PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 QB's in NDSU history

JohnnyExtacy
12-29-2023, 08:27 PM
Who are they? I wish I could do a poll. I aw some work buddies doing this and they are Iowa alumni, and I swear I only recognized like 1 or 2 names on their list. I can't imagne NDSU having a worse list than Iowa.

Easton Stick
Brock Jenson
Jeff Bentrim
Chris Simdorn
Steve Walker
Carson Wentz

Trey Lance(?)
Kevin Feeney(?)
Arden Beachy(?)

I wouldn't even know how to rank. So easy to look at the stats and completely miss on the dudes that ran the option back in the day. Bentrim and Simdorn were unbelievable. Arden Beachy was good if I remember but he had a shortened career.

Hammerhead
12-29-2023, 09:21 PM
I would consider putting Mark Speral in that list. https://gobison.com/honors/bison-athletic-hall-of-fame/mark-speral/116

heffray
12-29-2023, 10:09 PM
I don’t think I can rank the top 10 but I can do the top 5 for sure:

1. Stick
2. Lance
3. Jensen
4. Bentrim
5. Wentz

Kevin
12-29-2023, 11:10 PM
Greatest for what? Talent? Career? Stats? Bison “it” factor?

Lists change wildly with proper context.

scottietohottie
12-29-2023, 11:12 PM

Jock strap size?

Kevin
12-29-2023, 11:50 PM
Jock strap size?

We’d have to unban lakes for that insight.

heffray
12-30-2023, 12:51 AM

The list above are my personal faves

56BISON73
12-30-2023, 01:08 AM

Who was the best QB to play the game. Leadership, career, Bison IT factor. Stick, Jensen. Bentrim, Walker, Simdorm, Wentz.

bisoningrandforks
12-30-2023, 04:56 PM
Who was the best QB to play the game. Leadership, career, Bison IT factor. Stick, Jensen. Bentrim, Walker, Simdorm, Wentz.

spot on!.........

Strategery
12-30-2023, 05:17 PM
Best at Hail Marys? Zeb is the top of that list obvs

NI4NI
12-30-2023, 05:37 PM
Best at Hail Marys? Zeb is the top of that list obvs

I don't like being a 'Negative Nancy', but Zeb never lived up to expectations. Probably unfair expectations given our QB history.

CalBison97
12-30-2023, 05:40 PM
I don't like being a 'Negative Nancy', but Zeb never lived up to expectations. Probably unfair expectations given our QB history.

Proof that NI isn’t one of Lakes’ aliases.

Kevin
12-30-2023, 06:06 PM

He was no mertens or mohler that’s for sure.

NI4NI
12-30-2023, 06:15 PM
Proof that NI isn’t one of Lakes’ aliases.

Or did I only say that to make you think that?

Hmmmmm

99Bison
12-30-2023, 06:16 PM

++++++++++++

NI4NI
12-30-2023, 06:18 PM
He was no mertens or mohler that’s for sure.

I have a friend that's an avid Cyclone fan, and he thought we were in High Cotton after getting Zeb. I certainly reminded him on multiple occasions how incorrect he was!

scottietohottie
12-30-2023, 07:08 PM
I have a friend!

I guess it's not lakes eh!

reformedUNDfan
12-30-2023, 07:16 PM
I have a friend that's an avid Cyclone fan, and he thought we were in High Cotton after getting Zeb. I certainly reminded him on multiple occasions how incorrect he was!

Well that's a new one

Sonny Crockett
12-30-2023, 07:36 PM
Arden Beachy blowing out his knee in the first ever game at the Fargodome is one of the greatest travesties in Bison football history.

heffray
12-30-2023, 08:14 PM
Arden Beachy blowing out his knee in the first ever game at the Fargodome is one of the greatest travesties in Bison football history.

