PDA

View Full Version : Pick the next coach.

Kevin
11-04-2023, 10:16 PM
I'm sure Stoney Brook will do a national search at this point (which he totally won't fuck up don't worry)

But let's talk ideals. Who would you hire and why?

I would hire Pelini for the lulz.

Jay
11-04-2023, 10:18 PM
First, I don’t want Larson having that responsibility.

Kevin
11-04-2023, 10:18 PM
First, I don’t want Larson having that responsibility.

he'll find us someone with an expertise in east coast poll bias or if we're real lucky..... southern speed

WestCoastBison
11-04-2023, 10:19 PM
I don’t know who is available. But I wouldn’t mind digging up Buddy Ryan

No_Skill
11-04-2023, 10:20 PM
My money is on 2 more years of Entz. We don't have the balls to fire him. Change my mind.

WestCoastBison
11-04-2023, 10:20 PM
I don’t know who is available. But I wouldn’t mind digging up Buddy Ryan

Just to get his playbook. Although Ryans inanimate corpse would be an improvement over Entz

ndsubison1
11-04-2023, 10:22 PM
Waste of time. We're not firing him

KSBisonFan
11-04-2023, 10:22 PM
The "Chuck the pigskin" guy because he doesn't care about defense and neither does NDSU anymore.

HerdBot
11-04-2023, 10:24 PM
Polasek, Jamar Cain, Glenn Caruso, Scott Fuchs.

Unfortunately Cain makes 800k so probably cant afford

BigHorns
11-04-2023, 10:26 PM

If true, may as well shut down the program. We are in a slow death spiral now.

Kevin
11-04-2023, 10:27 PM
The culture does not survive if Entz plays out his contract.

It would take us 20 years to turn the ship around again.

Most of you will be dead by then.

WestCoastBison
11-04-2023, 10:28 PM

Than that just indicates that changes need to be made at a higher level

BigLakeBison
11-04-2023, 10:29 PM
Dave Richman is on ML’s short list.

WestCoastBison
11-04-2023, 10:30 PM
If I coached NDSU to a 6-3 start with a loss to UND I would resign in shame and than walk into oncoming traffic

EP NDSU Fan
11-04-2023, 10:38 PM
Long shot but a ND son, Todd Hoffner. Winning history and that says a lot because MSU was a ultra doormat before he showed up.

land grant bison
11-04-2023, 10:38 PM

This was good. I LOL’d

BigHorns
11-04-2023, 10:50 PM
Somebody tossed out SD's Nielsen on another thread.

Not 100% sold, but at this point, what do we have to lose?
May need to gamble on someone with potential to right the ship.

tony
11-04-2023, 10:53 PM
A. They're not going to fire him.
B. They should just draw a name out of a hat from the people who want him fired.

MyOhMy
11-04-2023, 10:53 PM
Just to get his playbook. Although Ryans inanimate corpse would be an improvement over Entz

His post game interviews would sound about the same.

TAILG8R
11-04-2023, 11:00 PM
One big problem is that coordinators and even some position coaches make too much at the FBS level to come down to FCS.

So who do we steal from SDSU? I hate Eck as much as the next guy but does he really want to be at Idaho??

I mean we turned a UNI dude in Kleiman into a NDSU guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin
11-04-2023, 11:01 PM
B. They should just draw a name out of a hat from the people who want him fired.

Is Tony’s name in that hat bro

TAILG8R
11-04-2023, 11:02 PM

Can’t get much worse. :)

KSBisonFan
11-04-2023, 11:02 PM
One big problem is that coordinators and even some position coaches make too much at the FBS level to come down to FCS.

So who do we steal from SDSU? I hate Eck as much as the next guy but does he really want to be at Idaho??

I mean we turned a UNI dude in Kleiman into a NDSU guy.

I think Eck's name will be mentioned for some FBS coach or coordinator jobs soon.

BigLakeBison
11-04-2023, 11:03 PM

A. They can get away with that approach for basketball. Not sure they can with football.
B. Just because I can’t coach football as well as Entz doesn’t mean I shouldn’t criticize. He knew what he signed up for and he is not meeting expectations.

Bisonwinagn
11-04-2023, 11:03 PM
I would take Vigen so we can increase the QB runs!!

BigHorns
11-04-2023, 11:05 PM
I would take Vigen so we can increase the QB runs!!

Vigen would be a good choice, if available.

Hammerhead
11-04-2023, 11:08 PM
Josh McDaniels.

blackdiamond2
11-04-2023, 11:25 PM
Tony Annese - Ferris State Head coach.
John Steigmeyer - kinda joking but kinda serious.

heffray
11-04-2023, 11:28 PM
A. They can get away with that approach for basketball. Not sure they can with football.
B. Just because I can’t coach football as well as Entz doesn’t mean I shouldn’t criticize. He knew what he signed up for and he is not meeting expectations.

I sick of people doing B. Fucking lazy argument.

