PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Bowl XXXI (2023)

tony
11-10-2023, 03:45 PM
I don't like picking sides on these games, but I do like listening to the coverage.

South Border (Wishek/Ashley) Mustangs vs North Prairie (Rolette/Wolford/Rolla) Cougars is on right now.

KSBisonFan
11-10-2023, 04:03 PM
Go South Border! Score update?

THEsocalledfan
11-10-2023, 04:12 PM
Go North Prairie! South Border fans are commies.

Score?

scottietohottie
11-10-2023, 04:15 PM
State champs eh

THEsocalledfan
11-10-2023, 04:16 PM
State champs eh

Wow!!!!!! Hope they have a huge celebration like we did in 1990.

runtheoption
11-10-2023, 04:25 PM
Hell of an ending. Had to listen on the radio. Here is what I heard -- South Border drove inside the 5, took their final timeout with 10-15 seconds left, QB kept the ball on the next play and was stopped by NDSU stud recruit Nate Tastad, and then South Border could not get reset for the spike to stop the clock.

tony
11-10-2023, 04:28 PM
North Prairie wins on a goal line stand with time running out, 16-8. They ran the ball almost 50 times and passed it a couple times too.

Schumacher from South Border is a helluva player (among others.) Those were two hardnosed teams.

NDSU recruit and North Prairie player, Nate Tastad, was named player of the year. His younger brother had a big play or two too.

scottietohottie
11-10-2023, 04:36 PM
North Prairie wins on a goal line stand with time running out, 16-8. They ran the ball almost 50 times and passed it a couple times too.

Schumacher from South Border is a helluva player (among others.) Those were two hardnosed teams.

NDSU recruit and North Prairie player, Nate Tastad, was named player of the year. His younger brother had a big play or two too.

We put the Tyler Roehl in Tyler Roehl eh. Haven't had a qb since new Rockford. Just moved the tailback to qb and pound it

THEsocalledfan
11-10-2023, 04:41 PM
We put the Tyler Roehl in Tyler Roehl eh. Haven't had a qb since new Rockford. Just moved the tailback to qb and pound it

Rolette coaching in action. In 1990, we lost our NDSU recruited running back late in the year, and won a semi-final with a backup kicker in OT, as our normal kicker, who was all-state, was also hurt.

scottietohottie
11-10-2023, 04:44 PM
My 7 year old rushed the field with his best friend and got in trouble. Lolz. Just like his old man. Hopefully unbison sees this
I make lakes rushing the field look like a hobo in Frisco eh

THEsocalledfan
11-10-2023, 05:34 PM
My 7 year old rushed the field with his best friend and got in trouble. Lolz. Just like his old man. Hopefully unbison sees this

That's a great kid; now coach him up on evading security.

KSBisonFan
11-10-2023, 06:47 PM
Go North Prairie! South Border fans are commies.

Score?

Yeah, sausage making commies. What's your point?

runtheoption
11-10-2023, 06:49 PM
Kindred puts a whooping on Dickinson Trinity, 36-7, in the Class A championship. Riley Sunram would look good in a Bison uniform.

tony
11-10-2023, 06:58 PM
Kindred puts a whooping on Dickinson Trinity, 36-7, in the Class A championship. Riley Sunram would look good in a Bison uniform.

I looked at Trinity's roster and if they have maybe two or three guys who weigh over 200 lbs so that's a tough matchup.

I wonder what kind of S/OLB prospect Jake Starcevic is? I'm guessing he'll be a pretty sought-after recruit.

scottietohottie
11-10-2023, 07:16 PM
Yeah, sausage making commies. What's your point?

