PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Lost the Most Mojo?

CaBisonFan
10-31-2023, 05:47 AM
The team... or the fans?

But... but... but...

reformedUNDfan
10-31-2023, 05:55 AM
The staff.

BigHorns
10-31-2023, 09:44 AM
The next 3 games will answer that. Hope the mojo returns.

scottietohottie
10-31-2023, 12:40 PM
You can't lose something you never had.

El_Chapo
10-31-2023, 03:32 PM
OUR DEFENSE!! 8 games

Leading Tacklers are: 51, 33, 32, 28 ...... Need More Tackling, More Interceptions, More Sacks.

2023 North Dakota State Football
North Dakota State Overall Defensive Statistics (as of Oct 29, 2023)
All games
Tackles Sacks Pass defense Fumbles blkd
## Defensive Leaders gp-gs ua a tot tfl/yds no-yds int-yds brup qbh rcv-yds ff kick saf
43 Logan Kopp 8-8 24 27 51 5.0-23 2.5-18 3-35 2 1 1-0 2 . .
31 Cole Wisniewski 7-7 17 16 33 . . 4-129 2 . . 1 . .
20 Julian Wlodarczyk 6-6 20 12 32 2.0-15 . . 2 . . 1 . .
35 Sam Jung 8-8 15 13 28 2.0-3 . . 1 . . . . .
54 Jake Kava 8-8 9 19 28 4.5-13 1.5-9 . . 1 . . . .
23 Jayden Price 8-8 14 8 22 0.5-2 . 1-0 2 3 1-0 . . .
36 Nick Kubitz 7-7 13 8 21 2.0-2 . . . 1 . . . .
10 Marcus Sheppard 8-8 10 10 20 1.5-4 . . 2 . 1-5 . . .
47 Luke Weerts 8-1 9 11 20 2.0-7 1.0-5 1-0 1 . . . . .

CaBisonFan
10-31-2023, 03:53 PM
You can't lose something you never had.So the fans.

tony
10-31-2023, 04:27 PM
The fans that are jumping ship never had any mojo of their own to begin with, they were just borrowing it, and now they're on to something else.

And that's OK. Going to Bison games isn't cheap. Now the people who were complaining about not being able to get season tickets can swoop in. That's the cycle of life.

I have no doubt that the team and coaches are giving it their all.

heffray
10-31-2023, 04:38 PM
So the fans.

I’m cheering for a team that’s 1.5 years removed from winning 9 national championships in 11 years. No fucking way I’ve lost my mojo yet, and I’ll tell an SDSU and a UND fan that right to their fucking face (and I have, recently).

When SDSU won it last year, they were still celebrating, in postgame pressers, with horns down symbols. I hope they keep doing that pathetic shit as long as humanly possible because it shows how completely rent free we are still living in their shitty-ass po-dunk minds. Fuckem.

CaBisonFan
10-31-2023, 04:49 PM
I’m cheering for a team that’s 1.5 years removed from winning 9 national championships in 11 years. No fucking way I’ve lost my mojo yet, and I’ll tell an SDSU and a UND fan that right to their fucking face (and I have, recently).

When SDSU won it last year, they were still celebrating, in postgame pressers, with horns down symbols. I hope they keep doing that pathetic shit as long as humanly possible because it shows how completely rent free we are still living in their shitty-ass po-dunk minds. Fuckem.I don't think of the wabbits or undy as a real rival. I'm with you.

LefseBison
10-31-2023, 07:25 PM

When SDSU won it last year, they were still celebrating, in postgame pressers, with horns down symbols. I hope they keep doing that pathetic shit as long as humanly possible because it shows how completely rent free we are still living in their shitty-ass po-dunk minds. Fuckem.

:hungry::detsucks::duel::cheers::evil::blush::bunn yb::rimshot::frog::banghead:

El_Chapo
10-31-2023, 07:28 PM
Handox and Tatanka for sure

heffray
10-31-2023, 08:11 PM
I don't think of the wabbits or undy as a real rival. I'm with you.

I’m not with you. I think of them both as rivals, especially SDSU. But that’s just me.

HerdBot
11-01-2023, 01:04 AM
Little of both but it mostly boils down to the fact the FCS is eroding and we rarely get FBS games. There was over 20k in Arizona. Until we move up, those games will be rare

Fans pay huge money for tickets and most games are over at half time. There only a few regular season games fans get truly excited for. Then you got the semis in the playoffs. This team, if they make the playoffs, will be on the road. But teams like Georgia Southern and James Madison have been replaced by something called Incarnate Word. Fans arent interested in the Word

The team simply doesnt have stars and great personalities, who help sell tickets. Then the stars leave early for the draft or transfer. Team isnt tough or physical. Where is Travis Beck flying through the air vs K-State who then dislocates his shoulder and tries to make a tackle with 1 arm. Then he pops it back into place. No Austin Kuhnert popping a dislocated elbow back into place so he doesnt miss a play. How about Grant Olson playing with Appendicitis? Or DeLuca playing injured for 4 games to preserve a year of eligibility. Or Jirek playing well with 2 bad shoulders that required surgery after the year. Or Wentz playiny a full game with a broken throwing hand. We dont have those kind of players

Games are closer not because the competition is better. We are worse

Then on top of it, marketing and bad decisions, has slowly eroded the experience.

1) Ruining tailgating by eliminating all GA spots on the west side pushed out some fans

2) Things like Fan Day being reduced to a high school level production is a huge failure

3) We lost our stud video guy but now they dont do any hype videos or pre game stuff

4) the tickets have no cheap options. Even the top row KK in the corner seats are $50 when the dome is empty. SDSU still has $22 options

Them you got the donors who have made some incredible gifts, only to see the team go backwards

Move up

56BISON73
11-01-2023, 01:17 AM
I don't think of the wabbits or undy as a real rival. I'm with you.

Reason being that SDSU was just an after thought when you were in school. They manufactured the rivalry when they invented the Dakota Marker. In time SDSU got better and are now one of the top games of the season. UND has been a rival long before I was in school. It doesnt have the edge it once had because of the hiatus and current students havent experienced it because of our dominance.

bisonfanette
11-01-2023, 01:28 AM
The fans that are jumping ship never had any mojo of their own to begin with, they were just borrowing it, and now they're on to something else.
And that's OK. Going to Bison games isn't cheap. Now the people who were complaining about not being able to get season tickets can swoop in. That's the cycle of life.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think many people are going to swoop in…
I’m afraid the opposite is going to happen. Too many people are trying to sell their season tickets week after week.
They can easily buy them at the window next year. Unfortunately, I’ve heard of season ticket holders who gave up their seats on the 40 yard line… (to save $) only to purchase single game tickets & go sit on the 40, because they are available.
I’m more than concerned. When you can’t give tickets away… you have problems that needed to be addressed 1.5 years ago. It’s not an anomaly!
My suggestion - email letters folks. I did. Include Teammakers.

LefseBison
11-01-2023, 02:14 AM
I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think many people are going to swoop in…
I’m afraid the opposite is going to happen. Too many people are trying to sell their season tickets week after week.
They can easily buy them at the window next year. Unfortunately, I’ve heard of season ticket holders who gave up their seats on the 40 yard line… (to save $) only to purchase single game tickets & go sit on the 40, because they are available.
I’m more than concerned. When you can’t give tickets away… you have problems that needed to be addressed 1.5 years ago. It’s not an anomaly!
My suggestion - email letters folks. I did. Include Teammakers.

I am still working on my snail mail to Athletic Director with copies to Teammakers and Fan Engagement. I am glad I held off on sending it right away because I am reading of more insights on Bisonville to include. I am guessing my correspondence will not make much difference in what transpires but I am seeing a program spiraling downward and once it hits bottom, it is hard to bring it back up especially since a few other programs are smart enough to try innovative ideas rather than being stuck in their own bubble and not wanting to adjust to changing circumstances. We cannot continue to run on "fumes" or rest on our laurels from the 9 championships. Look where we are from that! I wonder if NDSU knows that there are $22 options available from SDSU. I think NDSU has to decide - would offering lower-cost options to engage new people or those who cannot afford them bring in more money than EMPTY seats?

Every time I go past the Football Sports Complex as well as SHAC, I think of what wonderful facilities we have and how sad some of our programs have become. Just stunning facilities.