Sun Bison
11-04-2023, 11:33 PM
I think Nebraska is a good cautionary tale. Fired a coach who averaged 8-9 wins a season there and now look at them. This current staff just doesn't seem to be able to recruit AND develop talent like Bohl's and Kleiman's staffs did. On the other hand, the rules for recruiting and keeping players for development have changed a lot since then. I don't think this staff is championship caliber when it comes to coaching, but I wouldn't make a knee-jerk reaction without a plan in place.

BigLakeBison
11-04-2023, 11:34 PM
I sick of people doing B. Fucking lazy argument.

Completely agree. The bar for competent coaching is not to be better than the fans. It’s to be better than the competition.

BigLakeBison
11-04-2023, 11:38 PM
I think Nebraska is a good cautionary tale. Fired a coach who averaged 8-9 wins a season there and now look at them. This current staff just doesn't seem to be able to recruit AND develop talent like Bohl's and Kleiman's staffs did. On the other hand, the rules for recruiting and keeping players for development have changed a lot since then. I don't think this staff is championship caliber when it comes to coaching, but I wouldn't make a knee-jerk reaction without a plan in place.

I guess I admire Nebraska for not settling. Has it brought them a championship? Nope. Neither did the coach winning 8-9 games a year. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

123Gobison
11-04-2023, 11:52 PM
How will firing Entz solve anything. Entz is not calling plays on the sidelines, it is our "OC". So what good does it do ? How will firing Entz change anything ? Why not fire Tyler Roehl and Grant Olson ?

HerdBot
11-05-2023, 12:05 AM

Firing a head coach is ok if you keep systems in place

Bohl took 80% of the staff and Klieman was better. Klieman took 80% of the staff and we were good in 19 and 21 with Entz. You keep the system in place

Then again look how Bohl turned around a 2 win team?

scottietohottie
11-05-2023, 12:06 AM
How will firing Entz solve anything. Entz is not calling plays on the sidelines, it is our "OC". So what good does it do ? How will firing Entz change anything ? Why not fire Tyler Roehl and Grant Olson ?

Because maybe just maybe if we had a head coach who could think the rest of the shit would fall in place eh

BigHorns
11-05-2023, 12:10 AM

Replacing Tyler won't fix our craptastic D.
Time for a fresh start, but short of that, Petrino must go.
And if Entz can't fix the D next year, he needs to go too.

If all the coaches return next year, we know they simply don't care to fix it.

CalBison97

Head coach responsible for: Leadership, recruiting, culture, personal foul penalties, clock management, scouting, overall game plan… just a few of the many areas. Starts at the top.

ndsubison1
Somebody tossed out SD's Nielsen on another thread.

Not 100% sold, but at this point, what do we have to lose?
May need to gamble on someone with potential to right the ship.

That would be an awful hire

BigHorns
11-05-2023, 12:13 AM
That would be an awful hire

Certainly not my top choice, like I pointed out he went 3-8 recently.
The counter argument is he is doing a lot with very little resources this year.

mtoutfitter
11-05-2023, 12:24 AM
Lance Kalfell used to coach our 6 man football team here in Terry and I know he's now available.

Bison03
11-05-2023, 12:26 AM
We should find a new coach that has something like a 55-10 record, with a few title game appearances and maybe even a couple national championships.

BigHorns
11-05-2023, 12:28 AM
We should find a new coach that has something like a 55-10 record, with a few title game appearances and maybe even a couple national championships.

How about one that hasn't lost to SDSU 5 times in a row?

Kevin
11-05-2023, 12:30 AM

How about one who recruited all the players he won with too.

TAILG8R
11-05-2023, 12:39 AM
How about one that hasn't lost to SDSU 5 times in a row?

Or one that hasn’t shot all over the culture of a program.

tony
11-05-2023, 12:40 AM
Replacing Tyler won't fix our craptastic D.
Time for a fresh start, but short of that, Petrino must go.
And if Entz can't fix the D next year, he needs to go too.

If all the coaches return next year, we know they simply don't care to fix it.

Petrino is in his first season, and he inherited a team that lost 6 of the 7 top tacklers (4 of those guys were DBs which is terrible in of itself - and Kaczor was a safety playing linebacker, valiantly) so I think Petrino deserves a little more time to rebuild.

Yes, the defense is not good, but, in some ways, they are trending in the right direction (imo) even though giving up scoring drives on every single drive today until the winning points +11 were scored is not a good look.

Last year's tackle leaders:

James Kaczor 14-14 54 50 104
Michael Tutsie 15-15 48 37 85
Nick Kubitz 15-10 31 37 68
Destin Talbert 15-15 41 18 59
Dawson Weber 15-15 38 18 56
C. Eubanks 15-15 38 17 55
Spencer Waege 15-15 24 27 51

TAILG8R
11-05-2023, 12:53 AM
I think Petrino needs another year at least to be evaluated.

heffray
11-05-2023, 12:58 AM

Shhhh… quiet little one. The grown ups are talking…

BigLakeBison
11-05-2023, 01:00 AM
Petrino is in his first season, and he inherited a team that lost 6 of the 7 top tacklers (4 of those guys were DBs which is terrible in of itself - and Kaczor was a safety playing linebacker, valiantly) so I think Petrino deserves a little more time to rebuild.