Langdon sausage is better eh

TAILG8R
11-10-2023, 07:23 PM

Thems fightin’ words

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottietohottie
11-10-2023, 07:35 PM
Thems fightin’ words

I know have family who lived in wishek

mtoutfitter
11-10-2023, 07:43 PM

Cmon Scottie...everyone knows that SE ND is where all the best sausage comes from! :)

scottietohottie
11-10-2023, 07:46 PM
Cmon Scottie...everyone knows that SE ND is where all the best sausage comes from! :)

Us northern boys grew up on garlic from Langdon. The south west elk sausage is pretty top notch eh

El_Chapo
11-10-2023, 07:47 PM

Wishek sausage shits on yours. plus they just announced delivery anywhere in US. (expect to NY. sorry Tony) from Stan's Super Valu website ..

ok fine. new york too.... haha

1 of our posters has a prominent player on shanley they'll be fun to watch at 640

ByeSonBusiness
11-10-2023, 07:48 PM

That's very competitive and low scoring for 9 man football

ByeSonBusiness
11-10-2023, 07:48 PM
Napoleon does very good sausage too

TAILG8R
11-10-2023, 07:59 PM
Haugo is gonna to have to learn how to back pedal and let the runner roll him before he sees the field at NDSU. He has a tendency to hit low with his shoulder, wrap up and run through his tackles.

;)

TAILG8R
11-10-2023, 08:01 PM
Nice to see the yard lines only have one long bend in them instead of multiple S curves like before.

gotts
11-10-2023, 08:09 PM
Hell of an ending. Had to listen on the radio. Here is what I heard -- South Border drove inside the 5, took their final timeout with 10-15 seconds left, QB kept the ball on the next play and was stopped by NDSU stud recruit Nate Tastad, and then South Border could not get reset for the spike to stop the clock.

South Border QB is a sophomore, heck of a job by them this year. Credit to North Prairie (and both teams) for playing hard fought defense. Between the two teams, I think they averaged about 90 points per game this year.

runtheoption
11-10-2023, 08:14 PM
I looked at Trinity's roster and if they have maybe two or three guys who weigh over 200 lbs so that's a tough matchup.

I wonder what kind of S/OLB prospect Jake Starcevic is? I'm guessing he'll be a pretty sought-after recruit.

Starcevic should be getting at least D-II offers for football. Kindred basketball this winter will probably be starting 5 athletes going on to play a D-I or D-II sport.

scottietohottie
11-10-2023, 08:20 PM
South Border QB is a sophomore, heck of a job by them this year. Credit to North Prairie (and both teams) for playing hard fought defense. Between the two teams, I think they averaged about 90 points per game this year.

That was by far the best I've seen the north prairie defense play. Our freshman Jonathan Mears had 2 picks and a huge first down catch on the second td drive. He's cooler then his uncle Ryan Mears now.

scottietohottie
11-10-2023, 11:34 PM
Lol more fans at the 9 man game then teh big boys eh.

unbison
11-11-2023, 12:55 AM

I bet your 7 year old was awesome…. Way better then lakes as 7 year old wasn’t doing it to be seen

LefseBison
11-11-2023, 01:01 AM
Exciting to see "young people" in the FARGODOME. Many from out of town. I hope their impression of the FARGODOME is a good one and it convinces them to attend NDSU when their times comes. :bowdown:

LefseBison
11-11-2023, 01:04 AM
Lol more fans at the 9 man game then teh big boys eh.

That's usually because the smaller towns tend to rally around their schools and teams more than the bigger ones. Sometimes apathy amongst the larger towns. My graduating class was just under 400 kids. I didn't know half of them.

scottietohottie
11-11-2023, 02:14 AM
Minot eh. .

CAS4127
11-11-2023, 02:33 AM
Minot eh. .

Very fun game to watch. Lots of talent on both teams. That Minot QB can spin it, and the kicker/DB #3 was solid.

HerdBot
11-11-2023, 01:44 PM
Exciting to see "young people" in the FARGODOME. Many from out of town. I hope their impression of the FARGODOME is a good one and it convinces them to attend NDSU when their times comes. :bowdown:

It would be nice to bring an extra 100,000 people to town every year instread of Grand Forks, Bismarck, St Cloud or Sioux Falls. Heck I would be happy if we could steal a Chris Stapleton concert from the Alerus. He's been there twice in the last 2 years. 0 times in Fargo

Yep future players and students would have a better impression if it looked like this...