I know others have pointed this out but it seems efforts from Sports Administration are retracting rather than expanding in response to empty seats and lesser fan enthusiasm and the exact opposite should be happening. COMMON SENSE is lacking. :banghead:

HerdBot
11-01-2023, 03:23 AM
I am still working on my snail mail to Athletic Director with copies to Teammakers and Fan Engagement. I am glad I held off on sending it right away because I am reading of more insights on Bisonville to include. I am guessing my correspondence will not make much difference in what transpires but I am seeing a program spiraling downward and once it hits bottom, it is hard to bring it back up especially since a few other programs are smart enough to try innovative ideas rather than being stuck in their own bubble and not wanting to adjust to changing circumstances. We cannot continue to run on "fumes" or rest on our laurels from the 9 championships. Look where we are from that! I wonder if NDSU knows that there are $22 options available from SDSU. I think NDSU has to decide - would offering lower-cost options to engage new people or those who cannot afford them bring in more money than EMPTY seats?

Every time I go past the Football Sports Complex as well as SHAC, I think of what wonderful facilities we have and how sad some of our programs have become. Just stunning facilities.

I know others have pointed this out but it seems efforts from Sports Administration are retracting rather than expanding in response to empty seats and lesser fan enthusiasm and the exact opposite should be happening. COMMON SENSE is lacking. :banghead:

The entire sports administration needs to be gutted. They are in over their heads. They inherited a program that sold out an entire season in advance and ran it into the ground. Outside of track and field, most olympic sports are mediocre. More to the job than fundraising to pad your resume. Some of these clowns couldnt manage a Dairy Queen

bisonfanette
11-01-2023, 05:03 AM
Little of both but it mostly boils down to the fact the FCS is eroding and we rarely get FBS games. There was over 20k in Arizona. Until we move up, those games will be rare
Fans pay huge money for tickets and most games are over at half time. There only a few regular season games fans get truly excited for. Then you got the semis in the playoffs. This team, if they make the playoffs, will be on the road. But teams like Georgia Southern and James Madison have been replaced by something called Incarnate Word. Fans arent interested in the Word
The team simply doesnt have stars and great personalities, who help sell tickets. Then the stars leave early for the draft or transfer. Team isnt tough or physical. Where is Travis Beck flying through the air vs K-State who then dislocates his shoulder and tries to make a tackle with 1 arm. Then he pops it back into place. No Austin Kuhnert popping a dislocated elbow back into place so he doesnt miss a play. How about Grant Olson playing with Appendicitis? Or DeLuca playing injured for 4 games to preserve a year of eligibility. Or Jirek playing well with 2 bad shoulders that required surgery after the year. Or Wentz playiny a full game with a broken throwing hand. We dont have those kind of players
Then on top of it, marketing and bad decisions, has slowly eroded the experience.
1) Ruining tailgating by eliminating all GA spots on the west side pushed out some fans
2) Things like Fan Day being reduced to a high school level production is a huge failure
3) We lost our stud video guy but now they dont do any hype videos or pre game stuff
4) the tickets have no cheap options. Even the top row KK in the corner seats are $50 when the dome is empty. SDSU still has $22 options
Them you got the donors who have made some incredible gifts, only to see the team go backwards
Move up

I agree with everything. Imo, we also have a football leadership issue. Good players will stay, if they have a good leadership and loyalty.

LefseBison
11-01-2023, 05:30 AM

Move up

And in your list of previous Bison players who toughed it out despite physical adversity - I seem to recall Brock Jensen having the flu during one of the playoff games, hardly slept the night before and during halftime, they gave him something to hydrate him, and Brock came right out again and kept playing. As we all know, we are missing that toughness with the current roster and lacking the never-say-die mentality BIG TIME. The coaches themselves need to model the behavior they want from the players.

BISONBRI53
11-01-2023, 01:15 PM

Move up

Gabe, I typically eye roll when I read your posts... This one though is 100% spot on!!! I think this needs to be copied and sent to the Prez....

G_Funky
11-01-2023, 02:20 PM

Move up

One thing I'd like to add regarding the identity of our athletic department:

In 2008 NDSU was playing the Jacks in the dome on the final game of the season...playoff implications on the line. If the Bison won, they had a decent chance of making the playoffs at 7-4 (losses to FBS Wyoming, ranked Youngstown, ranked UNI, and ranked WIU - beat the eventual MVFC co-champs SIU). SDSU was also sort of in the talks at 6-5 and so a win in Fargo would put them in the playoff talk as well. This was the game when Ryan Berry got smoked, obviously concussed, and then came back in the game after their backup broke his hand. On SDSU's last drive, they had a nearly nonconvertible 3rd down...especially with an injured QB and a sold out Fargo Dome about ready to blow the roof off the place. Berry heaves some desperation throw down the middle of the field and NDSU safety Nick Schommer drilled the SDSU wide receiver as he was going up for the catch. Totally legal, albeit unnecessary, but legal nonetheless. One official felt like he needed to be part of the game so he threw a flag for a personal foul on Schomms. SDSU eventually went down and scored and tacked on a 2pt conversion to win the game 25-24.

Gene Taylor was on the sideline for the game and had to be physically grabbed and pulled back onto the sideline by support staff after that official made the call. He came totally unhinged.

Some may call that being unprofessional.

I viewed it as a man that passionately cared about the program, the vision, and the kids on the field.

Im not so sure that mentality or passion exists anymore in the athletic department...and it really is too bad.

El_Chapo
11-01-2023, 02:37 PM
yes, Gene was at SDSU Basketball game in 2009 woodside year and was besides himself with the refs calling everyone on ndsu. Unbison and I were standing by him and just giggling, then he gave us that look like "can you guys harass this ref so i don't get thrown out"

so we took over..

Gene & Klieman would have us FBS TOP 25 like JMU already. man we messed up...

TAILG8R
11-01-2023, 02:40 PM
Matt Larsen's "playbook" for the NDSU athletics department

https://www.shutterstock.com/shutterstock/photos/2317460815/display_1500/stock-photo-image-of-squeezed-lemon-left-no-juice-in-it-with-squeezed-machine-2317460815.jpg

LefseBison
11-01-2023, 05:38 PM
Matt Larsen's "playbook" for the NDSU athletics department

https://www.shutterstock.com/shutterstock/photos/2317460815/display_1500/stock-photo-image-of-squeezed-lemon-left-no-juice-in-it-with-squeezed-machine-2317460815.jpg

If Gene Taylor were still here (understandably he was fabulous so was ripe for moving up), things would be vastly different. God, I miss his athletic expertise. :ranting:

THEsocalledfan
11-01-2023, 08:54 PM

That issue went away in 2020. Now, they are pricing existing ticket holders out of the market as they can't embrace the new reality of 15k in the stands on a good day.

TAILG8R
11-01-2023, 09:13 PM
That issue went away in 2020. Now, they are pricing existing ticket holders out of the market as they can't embrace the new reality of 15k in the stands on a good day.

Larsen has squeezed every last bit of juice out of the momentum we had and most of that came in the form of higher fees, ticket prices, tailgating costs, etc. He was so quick to stab us all in the back for a stick of gum he forgot to look into the future a couple years and ask "what if ...".

BISONBRI53
11-01-2023, 09:36 PM
Larsen has squeezed every last bit of juice out of the momentum we had and most of that came in the form of higher fees, ticket prices, tailgating costs, etc. He was so quick to stab us all in the back for a stick of gum he forgot to look into the future a couple years and ask "what if ...".

Remember when he was saying that we are spoiled? That was cool.

HerdBot
11-01-2023, 09:54 PM
One thing I'd like to add regarding the identity of our athletic department:

In 2008 NDSU was playing the Jacks in the dome on the final game of the season...playoff implications on the line. If the Bison won, they had a decent chance of making the playoffs at 7-4 (losses to FBS Wyoming, ranked Youngstown, ranked UNI, and ranked WIU - beat the eventual MVFC co-champs SIU). SDSU was also sort of in the talks at 6-5 and so a win in Fargo would put them in the playoff talk as well. This was the game when Ryan Berry got smoked, obviously concussed, and then came back in the game after their backup broke his hand. On SDSU's last drive, they had a nearly nonconvertible 3rd down...especially with an injured QB and a sold out Fargo Dome about ready to blow the roof off the place. Berry heaves some desperation throw down the middle of the field and NDSU safety Nick Schommer drilled the SDSU wide receiver as he was going up for the catch. Totally legal, albeit unnecessary, but legal nonetheless. One official felt like he needed to be part of the game so he threw a flag for a personal foul on Schomms. SDSU eventually went down and scored and tacked on a 2pt conversion to win the game 25-24.