Yes, the defense is not good, but, in some ways, they are trending in the right direction (imo) even though giving up scoring drives on every single drive today until the winning points +11 were scored is not a good look.

Last year's tackle leaders:

James Kaczor 14-14 54 50 104
Michael Tutsie 15-15 48 37 85
Nick Kubitz 15-10 31 37 68
Destin Talbert 15-15 41 18 59
Dawson Weber 15-15 38 18 56
C. Eubanks 15-15 38 17 55
Spencer Waege 15-15 24 27 51

I was led to believe that NDSU was built on the next man up mentality. This sounds like the complete opposite of that.

THEsocalledfan
11-05-2023, 01:01 AM
Am I the only one who wants:

Heffray for OC. (Expert points shaver)
Scottie as DC (he will keep Tastad committed and run the north prairie system)

Head coach? Clearly Kevin.....

heffray
11-05-2023, 01:06 AM

Apparently my name is already in tony’s hat…

Kevin
11-05-2023, 01:08 AM

I’m not the hero you need but clearly the one you all deserve.

scottietohottie
11-05-2023, 01:22 AM
I’m not the hero you need but clearly the one you all deserve.

Who's going to watch the barn bro?

HerdBot
11-05-2023, 01:43 AM
Tony Annese - Ferris State Head coach.
John Steigmeyer - kinda joking but kinda serious.

Ferris State head coach is GOOD!

heffray
11-05-2023, 01:25 AM

I was going to suggest this. I’d rather have a lower division guy on the way up than another coordinator from another school. Try something new.

CAS4127
11-05-2023, 01:39 AM

That’s on Entz. Why is he allowing Roehl to run this type of ridiculous O, and not stepping up and helping improve our defensive woes? The poor tacking has been going on for 2-plus seasons now. And not only are we not tackling well (mostly 6 of the 7 d-backfield), we continue to take very poor angles and not even getting to ball carrier to have a chance to tackle. All of those are within Entz’s control to improve on/change/assist. Heck, Bobby Knight used to show players how to make proper screens.

Bisonwinagn
11-05-2023, 02:01 AM
The biggest problem is the team has around 25 seniors playing this year. What happens if they all leave?? The recruiting has been terrible and there is nothing left after this year. Unless they go total Deon and add 30 transfers next season will be much worse. That's entirely on the head coach.

56BISON73
11-05-2023, 02:08 AM

You cant be this stupid. Oh wait-----

bison22
11-05-2023, 02:24 AM
You guys aren't thinking big enough. Colorado got Deion Sanders.

We should try for Dwayne "the rock" Johnson. He has 391 million followers on insta to get players and NIL money, used to play football, probably unlimited supply of steroids, he's winding down his career, could make a bunch of Fast and Furious movies in Fargo, change the song from thunderstruck to bells about to "rock" for a much needed change for GameDay atmosphere we can even shoot that midget Lakes out of a cannon (1 time i suppose), rename dakota marker to "the rock" or maybe name our new 60k stadium "the rock", marketing videos and production would probably get back to 2018 2019 type quality.

Josh Duhamel - DC
Carson Wentz - OC/fundraiser guy/team priest
Doug Burgam - AD
Phil Jackson - qb whisperer
Matt Entz - Voice of the Bison

scottietohottie
11-05-2023, 02:28 AM
Bring back Hank Jacobs eh

Gully
11-05-2023, 02:34 AM
Why does Matt Larson get a pass? Which sports at NDSU are better than when he arrived? Womens BB. That's it. Several are worse.

El_Chapo
11-05-2023, 02:37 AM

culture and not having any set plays. Brilliant!! can't wait to see him lose to #308 ranked team and dead last MAC team Western Michigan Monday

El_Chapo
11-05-2023, 02:39 AM
I think Eck's name will be mentioned for some FBS coach or coordinator jobs soon.

that fat fuck is gonna have a heart attack. u see him last week on tv? him and Zach borg the south dakota shrimp each weigh about 300lbs

tony
11-05-2023, 02:43 AM
I was led to believe that NDSU was built on the next man up mentality. This sounds like the complete opposite of that.

Well, my point was that I thought that with losing almost all the leading tacklers from what I considered a weak defense, it's quite a tall order to expect a new DC turn that around in less than a season.

Funny enough, it's the offensive side of the ball that took the biggest hit and guys did step up. There are, what, 8 NFL guys gone from the offense since 2020 and multiple transfer portal departures? Guys stepped up on that side of the ball - but the difference is that, even though I didn't want to complain about it and was hoping I was wrong, our recruiting on the defensive side of the ball has been subpar for years - and you can hardly blame that on a guy who wasn't doing the recruiting - he was doing the recruiting for a team that held SDSU and USD to a combined 31 points this year.