But 2 cents on an 11 dollar purchase or $6.25 on a new house is a back breaker for some
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-oJfvaXcAAsCmd?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-NdufgXoAA--Ad?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-HWqXKWAAEdnyR?format=jpg&name=large
https://twitter.com/ExpandFargodome/status/1723200269188514028/photo/4
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-oJguCWoAAe_Yg?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-HWqtFWUAAnZ1u?format=jpg&name=medium
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-NdvCnWgAAtukX?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F9JK0_2XAAAwOSi?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6RM4Z-XcAA3QjV?format=jpg&name=medium

scottietohottie
11-11-2023, 01:47 PM
That's usually because the smaller towns tend to rally around their schools and teams more than the bigger ones. Sometimes apathy amongst the larger towns. My graduating class was just under 400 kids. I didn't know half of them.

Yeah I heard that's why they have state class A and B wrestling together. If class A had its own tournament the stands would be empty. It's a community event for class B.

LefseBison
11-11-2023, 02:46 PM
It would be nice to bring an extra 100,000 people to town every year instread of Grand Forks, Bismarck, St Cloud or Sioux Falls. Heck I would be happy if we could steal a Chris Stapleton concert from the Alerus. He's been there twice in the last 2 years. 0 times in Fargo

Yep future players and students would have a better impression if it looked like this...

But 2 cents on an 11 dollar purchase or $6.25 on a new house is a back breaker for some
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-oJfvaXcAAsCmd?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-NdufgXoAA--Ad?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-HWqXKWAAEdnyR?format=jpg&name=large
https://twitter.com/ExpandFargodome/status/1723200269188514028/photo/4
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-oJguCWoAAe_Yg?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-HWqtFWUAAnZ1u?format=jpg&name=medium
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-NdvCnWgAAtukX?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F9JK0_2XAAAwOSi?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F6RM4Z-XcAA3QjV?format=jpg&name=medium

I am so pumped when I see those drawings again of what we COULD have in Fargo. Just so dramatic and impressive. I hope some of the convincing and salesmen types can fashion a good letter to the editor about these financial comparisons and how little it will cost the average person. I hope when there are call-in radio shows, be sure to get on there, too.

NDSU_grad
11-11-2023, 03:19 PM
Very fun game to watch. Lots of talent on both teams. That Minot QB can spin it, and the kicker/DB #3 was solid.
Fun fact. Minot’s qb is first cousin of NDSU freshman Collin Knorr, nephew of former Bison Steve Knorr, and great nephew of Bison HOF’er Walt Odegaard. And that might be the greatest hs football game I’ve ever seen in person.

80ALUM
11-11-2023, 03:43 PM
Hope they don't keep blue seats

TAILG8R
11-11-2023, 04:18 PM
Hope they don't keep blue seats

What if they have a plan to replace the seats but they know if that was a line item in this proposal people would bitch about the unnecessary expense and vote note no???

LefseBison
11-11-2023, 10:45 PM
What if they have a plan to replace the seats but they know if that was a line item in this proposal people would bitch about the unnecessary expense and vote note no???

Some people are impossible! No matter what is in the proposal, they are pissed. Must be tough to live with such griping people.

scottietohottie
11-12-2023, 02:29 PM
I thought that d lineman from Minot had a hell of a motor. Maybe a little of Shanley hadn't had to play a 4 quarter game all season?

kab1one
11-12-2023, 03:48 PM
I thought that d lineman from Minot had a hell of a motor. Maybe a little of Shanley hadn't had to play a 4 quarter game all season?