Gene Taylor was on the sideline for the game and had to be physically grabbed and pulled back onto the sideline by support staff after that official made the call. He came totally unhinged.

Some may call that being unprofessional.

I viewed it as a man that passionately cared about the program, the vision, and the kids on the field.

Im not so sure that mentality or passion exists anymore in the athletic department...and it really is too bad.

Gene cared and was passionate. He was also paying close attention to details and listening. I emailed him about numerous things over the years. Topics ranged from taipgating at the spring game to yard signs to how crappy the Hall of Fame was. I emailed him about how crappy the Dacotah Field bleachers looked. He replied back every time and even put some things into motion

I emailed Larson and he never replied once, so I stopped emailing him

KSBisonFan
11-01-2023, 10:27 PM
Gene cared and was passionate. He was also paying close attention to details and listening. I emailed him about numerous things over the years. Topics ranged from taipgating at the spring game to yard signs to how crappy the Hall of Fame was. I emailed him about how crappy the Dacotah Field bleachers looked. He replied back every time and even put some things into motion

I emailed Larson and he never replied once, so I stopped emailing him

I've also emailed Larson in the past, and never received one reply.

TAILG8R
11-02-2023, 12:18 AM
ML is all about appearances and making connections. Probably why he’s been good at raising money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisonfanette
11-02-2023, 12:40 AM
I've also emailed Larson in the past, and never received one reply.

I sent an email. I received a reply. I disagreed….. and sent a second email.
Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn’t be beneficial to email some of the Teammakers who are large donors and influential?

BigHorns
11-02-2023, 01:30 AM
I sent an email. I received a reply. I disagreed….. and sent a second email.
Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn’t be beneficial to email some of the Teammakers who are large donors and influential?

Since most are just hearing silence, interested in what they said.
Was it a reasonable response, dismissive, or argumentative?

What I wonder sometimes is do they have Ivory Tower mentality, and just not care about fan concerns.
Or think 99% of people are happy, and all is well.

LefseBison
11-02-2023, 01:43 AM
The really, really smart and successful Athletic Directors and coaches understand this very basic fact. FANS are a huge part of the sports equation. Making an effort to truly listen to them, respond and make adjustments were what set Gene Taylor apart from the current AD and football coaches. The fact that it is so difficult for the current guys to understand just blows my mind. :pan:

56BISON73
11-02-2023, 01:47 AM
Ive had one interaction with ML and it was over the phone. It was in regards to Lance-locker room issues.

At first he asked some question about my back ground at NDSU. THen he launched in to a pre-written script that didnt allow for any input from me. When he finally finished he rambled through my attempt to say something in rebuttle and hung up.

He obviously had a lot of phone calls to make from what Ive heard.

I also had numerous conversations with GT. He never made excuses and always asked what could be done to make the situation better.
He was also very funny when describing some of the idiot fan behavior. Its like--he did what???????? LOL LOL

LefseBison
11-02-2023, 01:50 AM
The really, really smart and successful Athletic Directors and coaches understand this very basic fact. FANS are a huge part of the sports equation. Making an effort to truly listen to them, respond and make adjustments were what set Gene Taylor apart from the current AD and football coaches. The fact that it is so difficult for the current guys to understand just blows my mind. :pan:

And just because fans are not speaking up does not mean they are happy with the status quo. Perhaps Sports Administration thinks so but it is possible the fans have just given up expressing opinions because they get nowhere.

56BISON73
11-02-2023, 02:05 AM
And just because fans are not speaking up does not mean they are happy with the status quo. Perhaps Sports Administration thinks so but it is possible the fans have just given up expressing opinions because they get nowhere.

Ive always felt if you can bitch here you can also send it to NDSU. When suggesting this Iam continually told----ITS NOT MY JOB!!!!! With that thought in mind I would say we have a bunch of people who just like to bitch. What is good to know is its a very small minority of Bison Nation as a whole.

BattleBorn
11-02-2023, 02:14 AM
I don't think I have enough zeros at the end of my check, nor do I have the athletics background at NDSU, to waste their time with my opinions. That said, everything sucks, fire everybody, knock over the Dome, and let's party like we used to during the early days of the run.

56BISON73
11-02-2023, 02:18 AM
I don't think I have enough zeros at the end of my check, nor do I have the athletics background at NDSU, to waste their time with my opinions. That said, everything sucks, fire everybody, knock over the Dome, and let's party like we used to during the early days of the run.

This is where you would be wrong.

mtoutfitter
11-02-2023, 02:21 AM
I'm by no means a huge donor. I've emailed Matt Larson twice, answered both times and followed up by calling me. Just my 2 cents.

BattleBorn
11-02-2023, 02:22 AM

Maybe, and I'm actually not bitching about anyone in particular. I did reach out once asking about licensing for a flag with my current home state and the NDSU logo over top of it. The next year, they went with those badass TM stickers in the shape of our states, so I'm going to claim credit. On a serious note, I don't know the answers. It feels like we're in a position where people are bored when we win and ashamed to attend when we lose a couple. I don't know how you fix that.

123Gobison
11-02-2023, 02:30 AM
The staff.

I agree 100%.

CAS4127
11-02-2023, 02:32 AM
ML and our new voice of Bison are ecstatic at how well our programs are doing. But consider where they came from and what they had there vs. what we have/expect here.

56BISON73
11-02-2023, 02:32 AM
Maybe, and I'm actually not bitching about anyone in particular. I did reach out once asking about licensing for a flag with my current home state and the NDSU logo over top of it. The next year, they went with those badass TM stickers in the shape of our states, so I'm going to claim credit. On a serious note, I don't know the answers. It feels like we're in a position where people are bored when we win and ashamed to attend when we lose a couple. I don't know how you fix that.

Alot of pointing fingers. Fact dynasties dont last forever. Ours ended after a very long time. Its going to take some time to right the ship. The good thing is we only have may be 20% of the FCS to be better than. I think we are 2-3 recruiting classes away. And they have to be good. We cant be recruiting safeties to play linebacker etc etc.
A change in coaching philosophies would be a good start.

123Gobison
11-02-2023, 02:34 AM
yes, Gene was at SDSU Basketball game in 2009 woodside year and was besides himself with the refs calling everyone on ndsu. Unbison and I were standing by him and just giggling, then he gave us that look like "can you guys harass this ref so i don't get thrown out"

so we took over..

Gene & Klieman would have us FBS TOP 25 like JMU already. man we messed up...

You will find old school men like Gene Taylor who lived up to their principles and fought for what was right . His generation is over.

BattleBorn
11-02-2023, 02:37 AM
Alot of pointing fingers. Fact dynasties dont last forever. Ours ended after a very long time. Its going to take some time to right the ship. The good thing is we only have may be 20% of the FCS to be better than. I think we are 2-3 recruiting classes away. And they have to be good. We cant be recruiting safeties to play linebacker etc etc.

Right. And we have a whole generation of fans just learning that for the first time. Think of that, we've had kids go to their first Bison game ten years ago, student age (or older) now, just getting a taste of what it's like to not be on top. We are spoiled for sure.

56BISON73
11-02-2023, 02:59 AM
Right. And we have a whole generation of fans just learning that for the first time. Think of that, we've had kids go to their first Bison game ten years ago, student age (or older) now, just getting a taste of what it's like to not be on top. We are spoiled for sure.

:nod::nod::nod:

KC_Hats
11-02-2023, 03:08 AM
I was at the Friday night event at US Bank Stadium the day before the game with my brother. Our table was directly across from where the stage was that everyone talked.

The director of the NDSU Development Foundation talked to us, President Cook talked to us, and Matt Larsen talked to us. They were all very good to talk with and answered all of our questions. They were excited about the game and the atmosphere everyone was going to experience at US Bank Stadium.

I emailed Gene Taylor quite a bit when he was AD. I have always been out of state so I mostly contacted him about improving our opportunity to watch games. Streaming became a big thing under Gene.