HerdThat!
11-05-2023, 03:32 AM
1) steig
2) pileni
3) gus
4) basically anybody who understands ndsu football better than Entz

Kevin
11-05-2023, 03:34 AM
Would Gus do it?

Someone please say yes.

HerdBot
11-05-2023, 03:43 AM
The biggest problem is the team has around 25 seniors playing this year. What happens if they all leave?? The recruiting has been terrible and there is nothing left after this year. Unless they go total Deon and add 30 transfers next season will be much worse. That's entirely on the head coach.

Next year SDSU is losing 10 - 6th year starters. We have a bunch but were not going to lose them all. I'm more worried about losing young studs behind them than a player like Sam Jung, Julian Wlodarczyk or Jake Kava. They are preventing guys like Darius Givance, Crumby, Toby Anene, Kelton McCaslin, and Jaiden Pickett from developing and seeing the field. Entz doesnt have the balls like Bohl did to make changes and insert young players in the lineup

We have a ton of seniors but not all are impact players.

I would want all 5 o-lineman, Joe Stoffel, RaJa Nelson and TK. Cam of course

On defense I would pick Cole Wisniewski, Dylan Hendricks, Will & Eli, and Javier Derritt.

The rest are depth players and not impact

I may have missed a few

And maybe we need to dip into the portal? Guys like Brayden Thomas started making an impact late in his 1st year and was a stud senior

yopaulie
11-05-2023, 03:47 AM
Would Gus do it?

Someone please say yes.

NFL Defensive Coordinators make $1-2 Million / Year. Matt Entz makes $369k. I think that's your answer.

Kevin
11-05-2023, 03:50 AM
NFL Defensive Coordinators make $1-2 Million / Year. Matt Entz makes $369k. I think that's your answer.

George Washington once said that very few men had the honor to withstand the highest bidder.

yopaulie
11-05-2023, 03:53 AM
Seems like FBS Coordinator salaries, including G5 salaries, have increased more than FCS head coaching salaries. I think this would hamper our ability to draw candidates we would have previously looked at.

Tim Polasek makes $350k at Wyoming - almost identical to Entz
Jamar Cain $800k
Scottie Hazelton, my dream coach, over $1mil at Michigan State.

Entz - $369k (from what I've read)

Makes me think we would realistically need to pull from within FCS.

HerdBot
11-05-2023, 04:04 AM
Seems like FBS Coordinator salaries, including G5 salaries, have increased more than FCS head coaching salaries. I think this would hamper our ability to draw candidates we would have previously looked at.

Tim Polasek makes $350k at Wyoming - almost identical to Entz
Jamar Cain $800k
Scottie Hazelton, my dream coach, over $1mil at Michigan State.

Entz - $369k (from what I've read)

Makes me think we would realistically need to pull from within FCS.

Youth movement. Jimmy Rogers is 34 and both his coordinators are under 30. Older isnt always better

Even Scott Fuchs makes 435k

yopaulie
11-05-2023, 05:30 AM
Youth movement. Jimmy Rogers is 34 and both his coordinators are under 30. Older isnt always better

Even Scott Fuchs makes 435k

Jimmy's history with the Rabbits looks very similar to Grant Olson's, except he was promoted from Linebackers coach to Defensive Coordinator, before becoming head coach. I think we have currently soured on former players because of Roehl, but maybe Grant Olson, anyone?

Just maybe skip directing special teams...

BigHorns
11-05-2023, 06:04 AM
Just find the best damn FCS coach out there (Vigen?) and make them an offer they can't refuse.

BigLakeBison
11-05-2023, 09:25 AM
Well, my point was that I thought that with losing almost all the leading tacklers from what I considered a weak defense, it's quite a tall order to expect a new DC turn that around in less than a season.

Funny enough, it's the offensive side of the ball that took the biggest hit and guys did step up. There are, what, 8 NFL guys gone from the offense since 2020 and multiple transfer portal departures? Guys stepped up on that side of the ball - but the difference is that, even though I didn't want to complain about it and was hoping I was wrong, our recruiting on the defensive side of the ball has been subpar for years - and you can hardly blame that on a guy who wasn't doing the recruiting - he was doing the recruiting for a team that held SDSU and USD to a combined 31 points this year.

Fair points. Reality is he hitched his wagon to a staff that is floundering and his timeline to make corrections is going to be very short.

heffray
11-05-2023, 12:14 PM
George Washington once said that very few men had the honor to withstand the highest bidder.