I'm a shanley parent, Minot high grad. Give Minot a lot a credit. They didn't go away. Shanley was up in second half, 28-7 and 35-14. Minot just hung around and made plays. Coughlin's touchdown that made the score 35-28 was very well covered and I still don't see how he caught the ball. i see NDUS offered him a PWO. Even at 35-35, Shanley's last drive we moved ball right down the field. 3rd and 4th down plays from Minot's 20, Shanley didn't make the plays. Minot got the ball back and moved the length tof the field. Minot did the exact same thing against Sheyenne, down 17 in the third. Just stuck around and waited for the other team to make a mistake (Which Shanley did with the pick 6)/

Entertaining game. Great season for Shanley and very well played game by Minot. Hats off and congrats to them.

scottietohottie
11-12-2023, 04:10 PM
I'm a shanley parent, Minot high grad. Give Minot a lot a credit. They didn't go away. Shanley was up in second half, 28-7 and 35-14. Minot just hung around and made plays. Coughlin's touchdown that made the score 35-28 was very well covered and I still don't see how he caught the ball. i see NDUS offered him a PWO. Even at 35-35, Shanley's last drive we moved ball right down the field. 3rd and 4th down plays from Minot's 20, Shanley didn't make the plays. Minot got the ball back and moved the length tof the field. Minot did the exact same thing against Sheyenne, down 17 in the third. Just stuck around and waited for the other team to make a mistake (Which Shanley did with the pick 6)/

Entertaining game. Great season for Shanley and very well played game by Minot. Hats off and congrats to them.

I enjoyed watching it.

ByeSonBusiness
11-12-2023, 10:01 PM
Yeah I heard that's why they have state class A and B wrestling together. If class A had its own tournament the stands would be empty. It's a community event for class B.

When I was in middle/high school (05-10) the best road dual crowds were Carrington and Belcourt. We (Jamestown) usually had good turnout, Valley City as well.

Hammerhead
11-13-2023, 12:50 AM

Fargo South was one of the largest high schools in North Dakota back in the 1980s and there were only around 240 that graduated in my class. My godparents (an aunt and uncle) live just outside of Barnesville and have gone to just about every high school sporting event they can for decades, even when their kids or grandkids weren't in high school. Now I live down the block from South High's front door and try to get to one football game each year and that's about it.

IndyBison
11-13-2023, 12:54 AM
Fargo South was one of the largest high schools in North Dakota back in the 1980s and there were only around 240 that graduated in my class. My godparents (an aunt and uncle) live just outside of Barnesville and have gone to just about every high school sporting event they can for decades, even when their kids or grandkids weren't in high school. Now I live down the block from South High's front door and try to get to one football game each year and that's about it.Minot was the largest high school at that time, and we were usually around 500. I didn't realize Fargo South was that much smaller.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

TAILG8R
11-13-2023, 01:20 AM
Minot was the largest high school at that time, and we were usually around 500. I didn't realize Fargo South was that much smaller.

My class at South was almost 450.

LefseBison
11-13-2023, 02:36 AM
Fargo South was one of the largest high schools in North Dakota back in the 1980s and there were only around 240 that graduated in my class. My godparents (an aunt and uncle) live just outside of Barnesville and have gone to just about every high school sporting event they can for decades, even when their kids or grandkids weren't in high school. Now I live down the block from South High's front door and try to get to one football game each year and that's about it.

I was at Fargo South High when it opened in 1967 and graduated several years later. I can't remember the exact number in my graduating class, but maybe 380 kids. There is another poster further down below my post who said that his Fargo South grad class was 450 which is a LOT.

NDSU_grad
11-13-2023, 11:32 AM

I hadn’t heard about a PWO for Conklin. From what I’ve heard he does want to come here, so if that’s true he’ll probably end up in the green and gold.

BISONBRI53
11-13-2023, 02:00 PM
My class at South was almost 450.

At the time 1996 my graduating class was the biggest ever at FS... That lasted 1 year.

TAILG8R
11-13-2023, 03:01 PM
At the time 1996 my graduating class was the biggest ever at FS... That lasted 1 year.

Yep mine was the biggest prior to yours.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
11-13-2023, 10:41 PM
Sucked losing in the Dakota Bowl, good to see Minot finally take down Mattern ……. What a way to win coming back against the best team all year.

roadwarrior
11-14-2023, 02:19 AM
Minot North high school is scheduled to open next fall. This will split the pool of athletes in the future up there.