I remember that day. I also remember thinking the hit was kinda dirty, but I could be misremembering that part…

NI4NI
12-30-2023, 08:21 PM
Well that's a new one

Oh man, am I dating myself again! LOL

The term "high cotton" or "tall cotton" originates from the rural farming community in the antebellum (pre-Civil War) when "high cotton" meant that the crops were good and the prices, were, too. The term has generalized to mean one is doing well or is successful. From Wiktionary.

scottietohottie
12-30-2023, 08:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhsbhbnKoR0?si=l3d10GDXTaVIzhfM

southcliffbison
12-31-2023, 06:10 PM
I remember that day. I also remember thinking the hit was kinda dirty, but I could be misremembering that part…

I remember it........It was a cheapie; the contact was at the knee; in today's game, the hit would be flagged.

george99
01-01-2024, 04:05 AM
too new as a fan to give top 10 but in my 15 years I have to put:

Easton Stick -- come on the guy was lights out whenever you needed it
Brock Jenson -- So close between Easton and Brock, this is 1b by a hair
Carson Wentz -- better NFL QB than the rest but as a bison QB didn't have enough film to show he was a better college QB
Steve Walker

Sonny Crockett
01-01-2024, 09:49 PM
Chronologically...

Speral
Bentrim
Simdorn
Beachy
Feeney
Walker
Jensen
Wentz
Stick
Lance

2011BisonAlumni
01-02-2024, 02:56 AM
Quite frankly I’m a little surprised nobody has said Cam Miller. I’d put him on the list before Feeney. Top 4 in completions, yards and passing TD’s. He has the highest career completion percentage in NDSU history and is 5th all time in passing efficiency. He’s also 9th all time in rushing TD’s. Assuming he stays healthy, he should end up #4 in that category surpassing Feeney next year. He has played in two national championship games, winning one.

People complain about him, but he just has a tough distinction of following a lot of great QB’s over the last 15 years. With that being said, he is one of the best to do it at NDSU.

JohnnyExtacy
01-02-2024, 05:12 AM
I like Cam Miller and would definitely consider him even with another year. I was never a huge Feeney fan but he played on what felt like some of the absolute worst NDSU defensive teams I can ever remember.

Really hard to compare stats between the 2. Feebey played at a time they were rolling out of an option based program to a more spread based. But yea I would maybe consider Cam or Feeney.

Bisonator98
01-02-2024, 01:16 PM
Quite frankly I’m a little surprised nobody has said Cam Miller. I’d put him on the list before Feeney. Top 4 in completions, yards and passing TD’s. He has the highest career completion percentage in NDSU history and is 5th all time in passing efficiency. He’s also 9th all time in rushing TD’s. Assuming he stays healthy, he should end up #4 in that category surpassing Feeney next year. He has played in two national championship games, winning one.

People complain about him, but he just has a tough distinction of following a lot of great QB’s over the last 15 years. With that being said, he is one of the best to do it at NDSU.

His performance in the biggest games is his detriment IMO. He's a solid QB but comes up small when it matters most which will keep him off my list for now. If he goes out with another ring next season he might get there.

Kujava23
01-04-2024, 08:09 PM
His performance in the biggest games is his detriment IMO. He's a solid QB but comes up small when it matters most which will keep him off my list for now. If he goes out with another ring next season he might get there.

EXACTLY----- WIN in games you aren't suppose to----whats his record vs. SDSU record vs. FBS

Zone read rushing TD's where he keeps 99% of time ----inflated

Captain Check Down DOES NOT BELONG ON THIS LIST

Kevin
01-04-2024, 09:12 PM
Looking at the names I think Steve Walker gave us as many memories as the other guys did. Sadly we just weren't playoff eligible at the time or he'd have had a few rings as well.

What a stone cold motherfucker tho

unbison
01-04-2024, 09:15 PM
EXACTLY----- WIN in games you aren't suppose to----whats his record vs. SDSU record vs. FBS

El chapo typing classes I see nice work

MyOhMy
01-04-2024, 09:19 PM
El chapo typing classes I see nice work

He's not wrong though... :cheers:

CAS4127
01-04-2024, 11:23 PM

Yeah—those TDs from the option-years QBs are inflated too.

