PDA

View Full Version : New DC Grant Olson, Nick Goeser Co-DC

KyleK
12-21-2023, 07:14 PM
https://x.com/domizzowday/status/1737926775143891204?s=46&t=a89X5zr8Q4GrZGoCkZ3bZQ

Per Izzo: Confirming @ESPNRittenberg's report;
Grant Olson has been promoted to defensive coordinator with Nick Goeser taking over as co-defensive coordinator.
Jason Petrino will not be retained.

Bisonator98
12-21-2023, 07:16 PM
Wow hope he's a better DC then LBer and ST coach......

TransAmBison
12-21-2023, 07:16 PM
Did not see that coming.

KTF
12-21-2023, 07:25 PM
Really not sure what to think of this move... promote all your friends??

heckler
12-21-2023, 07:30 PM
Yikes......

GFBison
12-21-2023, 07:36 PM
Really not sure what to think of this move... promote all your friends??

Maybe it's promoting anyone Bisonville wants gone. Being unliked by Bisonville is the Kiss of Success! LOL.

heckler
12-21-2023, 07:38 PM
Maybe it's promoting anyone Bisonville wants gone. Being unliked by Bisonville is the Kiss of Success! LOL.

Lakes going to become NDSU Prez then.

KyleK
12-21-2023, 07:41 PM
https://gobison.com/news/2023/12/21/football-olson-goeser-elevated-to-defensive-coordinator-positions-at-ndsu.aspx

gobison.com article

G_Funky
12-21-2023, 07:52 PM
I like it!

Get back to the basics of Bison football with a defense ran by guys who know whats up!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-21-2023, 07:55 PM
Just thinking out loud, maybe our problems at LB are more personnel than coaching.

EndZoneQB
12-21-2023, 07:56 PM
IMO, this is a bad hire for a offensive head coach, especially as a first timer. I feel like you needed someone with extensive experience - I actually didn't think it was Petrino's fault, he's had good defenses where he's been and he inherited a bit of a dumpster fire. I would have said he would have been one of the most likely to stay on through at least next season.

I hope I'm wrong and they crush it. Goeser does make me feel slightly better, but we shall see.

Just thinking out loud, maybe our problems at LB are more personnel than coaching.

I feel like that is likely, at least, somewhat true. I think Petrino's defense wasn't that bad, we seemed to be in position to make plays, we just missed a LOT of tackles. Is that on the first year DC, LB coach, or the HC? I guess we shall see lol

THEsocalledfan
12-21-2023, 07:57 PM
I got no issue with it. Give them a chance and see how the chips fall. Olson is a natural born leader so it was only a matter of time before he got a shot. For those hung up on the LB play, they played a hell of a lot better at the end of the year, so give the coaches some credit. (Not to mention, I tend to think we've had some recruiting/roster management hiccups there....)

scottietohottie
12-21-2023, 07:57 PM

Who had the bright idea of kicking to that griz man eh? Just thinking out loud.

G_Funky
12-21-2023, 07:58 PM

Absolutely are.

Look at Gully and Kopp. Those guys can ball. Had a couple other dudes in there that couldnt get it done and lackluster play by our interior line really hampered our defense's ability to get teams off schedule and get off the field. Olson was in a no win situation and Goose was coaching arguably the best group on the defense.

With the young talent we have, the Bison defense is going to be a force!

scottietohottie
12-21-2023, 08:01 PM
I mean Phil Hansen gave the special teams a D grade and that was only because we made field goals or it would have been an F.

Gully
12-21-2023, 08:03 PM
Absolutely are.

Look at Gully and Kopp. Those guys can ball. Had a couple other dudes in there that couldnt get it done and lackluster play by our interior line really hampered our defense's ability to get teams off schedule and get off the field. Olson was in a no win situation and Goose was coaching arguably the best group on the defense.

Thanks man, I've worked really hard.

heckler
12-21-2023, 08:13 PM
I don't know what to think about it. STs were brutal. LBs were not great. Hope it works out.