NDSU_grad
11-14-2023, 03:42 AM
Minot North high school is scheduled to open next fall. This will split the pool of athletes in the future up there.
The sophomore class was already at North this year. Minot High will be good in AAA next year, but after that I’m hoping both North and High will be in AA. The enrollment numbers will be right on the border.

LefseBison
11-14-2023, 02:01 PM
Whenever a town has one high school, there is pride in it. Then the high school gets overcrowded and there is a split. This happened at Grand Forks many decades ago (Central, Red River). Then West Fargo went from one high school to 2. Now Minot. Moorhead probably could support 2 high schools enrollment-wise but they kept it to one. I heard some felt it would keep the pride in the high school and town.

I think Fargo is ready for another high school, its fifth including the alternative school which used to be Woodrow Wilson.

Hammerhead
11-14-2023, 06:48 PM
I was at Fargo South High when it opened in 1967 and graduated several years later. I can't remember the exact number in my graduating class, but maybe 380 kids. There is another poster further down below my post who said that his Fargo South grad class was 450 which is a LOT.

My brother graduated in 1980 and his class was probably bigger than mine in 1986. There have been lots of additions to South High since my time and I'm sure they were all needed before Davies was built and I wonder how empty the school feels now. I've only been in the gymnasium and new commons area since 1992 when I was a substitute teacher a few times.

Civil06
11-14-2023, 08:08 PM
Most private schools are also growing very rapidly.

daddy daycare
11-15-2023, 05:07 PM
The sophomore class was already at North this year. Minot High will be good in AAA next year, but after that I’m hoping both North and High will be in AA. The enrollment numbers will be right on the border.

IMO Minot should stay AAA. Everyone 9-12 is grandfathered, correct? They'll be fine. Give North some time to build, I would agree. Gonna be interesting to follow in Minot. For awhile there it didn't seem like Legacy starting had much of an affect on Bismarck football. CHS won some ships, etc. Last year BHS goes winless...this year LHS goes winless and CHS struggles. Should be way past those growing pains but it also seems like more and more kids are stepping away from football for whatever reason.

LefseBison
11-15-2023, 09:46 PM
My brother graduated in 1980 and his class was probably bigger than mine in 1986. There have been lots of additions to South High since my time and I'm sure they were all needed before Davies was built and I wonder how empty the school feels now. I've only been in the gymnasium and new commons area since 1992 when I was a substitute teacher a few times.

When I started FSH, it was 1967 and the building was not yet completed. We could hear crickets (literally) because we were on the edge of Fargo near empty fields. No phy.ed for the first year as the gym was not yet completed. I have not been back since graduation 53 years ago, and these days you can't just pop into a school due to security. I am sure I would not recognize the interior. Even the exterior looks vastly different.

NDSU_grad
11-16-2023, 01:43 AM
IMO Minot should stay AAA. Everyone 9-12 is grandfathered, correct? They'll be fine. Give North some time to build, I would agree. Gonna be interesting to follow in Minot. For awhile there it didn't seem like Legacy starting had much of an affect on Bismarck football. CHS won some ships, etc. Last year BHS goes winless...this year LHS goes winless and CHS struggles. Should be way past those growing pains but it also seems like more and more kids are stepping away from football for whatever reason.
For the 23-24 academic year freshmen and sophomores are at Minot North. Both High and North will be incredibly bad at football starting in the fall of ‘25. I’m afraid it will kill the football programs at both schools if they stay in AAA. They would at least have a chance to be .500 in AA. Both schools’ enrollment should be under the cutoff.

daddy daycare
11-16-2023, 11:04 AM
For the 23-24 academic year freshmen and sophomores are at Minot North. Both High and North will be incredibly bad at football starting in the fall of ‘25. I’m afraid it will kill the football programs at both schools if they stay in AAA. They would at least have a chance to be .500 in AA. Both schools’ enrollment should be under the cutoff.

Well Legacy went 0fer this year after BHS did last year. I'm not sure the state will care. Can't believe they won't let williston drop down.