I now live in Iowa and a few years ago we had a neighbor in our neighborhood that was fighting non-smoking lung cancer. The organizers were asking for donations that they could use to raise money for the family. Gene was the Assistant AD at University of Iowa so I contacted him to see what he could provide. He provided me with 4 of the street light banners that they hang around the stadium (I believe they were the previous year's banners). The banners had quite a few former great Hawkeye players on them (at least one was in the NFL). The bidders were ecstatic that they could buy them and they were huge money makers. Gene is a very good guy and I will always cheer for him.

Ryan Perreault is always very helpful with coverage issues with the streaming broadcasts.

LefseBison
11-02-2023, 04:15 AM
Ive always felt if you can bitch here you can also send it to NDSU. When suggesting this Iam continually told----ITS NOT MY JOB!!!!! With that thought in mind I would say we have a bunch of people who just like to bitch. What is good to know is its a very small minority of Bison Nation as a whole.

I have probably sent 10 letters (not athletic) to NDSU, starting with the Bresciani decade, with academic concerns, suggestions for improvement in student recruitment and retention, communication, enrollment concerns and so forth. It is more efficient to send it directly to someone who can potentially do something about a concern. The whole purpose of this fan forum is to discuss and gripe but if you want real changes, you have to let the powers-that-be know.

And importantly, just because an administrator does not respond to your concerns does not mean it is going unnoticed. I like an acknowledgement but, if none is forthcoming, at least they read my concerns.

And just because someone is not a big donor does not mean that their opinion should count any less (in a perfect world). :D

56BISON73
11-02-2023, 04:31 AM
I have probably sent 10 letters (not athletic) to NDSU, starting with the Bresciani decade, with academic concerns, suggestions for improvement in student recruitment and retention, communication, enrollment concerns and so forth. It is more efficient to send it directly to someone who can potentially do something about a concern. The whole purpose of this fan forum is to discuss and gripe but if you want real changes, you have to let the powers-that-be know.

And importantly, just because an administrator does not respond to your concerns does not mean it is going unnoticed. I like an acknowledgement but, if none is forthcoming, at least they read my concerns.

And just because someone is not a big donor does not mean that their opinion should count any less (in a perfect world). :D

So we agree.

Bison03
11-02-2023, 05:27 AM
The Bison are 6-2 and a top 10 team. A lot of teams fans would be pretty excited to be having a down year compared to our standards.

CaBisonFan
11-02-2023, 10:37 AM
To expound... I think that the fans win the 𝐖𝐡𝐨 𝐇𝐚𝐬 𝐋𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐌𝐨𝐣𝐨 contest in a slam dunk. Case in point... look at the Nebraska situation where the team has been pretty inept since joining the Big 14. Possibly earlier. Their last great team was in the 90s. The fans still show up and do their part in a big way. They show up and very few of them leave during the game. And they cheer for possible toilet bowl participation. They don't give excuses like We're Farming... or Hunting... or Fishing... or the weather's too nice... or the AD sucks... or the HC sucks and can't talk... or the OC is an idiot... or our guys are too small... we can't recruit... etc, etc, etc. They just faithfully show up. The Bison team and coaches still come to the games and give it everything that they have. Yes... some of the Bison swagger is missing right now. Yes... there are problems... yes... they've lost to SDSU too many times... etc, etc. But i ask you... don't you think that the lack of fan support could have at least some impact on the players? Or on recruiting? Where in the hell is the FargoDome home field advantage? Where has it gone to? It's been written that the Bison played a lousy 2nd half against Murray State. Fair criticism. But where were the fans? The environment was like being at a frickin scrimmage. And the announcers said that there was a good crowd. What a crock.

GreenfieldBison
11-02-2023, 01:02 PM
To expound... I think that the fans win the 퐖퐡퐨 퐇퐚퐬 퐋퐨퐬퐭 퐭퐡퐞 퐌퐨퐬퐭 퐌퐨퐣퐨 contest in a slam dunk. Case in point... look at the Nebraska situation where the team has been pretty inept since joining the Big 14. Possibly earlier. Their last great team was in the 90s. The fans still show up and do their part in a big way. They show up and very few of them leave during the game. And they cheer for possible toilet bowl participation. They don't give excuses like We're Farming... or Hunting... or Fishing... or the weather's too nice... or the AD sucks... or the HC sucks and can't talk... or the OC is an idiot... or our guys are too small... we can't recruit... etc, etc, etc. They just faithfully show up. The Bison team and coaches still come to the games and give it everything that they have. Yes... some of the Bison swagger is missing right now. Yes... there are problems... yes... they've lost to SDSU too many times... etc, etc. But i ask you... don't you think that the lack of fan support could have at least some impact on the players? Or on recruiting? Where in the hell is the FargoDome home field advantage? Where has it gone to? It's been written that the Bison played a lousy 2nd half against Murray State. Fair criticism. But where were the fans? The environment was like being at a frickin scrimmage. And the announcers said that there was a good crowd. What a crock.
Have you been to Nebraska? There is literally nothing else to do. OK, pheasants. Yeah, yeah and deer. But on Saturday mornings Memorial Stadium will contain the hapless Huskers and some big name, big time FBS opponent from the B1G these days. You won't find that in the FargoDome. That is a big difference according to many. A couple of years ago I went to the Gophers home opener not because I am a Gopher fan but because the oppo was The Ohio State. And speaking of the boat rowers I would guess that even at this low point NDSU is still drawing comparatively well versus their closest FBS neighbor. Ain't no Memorial Stadium in Minneapolis. Just like Sarah Palin I can see I-94 from my house and there is no river of maroon and gold on Saturday mornings.

Either way though we as fans owe nothing to the program. Nothing. It is entertainment and as such competes against all other uses of that discretionary capital. It is up to the entertainment provider to make the experience compelling.

GreenfieldBison
11-02-2023, 01:07 PM
Do you really think it is recruiting? Wasn't it @mtoutfitter who recently compared recruiting classes between NDSU and SDSU as ranked by 247? NDSU was consistently getting the better ranked classes. Are the 247 rankings just relatively worthless and/or misleading in this league in your opinion?

thunderingherd
11-02-2023, 01:21 PM
Have you been to Nebraska? There is literally nothing else to do. OK, pheasants. Yeah, yeah and deer. But on Saturday mornings Memorial Stadium will contain the hapless Huskers and some big name, big time FBS opponent from the B1G these days. You won't find that in the FargoDome. That is a big difference according to many. A couple of years ago I went to the Gophers home opener not because I am a Gopher fan but because the oppo was The Ohio State. And speaking of the boat rowers I would guess that even at this low point NDSU is still drawing comparatively well versus their closest FBS neighbor. Ain't no Memorial Stadium in Minneapolis. Just like Sarah Palin I can see I-94 from my house and there is no river of maroon and gold on Saturday mornings.

Either way though we as fans owe nothing to the program. Nothing. It is entertainment and as such competes against all other uses of that discretionary capital. It is up to the entertainment provider to make the experience compelling.

Have you been to Fargo? Even less to do than Lincoln and I live here.

Hammerhead
11-02-2023, 01:22 PM
The same could probably be said for Fargo, especially considering we don't have a city of 500,000 people about an hour away.

CaBisonFan
11-02-2023, 01:25 PM

Either way though we as fans owe nothing to the program. Nothing. It is entertainment and as such competes against all other uses of that discretionary capital. It is up to the entertainment provider to make the experience compelling.. There's more to do in North Dakota than in Nebraska? That is rich. Nebraska fills the stadium no matter who they play. I've been there 3 different times. Once against Pacific. Packed. The Gophers have a great stadium. Yes... they tore down their old classic stadium years ago. They draw big crowds now. As far as 'owing' something to the program... that is correct. But it's not about 'owing.' I've been a strong proponent of an FBS move for several years. Bringing some big-name programs to Fargo would be great. What FBS neighbor are you referring to? Minnesota? Or did you mean FCS?

GreenfieldBison
11-02-2023, 01:38 PM
Have you been to Fargo? Even less to do than Lincoln and I live here.
I lived in Fargo for a combined 22 years total. Family still living there and I return multiple times/year.
I lived in Lincoln for four years.

I am familiar.