Yeah I heard he chopped down that cherry tree and could throw a ball over them mountains too.

heffray
11-05-2023, 12:15 PM

…and Roehl’s been OC since 2019. No excuse.

ndsubison1
11-05-2023, 12:25 PM
1 The defense sucks
2 Special teams sucks
3 Offense has gotten away from Bison football
4 Recruiting down/no studs anywhere
5 Refuses to work on 2 min drill/late clock situations. Entz has had several opportunities to work on this in game last few years but refuses. Then gets butthurt when a reporter asks about it
6 0-3 vs Dakota schools this season
7 Dont see the in-game adjustments anymore
8 Dont see the offensive line wearing teams down anymore
9 We could have a lot of guys back for the extra year. We'll see how he handles it, but Im sure he'll fuck it up.

BigHorns
11-05-2023, 12:57 PM
Fair points. Reality is he hitched his wagon to a staff that is floundering and his timeline to make corrections is going to be very short.

We can only hope.

If no changes this offseason, we're hosed next year too.

BigLakeBison
11-05-2023, 01:52 PM
We can only hope.

If no changes this offseason, we're hosed next year too.

That’s my question to those advocating for a more measured approach? What’s the line where it’s no longer acceptable? This season has already crossed my line but for others is it another year like this year? Does it have to completely bottom out at below .500 and no playoffs? Given the track record the AD has already shown, I fear consistent 7-4 seasons keeps Entz here. I think it’s why so many are pushing so hard for changes because becoming UND or USD does not sound appealing at all.

mtoutfitter
11-05-2023, 02:01 PM
Jimmy's history with the Rabbits looks very similar to Grant Olson's, except he was promoted from Linebackers coach to Defensive Coordinator, before becoming head coach. I think we have currently soured on former players because of Roehl, but maybe Grant Olson, anyone?

Just maybe skip directing special teams...

From what a parent has told me....not a good idea, as far as DC.

AKBison
11-05-2023, 02:10 PM

I don't know man, Heffray's w/l record as the official game day thread guy hasn't exactly been stellar.

heffray
11-05-2023, 02:17 PM
I don't know man, Heffray's w/l record as the official game day thread guy hasn't exactly been stellar.

He makes a really good point.

NDSU_grad
11-05-2023, 02:17 PM
That’s my question to those advocating for a more measured approach? What’s the line where it’s no longer acceptable? This season has already crossed my line but for others is it another year like this year? Does it have to completely bottom out at below .500 and no playoffs? Given the track record the AD has already shown, I fear consistent 7-4 seasons keeps Entz here. I think it’s why so many are pushing so hard for changes because becoming UND or USD does not sound appealing at all.
I don’t think a lot of people want to take a more measured approach, it’s just the reality of the situation. It’s about 1.4 million or so to buy out Entz’ contract. Those who advocate for him to be gone better step up with real money to make it happen.

BigHorns
11-05-2023, 02:25 PM
I don’t think a lot of people want to take a more measured approach, it’s just the reality of the situation. It’s about 1.4 million or so to buy out Entz’ contract. Those who advocate for him to be gone better step up with real money to make it happen.

Get 10,000 people to step up, and that's like $200 each, with 600k towards a new coach.

Somebody needs to start a buyout fund. Screw NIL, that's where my donation would go.

steelbison
11-05-2023, 02:34 PM
Get 10,000 people to step up, and that's like $200 each, with 600k towards a new coach.

Somebody needs to start a buyout fund. Screw NIL, that's where my donation would go.

I’m in for 500. The sooner we get rid of Entz the better. Reality is our AD won’t do shit unfortunately.

BigLakeBison
11-05-2023, 02:42 PM

That’s a large amount on its face but the ticket sales and donations drop might exceed that over the next few years. I guess some of my angst comes from my lack of trust in the person making that decision.

El_Chapo
11-05-2023, 02:50 PM
Jerry Rosburg is chilling on his couch right now he's 67.. but f it. give him 3 years.

Glenn Caruso is a NDSU guy that you can get on the cheap for 3 years too.

oh if attendence is 14k, 15k that's 3000 x $45 = $135k PER GAME WE ARE LOSING on the low end, not to mention advertising/ sponsorships/ donations down.

Buying out $1.2 million contract might be the smart play to be honest.

THEsocalledfan
11-05-2023, 03:36 PM
He makes a really good point.

Heff, think about how much many we could make with you as OC? We'd simply bet against NDSU every week, and you make sure of crappy play calling, and we are billionaires! It is foolproof since no one will know the difference....

SlickVic
11-05-2023, 03:44 PM
this team can still make a run entz just needs to get out of his own way that being said in this day and age would it even be possible to hire a guy like bohl anymore?

BigHorns
11-05-2023, 03:54 PM
this team can still make a run entz just needs to get out of his own way that being said in this day and age would it even be possible to hire a guy like bohl anymore?

Depends ... Bohl himself, no. A guy like Vigen, maybe. But we'd have to ante up and pay more than other FCS teams.

Probably won't be able to hire any FBS coaches. Even the assistants make more, and have huge upward mobility.
We should be able to have our pick of anyone in FCS for the right price.