IndyBison
11-16-2023, 01:03 PM
For the 23-24 academic year freshmen and sophomores are at Minot North. Both High and North will be incredibly bad at football starting in the fall of ‘25. I’m afraid it will kill the football programs at both schools if they stay in AAA. They would at least have a chance to be .500 in AA. Both schools’ enrollment should be under the cutoff.Where are they attending classes? I believe the new building is still under construction.

NDSU_grad
11-16-2023, 01:17 PM
Where are they attending classes? I believe the new building is still under construction.

Everybodyʼs still attending classes at Central and Magic City Campus. The only thing that’s separate is sports at the sub-varsity level. They’re practicing separately. The new campus will open fall ‘24. For now, girls’ hockey, boys’/girls’ wrestling, and boys’/girls’ swimming will remain one sport. I can’t remember about boys’ hockey.

NDSU_grad
11-16-2023, 01:19 PM
Well Legacy went 0fer this year after BHS did last year. I'm not sure the state will care. Can't believe they won't let williston drop down.
I think the enrollment at both schools will fall below the AAA/AA cutoff. My concern is the arrogance of the athletic program will want them to opt up.

scottietohottie
11-16-2023, 01:20 PM
Caviler is trying to opt down.

gotts
11-16-2023, 01:30 PM
Caviler is trying to opt down.

Sandbagging is a key North Dakota quality

heffray
11-16-2023, 02:31 PM
Sandbagging is a key Cavalier, ND quality

FIFY………

10char

kab1one
11-16-2023, 03:40 PM
I think the enrollment at both schools will fall below the AAA/AA cutoff. My concern is the arrogance of the athletic program will want them to opt up.

As Shanley has shown it is not the number of students in the school but the willingness to build a program and succeed at the highest level.

This fall with a senior class of 80 students and junior class slightly smaller, soccer won boys the state championship, and the football team had one of the best teams in state history (Cudo's to Minot for playing a great game in the championship. That was a prime example of leadership and composure and playing a flawless second half).

9th through 12th grade Shanley had 60 kids out for football. But maybe 20-22 played any given game. It was a commitment by school administration, coaches, parents and most importantly the kids to play at the top level. Not just to compete but to win at that level.

5 years ago in Shanley's last year of 2a, 3 kids hit the 800 pound level in the weight room. The past year, 28 exceeded this goal. 7-9 kids will have college sports opportunity from the JUCO to Division 2 level. 5 years the championship team 3 kids were recruit Playing top level provides additional opportunities.

And no shanley does not recruit. The core senior group has been together since first grade. One addition was added in 9th grade as his hometown did not have a catholic high school.

It takes time and effort to succeed. And that is what is missing in the conversation, versus "let's just move down so we can win".

NDSU_grad
11-16-2023, 04:07 PM
As Shanley has shown it is not the number of students in the school but the willingness to build a program and succeed at the highest level.

This fall with a senior class of 80 students and junior class slightly smaller, soccer won boys the state championship, and the football team had one of the best teams in state history (Cudo's to Minot for playing a great game in the championship. That was a prime example of leadership and composure and playing a flawless second half).

9th through 12th grade Shanley had 60 kids out for football. But maybe 20-22 played any given game. It was a commitment by school administration, coaches, parents and most importantly the kids to play at the top level. Not just to compete but to win at that level.

5 years ago in Shanley's last year of 2a, 3 kids hit the 800 pound level in the weight room. The past year, 28 exceeded this goal. 7-9 kids will have college sports opportunity from the JUCO to Division 2 level. 5 years the championship team 3 kids were recruit Playing top level provides additional opportunities.

And no shanley does not recruit. The core senior group has been together since first grade. One addition was added in 9th grade as his hometown did not have a catholic high school.

It takes time and effort to succeed. And that is what is missing in the conversation, versus "let's just move down so we can win".
Agree with everything in that post.

TAILG8R
11-16-2023, 04:16 PM
Everything but the claim they don't recruit. If you or any of your friends have kids in sports you know they recruit.

kab1one
11-16-2023, 04:36 PM
Everything but the claim they don't recruit. If you or any of your friends have kids in sports you know they recruit.