LefseBison
12-21-2023, 08:18 PM
But it says Nick Goeser Co-DC. So who is in charge of DC. Am I missing something? Generally startled to see Grant in this position.

Bisonator98
12-21-2023, 08:41 PM
But it says Nick Goeser Co-DC. So who is in charge of DC. Am I missing something? Generally startled to see Grant in this position.

That's another thing I don't quite get, why the need for a co-DC unless you don't have full confidence in 1 guy. Seems like a weird message to send out IMO

tolnabison
12-21-2023, 08:54 PM
That's another thing I don't quite get, why the need for a co-DC unless you don't have full confidence in 1 guy. Seems like a weird message to send out IMO
You would be surprised at how many schools have co-coordinators.

noryan34
12-21-2023, 08:55 PM

Maybe it’s different for athletics. But at Universities generally the easiest way to pay people more money is to change their job title.

ndsubison1
12-21-2023, 08:55 PM
It just means they'll have different duties/assignments. Article makes it sound like Olson is the main DC.

heffray
12-21-2023, 09:00 PM
Not sure what to think but I hope Grant is a better Defensive Coordinator than he is a Special Teams Coordinator.

Bison_Pride
12-21-2023, 09:04 PM
Have they mentioned who the new Special Teams Coordinator is yet?

EndZoneQB
12-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Maybe it’s different for athletics. But at Universities generally the easiest way to pay people more money is to change their job title.

This is a great point. Goeser was a priority holdover and they wanted to give him a bump in pay/responsibilities before he left.

tjamz
12-21-2023, 09:13 PM
If memory serves, Grant was a hell of a field general when he was on the field. Had the ability to read an offense and direct his teammates. I'm hoping that this translates to DC better than it did LB/ST. Reading offenses, identifying tendencies, and anticipating what the opposing OC is going to throw at him is typically better suited for a DC than a position coach IMO.

I don't hate the promotion, but I'm not in love with it either. We'll see in a few months I guess.

KyleK
12-21-2023, 09:16 PM
https://x.com/kolpackinforum/status/1737950844140560737?s=46&t=a89X5zr8Q4GrZGoCkZ3bZQ

Per Kolpack: Lewis Walker will remain d-backs assistant and Jeff Phelps will remain as d-tackles coach.

Kevin
12-21-2023, 09:39 PM
Not sure what to make of this. But I’m glad Petrino is gone.

Still no definitive answer on roehl?

Professor Chaos
12-21-2023, 09:45 PM
Absolutely are.

Idk... still not buying it. You named two guys in the entire group and one hardly played any meaningful snaps last year. It's not like the LB position had the attrition issues that the defensive secondary had either in terms of contributors leaving. They have not recruited the position well recently IMO and that's on the position coach as well since I'd assume he has a large say in how the recruiting boards sets up for that position.

I hope you're right though - Grant is definitely a great person and a great Bison so would be awesome to see him be successful in this spot.

HerdBot
12-21-2023, 09:52 PM
If memory serves, Grant was a hell of a field general when he was on the field. Had the ability to read an offense and direct his teammates. I'm hoping that this translates to DC better than it did LB/ST. Reading offenses, identifying tendencies, and anticipating what the opposing OC is going to throw at him is typically better suited for a DC than a position coach IMO.

I don't hate the promotion, but I'm not in love with it either. We'll see in a few months I guess.

It's a totally different skill set. Special teams is more scheme and the players have to execute. Calling a defense is like calling plays

Kujava23
12-21-2023, 10:28 PM
Wow hope he's a better DC then LBer and ST coach......

Yeah agree...not excited about it

Is there a reason hes bounced around and not moved up before?

NDSUBowler
12-21-2023, 10:41 PM
Olson will call plays, Goeser will work on schemes.

Seems like the best usage for both, given Grant's "general" status when he was running the D as a player.

RonMexico
12-21-2023, 11:27 PM

Who recruited the personnel? Wasn't he linebackers coach for 5 years...pretty sure he would have had say in who they recruited for the postion.

Professor Chaos
12-21-2023, 11:34 PM
Olson will call plays, Goeser will work on schemes.