THEsocalledfan
11-05-2023, 04:00 PM
Depends ... Bohl himself, no. A guy like Vigen, maybe. But we'd have to ante up and pay more than other FCS teams.

Probably won't be able to hire any FBS coaches. Even the assistants make more, and have huge upward mobility.
We should be able to have our pick of anyone in FCS for the right price.

Nothing wrong at looking at an up and coming D2 coach, as well.

BigHorns
11-05-2023, 04:05 PM

Agreed. JMoo's coach came from IUP I believe.
IWU's last coach seems to be doing well at Texas St this year.

Look at guys making deep playoff runs, especially those whose schools have no business doing so.
Also look at dominant D2 teams.

SlickVic
11-05-2023, 04:06 PM

what about kevin feeney? i feel like bohl was in maybe more hot water then this back in the day and he double down on meathead football and the rest as they say is history-----entz seems 2 be going the exact opposite way in that hes just flailing away trying to reinvent the wheel which isnt working and never has

HerdBot
11-05-2023, 04:18 PM

I was going to suggest this. I’d rather have a lower division guy on the way up than another coordinator from another school. Try something new.

National Championships at the JUCO and D2 level. He cares about running the football and playing defense. He also coaches and recruits in Michigan, so colder midwest climate wouldnt be a big deal.

Was a 2nd year D2 coach when Ferris played us in 2013

garbageman
11-05-2023, 08:13 PM
what about kevin feeney? i feel like bohl was in maybe more hot water then this back in the day and he double down on meathead football and the rest as they say is history-----entz seems 2 be going the exact opposite way in that hes just flailing away trying to reinvent the wheel which isnt working and never has

Fuck that he encourages all his players to go to und

CAS4127
11-05-2023, 09:13 PM
I’d like someone to ask Entz straight why they have completely changed our offensive scheme, one that has zero identity. Any reporter have the balls to do that or maybe a fan call into Entz’s Monday night show??

KSBisonFan
11-05-2023, 09:19 PM
I’d like someone to ask Entz straight why they have completely changed our offensive scheme, one that has zero identity. Any reporter have the balls to do that or maybe a fan call into Entz’s Monday night show??

He'll just blame Crosa.

steelbison
11-05-2023, 09:27 PM

You know the media won’t ask a tough question.

heffray
11-05-2023, 10:01 PM
Heff, think about how much many we could make with you as OC? We'd simply bet against NDSU every week, and you make sure of crappy play calling, and we are billionaires! It is foolproof since no one will know the difference....

Ha. And there’s no way we’d get caught.

BigHorns
11-06-2023, 12:01 AM
National Championships at the JUCO and D2 level. He cares about running the football and playing defense. He also coaches and recruits in Michigan, so colder midwest climate wouldnt be a big deal.

Was a 2nd year D2 coach when Ferris played us in 2013

I could get on board with Tony Annese

Won the D2 title last year in dominant fashion. Was leading Montana this year at halftime, and lost 17-10.
Impressive.

El_Chapo
11-06-2023, 12:32 AM
this is NDSU. when Klieman left THIS SHOULD OF BEEN A NATIONAL SEARCH.

even now NDSU with a national search could bring in some BIG TIME RESUMES.

BigHorns
11-06-2023, 12:37 AM

Name names. We aren't landing any nfl or fbs guys, unless they're washed up.

HerdBot
11-06-2023, 12:40 AM

At the time Entz was an obvious choice for continuity. 5 years later our entire identity is gone and we are now a soft team that doesnt play defense and runs a trendy offense. Fire him. Experiment is over

El_Chapo
11-06-2023, 02:28 AM
Name names. We aren't landing any nfl or fbs guys, unless they're washed up.

https://thefootballusa.com/available-football-coaches

BigHorns
11-06-2023, 02:32 AM
https://thefootballusa.com/available-football-coaches

LOL, none of those guys are coming for $300-400k.

BISONBRI53
11-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Polasek, Jamar Cain, Glenn Caruso, Scott Fuchs.

Unfortunately Cain makes 800k so probably cant afford

This guy was the first version of TR! IDIOTS!!!! Like they just head butted each other and yelled POWER!!!!

BISONBRI53
11-06-2023, 02:07 PM
Here is the ticket... Hire Coach Bradley back... DC for the Colts... Come back to Fargo... ride off in to the sunset... Get the program back... Hire the Coach from across the river our old QB... Learn under Gus... BOOM! Back at it and a bunch of true NDSU guys got er done.

El_Chapo
11-06-2023, 03:32 PM
Gus was on TV multiple times yesterday as he was on the hot seat for giving up 37 38 and 39 points, but they showed up yesterday.

Casey GUS Bradley would be an awesome hire, his boy is a redshirt for basketball team.

Give him 4 years at $500k/year... double if we go FBS and then after 4 years he can have a cushy randy hedberg job until he is 77.