Tony Almeida
01-05-2024, 02:31 AM
Looking at the names I think Steve Walker gave us as many memories as the other guys did. Sadly we just weren't playoff eligible at the time or he'd have had a few rings as well.

Spot on. Unfortunately, this will be the most underrated comment in this thread.

2011BisonAlumni
01-05-2024, 02:41 PM

Jeff Bentrim, Chris Simdorn and Kevin Feeney are #1, 3 and 4 respectively, in all time rushing TD’s for NDSU. They scored those TD’s as option quarterbacks in the veer. Cam Miller is #9 all time in rushing TD’s but likely surpasses Kevin Feeney as #4 all time. Somehow his rushing TD’s are invalided because they come out of zone read option as opposed to triple option?

Really don’t understand your logic at all…..

In his only FBS game, Cam Miller had a passing TD, rushing TD and a whopping total of 2 incompletions against Arizona. They were up 4 with 2 minutes left in that game. Wasn’t aware he played defense which allowed Arizona to go the length of the field and score. Cam Miller’s record against SDSU, compared to the other QB’s on this list, is far more a reflection on where SDSU is, as a whole program, compared to NDSU now versus the other tenure timelines for the other Bison greats.

heffray
01-05-2024, 03:06 PM
Jeff Bentrim, Chris Simdorn and Kevin Feeney are #1, 3 and 4 respectively, in all time rushing TD’s for NDSU. They scored those TD’s as option quarterbacks in the veer. Cam Miller is #9 all time in rushing TD’s but likely surpasses Kevin Feeney as #4 all time. Somehow his rushing TD’s are invalided because they come out of zone read option as opposed to triple option?

Really don’t understand your logic at all…..

In his only FBS game, Cam Miller had a passing TD, rushing TD and a whopping total of 2 incompletions against Arizona. They were up 4 with 2 minutes left in that game. Wasn’t aware he played defense which allowed Arizona to go the length of the field and score. Cam Miller’s record against SDSU, compared to the other QB’s on this list, is far more a reflection on where SDSU is, as a whole program, compared to NDSU now versus the other tenure timelines for the other Bison greats.

I disagree with the SDSU stuff, Defense was the only differentiator in the last 2 years. Offense was on par at least.

Agree on Cam. He’s underrated for sure, just not top 5, IMO…

heffray
01-05-2024, 03:07 PM

Spot on. Unfortunately, this will be the most underrated comment in this thread.

Not if we give it the cred it deserves.

I still don’t think Walker cracks the top 5, but that’s more of a credit to our other QBs than a knock on Steve…

CaBisonFan
01-05-2024, 03:25 PM
Who are they? I wish I could do a poll. I aw some work buddies doing this and they are Iowa alumni, and I swear I only recognized like 1 or 2 names on their list. I can't imagne NDSU having a worse list than Iowa.

Easton Stick
Brock Jenson
Jeff Bentrim
Chris Simdorn
Steve Walker
Carson Wentz

Trey Lance(?)
Kevin Feeney(?)
Arden Beachy(?)

I wouldn't even know how to rank. So easy to look at the stats and completely miss on the dudes that ran the option back in the day. Bentrim and Simdorn were unbelievable. Arden Beachy was good if I remember but he had a shortened career.I'd put Bruce Grasamke and Terry Hanson from the mid to late 60s on this list easily... and Cam Miller... who is in the top 5 in most of the passing categories. He's the all-time leader in completion percentage.

tony
01-05-2024, 03:27 PM
I wonder what people who think our offense is predictable today would have thought about NDSU's triple option. In 1986, Bentrim averaged 5 completions per game, and NDSU ran it over 80% of the time.

