most plausible reason)
2) NDSU head coach after the 2023 season (presumably turned down because of lack of experience and network outside of NDSU)
3) Wisconsin TE coach after the 2023 season (presumably turned down because of lack of recruiting experience/ties outside of the Dakotas)

Maybe Tennessee St and Coach George are providing him with some needed expansion of his recruiting ties as he tries to remove the strikes made against him in past??? I would anticipate his stay at TSU will be short-lived and I still wonder whether he would've had better opportunities by sticking around at NDSU for another year but who knows how long he's been shopping himself and how many other jobs he's interviewed and been turned down for so maybe he just felt he needed to bite the bullet and take the step down/pay cut so he can raise his coaching ceiling in the future???

THEsocalledfan
01-25-2024, 02:08 PM
Just spit balling here but we know that Roehl has interviewed for at least 3 jobs in the past 2+ years that he didn't get:
1) ETSU head coach after the 2021 season (who knows why he was turned down for that one but probably lack of experience would be the most plausible reason)
2) NDSU head coach after the 2023 season (presumably turned down because of lack of experience and network outside of NDSU)
3) Wisconsin TE coach after the 2023 season (presumably turned down because of lack of recruiting experience/ties outside of the Dakotas)

Maybe Tennessee St and Coach George are providing him with some needed expansion of his recruiting ties as he tries to remove the strikes made against him in past??? I would anticipate his stay at TSU will be short-lived and I still wonder whether he would've had better opportunities by sticking around at NDSU for another year but who knows how long he's been shopping himself and how many other jobs he's interviewed and been turned down for so maybe he just felt he needed to bite the bullet and take the step down/pay cut so he can raise his coaching ceiling in the future???

Chaos, all the same questions I have. My gut says he should have stuck around waiting for a P4 position coach offer. Now, and yes he stirs the pot, but McFeely seems to think that "not all is fine in Graceland." To me, up to this point, it had seemed almost a seamless transition, but I think there must be a little truth that something is off. (My speculation is ML dropped the ball somehow and McFeely alluded to this.) That could easily be the right kind of "push" he needed to take this partial step down figuring it is still outside experience.

Bisonator98
01-25-2024, 03:03 PM
I do think Tim P and TR probably coordinated the timing of all of this to minimize impacts on the program and for that I am grateful.

LefseBison
01-25-2024, 03:15 PM
Chaos, all the same questions I have. My gut says he should have stuck around waiting for a P4 position coach offer. Now, and yes he stirs the pot, but McFeely seems to think that "not all is fine in Graceland." To me, up to this point, it had seemed almost a seamless transition, but I think there must be a little truth that something is off. (My speculation is ML dropped the ball somehow and McFeely alluded to this.) That could easily be the right kind of "push" he needed to take this partial step down figuring it is still outside experience.

I sometimes think that us women are the drama queens but now I see you menfolk have plenty of it, too. There did not have to be an ulterior motive to all of this. There did not have to be any in-fighting or backstabbing going on in the football offices at the DOME. Maybe a spur of the moment decision on Tyler's part or maybe he just wanted to live in a warmer clime for a while, too. Sometimes people do things because....... I am guessing McFeely gets kind of excited in his "extremities" when he can find a reason to find a crack in the Bison veneer and get some clickbait while he is at it. (How many Dragon coaches when they leave MSUM get breaking news in the Forum???) :ranting:

tolnabison
01-25-2024, 03:18 PM
I know Polasek and Roehl are close. But I have always questioned TP bringing Roehl back. This aint the early 1800s, where the runner-up in the president election got to be the Vice President.

Bisonator98
01-25-2024, 03:45 PM
I sometimes think that us women are the drama queens but now I see you menfolk have plenty of it, too. There did not have to be an ulterior motive to all of this. There did not have to be any in-fighting or backstabbing going on in the football offices at the DOME. Maybe a spur of the moment decision on Tyler's part or maybe he just wanted to live in a warmer clime for a while, too. Sometimes people do things because....... I am guessing McFeely gets kind of excited in his "extremities" when he can find a reason to find a crack in the Bison veneer and get some clickbait while he is at it. (How many Dragon coaches when they leave MSUM get breaking news in the Forum???) :ranting:

Oh Larson definitely messed this up but I don't think there was any fighting within the FB offices. Tim and Tyler have a lot of respect for each other. Now Larson? Not so much!

LefseBison
01-25-2024, 04:34 PM
Tennessee State was a woman’s Track & Field powerhouse back in the day. The great Wilma Rudolph was an alumni!

I think coaching at Tennessee State will be a cool experience for Tyler and his family as well. A different cultural experience which I think will help him grow (and I am not talking only about coaching experience) in many ways.

StL Bison Fan
01-25-2024, 04:54 PM
I think coaching at Tennessee State will be a cool experience for Tyler and his family as well. A different cultural experience which I think will help him grow (and I am not talking only about coaching experience) in many ways.

The real test will be how he adapts to southern speed.

CAS4127
01-25-2024, 04:55 PM
Kliemen is coming back!!

TNbison
01-25-2024, 05:35 PM
Kliemen is coming back!!

Well I guess you weren't lying

mtoutfitter
01-25-2024, 05:51 PM
Enjoyed watching TRs segment on Hot Mic today.