BisManBison
11-06-2023, 06:40 PM
Gus was on TV multiple times yesterday as he was on the hot seat for giving up 37 38 and 39 points, but they showed up yesterday.

Casey GUS Bradley would be an awesome hire, his boy is a redshirt for basketball team.

Give him 4 years at $500k/year... double if we go FBS and then after 4 years he can have a cushy randy hedberg job until he is 77.

A Mr. Hedberg on line 2 for Lakes lol....

mtoutfitter
11-06-2023, 06:51 PM
A Mr. Hedberg on line 2 for Lakes lol....

Randy Hedberg takes shits bigger than Lakes.

BISONBRI53
11-06-2023, 07:02 PM
Randy Hedberg takes shits bigger than Lakes.

That's not really saying much...

El_Chapo
11-06-2023, 07:09 PM
That's not really saying much...

most overrated coach in ndsu history.

Wentz/Stick/Lance any coach couldve done that.
since 2019 QBU has been average at best.

TAILG8R
11-06-2023, 08:14 PM
most overrated coach in ndsu history.

Wentz/Stick/Lance any coach couldve done that.
since 2019 QBU has been average at best.

Hyperbole does you no favors. It makes any almost legitimate post you have complete shit instantly.

SDbison
11-07-2023, 12:36 AM
Anybody but those on the current staff that have screwed up everything.

Honeybooboo
11-07-2023, 01:10 AM

Or you just do it?? Lol asking media or other people to call in when you can do exactly that?

04 Badger
11-08-2023, 08:38 PM
Great Point!!

BigHorns
12-10-2023, 11:08 PM

National search starting now, lets see what turns up.

KC_Hats
12-10-2023, 11:42 PM
The story in the Forum doesn't say national search it says search.

National search starting now, lets see what turns up.

Bison4peat
12-10-2023, 11:45 PM
The story in the Forum doesn't say national search it says search.

I nominate anybody.

blackdiamond2
12-11-2023, 12:27 AM
it took JMU about 10 days to hire a new coach from the outside.

bisontwice
12-11-2023, 12:54 AM
When you are losing you outside the program. When winning you look inside the program to keep what is working

td577
12-11-2023, 01:11 AM
I know Roehl isn't popular among a lot of you here, but he wouldn't be the worst choice. Very good to great recruiter. I understand he is a great motivator. Understands the culture.

This is a stepping stone program. TR fits that bill very well. He does well, he moves on. He doesn't do well, he moves on and the next hungry coach takes over.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

EndZoneQB
12-11-2023, 01:15 AM
I think we need more than a motivator. We need someone that is able to help navigate NIL/transfer portal. I'm not saying that's not Roehl, but that should be top of mind. Someone that can potentially think outside the box, it's going to be harder to keep a team together going forward.

ndsubison1
12-11-2023, 01:24 AM
Id be fine with Roehl but he'd have a lot to prove and on his shoulders. I dont think he is a must keep like Klieman and Entz were at the time. It really comes down to what coaches are interested in the job.

KC_Hats
12-11-2023, 01:38 AM
NDSU has to follow ND law and rules for hiring at State institutions. Internal hires don't have to wait.

it took JMU about 10 days to hire a new coach from the outside.

td577
12-11-2023, 01:56 AM
I think we need more than a motivator. We need someone that is able to help navigate NIL/transfer portal. I'm not saying that's not Roehl, but that should be top of mind. Someone that can potentially think outside the box, it's going to be harder to keep a team together going forward.How much can a head coach say about nil? That is an external issue. Transfer portal is an extension of recruiting. Roehl probably is in as good as spot about those issues and NDSU as anyone.

I think a great candidate would be someone like the ferris state coach or someone like that. On the rise and ready for the next step. I guess the question becomes is Roehl that guy from within and we don't want to see that because we have seen his failures too?

56BISON73
12-11-2023, 01:59 AM
I think we need more than a motivator. We need someone that is able to help navigate NIL/transfer portal. I'm not saying that's not Roehl, but that should be top of mind. Someone that can potentially think outside the box, it's going to be harder to keep a team together going forward.

That should be a new staff position. Kind of like a GM who manages the draft picks and salaries.

BigHorns
12-11-2023, 02:03 AM
NDSU has to follow ND law and rules for hiring at State institutions. Internal hires don't have to wait.

Would think its the same at most public/state schools. Is ND any tougher than others?

How long do you think an internal vs external hire would take?

BigHorns
12-11-2023, 02:06 AM

Thats really true at all schools and all levels now.

Think you just have to accept that some will go elsewhere, and look to reload each year. Next man up gets accelerated.

EndZoneQB
12-11-2023, 02:31 AM
Id be fine with Roehl but he'd have a lot to prove and on his shoulders. I dont think he is a must keep like Klieman and Entz were at the time. It really comes down to what coaches are interested in the job.