CaBisonFan
01-05-2024, 04:00 PM
I wonder what people who think our offense is predictable today would have thought about NDSU's triple option. In 1986, Bentrim averaged 5 completions per game, and NDSU ran it over 80% of the time.It's a really good point Tony. As for me... I'd say that the veer offense was much less predictable. Deception is what it was all about. Bentrim is the best option quarterback that I've seen in my life. Better than the old Oklahoma, Nebraska & Texas teams. Better than the military academies. Those five passes were often big plays and wide open because the defenses completely sold out to the run. It was a thrill to watch each play as it unfolded. Dive? Counter? Early pitch? Last second pitch? Pitch after gaining yards? Simdorn was great too. What I see now is personnel packages that project what's coming. Easy read for the defenses.

Kevin
01-05-2024, 04:07 PM
Not if we give it the cred it deserves.

I still don’t think Walker cracks the top 5, but that’s more of a credit to our other QBs than a knock on Steve…

Did anyone in the top 5 throw for 400+ yards against an FBS opponent?

Did any of the top 5 ritualistically murder Rhett Boomar with a dagger in the first truly "loud" moment in Fargodome history?

Didn't think so.

I'd firmly place him #4 overall and #1 for ice cold murder.

Son of a Bison
01-05-2024, 04:14 PM
Any good footage out there of Walker playing? Streaming or easily recording and rewatching games wasn’t easy then so listened to many games of that area.

CaBisonFan
01-05-2024, 04:17 PM

Did any of the top 5 ritualistically murder Rhett Boomar with a dagger in the first truly "loud" moment in Fargodome history?

Didn't think so.

I'd firmly place him #4 overall and #1 for ice cold murder.I call Steve Walker 'Houdini.' I was at the Cal Poly game where they came back from about a four-touchdown deficit in the last minutes of the game. It was nothing short of miraculous. Pinpoint passes downfield time after time. Incredible desire and instinct. I'm with you Kevin. He's in my top 2 passers.

CalBison97
01-05-2024, 06:08 PM
I call Steve Walker 'Houdini.' I was at the Cal Poly game where they came back from about a four-touchdown deficit in the last minutes of the game. It was nothing short of miraculous. Pinpoint passes downfield time after time. Incredible desire and instinct. I'm with you Kevin. He's in my top 2 passers.

I witnessed it as well, CaBisonFan. I also saw the massive comeback against UC Davis. Steve’s aerial assault was amazing!

heffray
01-05-2024, 06:17 PM

Didn't think so.

I'd firmly place him #4 overall and #1 for ice cold murder.

So your list is Stick at #1 and Walker at #4… what’s the rest?

I’m sticking with mine from page 1 and I’ll add some reasoning:
1. Stick - Best all around QB, Leader, clutch performer. Kid had it all and is the NDSU GOAT, IMO.
2. Lance - Single greatest season of any player in NDSU history.
3. Jensen - Best leader of all our QBs. Single-handedly willed the team to victory in Manhattan and in the dome against GSU the second time.
4. Bentrim - Best Option QB maybe ever in the history of football.
5. Wentz - Best passer and still our highest profile NDSU player.

scottietohottie
01-05-2024, 06:22 PM
Stick it! Eh.

Kevin
01-05-2024, 06:32 PM
So your list is Stick at #1 and Walker at #4… what’s the rest?

I’m sticking with mine from page 1 and I’ll add some reasoning:
1. Stick - Best all around QB, Leader, clutch performer. Kid had it all and is the NDSU GOAT, IMO.
2. Lance - Single greatest season of any player in NDSU history.
3. Jensen - Best leader of all our QBs. Single-handedly willed the team to victory in Manhattan and in the dome against GSU the second time.
4. Bentrim - Best Option QB maybe ever in the history of football.
5. Wentz - Best passer and still our highest profile NDSU player.

1. Easton Stick
2. Brock Jensen
3. Carson Wentz
4. Steve Walker
5. Trey Lance
6. Kevin Feeney
7. Jose Mohler

No disrespect intended to Bentrim and the OG's of the tradition. I was just too young to remember and I'm basically ranking off football I've actually watched. I believe Hyland was QB the first year I really got into bison football. Then ofcourse the Feeney years followed.

If I was going to structure a list without that perspective Bentrim is definitely in the top 4.