Seems like the best usage for both, given Grant's "general" status when he was running the D as a player.
So Goeser is the "big picture guy" and Olson is the "play-to-play guy"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q38O7fg9ogI

tjamz
12-21-2023, 11:58 PM
It's a totally different skill set. Special teams is more scheme and the players have to execute. Calling a defense is like calling playsThat's kinda what I was trying to get at

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

CAS4127
12-22-2023, 12:04 AM

Wondering if this move had something to do with Petrino's position/philosophy on DT technique and resultantly exposing our LBs to major roles is taking on blockers when they aren't built for that right now. Granted our Dline is smaller, and we got gashed even last year up the middle, but there are still techniques that can be used to keep LBs clean. We started to change DT technique late this season by stemming to it, and it seemed to help, but stemming to it like we did isn’t the best way to do it IMO.

Regardless, we need 10 extra pounds on all front seven without losing speed at the OLB position. We also need to coach up tackle/pursuit angles at all positions unfortunately (that really should be innate ability/instinct). And one of the OLBs coming back shouldn’t be on the field … regardless.

CAS4127
12-22-2023, 12:08 AM
That's kinda what I was trying to get at

Way more to STs really, especially KO and punt coverage.

KC_Hats
12-22-2023, 12:20 AM
Logan Kopp had a very good season. He was first team MVFC. Kubitz also had a good season. Oscar Benson is probably the other outside linebacker.

When Grant Olson played the coaches always raved about his football IQ.

I'm assuming Goeser is helping Grant with the game plan. When Klieman and Hazelton were coaching together they always talked about the collaboration between the coaches to come up with the game plan.

I really like this hire. Go Bison! ��

MangyOldBison
12-22-2023, 01:06 AM
Logan Kopp had a very good season. He was first team MVFC. Kubitz also had a good season. Oscar Benson is probably the other outside linebacker.

I'm assuming Goeser is helping Grant with the game plan. When Klieman and Hazelton were coaching together they always talked about the collaboration between the coaches to come up with the game plan.

Outstanding!!

heffray
12-22-2023, 01:21 AM

I am skeptical of this hire. Go Bison.

Kevin
12-22-2023, 04:08 AM
Wondering if this move had something to do with Petrino's position/philosophy on DT technique and resultantly exposing our LBs to major roles is taking on blockers when they aren't built for that right now. Granted our Dline is smaller, and we got gashed even last year up the middle, but there are still techniques that can be used to keep LBs clean. We started to change DT technique late this season by stemming to it, and it seemed to help, but stemming to it like we did isn’t the best way to do it IMO.

Regardless, we need 10 extra pounds on all front seven without losing speed at the OLB position. We also need to coach up tackle/pursuit angles at all positions unfortunately (that really should be innate ability/instinct). And one of the OLBs coming back shouldn’t be on the field … regardless.

Why do you think the first tackle consistently whiffed the last two years? Technique? Angle? Voodoo curse?

123Gobison
12-22-2023, 04:40 AM
Good Lord. That dumb idiot Grant Olson is a DC now. He was my student many years ago, dont get me wrong, he was a good athlete but he couldnt add 2+2. Polasek will be fired in 5 years.

Bison2024
12-22-2023, 05:01 AM
Hope Grant is a better DC than ST coordinator.

heckler
12-22-2023, 12:08 PM
Good Lord. That dumb idiot Grant Olson is a DC now. He was my student many years ago, dont get me wrong, he was a good athlete but he couldnt add 2+2. Polasek will be fired in 5 years.

brutal lol

Wopbison
12-22-2023, 12:11 PM
Anyone else surprised by Goesers' statement in the press release? To me is sounds as though there was some coaching philosophy differences and they weren't all on the same page. And given what we have seen on the field the last few years, I would believe that there was. How many years during our run did we need the offense to score 30 to ensure a win. We can look at position coaches and coordinators but at the end of the day, in my book, the head coach has the ultimate say on if those philosophies are adopted.