Absolutely incorrect. I have had kids playing varsity sports the past 9 years at Shanely and I can not think of one kid that has been "recruited" for sports to Shanley. Sure kids will talk to other kids, parents will talk to other parents "send your kid to Shanley" but it doesn't happen. My kids have been involved in football boys and girls basketball, track and cross country. If you have an example of a kid that has transferred because of recruitment, I would like to know who it is.

Parents and kids make the decision to come to Shanley or any private schools for many other reasons aside from sports. Education, structure, smaller classes, parent involvement, the village concept as parents, students and instructors get to know each other. It's part of the program.

I happen to be on a high level Shanley advisory committee which includes the JP 2 president and athletic director. The concept of "recruiting" is discussed but it is not school policy and in cases if the student wants to come to Shanley to play sports has been denied as that is not how Shanley wants to grow its enrollment.

The last two state football championship teams were home grown in which a majority of the kids attended Shanley all 12 years. Same can be said for the run of state girls basketball championship and the recent boys soccer team. These kids have schooled and competed together for years.

scottietohottie
11-16-2023, 04:49 PM
I didn't see any 800lb kids on the roster.

kab1one
11-16-2023, 04:50 PM
I didn't see any 800lb kids on the roster.

It's the combination of the lifts. Clean, squat and bench. 3 kids 5 years ago met this goal. 28 last year. we have an excellent weight and conditioning program.

scottietohottie
11-16-2023, 04:55 PM
Did Shanley get moved up because of the competition rule or did they do it on their own?

Caviler got forced up, made the 11 man playoffs and is petitioning to move back to 9 man before the 3 years are up. Guess they have dwindling numbers as the reason.

kab1one
11-16-2023, 05:04 PM
Did Shanley get moved up because of the competition rule or did they do it on their own?

Caviler got forced up, made the 11 man playoffs and is petitioning to move back to 9 man before the 3 years are up. Guess they have dwindling numbers as the reason.

Shanley 5 years played top level boys and girls bb. Played one level lower in Football. Last year in 2AA played the likes of Casselton, Wahpeton, Watford City, Jamestown. When Coach Mattern came on board he wanted the school at top level for football. He had administration support but the parents did not like the concept. Over time parents bought in. We have the lowest enrollment of any 3A school in the state, in addition to lower numbers than South, North and Red River. I would assume GF Central as well.

Based on the formula, Shanley could potentially play down 2 levels from current status, but might get "kicked up" to 2A due to on field success.

So yes, they wanted to move up.

NDSU_grad
11-16-2023, 05:07 PM
It's the combination of the lifts. Clean, squat and bench. 3 kids 5 years ago met this goal. 28 last year. we have an excellent weight and conditioning program.
A buddy of mine played college football with your S & C guy. Spoke very highly of him. You could see it on the field too.

scottietohottie
11-16-2023, 05:10 PM
Shanley 5 years played top level boys and girls bb. Played one level lower in Football. Last year in 2AA played the likes of Casselton, Wahpeton, Watford City, Jamestown. When Coach Mattern came on board he wanted the school at top level for football. He had administration support but the parents did not like the concept. Over time parents bought in. We have the lowest enrollment of any 3A school in the state, in addition to lower numbers than South, North and Red River. I would assume GF Central as well.

Based on the formula, Shanley could potentially play down 2 levels from current status, but might get "kicked up" to 2A due to on field success.

I'm guessing now with 3 semi final appearances in the last 3 years they actually can't move down would be their current status.

NDSU_grad
11-16-2023, 05:15 PM

I think a key factor is that Shanley built the program up while in AA and enjoyed a great amount of success. That’s what I’m hoping for with the Minot schools. Give them a chance to build both programs up in AA and then opt up. I’m afraid the arrogance of the administration and the good old boys club in Minot will insist on getting annihilated in AAA.

kab1one
11-16-2023, 05:25 PM
I'm guessing now with 3 semi final appearances in the last 3 years they actually can't move down would be their current status.