Kevin
01-05-2024, 06:35 PM
I call Steve Walker 'Houdini.' I was at the Cal Poly game where they came back from about a four-touchdown deficit in the last minutes of the game. It was nothing short of miraculous. Pinpoint passes downfield time after time. Incredible desire and instinct. I'm with you Kevin. He's in my top 2 passers.

You are a great football mind bro. We can't forget the Minnesota win either. He was a true field general. Probably could have done more than he did but he didn't have to in most games. Which was a testament to the greatness of the west coast offense in general.

I still remember when he came in for Strauss and thinking holy shit Bohl what are you doing? Start the kid. I don't remember who the game was, but I know he brought us back (we still lost) but the talent was obvious.

heffray
01-05-2024, 06:35 PM
1. Easton Stick
2. Brock Jensen
3. Carson Wentz
4. Steve Walker
5. Trey Lance
6. Kevin Feeney
7. Jose Mohler

No disrespect intended to Bentrim and the OG's of the tradition. I was just too young to remember and I'm basically ranking off football I've actually watched. I believe Hyland was QB the first year I really got into bison football. Then ofcourse the Feeney years followed.

If I was going to structure a list without that perspective Bentrim is definitely in the top 4.

I support your list.

Kevin
01-05-2024, 06:37 PM
I support your list.

Trey could have been an easy lock at #1 had he stayed even one more year. I don't fault the guy personally. That was top 5 pick money + covid craziness but it's just hard for me to rank a single season with guys who put in 4-5 years building the tradition.

With that being said he's currently my QB in madden 24 and on his way to winning a super bowl.

heffray
01-05-2024, 07:04 PM
Trey could have been an easy lock at #1 had he stayed even one more year. I don't fault the guy personally. That was top 5 pick money + covid craziness but it's just hard for me to rank a single season with guys who put in 4-5 years building the tradition.

With that being said he's currently my QB in madden 24 and on his way to winning a super bowl.

I was thinking the same thing on Trey. I could put him any where from 2 to 5… I just have a really hard time overlooking the single greatest season in NDSU history.

Kevin
01-05-2024, 07:05 PM
I was thinking the same thing on Trey. I could put him any where from 2 to 5… I just have a really hard time overlooking the single greatest season in NDSU history.

Yeah if we want to rank qb's by greatest season ever #1 isn't a debate.

#2 might be though.

heffray
01-05-2024, 07:06 PM
Yeah if we want to rank qb's by greatest season ever #1 isn't a debate.

#2 might be though.

I bet you Chaos already has a spreadsheet for this discussion…

2011BisonAlumni
01-05-2024, 07:52 PM
I disagree with the SDSU stuff, Defense was the only differentiator in the last 2 years. Offense was on par at least.

Agree on Cam. He’s underrated for sure, just not top 5, IMO…

List is top 10 all time, but he is top 5 all time if you just look at stats. I don’t know how he isn’t at least top 10 with a national championship win and the stats he has compiled.

By the end of this season, there is a dam good chance he ends up #2 all time in passing yards and passing TD’s. If he does that and the Bison win a national championship this year, I’m putting him in my top 5 all time.

heffray
01-05-2024, 09:05 PM
List is top 10 all time, but he is top 5 all time if you just look at stats. I don’t know how he isn’t at least top 10 with a national championship win and the stats he has compiled.

By the end of this season, there is a dam good chance he ends up #2 all time in passing yards and passing TD’s. If he does that and the Bison win a national championship this year, I’m putting him in my top 5 all time.

And I think the rationale is that if you give Wentz and Trey more seasons, their stats look ridiculous.

Kevin
01-05-2024, 09:40 PM
And I think the rationale is that if you give Wentz and Trey more seasons, their stats look ridiculous.

If Carson stays healthy. Big if.

And if Trey doesn't transfer rather than go pro. Big if.

heffray
01-05-2024, 09:48 PM
If Carson stays healthy. Big if.

And if Trey doesn't transfer rather than go pro. Big if.