KSBisonFan
12-22-2023, 12:47 PM
Can someone tell me how this hire is going to get us back to a championship level defense? Seems underwhelming to me, but I'm open to convincing.

Seems like we promoted from our weakest part of the staff.

ndsubison1
12-22-2023, 01:03 PM

He graduated with an engineering degree. Something doesnt add up.

23Bison
12-22-2023, 01:05 PM
I don’t know but I hope with the comments being made about getting the defense back to what it was during “The Run” and away from this bull fighting shit we’ve done in the run game. If they can and know how to get even close to that then I’m all for it. I am skeptical but optimistic of what’s to come.

ndsubison1
12-22-2023, 01:07 PM
Can someone tell me how this hire is going to get us back to a championship level defense? Seems underwhelming to me, but I'm open to convincing.

Seems like we promoted from our weakest part of the staff.

Hope he can grow into the role and rely a little bit on assistants along the way. That's probably why Goeser was also named a Co-DC.

23Bison

Lakes? 10char

scottietohottie

123 is probably an atheist eh.

Professor Chaos
12-22-2023, 01:14 PM
Consider the source of the comment you quoted and it makes more sense.

GreenfieldBison
12-22-2023, 01:47 PM
One is on my ignore list and the other isn't. Does that help?

heffray
12-22-2023, 02:24 PM
123 is probably an atheist eh.

We come in all shapes and sizes.

NDSUBowler
12-22-2023, 02:44 PM

I feel confident if this is 123's take then GO is in his correct role. I doubt 123 has been correct about anything ever.

heffray
12-22-2023, 03:17 PM
I feel confident if this is 123's take then GO is in his correct role. I doubt 123 has been correct about anything ever.

Apparently he’s a teacher, so i hope he’s at least correct about the things he is teaching our students…

tjamz
12-22-2023, 03:54 PM
Way more to STs really, especially KO and punt coverage.I get that. I probably didn't articulate my original points well.

Perhaps I should have said he's probably more versed at adjusting a defense to meet the scheme of the offense than he is at ST scheming.

Again, I realize that it probably didn't come across that way initially and I'm too lazy to go back and edit my original post.

NDSU92
12-22-2023, 04:05 PM

Took Diff. Eq. with Grant. He was one of the smartest kids in the class and was incredibly humble and a great person to boot.

Try taking a break from being an ignorant piece of shit for a while.

PlrbrBison
12-22-2023, 04:06 PM
I get that. I probably didn't articulate my original points well.

Perhaps I should have said he's probably more versed at adjusting a defense to meet the scheme of the offense than he is at ST scheming.

Again, I realize that it probably didn't come across that way initially and I'm too lazy to go back and edit my original post.

GO did a great job as a leader when he was playing and I believe in what Polasek sees in him. I'm hopeful that he just wasn't a good fit as special teams coach.

TheKingpin28
12-22-2023, 04:55 PM
Good Lord. That dumb idiot Grant Olson is a DC now. He was my student many years ago, dont get me wrong, he was a good athlete but he couldnt add 2+2. Polasek will be fired in 5 years.Strange since we grew up together and went to Camp Christmas Tree as well as NDSU and he was always an intelligent man. Not saying he is a mensa member, but I guess we have different perspectives.

Sent from my SM-A546U1 using Tapatalk

heffray
12-22-2023, 05:20 PM

Genuinely curious, where do you teach currently?

tony
12-22-2023, 05:22 PM
Grant was on Bison1660 today so a link to the interview should be up later.

Until then, Dom had him on: Dom Izzo: Grant Olson on the newest Bison signee (https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1738264660615237867)

southcliffbison
12-22-2023, 06:49 PM
Took Diff. Eq. with Grant. He was one of the smartest kids in the class and was incredibly humble and a great person to boot.

Try taking a break from being an ignorant piece of shit for a while.

What you said.......but when it's in your DNA, it would be difficult for people like 321 to evolve.

56BISON73
12-22-2023, 06:52 PM
Apparently he’s a teacher, so i hope he’s at least correct about the things he is teaching our students…

That is if you believe him. I wouldnt.