Interesting question and one that isn't talked about at Shanley. The last time I saw the numbers, and the enrollment gets weighted. For example a certain percentage of some schools the kids are weighted less then 1. In other cases, the kids are weighted more than 1. Even with the weighting system. Shanley is substantially smaller than South and North. Their numbers are more along Kindred and Casselton who I believe two classes lower than the current 3A. Could Shanley drop to 2a and play South, Red River, Central, Jamestown. I think the answer is yes.

Could they drop to the Class A ( I think that is the class) and play Kindred, Trinity, Casselton. I don't think so, they would get bumped up at least 1 level.

T-Funk
11-16-2023, 05:46 PM
Absolutely incorrect. I have had kids playing varsity sports the past 9 years at Shanely and I can not think of one kid that has been "recruited" for sports to Shanley. Sure kids will talk to other kids, parents will talk to other parents "send your kid to Shanley" but it doesn't happen. My kids have been involved in football boys and girls basketball, track and cross country. If you have an example of a kid that has transferred because of recruitment, I would like to know who it is.

Parents and kids make the decision to come to Shanley or any private schools for many other reasons aside from sports. Education, structure, smaller classes, parent involvement, the village concept as parents, students and instructors get to know each other. It's part of the program.

I happen to be on a high level Shanley advisory committee which includes the JP 2 president and athletic director. The concept of "recruiting" is discussed but it is not school policy and in cases if the student wants to come to Shanley to play sports has been denied as that is not how Shanley wants to grow its enrollment.

The last two state football championship teams were home grown in which a majority of the kids attended Shanley all 12 years. Same can be said for the run of state girls basketball championship and the recent boys soccer team. These kids have schooled and competed together for years.

Bullshit. You must not be connected to the hockey program very well.

ByeSonBusiness
11-16-2023, 05:58 PM

If Shanley only has 80 kids per class then they are around half the size of Jamestown.

TAILG8R
11-16-2023, 06:39 PM

Anyone on the inside at Shanely will go to their grave swearing they don't recruit. Anyone not involved with Shanley will tell you they have seen it happen many times.

kab1one
11-16-2023, 08:45 PM

I am not connected to the hockey program as my kids played basketball but asked around. First off, Shanley doesn't have a hockey program but co-op with Fargo South and Oak Grove. So really apples to oranges in regards to who is in control (Coach is from South and its Called South Shanley) 5 kids on state championship team. not from Fargo at some point. Moorhead, Grafton, Devils Lake, Mayville and Breckenridge. Grafton and Mayville in essence don't have a hockey program, can probably can say the same about Devils Lake.

3 attended Shanley and paid full tuition, no scholarships. This seems to be a huge financial commitment to be recruited. In one case the family moved into Fargo kids freshman year. One kid commuted from a city that did not have a catholic high school. Another kid was local (Moorhead).

If these three wanted a free ride to play hockey at or with Shanley kids they could have attended Fargo South for free. Parents choose to invest in the Shanley education. Two of the five kids went to Oak Grove. No idea what their situation is.

Hockey is different as well, you can look up and down the valley and most schools have kids that have switched schools to play the sport. You don't see it in Football and basketball. As I noted, of the 20 to 22 seniors on this years team. all but one went to JP 2 system in grade school. So if we are recruiting, we start young.

kab1one
11-16-2023, 08:48 PM
I think a key factor is that Shanley built the program up while in AA and enjoyed a great amount of success. That’s what I’m hoping for with the Minot schools. Give them a chance to build both programs up in AA and then opt up. I’m afraid the arrogance of the administration and the good old boys club in Minot will insist on getting annihilated in AAA.

I'm a Minot High School grad and they will have a tenacity to mock it up pretty good historically.

NDSU_grad
11-16-2023, 09:32 PM
I'm a Minot High School grad and they will have a tenacity to mock it up pretty good historically.
My only hope is that since basketball drives the bus here not enough people will care about football and it will get left alone.