True on Carson.

The argument is that Trey DOES stay. But I get what you are saying.

2011BisonAlumni
01-06-2024, 08:09 PM

Happens all the time in sports. But longevity of play makes a difference. That’s why Stick is #1 in most people’s book. Was he better than Trey Lance or Carson Wentz? No. But he had longevity which made the case against him impossible.

Cam Miller is a better QB than Kevin Feeney. He just is, and he belongs on that list.

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
01-07-2024, 06:48 AM
I'd put Bruce Grasamke and Terry Hanson from the mid to late 60s on this list easily... and Cam Miller... who is in the top 5 in most of the passing categories. He's the all-time leader in completion percentage.

Yep, I was also thinking Grasamke and Hansen. Also Mike Bentson.

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
01-07-2024, 06:49 AM
Happens all the time in sports. But longevity of play makes a difference. That’s why Stick is #1 in most people’s book. Was he better than Trey Lance or Carson Wentz? No. But he had longevity which made the case against him impossible.

Cam Miller is a better QB than Kevin Feeney. He just is, and he belongs on that list.

That's a bad rap on Wentz since he was behind Brock Jensen.

HerdBot
01-07-2024, 02:54 PM

Good list. 1 and 2 are no brainers but 3-5 could arguably be flipped

Also if you only stay for 1 year, you really don't have a the same type of legacy IMO. Makes me wonder what Trey would have done if he stayed for a few more years after the best individual season.

Wentz only played 1-1/2 seasons but really helped Easton as a freshman when he broke his hand and he stuck it out despite being behind Brock Jensen. Plus he has stayed active with the Bison program even after an NFL career. That is meaningful

Rock
01-13-2024, 12:51 PM
Asterisk for *Easy Esley Thorton

Behind 2 great talents and finally decided the qb battle in the 2014 Natty against Illinois State

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowgoose
01-13-2024, 01:53 PM
Asterisk for *Easy Esley Thorton

Behind 2 great talents and finally decided the qb battle in the 2014 Natty against Illinois State

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also think wentz greatly pushed Jensen. I mean Jensen junior year most on here were extremely frustrated with his play and people did mention wentz replacing him as a consideration after the Indiana state game. He turned it around later in the season but it was a rough stretch with Jensen that year.

So many great QBs and all for some different reasons. We needed wentz to be extremely clutch several times to win that first title and he destroyed Iowa state that year. Jensen was unreal against KSU and the gophers. Walker was fantastic against numerous FBS opponents. Stick was unreal to help us beat Iowa and it would have been so fun to see Trey play at Oregon. Covid really impacted Trey and the fun we all could have had that year watching Lance and watson and company.

NI4NI
01-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Stick was unreal to help us beat Iowa and it would have been so fun to see Trey play at Oregon. Covid really impacted Trey and the fun we all could have had that year watching Lance and watson and company.

Every time I think of how NCAA over-reacted to the chinah flu I get pissed off. Bison were robbed of so much by the poor decisions made.

scottietohottie
01-13-2024, 05:01 PM
Every time I think of how NCAA over-reacted to the chinah flu I get pissed off. Bison were robbed of so much by the poor decisions made.

Gene Taylor and Craig Bohl discovered the Baken. Matt and Matt made covid eh.

The Great Randini
01-13-2024, 09:26 PM

Everyone over-reacted and many suffered because of poor decisions

2011BisonAlumni
01-13-2024, 11:06 PM
Yep, I was also thinking Grasamke and Hansen. Also Mike Bentson.

Bruce Grasamke never lost a game as a starting QB at NDSU. Yes, I’d include him.

DORMIE
01-14-2024, 04:27 PM
Bruce was also a very fine golfer. probably
a 3 or 4 handicap. Back in the day those of
us on the Teammaker Board wanted to hire
Bruce as our Executive Director. Bob Entzon
hired don Morton under our nosed. Bruce had
the personality that Don lacked. Don, however
is a fine man. Has done well for himself.