GreenfieldBison
11-02-2023, 01:54 PM
. There's more to do in North Dakota than in Nebraska? That is rich. Nebraska fills the stadium no matter who they play. I've been there 3 different times. Once against Pacific. Packed. The Gophers have a great stadium. Yes... they tore down their old classic stadium years ago. They draw big crowds now. As far as 'owing' something to the program... that is correct. But it's not about 'owing.' I've been a strong proponent of an FBS move for several years. Bringing some big-name programs to Fargo would be great. What FBS neighbor are you referring to? Minnesota? Or did you mean FCS?
Referring to Minnesota yes.

Minnesota FB is drawing (post pandemic, '21-'22) ~ 83% of twin cities campus enrollment from a metro area of ~ 3 million
NDSU FB is drawing (2022) ~ 142% of campus enrollment from a metro area of what, 1/10 of MSP?

Even though the sky has dropped it isn't exactly falling even at this low ebb in fan interest.

GreenfieldBison
11-02-2023, 01:57 PM
The same could probably be said for Fargo, especially considering we don't have a city of 500,000 people about an hour away.
You have a metro of 3 million just 3 hours away. True, we can't boast a Warren Buffet but we do have some other lesser billionaires if that is your thing and I would say a fair bit more to do than in Omaha.

thunderingherd
11-02-2023, 02:04 PM
I lived in Fargo for a combined 22 years total. Family still living there and I return multiple times/year.
I lived in Lincoln for four years.

I am familiar.

Ok. I assumed the start of you argument above was in relation to NU gets sold out crowds, partly because there's nothing to do. If that was a major part of the criteria, we'd have to build a 60,000 seat fargodome.

LefseBison
11-02-2023, 02:08 PM
Can we STOP with the location-shaming? Every one of those cities has huge amounts of stuff to do. It depends on your attitude. People nowadays want to be entertained rather than entertain themselves. If some of you would get off your fat-asses, you would see plenty to do in Fargo (for example). Same with Nebraska. Literally nothing to do?? That's rich!. We are spoiled if we think there is nothing to do.

I have noticed a really lack of fan energy at the FARGODOME. Can we at least fake it???? Believe me, the players are picking up on fan apathy. :smh:

TAILG8R
11-02-2023, 02:10 PM

As a kid following the Bison run through the 80s this is what happened to me and my peers. All I knew as a kid was that the Bison were the best team in the country and little me wanted them to prove it to the rest of the country every week. I remember telling people I was going to a Bison game during the early 2000s and they would look at me like I had two heads. Why would anyone waste time going to an empty dome to watch the Bison lose?? At one point it took almost an entire season to convince my brother to come tailgating and only if I agreed we would only go about 2 hours before the game. That must have been around 07-08. We still talk about when we were kids we went to every home game at Dacotah and listened to every away game on the radio and at that point he had been checked out for YEARS.

So think about a kid who was 10-12 even 15 when the run started and now is in their mid 20s. Not only are they in a place in their life where they have freedom and social commitments but if the team starts slipping there will be a lot more of them asking why they would bother going to see a losing team. All they've ever known was the Bison where the best team in the country.

TAILG8R
11-02-2023, 02:17 PM
Do you really think it is recruiting? Wasn't it @mtoutfitter who recently compared recruiting classes between NDSU and SDSU as ranked by 247? NDSU was consistently getting the better ranked classes. Are the 247 rankings just relatively worthless and/or misleading in this league in your opinion?

I think what PL(56Bison..) was saying is that we need to change our recruiting philosophy back to getting bigger. Our recruiting classes can be highly ranked but we are putting lighter and (maybe) faster kids on the field in a conference that is still very much meat and potatoes and all about strength and size. Also personally I think this staff cares way to much about measurables when it comes to recruiting and that turns into kids that are maybe the "right height" but aren't able to fill out their frame. The ones that can and will get the offers just above ours. So in a strange way a lot of these tweeners we are getting or stealing from lower level FBS teams aren't bulking up, or we aren choosing not to bulk them up.

thunderingherd
11-02-2023, 02:20 PM
Can we STOP with the location-shaming? Every one of those cities has huge amounts of stuff to do. It depends on your attitude. People nowadays want to be entertained rather than entertain themselves. If some of you would get off your fat-asses, you would see plenty to do in Fargo (for example). Same with Nebraska. Literally nothing to do?? That's rich!. We are spoiled if we think there is nothing to do.

I have noticed a really lack of fan energy at the FARGODOME. Can we at least fake it???? Believe me, the players are picking up on fan apathy. :smh:

so location shaming to fat shaming?

GreenfieldBison
11-02-2023, 02:39 PM
Ok. I assumed the start of you argument above was in relation to NU gets sold out crowds, partly because there's nothing to do. If that was a major part of the criteria, we'd have to build a 60,000 seat fargodome.
I surely can't explain the difference in draw between NU and NDSU other than FBS vs FCS. On the surface both situations seem very similar. But here is some data:
Nebraska population is > 2x North Dakota.
For 2022 NU Lincoln campus enrollment is ~4x NDSU.
Memorial stadium capacity is about 5x Fargodome.
For 2022 scanned tickets at Memorial were well off the the 80,000 reported attendance figures according to https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/12/06/Colleges/nebraska-football-attendance.aspx
You can also see in that linked article that NU sellouts are being maintained by an industrial strength version of our very own @bisonfanette that is filling seats with "underserved youth"

What I can tell you though from experience living in both locations is that the vibe is very different. Very, very different.

GreenfieldBison
11-02-2023, 02:42 PM

Well if Fargodome crowd demographics echo overall population demographics then at least 50% of the crowd can I guess.:rimshot:

thunderingherd
11-02-2023, 02:48 PM
I surely can't explain the difference in draw between NU and NDSU other than FBS vs FCS. On the surface both situations seem very similar. But here is some data:
Nebraska population is > 2x North Dakota.
For 2022 NU Lincoln campus enrollment is ~4x NDSU.
Memorial stadium capacity is about 5x Fargodome.
For 2022 scanned tickets at Memorial were well off the the 80,000 reported attendance figures according to https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/12/06/Colleges/nebraska-football-attendance.aspx
You can also see in that linked article that NU sellouts are being maintained by an industrial strength version of our very own @bisonfanette that is filling seats with "underserved youth"

What I can tell you though from experience living in both locations is that the vibe is very different. Very, very different.

Yep, agree. 4x in enrollment alone, spread out through time, gives them a huge fan base to draw from. passionate fan base plus power 5 opponents draws alumni/fans from Omaha and the surrounding areas more than western illinois draws alumni from minneapolis for us.

BigLakeBison
11-02-2023, 02:54 PM
The decline in attendance and growing apathy was starting pre-pandemic. It hasn't happened overnight and it is something that the admin should have been doing more to stem 5 years ago. Success or lack thereof obviously has an effect on attendance and we are seeing that now but the reality is that it is about far more than that and the leadership has been too complacent in my opinion when dealing with it. I do think competition matters which is why I feel we should have been making a much more aggressive push for FBS but I also understand that it is not within NDSU's control completely. Even without FBS competition, there are so many other things that they do have more control over that could have been attempted. It is really difficult for me to cast blame towards the fanbase when their only real way to affect change is to speak with their dollars. They've been doing that and the leadership has been very slow to notice and take action.

tony
11-02-2023, 02:54 PM
so location shaming to fat shaming?

I believe that "fat asses" is more of a term denoting laziness / lack of motivation.

People have shorter attention spans, and as we saw with WBB, fans will show up for winning teams and then interest drops off over time. The teams don't even have to be awful. People always talk like that Bison football was trash in 1990s, but they won 75% of their games. And even going DI didn't solve anything because attendance only averaged 13k in 2004 (and that wasn't a turnstile count) after an 8-3 season. The sad fact for Bison football is that if it's not a 1-loss season or a national championship, people get down on the program. Part of the problem was that back in 2004, the FargoDome was run like a minimum security prison.

Going to Bison football games requires a significant commitment of both time and money so the AD and FargoDome need to constantly work at making the place a more attractive place to be on a Saturday. Things like allowing tailgaters to set up the night before are not that expensive, for example, so start there.

BISONBRI53
11-02-2023, 03:15 PM

That is the perception out there though.... Not an excuse but...

TAILG8R
11-02-2023, 03:35 PM
Remember when ML said he had listened to the fans and changes were coming to the game day environment ...