EndZoneQB
12-22-2023, 07:39 PM
Anyone else surprised by Goesers' statement in the press release? To me is sounds as though there was some coaching philosophy differences and they weren't all on the same page. And given what we have seen on the field the last few years, I would believe that there was. How many years during our run did we need the offense to score 30 to ensure a win. We can look at position coaches and coordinators but at the end of the day, in my book, the head coach has the ultimate say on if those philosophies are adopted.

I've heard there were some disagreements with Petrino and the position coaches(and possibly Entz)

PlrbrBison
12-22-2023, 07:55 PM
I've heard there were some disagreements with Petrino and the position coaches(and possibly Entz)

Sounds like its a good thing to have new leadership then. And hopefully the guys that stick around are willing to work together and not try to run each their own program.

123Gobison
12-22-2023, 09:08 PM
No glory in me being correct. Happy to see me wrong and NDSU on the right side.

I hope your students are coming to college to learn and not politics.

Professor Chaos
12-22-2023, 09:29 PM
Pretty sure Entz had a much larger hand in running the defense after the UND game this season than he ever did with Braun. I recall in one of his game week Monday pressers during the playoffs he said something to the effect of "I spent all morning in the defensive coaches meetings and poked my head in on the offensive coaches meetings".

There's no way Polasek didn't take a lot of advice from Entz and/or the current players when deciding on what coaches to retain since he's retaining almost all of them and only has pre-existing relationships with 4 as far as I can see (Roehl, Hedberg, Olson, and Goeser).

heffray
12-22-2023, 09:41 PM
No glory in me being correct. Happy to see me wrong and NDSU on the right side.

I hope your students are coming to college to learn and not politics.

I hope your students go to someone else to learn how to properly construct a sentence.

heffray
12-22-2023, 09:43 PM
Pretty sure Entz had a much larger hand in running the defense after the UND game this season than he ever did with Braun. I recall in one of his game week Monday pressers during the playoffs he said something to the effect of "I spent all morning in the defensive coaches meetings and poked my head in on the offensive coaches meetings".

There's no way Polasek didn't take a lot of advice from Entz and/or the current players when deciding on what coaches to retain since he's retaining almost all of them and only has pre-existing relationships with 4 as far as I can see (Roehl, Hedberg, Olson, and Goeser).

Which is interesting because Petrino was Entz’s hire, and it was very recent (as you all know)…

KC_Hats
12-22-2023, 10:07 PM
Which is interesting because Petrino was Entz’s hire, and it was very recent (as you all know)…

Doesn't mean it wasn't a bad hire. Mitch Breske was a terrible hire at defensive coordinator under Bohl. He was 1 and done.

PlrbrBison
12-22-2023, 10:08 PM
Doesn't mean it wasn't a bad hire. Mitch Breske was a terrible hire at defensive coordinator under Bohl. He was 1 and done.

In the words of Flavor Flav, "Yea Booyyyy"!

heffray
12-22-2023, 10:13 PM

No argument here… I was responding to a post about Polasek taking advice from Entz on coaches. All indications were that Petrino was one of Entz’s guys from earlier in his career. Seems unlikely to me that Entz gave Polasek advice to can one of “his guys,” but who knows…?

GreenfieldBison
12-22-2023, 10:15 PM
No argument here… I was responding to a post about Polasek taking advice from Entz on coaches. All indications were that Petrino was one of Entz’s guys from earlier in his career. Seems unlikely to me that Entz gave Polasek advice to can one of “his guys,” but who knows…?
He just might if he was planning to do so himself had he stayed.

heffray
12-22-2023, 10:16 PM
He just might if he was planning to do so himself had he stayed.

All speculation aside, I don’t think Tim needed much inside advice to make that call.

Professor Chaos
12-22-2023, 10:17 PM
Something tells me Petrino wouldn't have been back if Entz was sticking around either. Not the first time a coach has made a bad hire (see Breske, Mike - hired by Craig Bohl as DC in 2009).