Can you give him a "prove it" contract? I'm not too versed on how contracts like that work, but it feels like this would be a good place for it, if possible. Publicly announce a 5 year deal, but really it's only 1 year.

td577
12-11-2023, 02:32 AM
Can you give him a "prove it" contract? I'm not too versed on how contracts like that work, but it feels like this would be a good place for it, if possible. Publicly announce a 5 year deal, but really it's only 1 year.You make it so the buy out isn't very much.

NDSU92
12-11-2023, 02:35 AM
Can you give him a "prove it" contract? I'm not too versed on how contracts like that work, but it feels like this would be a good place for it, if possible. Publicly announce a 5 year deal, but really it's only 1 year.

Problem comes in recruiting (and now retention of) players. Other schools are quick to jump on rumors of a coach being on a short leash.

That said we pick our guy and we roll with it.

TAILG8R
12-11-2023, 02:56 AM
You make it so the buy out isn't very much.

This is the right answer and given Roehl's experience I would guess you could force a relatively low buyout on his first contract. If it is Roehl I hope the contract makes sense and it's not a sweetheart deal from ML.

EndZoneQB
12-11-2023, 03:04 AM
You make it so the buy out isn't very much.

Can you do that with a public university contract? I thought Entz's deal meant we had to pay him for 5 years or whatever + buyout.

Problem comes in recruiting (and now retention of) players. Other schools are quick to jump on rumors of a coach being on a short leash.

That said we pick our guy and we roll with it.

A good recruiter can spin that pretty easily, especially from the top program in the division. Negative recruiting is generally not super well received. Not worried.

WestCoastBison
12-11-2023, 05:23 AM
We want “prime time”. The gig he was waiting for haha

MyOhMy
12-11-2023, 07:03 AM
When you are losing you outside the program. When winning you look inside the program to keep what is working

So outside the program it is, thanks for the confirmation. :howdy:

HerdBot
12-11-2023, 07:24 AM
We want to keep continuity and systems in place but do a national search. Only take a coach who will keep the systems and terminology in place

Someone like Caruso could be a good outside hire. Tim Polasek would be a good outside hire too
but promoting internally I like...

Tyler Roehl. He knows what Bison football is, even though he drives me nuts with some play calling at times. So did Brent Vigen

Randy Hedberg is awesome and on paper is the most qualified but I would be suprised if he wants the chaos at his age. He's perfect coaching QBs. Dan Larson would be my next OC and I would hire an O-line coach.

Hiring only a defensive minded head coach is assinine. Why would we eliminate half the candidates? I think of Bison football as physical offenses that wear you down

KSBisonFan
12-11-2023, 11:05 AM
All candidates should be put in a game simulation requiring in-game clock management and 2 minute offense.

The guy who scores and uses at least 2 time outs moves on to the tackling round.

TAILG8R
12-11-2023, 01:57 PM
All candidates should be put in a game simulation requiring in-game clock management and 2 minute offense.

The guy who scores and uses at least 2 time outs moves on to the tackling round.

I'm going to choose to decide you're serious because after reading it and laughing I want it to happen. :)

I wonder if one of the standard interview questions for head coach at NDSU is a word problem involving timeouts? IF you have 3 timeouts and your opponent has 2 and the score is 21-10 with 4 minutes to go in the half. The opponent has the ball deep in their end and they get the ball to start the second half. How many timeouts should you take with you into the locker room? OF course the correct answer is THREE!!!!!!

KSBisonFan
12-11-2023, 03:09 PM
I'm going to choose to decide you're serious because after reading it and laughing I want it to happen. :)

I wonder if one of the standard interview questions for head coach at NDSU is a word problem involving timeouts? IF you have 3 timeouts and your opponent has 2 and the score is 21-10 with 4 minutes to go in the half. The opponent has the ball deep in their end and they get the ball to start the second half. How many timeouts should you take with you into the locker room? OF course the correct answer is THREE!!!!!!

Other focal points in the interview process need to be on 2 point conversion math and maybe ask, "How do feel about the Swinging Gate stategery?"

Strategery
12-11-2023, 03:15 PM
Other focal points in the interview process need to be on 2 point conversion math and maybe ask, "How do feel about the Swinging Gate stategery?"

And make sure he says swinging gate “strategery” too.

KSBisonFan
12-11-2023, 03:55 PM
And make sure he says swinging gate “strategery” too.

Right on cue. That was intentional.

Strategery
12-11-2023, 04:03 PM
Right on cue. That was intentional.

Great, now everyone knows how to summon me. That and lion king.

NFH Schlüssel
12-11-2023, 04:25 PM
We want “prime time”. The gig he was waiting for haha

That would be hilarious! Imagine going from a Buffalo to a Bison.

TAILG8R
12-11-2023, 04:29 PM
Aaron Best from EWU seems to have always wanted to be a Bison.

Added bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw&t=9s&ab_channel=ComedyCentral

yellowstreak
12-11-2023, 11:46 PM
What do you know or think about Jerry Olszewski or Todd Hoffner?