THEsocalledfan
01-25-2024, 07:56 PM
Lots of scuttle butt out there that ML is not well liked in the football offices.....

Hammerhead
01-25-2024, 08:02 PM
The Bison have a much bigger following than MSUM so it's only natural that they get more attention from sports writers.

Professor Chaos
01-25-2024, 08:05 PM
Lots of scuttle butt out there that ML is not well liked in the football offices.....
Any job can be a crappy job if you have a crappy boss... it is strange that this is the 2nd prominent NDSU football coach to make a head scratching career move in the last month and a half.

southcliffbison
01-25-2024, 11:15 PM

It's plausible that Stony Brook football coaches didn't like ML either and weren't unhappy to see him pack his pencil sharpener and leave........purely conjecture.

CAS4127
01-25-2024, 11:48 PM
Any job can be a crappy job if you have a crappy boss... it is strange that this is the 2nd prominent NDSU football coach to make a head scratching career move in the last month and a half.

So, either should have waited things out … or they saw the writing on the wall. I believe change is coming.

56BISON73
01-26-2024, 01:39 AM

Head scratching??? Not at all.

scottietohottie
01-26-2024, 01:53 AM

Use head and shoulders every time eh?

totoinfl
01-26-2024, 02:36 PM
So, either should have waited things out … or they saw the writing on the wall. I believe change is coming.

CAS I can't decide if this comment is foreboding or a bright light at the end of a tunnel.

mtoutfitter
01-26-2024, 02:57 PM
CAS I can't decide if this comment is foreboding or a bright light at the end of a tunnel.

I'm gonna hope lights and tunnels.

totoinfl
01-26-2024, 03:22 PM
I'm gonna hope lights and tunnels.

Hopefully not an oncoming train.

mtoutfitter
01-26-2024, 03:27 PM
Hopefully not an oncoming train.

Good point. :rofl:

ZHerd
01-26-2024, 10:05 PM
Best wishes to coach Roehl. I hope it’s a great experience/time for him

BisonCardinal
01-27-2024, 01:00 AM
Maybe Roehl thinks that Eddie George, after a good year or two at Tennessee State, is on a faster track to FBS than Polasek and can ride on his coattails, considering name recognition and all.

Bisonwinagn
01-27-2024, 01:14 AM
Maybe Roehl thinks that Eddie George, after a good year or two at Tennessee State, is on a faster track to FBS than Polasek and can ride on his coattails, considering name recognition and all.

How will he get hired from a no name school? He will have to put up 50 points a game to even get noticed!!

BisonCardinal
01-27-2024, 01:23 AM
Ever heard of Deion Sanders? Jackson State

StL Bison Fan
01-27-2024, 01:25 AM

He gets noticed cause he has those really cool commercials

Kevin
01-28-2024, 08:23 PM

Never heard of him bro.

56BISON73
01-28-2024, 08:57 PM
How will he get hired from a no name school? He will have to put up 50 points a game to even get noticed!!

Even though there are a lot of schools the coaching fraternity is small. Everyone knows everybody and what they are doing. Getting noticed isnt a problem if youre doing a good job as a coach.

IndyBison
01-29-2024, 01:38 AM
Even though there are a lot of schools the coaching fraternity is small. Everyone knows everybody and what they are doing. Getting noticed isnt a problem if youre doing a good job as a coach.Bingo! He has reasons for why this move is beneficial to him and his career goals, and that's all that matters.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

bisonfanette
01-29-2024, 03:25 AM

I think the head scratching part is …Tennessee. And Tennessee only.
Even athletes who supported him… are using the same verbiage… head scratching. But the fact that he’s leaving isn’t surprising.

KC_Hats
01-29-2024, 03:34 AM
Tennessee State has had quite a few commits since Roehl was hired. I have seen a couple of tightend type recruits as well. He is hitting the ground running.

56BISON73
01-29-2024, 04:28 AM
Even athletes who supported him… are using the same verbiage… head scratching. But the fact that he’s leaving isn’t surprising.

I dont expect the recruits and players to know the Intricacies of building a coaching resume--career path.

MyOhMy
01-29-2024, 04:30 AM

Bingo, good luck to him, I hope it works out but there's no arguing that it's a major step down. Now if he would have gone to St Thomas... :innocent:

ndsubison1
01-29-2024, 01:06 PM
He needs outside experience but looks like he took the first offer he got out of here. It's a big risk, but maybe it leads to another position in the next year or two.

scottietohottie
01-29-2024, 01:07 PM
Und has an opening eh.

The_Sicatoka
01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Und has an opening eh.

Not anymore. We hired the OC from ... < checks notes > ... Winona State. :sigpalm:

GreenfieldBison
01-29-2024, 09:13 PM
Not anymore. We hired the OC from ... < checks notes > ... Winona State. :sigpalm:
Hey, we feel ya bro. We hired the one from UND.

Jay
01-29-2024, 09:50 PM
Football Scoop exclusive... How Eddie George lured star North Dakota State OC Tyler Roehl to run Tennessee State's offense

https://footballscoop.com/news/how-eddie-george-lured-star-north-dakota-state-oc-tyler-roehl-to-run-tennessee-states-offense

Tony Almeida
01-30-2024, 01:54 AM
Hey, we feel ya bro. We hired the one from UND.

Now this is witty.