Other than finally getting the tshirt machine gun working finally I'm not sure what has changed.

tony
11-02-2023, 03:52 PM
Remember when ML said he had listened to the fans and changes were coming to the game day environment ...

Other than finally getting the tshirt machine gun working finally I'm not sure what has changed.

Well, the place did get beer too.

Of course, listening and doing something are different, apparently, because I think that the #1 wish for the student section (who, imo, are the real most valuable fans) would be wifi. Heck, you'd think that people at conventions and whatnot would demand that too.

That said, the FargoDome Authority has a lot more say in game day stuff than our AD.

GreenfieldBison
11-02-2023, 04:06 PM
Well, the place did get beer too.

Of course, listening and doing something are different, apparently, because I think that the #1 wish for the student section (who, imo, are the real most valuable fans) would be wifi. Heck, you'd think that people at conventions and whatnot would demand that too.

That said, the FargoDome Authority has a lot more say in game day stuff than our AD.
What is the nature of the struggle with getting WiFi? Any ideas?

bison22
11-02-2023, 04:27 PM
Mojo Weerts is showing as Matt Weerts on Gobison.com roster page... so I'm going to say he lost the most.

tony
11-02-2023, 04:37 PM
What is the nature of the struggle with getting WiFi? Any ideas?

The FargoDome folks said it was too expensive - and it's not a one-time expense. Plus the FargoDome is a heavy-duty enclosed building... so, like most of its problems, removing the corner supports would solve a lot of problems (and add some interesting new ones.)

Mr Pep Band
11-02-2023, 04:57 PM

This is what i think is going on behind the scenes that we see the results of.

Matt Larson and every other upper management person: What do the people want?

Fans: GAME DAY Atmosphere!

Upper Management: Give them mini foam footballs! (but only in first 20 rows)

Fans: We want better concession foods!

Upper Management: .........................

Fans: We want alcohol served at games!

Upper Management: Give them permission to bring alcohol into select sections with poor signage and directions. Charge $$ for convivence.

Fans: We want WiFi!

Upper Management: Give them T-shirts (but only in first 15 rows)

Fans: We want engagement and fun time!

Upper Management: Cut expenditures.

THEsocalledfan
11-02-2023, 05:01 PM

Upper Management: Give them permission to bring alcohol into select sections with poor signage and directions. Charge $$ for convivence.

The Dome management, in the can't make this shit up category, said wifi was not a priority when they are ready to pour a bunch of money into updates. amazing

thunderingherd
11-02-2023, 05:13 PM
I believe that "fat asses" is more of a term denoting laziness / lack of motivation.

People have shorter attention spans, and as we saw with WBB, fans will show up for winning teams and then interest drops off over time. The teams don't even have to be awful. People always talk like that Bison football was trash in 1990s, but they won 75% of their games. And even going DI didn't solve anything because attendance only averaged 13k in 2004 (and that wasn't a turnstile count) after an 8-3 season. The sad fact for Bison football is that if it's not a 1-loss season or a national championship, people get down on the program. Part of the problem was that back in 2004, the FargoDome was run like a minimum security prison.

Going to Bison football games requires a significant commitment of both time and money so the AD and FargoDome need to constantly work at making the place a more attractive place to be on a Saturday. Things like allowing tailgaters to set up the night before are not that expensive, for example, so start there.

Yep, I was more joking than anything. agreed.

TAILG8R
11-02-2023, 05:20 PM

And don't even get me started on the embarrassing shit some of these large companies are "giving away". A poor college kid has to make at least one shitty fake beanbag that flies kind of like a frisbee into an inflatable cornhole board ... and if he manages to make one ... he gets $25 to Hornbachers!!! Are you fucking kidding me Hornbachers??? $25!!! Every time this happens at games I am genuinely embarrassed for them.

BISONBRI53
11-02-2023, 05:38 PM
And don't even get me started on the embarrassing shit some of these large companies are "giving away". A poor college kid has to make at least one shitty fake beanbag that flies kind of like a frisbee into an inflatable cornhole board ... and if he manages to make one ... he gets $25 to Hornbachers!!! Are you fucking kidding me Hornbachers??? $25!!! Every time this happens at games I am genuinely embarrassed for them.

BUT!!!!!! They have the NAPA find a car on the screens!!!! ALWAYS gets me!!!!

Kevin
11-02-2023, 05:43 PM
TAB is teh only correct answer to this bro.

He can't even spell mojo.

Bisonguy
11-02-2023, 06:14 PM
The FargoDome folks said it was too expensive - and it's not a one-time expense. Plus the FargoDome is a heavy-duty enclosed building... so, like most of its problems, removing the corner supports would solve a lot of problems (and add some interesting new ones.)

They don't see much return on the cost, unlike most large venues/buildings built or renovated in the last 5 years.

bisonfanette
11-02-2023, 07:18 PM
Since most are just hearing silence, interested in what they said.
Was it a reasonable response, dismissive, or argumentative?
What I wonder sometimes is do they have Ivory Tower mentality, and just not care about fan concerns.
Or think 99% of people are happy, and all is well.

On October 24 (two games ago) under Bison fatigue, I posted that I sent an email to Admin. My concerns included lack of student and fan enthusiasm/engagement, including the fact that I wasn’t able to give tickets away! That hasn’t happened since 2018. The reply included reasons for lack of attendance. Hunting season (that would be pheasant) strength of the opponent, and hopefully it was an anomaly. I disagreed. (I have found homes for Tickets since 2018.) I replied with a 2nd email. Let’s just say… you should send emails & they do read Bisonville.

GreenfieldBison
11-02-2023, 07:32 PM
On October 24 (two games ago) under Bison fatigue, I posted that I sent an email to Admin. My concerns included lack of student and fan enthusiasm/engagement, including the fact that I wasn’t able to give tickets away! That hasn’t happened since 2018. The reply included reasons for lack of attendance. Hunting season (that would be pheasant) strength of the opponent, and hopefully it was an anomaly. I disagreed. (I have found homes for Tickets since 2018.) I replied with a 2nd email. Let’s just say… you should send emails & they do read Bisonville.
Absolutely. No matter whether you are a six figure donor or not even a member of Teammakers. If you are a participant on this forum you are an engaged fan and as such one of the admins prime customers. Your voice is important and most likely wanted. Be respectful. Be polite. And as always if you are going to highlight problems please offer solution(s). Write to them.

@bisonfanette - if you continue to have issues donating tickets to vets/first responders I noted in an article regarding NU earlier today that they are maintaining sellouts by giving tix to underserved youth. I don't know if FM has a substantive enough population but that seems like a good use and could even provide a fertile recruiting ground in future years.

cbline
11-02-2023, 07:58 PM
My prediction: Bison lose the last three games of the season.

Bisonator98
11-02-2023, 08:00 PM
My prediction: Bison lose the last three games of the season.

Well aren't you an optimist.....:uhyeah:

BiZon22
11-02-2023, 08:07 PM

It’s also not a fair comparison as there are more people in the Omaha metro than all of North Dakota. Add in the Lincoln metro and I would bet the total is close to ND and SD combined

BigLakeBison
11-02-2023, 08:12 PM

No kidding. I can't remember seeing anyone win one of those when I have been in attendance. They either need to make the activities much easier if the prize is $25 or they need to up the prize. Most of those slim odds type of contests (half court shots, etc.) can be covered by an insurance premium that lessens the cost to the business significantly but it ups the "fun" factor greatly because of the chance at a much larger prize. Maybe they could give away more Bison swag through contests. 8-9 years ago my family was at a Twins game early and were chosen to go down on the field and do a trivia game. It was my daughter and I against my wife and my son. Didn't really matter who won, they just wanted the pre-game entertainment. We ended up walking out of there with (2) Twins jackets, a Twins backpack, a Twins baseball glove and (4) Twins hats. The retail value of it all was in excess of $350 if we purchased it from the Pro Shop. Cool experience and memory for the whole family.

thunderingherd
11-02-2023, 08:14 PM

Things that won't factor into my decision to buy tickets and go to a game: Better concessions (good enough) - beer sold at the dome (I like beer but has zero factor in me buying a ticket) - fan engagement (the game, a Win, loud fans and some music is good) - game day atmosphere improvements (pretty good FCS atmosphere already) - WIFI (maybe I'm too old?)

Things that would get me to buy tickets: cheaper tickets (3kids) - more GA tailgating right by the dome (why not more on the east side?) - opponent.