Not saying Petrino (or Breske for that matter) is a bad coach - sometime guys just don't mix well when they have to adapt to pre-existing schemes and personnel.

heffray
12-22-2023, 10:28 PM
Something tells me Petrino wouldn't have been back if Entz was sticking around either. Not the first time a coach has made a bad hire (see Breske, Mike - hired by Craig Bohl as DC in 2009).

Not saying Petrino (or Breske for that matter) is a bad coach - sometime guys just don't mix well when they have to adapt to pre-existing schemes and personnel.

Fair point.

heckler
12-23-2023, 03:17 AM

If I remember correctly NDSU was having a horrible time against the 3-4. Bohl was so impressed with how many issues the 3-4 gave his team that he decided to hire Breske to implement it even though we recruited for a Tampa 2. Well it didn't work BUT it did help NDSU get over their offensive issues against the 3-4.

CAS4127
12-23-2023, 03:22 AM

Not to mention our D sucked a year ago too, under Braun.

56BISON73
12-23-2023, 03:36 AM

There are no absolutes in hiring coaches. Some work out some dont. Every head coach hires a dud or two in their career. Some supposed great hires for some reason dont work out when the staff goes to another school.

LefseBison
12-23-2023, 05:07 AM
There are no absolutes in hiring coaches. Some work out some dont. Every head coach hires a dud or two in their career. Some supposed great hires for some reason dont work out when the staff goes to another school.

Profound...

Mr. Burgundy
12-23-2023, 12:19 PM
I’ll have Goose on at roughly 8:15 this morning. Green and Gold gameday show. 740 the fan. Should be fun. Talking all things Bison!

Gully
12-23-2023, 12:53 PM
I’ll have Goose on at roughly 8:15 this morning. Green and Gold gameday show. 740 the fan. Should be fun. Talking all things Bison!

Burgundy must have an AI driven twin or something....he's everywhere!

heffray
12-23-2023, 01:47 PM

…and look at Braun now. Good points, all.

CalBison97
12-23-2023, 01:58 PM

Great segment and show! Will be tuning in more often!

23Bison
12-23-2023, 02:18 PM
…and look at Braun now. Good points, all.

Yeah and I opinion he was a shitty DC and seems to be doing ok as a HC. Never would have guessed.

EndZoneQB
12-23-2023, 04:06 PM

This is why I was surprised Petrino was the ONLY odd man out. The only coaches that were involved with both years are still on staff, and the newcomer running the show of the somewhat improved defense...is gone. Hope it's the right move.

AKBison
12-23-2023, 10:42 PM
Great segment and show! Will be tuning in more often!

Link??????

CalBison97
12-23-2023, 11:16 PM
Link??????

I listened live by using the tune in app and searched 740 the fan. I will dig around, but I’m sure Burgundy knows if/where replay can be found.

mtoutfitter
12-23-2023, 11:58 PM
I just searched for 740 the fan. Under sports there was a tab for Bison Central. Show is listed there.

ndsubison1
12-24-2023, 02:28 AM
Also search Bison Central on your podcast app. Found it on Google Podcasts.

BISONBRI53
12-26-2023, 01:43 PM
Yeah agree...not excited about it

Is there a reason hes bounced around and not moved up before?

Bounced around? ISUB was his lone stop...

KSBisonFan
12-26-2023, 04:26 PM

Just listened to this. Well done! Give it a listen if you get a chance.

PlrbrBison
12-26-2023, 04:48 PM
Bounced around? ISUB was his lone stop...

He is done with special teams in his new roll isn't he?

Bisman
12-26-2023, 05:09 PM
Just listened to this. Well done! Give it a listen if you get a chance.

This is the link to the Podcast: https://740thefan.com/podcasts-bison-central/

bisonfanette
12-26-2023, 05:54 PM
This is the link to the Podcast: https://740thefan.com/podcasts-bison-central/

I just listened, thank you. When is Jay usually on the radio?

Jay
12-26-2023, 07:34 PM
I just listened, thank you. When is Jay usually on the radio?

Saturday’s at 0800.