Thats just me.

BisManBison
11-02-2023, 08:28 PM

I knew when NDG&F proposed a pheasant hunting season for North Dakota back in 2018 that it was going to cause attendance problems for the football program.

BattleBorn
11-02-2023, 08:36 PM
Things that won't factor into my decision to buy tickets and go to a game: Better concessions (good enough) - beer sold at the dome (I like beer but has zero factor in me buying a ticket) - fan engagement (the game, a Win, loud fans and some music is good) - game day atmosphere improvements (pretty good FCS atmosphere already) - WIFI (maybe I'm too old?)

Things that would get me to buy tickets: cheaper tickets (3kids) - more GA tailgating right by the dome (why not more on the east side?) - opponent.

Thats just me.

I do not understand the NDSU/Fargodome/City of Fargo's fear of tailgating. Not sure where the issue lies, but the amount of law enforcement at these things is absolutely bonkers to me. If I were to commit a crime, it would absolutely be on a Saturday about noon on opening weekend. I swear every cop in a 200 mile radius is there. That and the Dome staff treats tailgaters like criminals. I do appreciate the ample porta potties though. Well done to all involved.

scottietohottie
11-02-2023, 10:30 PM
I knew when NDG&F proposed a pheasant hunting season for North Dakota back in 2018 that it was going to cause attendance problems for the football program.

the game and fish should make peasant hunting once in a lifetime just like moose and big horn sheep to get some fans back to ndsu eh

DCinOK
11-02-2023, 10:52 PM
Whoever is to blame...Entz, the AD, the fan base, the Bison players, the Fargo metro, ...it is disgusting/horrifying that we go into the sdsu game sounding/acting like what sdsu used to sound/act like going into the ndsu game.

mtoutfitter
11-02-2023, 11:09 PM
the game and fish should make peasant hunting once in a lifetime just like moose and big horn sheep to get some fans back to ndsu eh

But why would you wanna shoot a poor "peasant"?

GreenfieldBison
11-02-2023, 11:12 PM
But why would you wanna shoot a poor "peasant"?
Yeah if he says it’s because “they’re tasty” this could get fugly.

mtoutfitter
11-02-2023, 11:20 PM
Yeah if he says it’s because “they’re tasty” this could get fugly.

He'd have to change his to "Scottietodahmie"

scottietohottie
11-02-2023, 11:49 PM
Good thing I used purple. Fhawking auto correct eh.

GreenfieldBison
11-03-2023, 02:20 AM
Good thing I used purple. Fhawking auto correct eh.
Just wait til the AI starts finishing the posts eh.

El_Chapo
11-03-2023, 03:08 AM

Yes Recruiting and losing FBS KIDS to: Kansas State, 3 at Colorado State, JMU, Coastal, USF...

Fans needed a crescendo.. not a PLATEAU *which I did a thread on about 5-6 years ago* and voila, I was nostradamous. ..

and yes EVERY GIVE AWAY should be $100 minimum you cheap F___

I've been selling tickets for 10+ years. Sect 7 10 24 28? basically the 4 corners has 10+ rows WIDE OPEN every game.

YOU Announce on Friday Mornings: $25 Seats from 9am-5pm and you'd make those available. they'd sell those last 1000-2000 tickets easily!

KC_Hats
11-03-2023, 03:12 AM
If I remember correctly if Trey Lance didn't leave early for the NFL he might still be the Bison QB. What do you think happens if Lance is still the Bison QB? Cam Miller has done very well by winning a National Championship and getting the team to a second National Championship game. But losing a QB as talented as Lance is a big blow to a FCS program. The Bison just need to get the QB room and progression back on track.

Kevin
11-03-2023, 03:27 AM
If I remember correctly if Trey Lance didn't leave early for the NFL he might still be the Bison QB. What do you think happens if Lance is still the Bison QB? Cam Miller has done very well by winning a National Championship and getting the team to a second National Championship game. But losing a QB as talented as Lance is a big blow to a FCS program. The Bison just need to get the QB room and progression back on track.

Trey wins games by himself in spite of the staff. He proved that in his one year.

GreenfieldBison
11-03-2023, 01:08 PM
As I've said here before I am not football expert so as always take my opinion with a shaker of salt. To me the QB room has not been the larger issue. It is line play on both sides first and foremost and then, to PL's and Tailg8r's points if they are playing safeties as linebackers I think that is an issue.

As much as I find shotgun and designed qb run game problematic, and am driven to uncontrolled retching by the looky look crap, I don't think offense is the problem. They score enough points to win games. But without looking it up I feel like through the decade of dominance the Bison defenses allowed no more than around two TD's average per game per season. I believe that has slipped, whatever the actual number is. For certain the number of allowed pts/game has a one handle.

Back to your question, would the results have been markedly different with Trey behind (and rarely, under) center? Perhaps. But it would just have been masking this larger issue IMHO.

Edit:* for reference, thus far in 2023 NDSU pts allowed per game averages 18 with a standard deviation of 14.49!!! Tough opponents yet to come.
randomly picking 2017 pts allowed per game averaged 11.6 with a standard deviation of 8.23. That included allowing 33 to bunnies in Brookings.

* busting out some actual statistical values here which, unlike raw data, CAN (be used to) lie. I assert that they are not doing so as presented here.

BigHorns
11-03-2023, 03:07 PM
As I've said here before I am not football expert so as always take my opinion with a shaker of salt. To me the QB room has not been the larger issue. It is line play on both sides first and foremost and then, to PL's and Tailg8r's points if they are playing safeties as linebackers I think that is an issue.

As much as I find shotgun and designed qb run game problematic, and am driven to uncontrolled retching by the looky look crap, I don't think offense is the problem. They score enough points to win games. But without looking it up I feel like through the decade of dominance the Bison defenses allowed no more than around two TD's average per game per season. I believe that has slipped, whatever the actual number is. For certain the number of allowed pts/game has a one handle.

Back to your question, would the results have been markedly different with Trey behind (and rarely, under) center? Perhaps. But it would just have been masking this larger issue IMHO.

Edit:* for reference, thus far in 2023 NDSU pts allowed per game averages 18 with a standard deviation of 14.49!!! Tough opponents yet to come.
randomly picking 2017 pts allowed per game averaged 11.6 with a standard deviation of 8.23. That included allowing 33 to bunnies in Brookings.

* busting out some actual statistical values here which, unlike raw data, CAN (be used to) lie. I assert that they are not doing so as presented here.

Well said, and laid out. Just about exactly how I see it. The defense is the glaring concern. The offense might not be perfect, but it has done enough that we should be winning. When teams can run it right up the gut on us, thats a problem. Defense is what brought us championships.

Twincitybizon
11-03-2023, 06:03 PM
Playing smaller lb's wasn't too big an issue until the d line stopped winning. Also being ndsu and not having a specialized o line coach is sacrilege. The o line should be the best position group on the team. They have greatly underwhelmed. Enough of other position coaches giving o line a try. Get a guy who knows what they're doing

Jim Puetz
11-03-2023, 06:19 PM
Is the o-line issue a talent issue or a scheme issue? I think it's a scheme issue. When we get under center, the blocking appears much better on run plays. You can't complain about the pass blocking because Cam and Cole have had plenty of time. I think the slow developing run plays out of the shotgun is a scheme that isn't well suited to this group of linemen.

El_Chapo
11-03-2023, 06:43 PM
this shotgun stuff is stupid. that's a big issue ndsu has this year.

That combined with the fact that our OL doesn't have any mean SOBs on it is another factor.

bring back some OL nastiness somehow.

scottietohottie
11-03-2023, 06:47 PM
R u guys ready for the shit show this place is going to be for teh next 3 weeks eh? Get some rest tonight eh.

bruinbison
11-03-2023, 06:51 PM
Yes Recruiting and losing FBS KIDS to: Kansas State, 3 at Colorado State, JMU, Coastal, USF...

Fans needed a crescendo.. not a PLATEAU *which I did a thread on about 5-6 years ago* and voila, I was nostradamous. ..

and yes EVERY GIVE AWAY should be $100 minimum you cheap F___

I've been selling tickets for 10+ years. Sect 7 10 24 28? basically the 4 corners has 10+ rows WIDE OPEN every game.

YOU Announce on Friday Mornings: $25 Seats from 9am-5pm and you'd make those available. they'd sell those last 1000-2000 tickets easily!

And by your own previous words - you have been all over that recruiting isn’t good the last 3 classes……

The current class are seniors in high school, not on campus yet.
The 2nd class are the true freshman, currently redshirting.
The 3rd class is the current RFr class.

Remember every time you hurl yourself at David Braun because he is now a FBS Head Coach at Northwestern - As NDSU’s Defensive Coordinator he is one of the decision-makers who changed the Bison recruiting style and went smaller/quicker to combat spread offenses…

And you have yet to notice that these last 3 recruiting classes, imo, have headed back towards bigger prospects. Those players are either not on campus yet, or very young still.

All that being said, I’ll totally give props to SDSU for everything they have done.
The computers say they are one of the best FCS teams ever.
Heard Dom & Jeff say the Jacks have 15 6th year seniors.
3 starters on the OL included, at least 2 who are NFL prospects.
This will be a great victory for NDSU if they can pull it off!
GoBizon!!!

GreenfieldBison
11-03-2023, 07:12 PM
R u guys ready for the shit show this place is going to be for teh next 3 weeks eh? Get some rest tonight eh.
R U prepared to ship out some product for those in need?

El_Chapo
11-03-2023, 07:28 PM
And by your own previous words - you have been all over that recruiting isn’t good the last 3 classes……

The current class are seniors in high school, not on campus yet.
The 2nd class are the true freshman, currently redshirting.
The 3rd class is the current RFr class.

Remember every time you hurl yourself at David Braun because he is now a FBS Head Coach at Northwestern - As NDSU’s Defensive Coordinator he is one of the decision-makers who changed the Bison recruiting style and went smaller/quicker to combat spread offenses…

And you have yet to notice that these last 3 recruiting classes, imo, have headed back towards bigger prospects. Those players are either not on campus yet, or very young still.

All that being said, I’ll totally give props to SDSU for everything they have done.
The computers say they are one of the best FCS teams ever.
Heard Dom & Jeff say the Jacks have 15 6th year seniors.
3 starters on the OL included, at least 2 who are NFL prospects.
This will be a great victory for NDSU if they can pull it off!
GoBizon!!!

cant wait to see how all these walk on's work out.. on the edge of my seat.

NDSU NEEDS STAR POWER PERIOD!

M Will, Crockett
Wentz
Stick
Lance

We need the swag back

TAILG8R
11-03-2023, 07:41 PM

M Will, Crockett
Wentz
Stick
Lance

We need the swag back

lol other than Lance there are no recruiting stars on that list and Crockett even had to go to school for a year before he could play.

LefseBison
11-03-2023, 07:45 PM

I am going on sabbatical (unpaid) for a while. I have enough blood pressure problems as it is. :facepalm2:

steelbison
11-03-2023, 08:01 PM
lol other than Lance there are no recruiting stars on that list and Crockett even had to go to school for a year before he could play.

??? Totally disagree. Crockett and M Will had academic issues but both studs.

Stick was a huge recruit and Carson was a late bloomer that had a MAC offer if I remember correctly.

TAILG8R
11-03-2023, 08:15 PM
??? Totally disagree. Crockett and M Will had academic issues but both studs.

Stick was a huge recruit and Carson was a late bloomer that had a MAC offer if I remember correctly.

I said recruiting stars. As in none of them were star rated recruits by places like 24/7 etc.

They were all star players for NDSU yea.

tony
11-03-2023, 08:31 PM

Here's some fun reading: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?15301-Brock-Jensen-Commit (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?15301-Brock-Jensen-Commits&p=248148#post248148)

The thing about stars is that they are based mainly on who has offered. Back in the day, getting an offer from NDSU didn't boost a recruit's star rating. Now it does.

mtoutfitter
11-03-2023, 08:45 PM
Here's some fun reading: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?15301-Brock-Jensen-Commit (http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?15301-Brock-Jensen-Commits&p=248148#post248148)

The thing about stars is that they are based mainly on who has offered. Back in the day, getting an offer from NDSU didn't boost a recruit's star rating. Now it does.

Great read from the past, thanks for posting Tony. Lakes proving his superior knowledge once again. Also enjoyed seeing the BANNED under his screen name. How I long for the old times....:cheers:

Kevin
11-03-2023, 11:17 PM

Stick was a pretty big get. I don't know what the stars involved were but everyone knew we hit the jackpot there.

Everyone except the Cornhuskers apparently.

BisonCardinal
11-03-2023, 11:36 PM
Our defense. We just don't seem to have the swarming defense like we used to. I always counted on the coaching staff to find the adjustments and the players to execute them, especially in the second half. Sadly I am starting to dread second halfs now.

TAILG8R
11-03-2023, 11:36 PM
Stick was a pretty big get. I don't know what the stars involved were but everyone knew we hit the jackpot there.

I know and I agree

My post was in response to Chapo saying we needed to be getting all 3 stars like … and he named off 4 dudes that had no stars that are some of the best players in NDSU history.

El_Chapo
11-03-2023, 11:51 PM
MWILL had Clemson on him
Crockett had Michigan State

Neither Qualified..

Wentz had CMU
Lance had Gophers
Stick had Big Ten offer and others.

I was talking more about STARS ON THE FIELD... like People wanted to come see them!

TAILG8R
11-04-2023, 12:21 AM
MWILL had Clemson on him

Neither Qualified..

Wentz had CMU
Lance had Gophers

I was talking more about STARS ON THE FIELD... like People wanted to come see them!

You’re living revisionist history man. No one was more excited about those dudes coming out of high school than the top three gets each and every year.

No one knows how any recruit will work out.

El_Chapo
11-04-2023, 12:36 AM
I still need to see NDSU CODE GREEN DEFENSE

garbageman
11-04-2023, 12:45 AM
MWILL had Clemson on him

Neither Qualified..

Wentz had CMU
Lance had Gophers

Weertz was offered by Kansas State so what

LefseBison
11-04-2023, 01:04 AM

I remember an interview with Stick when he first came to NDSU. He spoke about how impressed he was with the coaches who came to his house when he was looking for a school to attend, and met his family. Never underestimate the importance of a coach's personality and authenticity. If my memory serves me correctly, he had an offer from Rutgers as well. :duel:

scottietohottie
11-04-2023, 01:08 AM
I remember an interview with Stick when he first came to NDSU. He spoke about how impressed he was with the coaches who came to his house when he was looking for a school to attend, and met his family. Never underestimate the importance of a coach's personality and authenticity. If my memory serves me correctly, he had an offer from Rutgers as well. :duel:

Now they smoke Marlboros on teh recruits deck eh

bruinbison
11-04-2023, 01:43 PM

M Will, Crockett
Wentz
Stick
Lance

We need the swag back

Coach Erhardt at NDSU had walk-ons.
Coach Bohl at NDSU had walk-ons.
Coach Klieman at NDSU had walk-ons.

Coach Bohl at Wyoming has walk-ons.
Coach Klieman at Kansas State has walk-ons.

You are on a lonely island with this D2 level post opposing NDSU having a Preferred Walk On Program.
It’s like you enjoy spreading Bisonville Fatigue. :evil:
It’s way past time you retired this same old same old wash rinse repeat thing you have made up…
With D2 posts like this no way the Mountain West Conference takes the NDSU fan base seriously!

HerdThat!
11-04-2023, 05:04 PM

Move up

All of this ^^^
We can still maintain “tradition” while advancing things to continue to promote the program and our athletics.
It’s really starting to feel like we missed capitalizing on our momentum to move up and grow upon what was being built during the run. Our brand went nationwide, we see coaches seeing major success at the next level, we see competition seeing success at the next level, and now shitbags like SDSU are starting to surpass us cuz we waited.

CaBisonFan
11-04-2023, 05:25 PM
All of this ^^^
We can still maintain “tradition” while advancing things to continue to promote the program and our athletics.
It’s really starting to feel like we missed capitalizing on our momentum to move up and grow upon what was being built during the run. Our brand went nationwide, we see coaches seeing major success at the next level, we see competition seeing success at the next level, and now shitbags like SDSU are starting to surpass us cuz we waited.Waited 7 or 8 years too long. Once the Bison started to repeat as national champs it was time to move. Keep the others in the dust. Oh well. People were having too much fun in Frisco.